Moto Maker: Soft Grip/Coated Silicon Rubber vs. Leather

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Soft Grip VS Leather

I normally put a case on my phones but as this is a big phone and the backing is rubber I am planning to just put a tempered glass screen protector on it and leave it at that.

I'm hoping there will be a decent fitting tempered glass screen protector for this phone, since I never did find one for my 2014 Moto X that I could tolerate for long. I finally gave up. The screen has still held up fine (I'm careful with my phones) but I love me some tempered glass.

GeordieAffy

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

I'm hoping there will be a decent fitting tempered glass screen protector for this phone, since I never did find one for my 2014 Moto X that I could tolerate for long. I finally gave up. The screen has still held up fine (I'm careful with my phones) but I love me some tempered glass.
You wont as the glass still has round edges . However ypu could buy a protecter that is about 2mm from the edge of the display which will mean no lifting.

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.

jdk606o

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site

So I decided on the soft touch.. just in case I wanna use a case (not a big fan of them though). Another benefit is if I wanna put a skin on it.. leather wouldn't work ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I normally put a case on my phones but as this is a big phone and the backing is rubber I am planning to just put a tempered glass screen protector on it and leave it at that.

It also comes with a clear bumper in the box. I'm going to do the same as you, and also try the bumper.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

There seem to be several tempered glass protectors available on Amazon.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

I went with the soft touch back as grip is my main concern. While I love the look of the iPhone 6, I hate how slippery it is.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I could not stand the Tempered Glass screen protector that I put on my IPad. I recently switched to a Power Support brand screen protector, same as I use on my 2013 Moto X and am much happier! Those are easy to apply and feel almost the same as touching glass!

The Tempered glass was too thick and did not go on cleanly. There were two "smudge" lines that spanned from top to bottom that I could see mostly when the screen was off. Annoyed the heck out of me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I didn't go with leather or wood... I would have loved to but I go and play league at a pool hall every week and they're allowed to smoke in there. So therefore it would soak in the smoke smell which would drive me insane.

Lunkman23

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

Curious to hear if the soft grip is difficult to slide in and out of pockets. I have a blue leather 2014 that still looks amazing but I'm considering about the soft grip just to mix it up, as the wood backs seem to leave a bit to be desired.

jdk606o

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site

Curious to hear if the soft grip is difficult to slide in and out of pockets. I have a blue leather 2014 that still looks amazing but I'm considering about the soft grip just to mix it up, as the wood backs seem to leave a bit to be desired.

When I get my device, I'll be sure to post back to this thread for you.

alphabets

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site

First X was a soft back, second X was leather. Loved both. Tough decision this time, but I think I'm going back to the soft back. I love the look of the deep blue sea back against the gold trim. That, and I won't worry as much as I do now about scratching or getting my leather dirty.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

When I get my device, I'll be sure to post back to this thread for you.

Likewise for me. I'll post back :).

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I have an ash wood and slate grey on the way to see which I like better. I'll also throw in my two cents.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

That is an excellent question which I had not considered.

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I doubt it will be, Motorola has nailed the soft touch back so that lint doesn't stick to it. Or at least... I'm hoping that's the case ;D

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

I really wish they wouldn't have used saffiano leather. The gf has a few wallet bag thingys that use saffiano leather and they feel like plastic and look cheap(the price is another story). The upside is that it doesn't stain or wear as easily, and most of her bags look pristine. The problem is that if it's gonna be leather then I want the softness and the smell that comes with it, and the natural wear of the leather that gives it character. Saffiano doesn't really do that and is more prone to cracking and wearing hideously at the corners. I've never had a wood back before, so I'd go with that I think, but between the rubber and the "leather"? Rubber all day

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

I really wish they wouldn't have used saffiano leather. The gf has a few wallet bag thingys that use saffiano leather and they feel like plastic and look cheap(the price is another story). The upside is that it doesn't stain or wear as easily, and most of her bags look pristine. The problem is that if it's gonna be leather then I want the softness and the smell that comes with it, and the natural wear of the leather that gives it character. Saffiano doesn't really do that and is more prone to cracking and wearing hideously at the corners. I've never had a wood back before, so I'd go with that I think, but between the rubber and the "leather"? Rubber all day

I was curious on how it felt. I bought the cognac leather version mainly because of how the 2014 X looked and felt (never got to feel one in hand but read many first hand reviews). I do love the look of it (see close up pics in Engadget's review) but was curious about how it feels. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site

I was curious on how it felt. I bought the cognac leather version mainly because of how the 2014 X looked and felt (never got to feel one in hand but read many first hand reviews). I do love the look of it (see close up pics in Engadget's review) but was curious about how it feels. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough.

I had a 2014 Moto X with black leather and it looked and felt incredible. The leather also had a very good shine to it as well. Just simply holding it in hand with the razor thin metal sides and soft grippy leather was quite the treat. Unfortunately the new one won't feel like that due to the different kind of leather used, which is a bit of a shame. But saffiano is very very very popular among designers so I can't blame Motorola for that, and it is also more resistant to water and scratches. So overall the right move for a phone, but doesnt mean I have to like it moto maker is so awesome, so many choices

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair