11-29-2015 02:12 PM
72 123
tools
    It depends. If you take a lot of low light pictures and it's that important for you there may be other phones for you out there. Not the iPhone though. LG G4 for example or maybe a Lumia.
    If the majority of your photos is of landscapes etc and well-lit photos then it's very good and I don't believe you will notice any differences between an iPhone and the Moto X.
    But for me, the two phones you are talking about differ in many other aspects and you should have it in mind.
    11-19-2015 07:44 AM
    I would review the picture sticky on this forum for real world use examples.
    dmark44, jephanie and Ry like this.
    11-19-2015 08:21 AM
    Motorola has a great return policy. Free shipping, no restocking fee. You could try it out for yourself risk-free.
    jephanie likes this.
    11-19-2015 08:40 AM
    The camera is on par with the best for average to well lit scenes. Low light is difficult for most cameras. I would add the new Nexus phones to consider, as well as the G4 and Lumia mentioned above, if low light is an absolute priority.
    dmark44 likes this.
    11-19-2015 09:30 AM
    Am in the market for a Moto X Pure, the camera is very important to me.

DxO results are pretty promising, they are even better than the iPhone 6s. Yet online comparisons to me suggest the Moto's photos are a bit too over-saturated, and the high pixel count doesn't deliver in difficult light conditions.

For those who might even know both phones, what's your ultimate verdict on the Moto's camera? Deal breaker? Solid performer?

Thanks in advance!!
    All the reviews I've seen say the Moto x photos are not over saturated especially compared to the Samsung and even LG. The video camera is excellent with the EIS providing a much smoother video than the s6 and G4 which have OIS. Lowlight is the only downside with the Pure. Still if camera is your #1 priority I'd look at o of the more expensive choices out there.
    11-19-2015 11:40 AM
    For any practical purposes, the camera is great.

Does not handle low light shots as well as Nexus 6P or maybe a G4, but using flash you can still get good shots.

Focuses easily 3 times faster and more reliably than the phone that I upgraded from (S4).

The stock camera app is basic, but it does exactly what a phone camera app needs to do for the average user very well with little hassle.

Overall, I'd give the camera a solid 9/10 for my needs and experiences with it. If you want something much better than you should probably just buy a camera. The camera is great and complements a great phone, plain and simple, does exactly what a camera in a phone should.
    dmark44 and Stanley Kubrick like this.
    11-19-2015 12:25 PM
    Don't buy a phone with a camera as a priority, buy a camera. A phone is a phone first and it's camera is an add on.

There is a setting in the x pure under color mode where you can change between vibrant and normal. It comes set a.t vibrant and can be changed to normal. I do not know if this affects the photos but I would guess it does, if you think they are over saturated change the setting. Funny because in the pictures thread I saw complaints of not being saturated enough compared to others. Many like their pictures over saturated, many like them natural. I prefer natural and get good shots with my phone, again get a camera for the best shots, and with the low light setting I get great shots in low light.
    The best camera is the one you have with you and you're more likely to carry a phone than carry a phone and camera. If photos are a priority, it makes sense to pick the phone with a camera that will meet your needs.
    ffejjj and MTeator like this.
    11-19-2015 06:19 PM
    LOL No I get you absolutely. I loved my OG X but got rid of it b/c the camera was just so **** poor. Wanted 2014 but again, **** poor. This looks to be the real deal but again, we know women aren't exactly logical and can be rather picky

If she's worried about the tiniest of blur then she doesn't need to be using a cell phone as a primary shooter TBH

EDIT: Sorry I didn't know I wasn't allowed to use a substitute for the word "pee" lol
    As one of the few women on these forums, watch it with the "we all know women aren't logical....” comments buster.

We're watching .......Lol! ;-)

Posted via the Android Central App
    ffejjj and mookiekillsit like this.
    11-19-2015 08:01 PM
    As one of the few women on these forums, watch it with the "we all know women aren't logical....” comments buster.

