09-06-2015 07:53 AM
30 12
tools
    I'm very tempted by this phone.
    Great value for money for what you get.
    The main thing that I keep coming back to though is the lack of fingerprint scanner.
    It's not something I'm really bothered about now but with all the talk of Android M and how the scanner could start being used more is this a big deal or not?
    Thoughts?

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-03-2015 05:03 PM
    Sure would've made android pay easier
    09-03-2015 05:07 PM
    Not at all. Finger scanner was never deal breaker for me.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    09-03-2015 05:10 PM
    For me yeah. I have used the s6,note 4,5,zf2, and g4 . on the n5 and s6,I used the fingerprint scanner to unlock the screen and put me on the home screen. On then 4, g4 and zf2,I had Android wear set up as a trusted device, such wasn't as secure as fingerprint, plus you had to turn the phone on and swipe to unlock. On the s6 and n5,you just press and hold the home button and it puts you on the home screen (or whatever screen you used last).

And yes the note 4 had a fingerprint scanner but I could never get it to work well

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    CTalman likes this.
    09-03-2015 05:14 PM
    Don't know about deal breaker but something which I love on my iPhone and Note 5, would have loved to have it on Moto X as well given how easier fingerprint scanner makes life easier to unlock the phone and use in nfc payment. That's the only negative I can think of this phone but not a deal breaker IMO.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Riccardo C and CTalman like this.
    09-03-2015 05:15 PM
    No, it is not a big deal to me. I would not really have a use for it. I don't keep my phone locked and if I ever (which probably won't) use mobile payment, I'd be fine with entering a pin. It's cool, but not a necessity for me. Besides, I'm the type of person that is too paranoid to store my fingerprint anywhere, lol.
    CTalman likes this.
    09-03-2015 05:19 PM
    For me yeah. I have used the s6,note 4,5,zf2, and g4 . on the n5 and s6,I used the fingerprint scanner to unlock the screen and put me on the home screen. On then 4, g4 and zf2,I had Android wear set up as a trusted device, such wasn't as secure as fingerprint, plus you had to turn the phone on and swipe to unlock. On the s6 and n5,you just press and hold the home button and it puts you on the home screen (or whatever screen you used last).

And yes the note 4 had a fingerprint scanner but I could never get it to work well

How is the S6 in general? This is another phone I'm considering as it is now coming down in price.
    It's just TouchWiz and some people complaining about poor battery life that puts me off going for the S6....

09-03-2015 05:20 PM
    Would it be nice to have? Yeah, but when I had it on my S5 I literally never used it. It definitely isn't a deal breaker
    CTalman likes this.
    09-03-2015 05:21 PM
    Don't know about deal breaker but something which I love on my iPhone and Note 5, would have loved to have it on Moto X as well given how easier fingerprint scanner makes life easier to unlock the phone and use in nfc payment. That's the only negative I can think of this phone but not a deal breaker IMO.

I guess my main concern is that the fingerprint scanner starts to get used more and more once android M rolls out, maybe used by apps to do various jobs?

At least if the phone has a fingerprint scanner you're 'future proofed'.

Or maybe that's a long way off?

I do really want to experience pure android with a small sprinkling of moto goodness!

09-03-2015 05:24 PM
    Would it be nice to have? Yeah, but when I had it on my S5 I literally never used it. It definitely isn't a deal breaker
    Any 2014 and earlier ANDROID implementation of it worked very poorly. The S6 and of course the iPhone 6's made it fluid, fast, and extremely useful. As pretty much every flagship moving forward has designed in a finger print scanner, you better believe it's the present and future. With that in mind, yes, I am disappointed the Pure is lacking it. If you're a person who truly keeps a phone for 2 years +, I would wait for the new Nexus 6 or the Xperia Z5 Premium. If you need something now, the S6 is a great phone, and the fingerprint scanner works flawlessly, and I'm sure the Note 5's implementation is just as good. I currently have the S6 and the LG G4, and I find myself using the S6 80% of the time.
    CTalman likes this.
    09-03-2015 05:32 PM
    If Android Pay authenticates similar to Google Wallet, then no.
    Clocks and Ntchwaidumela like this.
    09-03-2015 05:49 PM
    If Android Pay authenticates similar to Google Wallet, then no.
    Agreed. I don't mind typing a 4 digit pin into my phone before tapping to pay.
    09-03-2015 05:56 PM

I also had numerous finger print scanner phones which ive grown to love. It was a concern but not a deal breaker for me because i'll most likely have a new phone in a year and as for now i dont see a total need for it other then convienence. I will have to admit if it did have one at this price point it would be the best phone of 2015 hands down based on style, expandability, custimization, turbo charging, 2k display and price...That is the only thing the trolls could really say bad about the phone. The goods far out way the one bad thing..
    CTalman likes this.
    09-03-2015 06:40 PM
    How is the S6 in general? This is another phone I'm considering as it is now coming down in price.
    It's just TouchWiz and some people complaining about poor battery life that puts me off going for the S6....

dont do it i have an s6 and the lag is insane it has so many ram management issues...
    CTalman likes this.
    09-03-2015 06:41 PM
    I wish it was there, but its not a deal breaker to me, for the most part I use BT feature when it knows I am in the car, home, work to keep it unlocked otherwise its not a big deal.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    09-03-2015 08:17 PM
    I do not want a fingerprint scanner.
    09-03-2015 08:30 PM
    Fingerprint scanner on my Note 4 works great! I'll miss it, sure. But it's definitely not a deal breaker. I just ordered the X Pure Edition and it will be delivered on 9/15. Anybody want to buy a Note 4 and Gear S (T-Mobile) for a really good price?
    09-03-2015 08:44 PM
    Not a dealbreaker.

While a nice feature, I don't mind using the PIN to use Google Wallet. It allows me to input it once per day and use it freely.
    09-03-2015 09:05 PM
    Like some have said, it would be nice to have it if it worked as well as the scanner on the iPhone but I don't see it as a deal breaker. I set up trusted locations and trusted devices so when I'm at home or have it paired to certain devices, the phone remains unlocked.
    CTalman likes this.
    09-03-2015 09:06 PM
    I think it may have to be between this and the LG Nexus.....
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
    Seems most are happy to go with the Pure regardless of fingerprint scanner.

09-04-2015 03:16 AM
    I'm coming from the S3 so never used it so it doesnt bother me one bit.

However maybe if I had a phone that had a scanner then it probs would be a major thing.

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.
    CTalman likes this.
    09-04-2015 05:02 AM
    I love fingerprint scanning on my iPhone 6, but never use it on my Samsung Galaxy S6 (disabled it first day).
    Like someone else said: would be nice, but not an issue.
    CTalman likes this.
    09-04-2015 06:05 AM

Battery life is pretty meh. Note 5 easily gets 50% better if not more. It also has more aggressive memory management than the note 5.

Touchwiz is a matter of personal opinion. I always install Nova prime and don't really have a problem with touchwiz personally.

I don't know about your situation, but the Verizon Note 5 at release was $696 - $200 Comcast visa prepaid card - $200 minimum smartphone trade in +$20 cost of junk phone for trade in,for a cost of $316 after promotions. It does require a bit of work an patience though, but imo, worth it compared to $405 ish for the Moto X pure 32gb at best buy with 10% movers coupon.

CTalman likes this.
    09-04-2015 07:55 AM
    Fingerprint scanner is not a deal breaker for me either
    09-05-2015 07:33 AM
    No, if someone steal my fingerprints he would have easy access to everything on my phone and he could pay with stolen phone and its much harder to steal password that's in my mind, stealing fingerprints is much easier so no fingerprint scanner is + for me

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    09-05-2015 10:40 AM
30 12