Is the lack of fingerprint scanner a deal breaker for you?

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm very tempted by this phone.
Great value for money for what you get.
The main thing that I keep coming back to though is the lack of fingerprint scanner.
It's not something I'm really bothered about now but with all the talk of Android M and how the scanner could start being used more is this a big deal or not?
Thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Is lack of fingerprint scanner a big deal?

Not at all. Finger scanner was never deal breaker for me.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

For me yeah. I have used the s6,note 4,5,zf2, and g4 . on the n5 and s6,I used the fingerprint scanner to unlock the screen and put me on the home screen. On then 4, g4 and zf2,I had Android wear set up as a trusted device, such wasn't as secure as fingerprint, plus you had to turn the phone on and swipe to unlock. On the s6 and n5,you just press and hold the home button and it puts you on the home screen (or whatever screen you used last).

And yes the note 4 had a fingerprint scanner but I could never get it to work well

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Don't know about deal breaker but something which I love on my iPhone and Note 5, would have loved to have it on Moto X as well given how easier fingerprint scanner makes life easier to unlock the phone and use in nfc payment. That's the only negative I can think of this phone but not a deal breaker IMO.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

iAmEFFeX

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

No, it is not a big deal to me. I would not really have a use for it. I don't keep my phone locked and if I ever (which probably won't) use mobile payment, I'd be fine with entering a pin. It's cool, but not a necessity for me. Besides, I'm the type of person that is too paranoid to store my fingerprint anywhere, lol.

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

For me yeah. I have used the s6,note 4,5,zf2, and g4 . on the n5 and s6,I used the fingerprint scanner to unlock the screen and put me on the home screen. On then 4, g4 and zf2,I had Android wear set up as a trusted device, such wasn't as secure as fingerprint, plus you had to turn the phone on and swipe to unlock. On the s6 and n5,you just press and hold the home button and it puts you on the home screen (or whatever screen you used last).

And yes the note 4 had a fingerprint scanner but I could never get it to work well

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

How is the S6 in general? This is another phone I'm considering as it is now coming down in price.
It's just TouchWiz and some people complaining about poor battery life that puts me off going for the S6....

samwapp

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

Would it be nice to have? Yeah, but when I had it on my S5 I literally never used it. It definitely isn't a deal breaker

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

Don't know about deal breaker but something which I love on my iPhone and Note 5, would have loved to have it on Moto X as well given how easier fingerprint scanner makes life easier to unlock the phone and use in nfc payment. That's the only negative I can think of this phone but not a deal breaker IMO.

I guess my main concern is that the fingerprint scanner starts to get used more and more once android M rolls out, maybe used by apps to do various jobs?

At least if the phone has a fingerprint scanner you're 'future proofed'.

Or maybe that's a long way off?

I do really want to experience pure android with a small sprinkling of moto goodness!

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Would it be nice to have? Yeah, but when I had it on my S5 I literally never used it. It definitely isn't a deal breaker

Any 2014 and earlier ANDROID implementation of it worked very poorly. The S6 and of course the iPhone 6's made it fluid, fast, and extremely useful. As pretty much every flagship moving forward has designed in a finger print scanner, you better believe it's the present and future. With that in mind, yes, I am disappointed the Pure is lacking it. If you're a person who truly keeps a phone for 2 years +, I would wait for the new Nexus 6 or the Xperia Z5 Premium. If you need something now, the S6 is a great phone, and the fingerprint scanner works flawlessly, and I'm sure the Note 5's implementation is just as good. I currently have the S6 and the LG G4, and I find myself using the S6 80% of the time.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If Android Pay authenticates similar to Google Wallet, then no.

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

I also had numerous finger print scanner phones which ive grown to love. It was a concern but not a deal breaker for me because i'll most likely have a new phone in a year and as for now i dont see a total need for it other then convienence. I will have to admit if it did have one at this price point it would be the best phone of 2015 hands down based on style, expandability, custimization, turbo charging, 2k display and price...That is the only thing the trolls could really say bad about the phone. The goods far out way the one bad thing..

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

How is the S6 in general? This is another phone I'm considering as it is now coming down in price.
It's just TouchWiz and some people complaining about poor battery life that puts me off going for the S6....

dont do it i have an s6 and the lag is insane it has so many ram management issues...

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I wish it was there, but its not a deal breaker to me, for the most part I use BT feature when it knows I am in the car, home, work to keep it unlocked otherwise its not a big deal.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

Fingerprint scanner on my Note 4 works great! I'll miss it, sure. But it's definitely not a deal breaker. I just ordered the X Pure Edition and it will be delivered on 9/15. Anybody want to buy a Note 4 and Gear S (T-Mobile) for a really good price?

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Not a dealbreaker.

While a nice feature, I don't mind using the PIN to use Google Wallet. It allows me to input it once per day and use it freely.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

Like some have said, it would be nice to have it if it worked as well as the scanner on the iPhone but I don't see it as a deal breaker. I set up trusted locations and trusted devices so when I'm at home or have it paired to certain devices, the phone remains unlocked.

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I think it may have to be between this and the LG Nexus.....
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Seems most are happy to go with the Pure regardless of fingerprint scanner.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay