04-03-2016 09:50 PM
207 123 ...
tools
    Will I be able to use a Quick Charge 2.0 charger with the Moto X Pure? Will it be as fast?

Is it the same thing? Is Motorola just licensing the technology from Qualcomm?

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-05-2015 08:56 AM
    Will I be able to use a Quick Charge 2.0 charger with the Moto X Pure? Will it be as fast?

Is it the same thing? Is Motorola just licensing the technology from Qualcomm?

Same thing.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    jephanie likes this.
    09-05-2015 08:57 AM
    Same thing.

@RY ... do u know if USB-C takes the place of the quick charger? like if there's USB-C is quick charge even needed?
    09-05-2015 09:08 AM
    Usb-c is a standard for the connector and data throughput. Has nothing to do with charging.

jephanie likes this.
    09-05-2015 09:37 AM
    Usb c is only the cable. Quick charge 2.0 requires a compatible charger and device

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5
    09-05-2015 09:37 AM
    @RY ... do u know if USB-C takes the place of the quick charger? like if there's USB-C is quick charge even needed?
    USB Type C is only a connector standard.

09-05-2015 10:17 AM
    http://www.androidcentral.com/what-q...m-quick-charge

09-05-2015 10:26 AM
    Usb type c dosent have any quicker charging than standard micro usb

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
    09-05-2015 10:32 AM
    Whatever the case, I suggest turning the feature off, unless not keeping the phone beyond a year, or have a warranty. I worked for Enersys and Exide battery in quality and process control for two years so have a technical understanding. The cells ability to maintain capacitance declines much more quickly with such additional push of charge.

Using every now and then though will be fine (less than 20% of time).
    09-05-2015 10:56 AM
    Whatever the case, I suggest turning the feature off, unless not keeping the phone beyond a year, or have a warranty. I worked for Enersys and Exide battery in quality and process control for two years so have a technical understanding. The cells ability to maintain capacitance declines much more quickly with such additional push of charge.

Hi mate

That is something I didn't know and it does concern me as it is a feature I was looking forward to using, so am I better off just charging it normally like I do my Xperia Z3? as I reckon I would be keeping this phone over a year or so.

Andy
    09-05-2015 11:19 AM

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for that info. I definitely plan to have this phone for more than a year, so anything to keep it going strong longer is great to know.
    09-05-2015 11:32 AM

How many years ago did you work there? Is it possible that they are using a different technology now versus when you were there?

09-05-2015 12:39 PM
    Whatever the case, I suggest turning the feature off, unless not keeping the phone beyond a year, or have a warranty. ...
    One additional question, is this a feature you can turn off or you just don't use the special charger?

YahyaRivero likes this.
    09-05-2015 12:40 PM
    As far as I know you can't turn it off. You can just not use a turbo charger.

09-05-2015 12:49 PM
    I'm into brushless motor RC's and use 5s (5 cell) battery packs and am into 18650 and 26650 flashlight battery charging and use balance charging for just about everything. One thing I've learned is that using higher amp charges will deplete the life of batteries faster.

I plan to use the included Moto Turbo charger ONLY WHEN NECESSARY, such as when I'm headed out the door and have very little charge. I'll probably only do this less than 5% of the time. I also have an Aukey 18watt charger from Amazon on the way to have a spare. This will not bad as bad on the battery as the Moto Turbo charger, but still not as good on battery life as normal 5volt charging.

I've also always used Zerolemon and Anker extended batteries in my family's phones, but now manufacturers are doing away with removable batteries and I see that as nothing more than planned obsolescence. Turbo charger only furthering the obsolescence.... ho humm.
    09-05-2015 04:57 PM
    How many years ago did you work there? Is it possible that they are using a different technology now versus when you were there?

Eight and the tech is the same.
    09-06-2015 01:29 PM
    Eight and the tech is the same.
    Not sure how this double post happened. Using Tapatalk. Weird.

You can turn it off on the Note 4.- Best to just use the feature when you need it IMO.