We're watching .......Lol! ;-)

Posted via the Android Central App
    He sure he meant "wives", not all women.
    isdaako likes this.
    11-19-2015 10:26 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Have to disagree though that a smartphone camera never can replace a good camera. I usually shoot with a Nikon Df and prime lenses. Excellent sensor that can see in the dark, but there are these moments with no Nikon with me and then I want a quality backup that's easy to carry along, and well the phone is always with me.

Phone cameras are able to produce astonishing results, and I'm pleased to see how well the MXP performs in good lighting. The sticky pictures thread shows the feared flaws. As soon as the light gets more challenging, colors look washed out and dull, so this looks like a flagship phone for many good reasons, but not the camera I'm afraid.

Interesting point made by Loiter:

But for me, the two phones you are talking about differ in many other aspects and you should have it in mind.
    Currently owning a Windows Lumia device, excellent camera, but Windows Mobile with is excellent user interface and great work flow is still very limited in use, so either heading back to the very nicely integrated Apple world or a first Android device.

But the Apple home button really is something I try to avoid, and when changing back to the last window having to tap the top right instead of something in the bottom of the screen where the fingers naturally are. Tough choices, as there are so many great options out there!
    11-19-2015 11:14 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Have to disagree though that a smartphone camera never can replace a good camera. I usually shoot with a Nikon Df and prime lenses. Excellent sensor that can see in the dark, but there are these moments with no Nikon with me and then I want a quality backup that's easy to carry along, and well the phone is always with me.

Phone cameras are able to produce astonishing results, and I'm pleased to see how well the MXP performs in good lighting. The sticky pictures thread shows the feared flaws. As soon as the light gets more challenging, colors look washed out and dull, so this looks like a flagship phone for many good reasons, but not the camera I'm afraid.

Interesting point made by Loiter:

Currently owning a Windows Lumia device, excellent camera, but Windows Mobile with is excellent user interface and great work flow is still very limited in use, so either heading back to the very nicely integrated Apple world or a first Android device.

But the Apple home button really is something I try to avoid, and when changing back to the last window having to tap the top right instead of something in the bottom of the screen where the fingers naturally are. Tough choices, as there are so many great options out there!
    Well, I haven't always been an Android user and I don't consider myself a "fandroid". I've been a fan of webOS, I've used some Symbian (mainly to try the excelllent Nokia 808 Pureview) and I know something of iOS. So I'll try to be objective.
    I'm also in the same boat as you, I own a Nikon camera and I try to have it with me, but as you said you can't always carry with you.
    So:
    - If you know and like iOS, you should stick with an iPhone which always performs nicely in terms of photos (although IMHO is nowdays not as good a cameraphone as some of the Androids). If you have invested in the iTunes (which I detest with passion) ecosystem, then maybe you should go back.
    - If you really want to try Android for your first time you should get a new Nexus or a new Moto. It's a good first contact with Android (being stock or ALMOST as stock) and they are respectively the first Nexus and Moto devices to have good cameras. Also, if you have a Lumia and you like the Glance/Peek thingy, then you will absolutely love Moto Display. If on other hand you'd prefer a bit better low-light performance get the Nexus. For me, Android after 4.3 is the best OS for people that tweak their phones. I'm not talking about rooting. Just everyday things you would like to change. It gives you enough freedom that Apple thinks you don't need.
    - Also, I don't know where you live, but usually the iPhones are a lot more expensive than some of the best Android devices. So you can get things like quick charging or fingerpint scanner for less money or you can save some money to buy other things (even accessories for your phone). You won't go wrong with any of the devices mentioned (iPhone 6s, MXPE, Nexus, LG G4, even S6). Unless you want excellent low-light performance, where there are differences between them. I wouldn't personally choose a phone only based on this, as there are many other aspects to consider, but it's your choice after all.

Just my two cents.
    11-20-2015 04:41 AM
    No phone meets the needs of good photographs, it meets the needs of goofing around shots. It's good for quick snapshots, period.
    I would have to disagree with this. I use my phone as my main camera not just quick snapshots. I am not a photographer nor am I going to blow up a poster of a photo so wasting money on a real camera wouldn't be needed.
    11-20-2015 11:06 AM
    No phone meets the needs of good photographs, it meets the needs of goofing around shots. It's good for quick snapshots, period.

I used to take photos for spanish language functions and have taken thousands of photos, but while a phone camera is ok for taking shots out and about it makes no sense to rely on something like that for photos that you want for memories. It's a phone with a camera as a hobby. If you want good get a small point and shoot even, better than even the best phone. If you just want to grab something happening at the moment then.

You can get a small point and shoot that is much better than any phone for less money with zoom and a lot of options. I guess some do not care about their photos, I am old enough that they mean a lot to me and I have a lot taken on slr and dslr that I am glad are not from a phone.

I'm not saying never take a picture with a phone, I'm just saying if you know you are going to be taking pictures and you want them to matter it makes no sense to choose a phone.
    Carrying a point and shoot is irrelevant. The top-tier smartphones of this era can all take great photos. It makes sense to choose one that can take the best photographs.
    jephanie likes this.
    11-20-2015 02:15 PM
    It's irrelevant to you and people that can't do anything but push a shoot button but the fact is with zoom and all the different options they have now they are in a different universe than phone cameras no matter how much you want them to be. Some even shoot in raw. I'm not sure why you are getting upset, it's a fact.
    Before the revolution in smartphone cameras, we were all shooting quick shots with 110 film and polaroids. This is what the non-camera-geek people are comparing to in their minds. What we can do now with phones is amazing. I don't care about being a great photographer, I want to capture memories in a quality sharable manner.
    11-20-2015 02:49 PM
    It's irrelevant to you and people that can't do anything but push a shoot button but the fact is with zoom and all the different options they have now they are in a different universe than phone cameras no matter how much you want them to be. Some even shoot in raw. I'm not sure why you are getting upset, it's a fact.

Actually take a look and tell me how cheap phone cameras make point and shoot's irrelevant and. They do not, they still have a long way to go.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 review - CNET

http://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/r/...5326410_01.jpg
    It's irrelevant in the sense that if someone's asking for the best camera on a phone, point and shoots don't matter - they're not even looking at those. Since we're all making assumptions, I'm making the assumption that we should all know that regular cameras take better photos that cameras on a phone.

It's like someone asking about the best point and shoot, then someone coming in and recommending a DSLR. We know with the right lens and right training, a DSLR will take better photos than most point and shoots but the original question was about point and shoots in this example.

I am not saying point and shoots are irrelevant as a whole. I'm saying they're irrelevant to the conversation/question.
    11-20-2015 03:19 PM
    The op posted concerns about the camera and I will still say if you are concerned with the camera then get a real camera.
    I'm in a similar boat as the OP and understand the question entirely. I have a nice DSLR and a nice point and shoot. They both collect dust because I'm not a photographer so I don't bring them with me. Photography itself isn't my primary concern as it's not my hobby. I do want to take the best pictures possible with what I have on me cause photographer or not I like a good photo. So the question of wanting the phone with the best camera is a valid one, especially if you're not someone so concerned with the phones that the difference between the iPhone, MPXE, Nexus 6P, Note 5, etc really matter. Honestly, to the average user, it's hard to buy a smartphone nowadays that isn't good at being a smartphone.
    Ry likes this.
    11-20-2015 03:32 PM
    Mod Note - Let's not go down the troll / insult road. Thanks.
    Ry and jephanie like this.
    11-20-2015 03:47 PM
    Now that I have the Moto X Pure I can say the camera is much improved over previous Motorola devices. In daylight the color accuracy is phenomenal. Better than S6 or G4. Focus is also lightning fast, comparable to the S6. EIS is amazing, videos are smoother than on s6 or G4. Low light is a problem, but flash does take decent photos. The only things I don't like is the lack of 1080p @ 60fps . and the over sharpening of photos which make parts of some photos look slightly out of focus. 21 megapixels means the Moto pure can take highly detailed photos. I still prefer the G4 and s6.,overall, but I can definitely live with the Moto x pure's camera.
    11-27-2015 12:57 AM
    I'll you one thing that's horrible on mine: Video. Grainy beyond belief in all light conditions. Grainy no matter the video quality I choose.
    11-28-2015 01:14 AM
    Yeah that was my point too - I use the circle focus tool, but it's just not the same as touch to focus. I discovered recently that only I can take decent pics with my phone, if I give it to my wife to take a pic they're mostly out of focus or blurry.
    Exact same experience I have with my pro DSLR. I can get fantastic images without any thought. Hand it to someone else....absolutely horribly out-of-focus and blurred images.
    11-28-2015 01:35 AM
    I think the image blur in the macro shots provides a nice effect. Good eye on the barrel distortion but, um, yeah. It's a smartphone camera. ;-)
    Image blur is not the same thing as bokeh.
    11-28-2015 01:37 AM
    I compared the camera on the Moto XPE to a couple of "real" cameras so people can see how they actually compare. Although the Moto is 21 Mega pixels and is fairly new...you will see below that it can't compare to larger sized sensors. However, most people just post images on the net so when they are downsized, camera photos actually look pretty good. Note, this is not a comprehensive comparison nor is it perfect test. It's a quick and dirty comparison. All shots were handheld. Field-of-view for the Moto and Ricoh were about the same while the Nikon was shot with a 35mm lens so I stood a little further away to achieve a similar FOV. Exposure on the Moto was all auto (of course, no choice here) and the Ricoh and Nikon were shot at f4 with auto ISO. I took a shot indoors and outdoors with each camera. I posted a 1200 pixel down-sampled image and a 100% crop from each camera.

You can see that 21 MP doesn't really mean much. A 12 MP camera from 2008 has much more resolution. Of course, comparing a camera phone to a DSLR isn't fair...but it's a good demonstration that Mega-pixels are really just marketing ploys: "more is better". As you can see...more isn't necessarily better. But marketing departments love numbers they can boast in advertisements. In the outdoor shots, you can see that it would be difficult to tell any of these images apart once down-sized for Internet viewing. But the indoor shots have a lot more variation with the Moto having a lot of noise-reduction applied which destroys any acuity. It's too bad the Moto doesn't shoot RAW and allow manual controls. We could do a lot with that small sensor to improve output if we had more control.

First, some camera specifications:

Moto XPE: 1/2.4" sensor (5.92 x 4.57 mm), 21MP (5248 x 3936 px), Focal Length (35mm equiv) approx 28mm, max aperture f2.0, released 2015
    Ricoh GR: APS-C sensor (23.7 x 15.7 mm), 16MP (4928 x 3264 px), Focal Length (35mm equiv) 28mm, max aperture f2.8, released 2013 (camera is a high-end point and shoot with a large sensor)
    Nikon D700: 35mm sensor (36 x 23.9 mm), 12MP (4256 x 2832 px), Foca Length 35mm, max aperture f2.0, release 2008 (lens used: Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/2 ZF.2 manual focus)

Moto X Pure Edition Camera-moto_xpe_1200.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-ricoh_gr_1200.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-nikon_d700_1200.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-moto_xpe_crop.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-ricoh_gr_crop.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-nikon_d700_crop.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-moto_xpe_1200_outside.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-ricoh_gr_1200_outside.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-nikon_d700_1200_outside.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-moto_xpe_crop_outside.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-ricoh_gr_crop_outside.jpg
    Moto X Pure Edition Camera-nikon_d700_crop_outside.jpg