View Poll Results: Will you unlock and root your Moto X Pure Edition/Style?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • No unlock or root

13 50.00%
  • I'll unlock and root

9 34.62%
  • I'll unlock it but not root

0 0%
  • Undecided

4 15.38%
09-20-2015 04:59 PM
42 12
tools
    So this will be an unlockable and rootable device. Anyone planning on doing that?

Personally I haven't seen a need since the 2013 moto x killed my flashaholicism. I may unlock simply because if I decide to later you have to wipe your device. But I'll probably leave it alone.
    09-08-2015 10:55 AM
    Personally, having root is more appealing to me to use apps that require it rather than flashing roms

XT1060
    09-08-2015 10:56 AM
    I definitely plan to...even if it's just for backing up apps. But of course I wouldn't rule out flashing a ROM if/when something interesting comes along.
    09-08-2015 10:58 AM
    Same here on apps over flashing roms. If I were to root it would be to run an ad blocker. I buy the paid versions of apps that have that option available but some mobile websites are darn near unusable with all the annoying ads (and I work in the digital advertising industry).
    09-08-2015 10:59 AM
    I will root for sure as I hate mobile ads. I'll probably unlock the bootloader just in case but I'm not planning on ROMing. After 3 generations on nexus, I'm ready for something that just works.
    09-08-2015 11:08 AM
    I plan on root, mainly to theme things like the navigation bar buttons and notification bar icons. Maybe some fonts too. I love CM theme engine (and all the amazing themes out there in the play store) so if there would ever be a stable build of CM, I may flash a ROM. Otherwise, root will help with my theming desires.
    09-08-2015 11:12 AM
    I'll definitely unlock and root, for apps instead of flashing ROMs

Once in awhile I'll watch a TV show via Netflix or Hulu and be worried about falling asleep early. I don't want it still streaming all night. There is an app called Auto Reboot that let's me set a specific time for the phone to reboot. It's easier for me than using Tasker. You just need to Grant it permission the first time you use it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...toreboot&hl=en

Titanium Backup and Root Explorer are two apps that every root user should have IMO.

Lastly, I'll continue to use Root so I can get access to all those blacked out MLB and NFL games.
    I've already paid for the content legitimately, so I don't feel like I am stealing if I decide to watch a local game.

Quick question: Does anyone know if Moto still provides access to the custom stock images with developer devices? I hope so.

I haven't had to recover from any bootloops recently, but, since I am rooted, the OTAs never install correctly on my Nexus 6. I am always downloading the custom images fro Google and updating myself.

Thanks again to Clocks for reaching out to Moto support to clarify that the warranty would also remain intact. I am glad they are treating this like a developer device.
    09-08-2015 11:31 AM
    I had a Galaxy S5 for a year and a Galaxy Nexus before that. I look forward to rooting again
    09-08-2015 11:47 AM
    Ever since the original DROID, I never felt the need to. I like Motorola's software and experience. No reason to change it.
    09-08-2015 12:28 PM
    Same here on apps over flashing roms. If I were to root it would be to run an ad blocker. I buy the paid versions of apps that have that option available but some mobile websites are darn near unusable with all the annoying ads (and I work in the digital advertising industry).
    That's the same as me. I want to root in order to use adblock on all web browsers, not just on Firefox. I also buy apps I like to get rid of ads.

I also want to get the most out of ES File Explorer and Titanium Backup Pro, both of which require root.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    Relletti likes this.
    09-08-2015 12:32 PM
    Quick question: Does anyone know if Moto still provides access to the custom stock images with developer devices?
    I believe they do, but it sometimes takes several weeks IIRC. Therefore if you're doing anything crazy you might want to wait until the stock images are available.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-08-2015 12:55 PM
    Must root for AdAway! Possibly Xposed too, but not too sure on that yet
    Relletti likes this.
    09-08-2015 01:53 PM
    You took the words right out of my mouth.
    09-08-2015 03:10 PM
    The whole reason I'm going with this phone is because it seems like it will be great as is. I don't even plan on installing Nova (my first time in 5 phones haha). So no. No root for me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Ry and Laura Knotek like this.
    09-08-2015 03:37 PM
    Must root for AdAway! Possibly Xposed too, but not too sure on that yet
    I'm still waiting for Xposed Framework to get out of alpha for Lollipop 5.1.1.

Update: I installed Xposed on my Nexus 7, and it's stable on Lollipop 5.1.1.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
    09-08-2015 04:30 PM
    been rooting and flashing roms for 3 years and never went back to the original rom. this is why i dont mind moto running near stock, i dont miss any of those features Samsung or lg had..
    09-08-2015 04:41 PM
    Left doing that around a year back or so !!! No time and patience for tinkering, like to use a phone that just works.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    09-08-2015 05:27 PM
    I feel that rooting any phone is a must for me. TiBackup and Root Explorer are what I use. Now if they have a cross platform backup/restore function and ability to see all files and folders then I would have no need for root.
    Uncle Louie likes this.
    09-08-2015 07:15 PM
    I'll root for xposed, just to install gravity box, just to get the circle battery icon.

Probably pass on a custom romantic (currently running cyanogenmod on my nexus 5).

Posted via the Android Central App
    Relletti likes this.
    09-09-2015 06:05 AM
    Depends how card writes are treated with M and how long it takes for M to be released. I recall Lollipop beta had card writes enabled and was killed for the public release. The only other reason I would root is to kill bloat, but Package Disabler does that very well with no root.
    09-09-2015 08:09 AM
    I plan on getting the note 5 and will be rooting that device. It will be my first root so any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my XT1058 using Android Central
    09-09-2015 08:24 AM
    I plan on getting the note 5 and will be rooting that device. It will be my first root so any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my XT1058 using Android Central
    This thread is for the Moto X Pure. I haven't been in the Samsung threads since I sold my S6 so I'm not sure if the Note 5 has a root method yet.
    09-09-2015 09:35 AM
    You bet! Root and unlock and running custom ROM!
    09-09-2015 10:03 AM
    The real question is how fast we will have a root process?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    09-09-2015 10:47 AM
    The real question is how fast we will have a root process?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Its up on xda in the pure/style forum
    09-09-2015 11:00 AM
42 12