Added: Moto tries to mitigate the battery issue by charging fast and then slowing down.
    09-06-2015 01:30 PM
    One additional question, is this a feature you can turn off or you just don't use the special charger?

Just like with my galaxy s6, I use a standard "slow" charger at night and most of the time. I use quick charge when I just need a quick 30%-50% of juice. I do like the quick charge feature a lot but make sure not to use it much.

09-07-2015 09:32 AM
    Like a lot of people, I have a power strip near my couch, where I often charge my phone (2 year old 2013 Moto-X, so, yeah, I charge it a LOT, lol).
    I do plan to use the quick charger with my Moto-X 2015, but I also have a small herd of other devices that often need charging. It has been my understanding that devices will only take as much juice as the device is designed to take. Thus, it holds true that I should be able to charge my non-turbo charge devices (like a Nexus 7 tablet), with the Turbo charger, since the tablet won't allow the charger to send too may watts to the tablet. Charging will be at regular speed, but it will still work. Am I right to think this, or will this more likely fry my tablet and burn my house down?

Does anyone know?
    jasmeer oberoi likes this.
    09-07-2015 11:01 AM
    There should be no concern with it frying anything.
    09-07-2015 11:38 AM
    I have used the quick charge on my Droid Turbo since I got it. Battery life has not degraded. Link to Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 FAQs:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...ick-charge/faq

This is the section on battery life. :
    Q4: Can Quick Charge hurt my smartphone's battery?

A: Quick Charge operates within the design parameters of batteries found in most smartphones. It is just charging the battery the way it is designed to be charged.

Device manufacturers build smartphones with a specific battery that can accept a specific level of charge. The battery size and maximum current of each battery are design decisions made by the manufacturer and can vary from smartphone to smartphone, tablet to tablet and so on.

However, traditional battery charging technology does not come close to the full power requirements of today's large batteries. Quick Charge 2.0 is designed to allow device manufacturers to achieve the full rated capability of the batteries they choose while still meeting the performance and safety standards set by the battery manufacturer.

From Motorola's Site:
    Charge fast. Over and over.

Turbo charge your smartphones and tablets without decreasing your battery’s lifespan thanks to its optimized battery charging algorithm.
    09-07-2015 06:47 PM
    Are there any out there specifically labeled for Motorola turbo charging? Didn't see anything really labeled that way on Amazon.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk
    09-07-2015 06:55 PM
    Turbo charge is the same as quick charge 2.0. I own a quick charge battery pack and it works well on my x2. There are several on amazon.

Clocks and hilgerone like this.
    09-07-2015 07:00 PM
    I have used the quick charge on my Droid Turbo since I got it. Battery life has not degraded. Link to Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 FAQs:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/sn...ick-charge/faq

This is the section on battery life. :
    Q4: Can Quick Charge hurt my smartphone's battery?

A: Quick Charge operates within the design parameters of batteries found in most smartphones. It is just charging the battery the way it is designed to be charged.

Device manufacturers build smartphones with a specific battery that can accept a specific level of charge. The battery size and maximum current of each battery are design decisions made by the manufacturer and can vary from smartphone to smartphone, tablet to tablet and so on.

However, traditional battery charging technology does not come close to the full power requirements of today's large batteries. Quick Charge 2.0 is designed to allow device manufacturers to achieve the full rated capability of the batteries they choose while still meeting the performance and safety standards set by the battery manufacturer.

From Motorola's Site:
    Charge fast. Over and over.

Turbo charge your smartphones and tablets without decreasing your battery’s lifespan thanks to its optimized battery charging algorithm.
    So after the comments on this post saying quick charging degrades the life of the phone battery now it seems quick charging won't degrade the battery!
    09-08-2015 01:02 AM
    Not sure how this double post happened. Using Tapatalk. Weird.

You can turn it off on the Note 4.- Best to just use the feature when you need it IMO.

Added: Moto tries to mitigate the battery issue by charging fast and then slowing down.
    That's not Moto, that's how the QuickCharge standard works.

09-08-2015 01:14 AM
207 123 ...