Accessories: Turbo Charger, Quick Charge, Home/External/Car chargers for Moto X

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Will I be able to use a Quick Charge 2.0 charger with the Moto X Pure? Will it be as fast?

Is it the same thing? Is Motorola just licensing the technology from Qualcomm?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: TurboPower versus Quick Charge 2.0

Will I be able to use a Quick Charge 2.0 charger with the Moto X Pure? Will it be as fast?

Is it the same thing? Is Motorola just licensing the technology from Qualcomm?

Same thing.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Rem3Dy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Usb-c is a standard for the connector and data throughput. Has nothing to do with charging.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Usb c is only the cable. Quick charge 2.0 requires a compatible charger and device

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

@RY ... do u know if USB-C takes the place of the quick charger? like if there's USB-C is quick charge even needed?

USB Type C is only a connector standard.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com

Usb type c dosent have any quicker charging than standard micro usb

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Whatever the case, I suggest turning the feature off, unless not keeping the phone beyond a year, or have a warranty. I worked for Enersys and Exide battery in quality and process control for two years so have a technical understanding. The cells ability to maintain capacitance declines much more quickly with such additional push of charge.

Using every now and then though will be fine (less than 20% of time).

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Whatever the case, I suggest turning the feature off, unless not keeping the phone beyond a year, or have a warranty. I worked for Enersys and Exide battery in quality and process control for two years so have a technical understanding. The cells ability to maintain capacitance declines much more quickly with such additional push of charge.

Hi mate

That is something I didn't know and it does concern me as it is a feature I was looking forward to using, so am I better off just charging it normally like I do my Xperia Z3? as I reckon I would be keeping this phone over a year or so.

Andy

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for that info. I definitely plan to have this phone for more than a year, so anything to keep it going strong longer is great to know.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site

How many years ago did you work there? Is it possible that they are using a different technology now versus when you were there?

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Whatever the case, I suggest turning the feature off, unless not keeping the phone beyond a year, or have a warranty. ...

One additional question, is this a feature you can turn off or you just don't use the special charger?

Last edited:

Photo_Drew

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site

As far as I know you can't turn it off. You can just not use a turbo charger.

Bizill

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

I'm into brushless motor RC's and use 5s (5 cell) battery packs and am into 18650 and 26650 flashlight battery charging and use balance charging for just about everything. One thing I've learned is that using higher amp charges will deplete the life of batteries faster.

I plan to use the included Moto Turbo charger ONLY WHEN NECESSARY, such as when I'm headed out the door and have very little charge. I'll probably only do this less than 5% of the time. I also have an Aukey 18watt charger from Amazon on the way to have a spare. This will not bad as bad on the battery as the Moto Turbo charger, but still not as good on battery life as normal 5volt charging.

I've also always used Zerolemon and Anker extended batteries in my family's phones, but now manufacturers are doing away with removable batteries and I see that as nothing more than planned obsolescence. Turbo charger only furthering the obsolescence.... ho humm.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

How many years ago did you work there? Is it possible that they are using a different technology now versus when you were there?

Eight and the tech is the same.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Eight and the tech is the same.

Not sure how this double post happened. Using Tapatalk. Weird.

You can turn it off on the Note 4.- Best to just use the feature when you need it IMO.

Added: Moto tries to mitigate the battery issue by charging fast and then slowing down.

Last edited:

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

One additional question, is this a feature you can turn off or you just don't use the special charger?

Just like with my galaxy s6, I use a standard "slow" charger at night and most of the time. I use quick charge when I just need a quick 30%-50% of juice. I do like the quick charge feature a lot but make sure not to use it much.

Dan Peters

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

Like a lot of people, I have a power strip near my couch, where I often charge my phone (2 year old 2013 Moto-X, so, yeah, I charge it a LOT, lol).
I do plan to use the quick charger with my Moto-X 2015, but I also have a small herd of other devices that often need charging. It has been my understanding that devices will only take as much juice as the device is designed to take. Thus, it holds true that I should be able to charge my non-turbo charge devices (like a Nexus 7 tablet), with the Turbo charger, since the tablet won't allow the charger to send too may watts to the tablet. Charging will be at regular speed, but it will still work. Am I right to think this, or will this more likely fry my tablet and burn my house down?

Does anyone know?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX