Moto X Pure Edition Camera

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: "Official" Photo Gallery Samples

There are a few that have too much image blur, which should be able to be corrected with software updates like the OG X. Specifically the macro shots on page 1 and the nature shots on page 2 displayed significant image blur to me. There is some barrel distortion with the parking lot sunset image but not enough to be a huge deal considering it's a smartphone camera.

Overall, I am surprised they are using some of these pics as brag moments but am still confident of the possibility of updates correcting the issues.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

There are a few that have too much image blur, which should be able to be corrected with software updates like the OG X. Specifically the macro shots on page 1 and the nature shots on page 2 displayed significant image blur to me. There is some barrel distortion with the parking lot sunset image but not enough to be a huge deal considering it's a smartphone camera.

Overall, I am surprised they are using some of these pics as brag moments but am still confident of the possibility of updates correcting the issues.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I think the image blur in the macro shots provides a nice effect. Good eye on the barrel distortion but, um, yeah. It's a smartphone camera. ;-)

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

pics look great! I don't know enough about photography to be able to dissect any issues, but for a smartphone camera, what else can we ask for?! moto really stepped it up this year

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Specifically, these pics at 100% zoom show very soft focus or a bit of blur:

Green cocoons - soft focus on the part that is obviously the focus of the macro shot.

Butterfly - general blur, no distinct focal point, not even the yellow pistols on the flower or eyes or wings of the butterfly

Compare those two shots to the Oreo cookies/ice cream which is very crisp and doesn't have any blur. So it could be the shooter's hands being a little shaky (macro photography really requires a very steady hand).

Otherwise, the concert pic seems like a good example of low light and the noise control and, to me, is rather impressive considering the negative reviews about the low light capability of the camera.

The pics on the second page were likely taken from a boat, based on the video posted to YouTube by the same person so I'm trying to attribute the blurring issues to that factor. One example is of the seals on the rocks--pretty much everything has a bit of blur, not just the moving snouts of the seals.

Overall, though, the camera definitely seems like it's very good. I just wish Moto would have posted more samples, along with some better choices that wouldn't inspire a little bit of doubt. I can't wait to get this device in my hands to give it a whirl myself!

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

^^^^ Holy nitpicking, Batman!

I, for one, am extremely encouraged by these pics. The Oreos looked to be in a pretty dimly lit area and it turned out great. The sunset over the cars looked fantastic, the colors looked true, and I loved the first nature pic w/ the fog.

I am impressed but again, want to see more night shots.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

^^^^ Holy nitpicking, Batman!

After being burned the last two cameras out, and considering Moto's braggadocios approach to this camera, I guess I just expected them to post only the cream of the crop pics. The others seem to be exceptionally good. And, as I stated above, I'm hoping those that give me a little pause are due to shaky hands or being on a boat. But a lot of my wife's usage is more on the macro side and I don't want to listen to her complain incessantly about how all of her pics look blurry.

Happy wife...happy life. KnowwhatImean?

mookiekillsit

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

After being burned the last two cameras out, and considering Moto's braggadocios approach to this camera, I guess I just expected them to post only the cream of the crop pics. The others seem to be exceptionally good. And, as I stated above, I'm hoping those that give me a little pause are due to shaky hands or being on a boat. But a lot of my wife's usage is more on the macro side and I don't want to listen to her complain incessantly about how all of her pics look blurry.

Happy wife...happy life. KnowwhatImean?

LOL No I get you absolutely. I loved my OG X but got rid of it b/c the camera was just so **** poor. Wanted 2014 but again, **** poor. This looks to be the real deal but again, we know women aren't exactly logical and can be rather picky :)

If she's worried about the tiniest of blur then she doesn't need to be using a cell phone as a primary shooter TBH

EDIT: Sorry I didn't know I wasn't allowed to use a substitute for the word "pee" lol

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I looked at these last night on my phone and didn't see anything that stood out to me about this being a bad camera. So today I looked on my computer at work, and still don't see anything that jumps out to ME that gives me pause. I'm sure some more photocentric individuals might see something that I don't. But just based off of this, it looks like I would be happy with this camera for the most part. These pics look like you could stick them in the "Shot on iPhone 6" campaign and no one would be the wiser.

I would still like to some more low light/night shots. Although the concert shot looked great to me, and that would probably be considered low light/night.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

If she's worried about the tiniest of blur then she doesn't need to be using a cell phone as a primary shooter TBH

She's afraid to touch my DSLR and she likes quick-shots of the pets, flowers and other things that catch her interest. I see a lot of blur in those shots specifically so I'm just hoping it's limited to the shooters and not the device is all. And like I said at the beginning, it's not that the pics were bad. They were just "meh" to me in those instances. Otherwise, I completely agree about the color rendering, noise control and contrast control.

I'm still very, very eager to get ours delivered (knock knock Moto....start shipping quicker! LOL).

EDIT: Sorry I didn't know I wasn't allowed to use a substitute for the word "pee" lol

Yeah, on the responses to the stories, it's no holds barred. Here in the forums, not even a hint of naughty language is allowed or you get demerits and are sent to your room without dinner.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

She's afraid to touch my DSLR and she likes quick-shots of the pets, flowers and other things that catch her interest. I see a lot of blur in those shots specifically so I'm just hoping it's limited to the shooters and not the device is all. And like I said at the beginning, it's not that the pics were bad. They were just "meh" to me in those instances. Otherwise, I completely agree about the color rendering, noise control and contrast control.

I'm still very, very eager to get ours delivered (knock knock Moto....start shipping quicker! LOL).

Yeah, on the responses to the stories, it's no holds barred. Here in the forums, not even a hint of naughty language is allowed or you get demerits and are sent to your room without dinner.

Sent to your room without dinner....lol

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Sent to your room without dinner....lol

I've had my hands slapped too many times to count via PM from the mods. They're just trying to keep things civil because when one person uses a word as part of humor, that opens up the use as inflammatory pointers toward other members. So....we gotta be creative sometimes. ;)

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I've had my hands slapped too many times to count via PM from the mods. They're just trying to keep things civil because when one person uses a word as part of humor, that opens up the use as inflammatory pointers toward other members. So....we gotta be creative sometimes. ;)

Yeah, I've noticed the language here in the threads is moderated but it's cut throat on the story comments.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I've noticed the language here in the threads is moderated but it's cut throat on the story comments.

Cut throat. That's definitely a forum-friendly way of describing the story comments. hahahaha

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
moto camera is really growing on me

It's really nice being able to tap anywhere on the screen to snap a picture. Makes one handed camera use or taking pics in odd positions very easy.

Posted via the Android Central App