Cell Standby issue

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I know no one can answer yet, but I'm thinking maybe from people who has Nexus line can answer as the vanilla android thinking doesn't have this cell standby issue.

Im on Verizon and really want to go back to Android and so I got the S6 edge and immediately had cell standby issue draining massive battery. Then I switched to the regular S6 but same problem. Then I tried the G4 which had the same problem....and lastly just tried the Note 5 and of course had this problem.

I'm not an expert and looking on forums and suggestions, I did everything suggested and I believe it's not lack of my knowledge but something possibly what Verizon is doing to these phones cause it can't be coincidence that all 4 phones had the exact same problem.

So I want to try the XPE hoping that verizon will leave their hands off and so I won't experience this dreadful cell standby issue.

What do you guys think? Please don't tell me that you didn't have problem with other phones...AGAIN, I'M ON VERIZON and I had this same problem with all 4 phones. And everyone I know has this same problem. They just deal with it.

Oh...this problem happens cause I leave my wifi on home and at work where I have low cell signal. When out and about I turn off wifi and the cell standby not completely but almost diminishes where it's no longer a problem.

I don't believe that you have to turn off and on every single time (BT, wifi, gps, etc) to just get by the day. I have an iphone 6 and even with them I don't turn anything off and I can easily get by the day.

Thanks in advance...as I really want to place an order! Sorry for the long post!

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It's been fairly widely reported across multiple phones and carriers on phones that are on 5.0 and higher, with .0.1 and .0.2 seeming to have it the worst. Even the Nexus devices seem to have the problem, I've come across forum posts in places with people who have Nexus devices complaining about it. I'd say it is an Android OS issue and not so much a carrier or OEM caused issue. Lollipop is just a buggy mess, really. I'd reckon the Pure will have the issue too to some extent. It is a really random bug at times, for some reason.

Hopefully 6.0 fixed things.

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I see. But it's funny cause vast majority seems to be ok and that's majority on T-Mobile or att. But I'm sure you're right about being an android problem and not carrier dependent.

Just for me this problem cause all those phones mentioned only last half to at most 3/4 day. Guess my only hope then according to you is to wait for 6.0 to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It seems to tie into VoLTE. I disabled the 'enhanced' LTE on my AT&T S6 and the cell standby issue went away and has never come back. If I enable it then the cell standby issue comes roaring back. Some people said that didn't fix their S6 though so who knows. Bugs with 5.0 are tough to pin down since Lollipop wasn't the shining, great, update Google said it was.

On the plus side if any phone is less likely to have it, it would definitely be the Pure.

Scottacus

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Cell Standby issues have been pretty widespread on Lollipop. There is a specific issue around VoLTE (regardless of stock vs skinned), but I also had it on a HTC One Google Play Edition (stock Android) without VoLTE.

Maybe wait until the X Pure is available at Best Buy and try one there (with easy local returns) to see if you can avoid it?

FWIW I have a Note 5 now and haven't experienced the issue with VoLTE off or on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon