11-29-2015 02:12 PM
72 123
tools
    I'm surprised how much I love the twist-to-open thing now! Although I do miss my Samsung's voice activated "shoot" feature. Made taking one handed pics SO much easier. I miss that more than anything.
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-27-2015 01:29 PM
    Have you tried the night setting

Posted via the Android Central App
    Haven't but I will next time the scene is right.

10-27-2015 06:39 PM
    I like the twist gesture but I usually follow it up with two or three accidental shots before I finally get it aimed to shoot what I wanted. Probably 2/3's of my pictures are accidental blurry messes from mis-touching the screen. If they'd just not sense a touch at the extreme edge of the display to trigger the shutter it would be ok.
    10-27-2015 07:45 PM
    at first I wasn't too keen on the twist gesture to open the camera app, coming from an S6 I just preferred the double tap, but I must say its grown on me. I really like the camera app, would be good if they gave us an option to touch to focus, you never know, it might be something that comes with 6.0
    Open camera, swipe right from left bezel, scroll around until you see the finger icon and select it so it turns blue. Now you can focus with the round pointer as well as adjust brightness.
    ffejjj and dmark44 like this.
    10-28-2015 01:53 PM
    Open camera, swipe right from left bezel, scroll around until you see the finger icon and select it so it turns blue. Now you can focus with the round pointer as well as adjust brightness.
    This helps but it isn't quite the same as touch to focus. You have to drag it to what you want to focus on rather than touch it which is less intuitive. You get used to it but then if you hand your phone to someone else to take a photo then they won't have a clue and focus can end up poor as a result

10-29-2015 08:36 AM
    This helps but it isn't quite the same as touch to focus. You have to drag it to what you want to focus on rather than touch it which is less intuitive. You get used to it but then if you hand your phone to someone else to take a photo then they won't have a clue and focus can end up poor as a result

Yeah that was my point too - I use the circle focus tool, but it's just not the same as touch to focus. I discovered recently that only I can take decent pics with my phone, if I give it to my wife to take a pic they're mostly out of focus or blurry.
    10-29-2015 08:44 AM
    Yeah that was my point too - I use the circle focus tool, but it's just not the same as touch to focus. I discovered recently that only I can take decent pics with my phone, if I give it to my wife to take a pic they're mostly out of focus or blurry.
    Download Google camera for your wife

10-30-2015 05:49 AM
    Yeah did that last night
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-30-2015 06:55 AM
    at first I wasn't too keen on the twist gesture to open the camera app, coming from an S6 I just preferred the double tap, but I must say its grown on me. I really like the camera app, would be good if they gave us an option to touch to focus, you never know, it might be something that comes with 6.0
    Touch to focus would be nice, but what they offer is the next best thing. I don't know what it's called, but it's that circle that you can drag around the screen and it focuses on whatever the circle is over. I like how easy it is to change the exposure with that.
    the tall guy and dmark44 like this.
    10-31-2015 10:44 PM
    The camera has also grown on me - being able to adjust the exposure easily with the round slider addresses what frustrated me a lot with my old M8, the photos I'm taking at concerts are coming out much better and not blown out with the stage lighting. Also am pleased with the low light performance, it really is not bad at all, as well as doing slight zooming.in.
    Ryaan Johnson and dmark44 like this.
    11-02-2015 08:25 AM
    Download Google camera for your wife

Google Camera will have the touch to focus feature even though the default camera does not?
    11-03-2015 10:34 AM
    This helps but it isn't quite the same as touch to focus. You have to drag it to what you want to focus on rather than touch it which is less intuitive. You get used to it but then if you hand your phone to someone else to take a photo then they won't have a clue and focus can end up poor as a result.
    In some ways it's better having to drag the focus circle. You set it once where you want it and keep your framing so that your subject is in that spot, and then you can take multiple shots by touching anywhere on the screen, which won't move the focus point. Here are a couple of screen shots illustrating this feature for those who may not have found it yet. As you can see, it also adjusts the exposure for what is in the focus circle.

And whether I'm shooting with my phone or a camera, I pretty much expect that whenever I hand it to someone else, I'll get a poor result no matter what. Sometimes I'm pleasantly surprised, though! ;-)

Moto X Pure Edition Camera-screenshot_2015-11-03-13-09-27.jpg Moto X Pure Edition Camera-screenshot_2015-11-03-13-09-42.jpg
    Shimon Mor likes this.
    11-03-2015 03:26 PM
    Google Camera will have the touch to focus feature even though the default camera does not?
    Yes. Different camera apps work differently then each other. Welcome to the beauty of Android. Don't like something just find a app more to your liking

11-03-2015 05:49 PM
    Yes. Different camera apps work differently then each other. Welcome to the beauty of Android. Don't like something just find a app more to your liking

Can you set the Google camera be used when using the camera gesture shortcut? I believe I read it was turning your wrist a couple of times to open the camera.
    11-04-2015 06:39 AM
    Can you set the Google camera be used when using the camera gesture shortcut? I believe I read it was turning your wrist a couple of times to open the camera.
    Unfortunately not

11-04-2015 06:48 AM
    I'm liking the stock camera as well.
    Always did like the camera gesture to open the stock camera
    11-04-2015 09:24 AM
    Sometimes I wish there was more control over the white balance, or even a voice-to-shoot control like on my old Galaxy S3 that I just got rid of, but I'm really in love with the twist to open thing, and the one finger slide-to-zoom is actually WAY easy to do while holding the camera... even though at first it confused the hell out of me. (and the wife prefers the usual pinch to zoom)
    Ryaan Johnson likes this.
    11-05-2015 04:39 AM
    Sometimes I wish there was more control over the white balance, or even a voice-to-shoot control like on my old Galaxy S3 that I just got rid of, but I'm really in love with the twist to open thing, and the one finger slide-to-zoom is actually WAY easy to do while holding the camera... even though at first it confused the hell out of me. (and the wife prefers the usual pinch to zoom)
    That's the hard part of any tech.. Each manufacturer has their own interpretation and we just have to be open to adjustment to that interpretation

11-05-2015 10:50 AM
    The camera is taking grainy photos and the video, especially 4k, is horrendous. Took video today and it was grainy and stuttered. Looks like a 2005 VGA phone camera video. Suggestions? Or do I need to return this piece of crap?

11-14-2015 09:54 PM
    I would exchange it at least, I've been impressed with the photos and video. Look at the photos sticky, if you are getting grainy somethings wrong.
    OK, thanks. I think I figured out the camera issue. Taking good pics now. The 4k video was actually pretty good visually but the stuttering is bad. If I can figure that out I'm good to go.

dmark44 likes this.
    11-14-2015 10:20 PM
    I've been underwhelmed by the camera when its in anything but perfect bright sunlight. Even in my well lit living room the pics I take of my son are sub par I think. Outdoors if its a little cloudy they're a little grainy. The pictures in the photo thread mostly all look great but I feel like mine are hit or miss. Also, why does it sound like some kind of machine factory when I make a video slo-mo?

11-14-2015 10:23 PM
    I've been underwhelmed by the camera when its in anything but perfect bright sunlight. Even in my well lit living room the pics I take of my son are sub par I think. Outdoors if its a little cloudy they're a little grainy. The pictures in the photo thread mostly all look great but I feel like mine are hit or miss. Also, why does it sound like some kind of machine factory when I make a video slo-mo?

The machine factory sound... when taking video on camera in any kind of mode is what happening to me as well, I made a topic about it but no one replies
    11-15-2015 04:33 AM
    I haven't, mostly because its not actually low light. I just did try it out though and got basically the same result. The pics aren't bad by any means. But they look pretty bad if cropped at all.

11-15-2015 10:22 AM
    Am in the market for a Moto X Pure, the camera is very important to me.

DxO results are pretty promising, they are even better than the iPhone 6s. Yet online comparisons to me suggest the Moto's photos are a bit too over-saturated, and the high pixel count doesn't deliver in difficult light conditions.

For those who might even know both phones, what's your ultimate verdict on the Moto's camera? Deal breaker? Solid performer?

Thanks in advance!!
    11-19-2015 03:44 AM
    Solid performer and much better then any previous X model. It's now on par or close to the rest of the pack.

Posted via the Android Central App on my Moto X Pure
    dmark44 and jephanie like this.
    11-19-2015 06:35 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD