10-17-2015 06:21 AM
465 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    I do want to comment specifically on idle drain. I did a couple of overnight tests and it burns ~1% per hour in idle, including less than 1% (lost 5% in 7 hours last night).

That is simply fantastic.
    RikkiRay and VoltaicShock like this.
    09-16-2015 01:58 PM
    CONS
    • Volume Controls / Priority Options - So there's nothing wrong per se with these options, they're just kind of confusing. I'm not quite sure how to get them set up properly. Once I get it, It'll be fine, but it's pretty complex. Also there have been times where I go to a game and it's super loud, and I try to turn down the volume but it's just turning down my ringer/notification volume, and unlike on my Note 4 where you can hit a little button that then gives you an option of which volume you want to turn down, there's really no option for that, I just have to let go, wait, and try again until I'm actually adjusting the correct volume with the volume keys. Kind of annoying. Maybe a software fix will come?
    Not sure you can classify this as a con (though I see why). This to me is a bug with Android 5.0, they combined the sound settings and I haven't really heard anyone say they like it. Sometimes I will get out of a game and want to turn up the sound and it is stuck on the in game sound. It seems you have to wait a second or you have to close the app then fix the sound.

The whole priority thing is annoying too there is not true silent without vibrate anymore like there used to be.

Also I think they fixed this in 6.0
    David Rosen likes this.
    09-16-2015 02:10 PM
    Attachment 197071

I'd have to wait to get home to take a pic side by side,but this screen cap I just took shows some white some yellow (and while we're at it, some black), and I'm not really seeing a yellow tint... The white just looks white to me.To be honest I'm probably not the best person to ask since I suck at recognizing color shades (it's a curse really because I love puzzle games haha). I'll ask my girlfriend later if she thinks there's any tint to it, but I'm definitely not seeing it.
    Thanks David that screen looks good but it would be great to see a side by side if you don't mind doing that

Andy
    09-16-2015 02:18 PM
    Attachment 197071

I'd have to wait to get home to take a pic side by side,but this screen cap I just took shows some white some yellow (and while we're at it, some black), and I'm not really seeing a yellow tint... The white just looks white to me.To be honest I'm probably not the best person to ask since I suck at recognizing color shades (it's a curse really because I love puzzle games haha). I'll ask my girlfriend later if she thinks there's any tint to it, but I'm definitely not seeing it.
    Appreciate the in depth review. I'm debating this phone and all the feedback I can get from real users helps.

Now please get on that to do list from July 2013 so you can free up that space on your home screen!
    David Rosen likes this.
    09-16-2015 07:35 PM
    Appreciate the in depth review. I'm debating this phone and all the feedback I can get from real users helps.

Now please get on that to do list from July 2013 so you can free up that space on your home screen!
    Haha its kind of a joke I have with myself. I've kept the filename the same and just keep updating the actual list. I think around that December I was like "Maybe I should change it... Naaahh" and its stayed ever since. :-)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    kj11 likes this.
    09-16-2015 09:25 PM
    David...did you change your Ringtone???

Why not??
    09-17-2015 08:36 PM

Periodically the screen responsiveness goes all haywire. It either won't register finger presses, or thinks they are in the wrong place, or only allows certain things to happen (like allowing switching icon page but not actually selecting or loading an icon).
    Here's an update: The problem pretty much just affects the top 25% of the screen, and it is only intermittent. When it does happen, usually turning the screen off then back on will fix it.

I even did a reset of the phone to be sure it wasn't just a problem with a launcher I installed. Problem still there.

Otherwise, I really like the phone. It seems quite fast to me. (I do miss my LED light though.) I called customer service, and a replacement is in the works. Hopefully, the replacement won't have this problem.
    09-17-2015 10:54 PM
    David...did you change your Ringtone???

Why not??
    I finally changed it today, but not before it actually scared the guys installing a gate at my parents house. I think they thought I was yelling at them. We all laughed.

Tom in Bristol likes this.
    09-18-2015 02:51 AM
    I received my Moto XPE today (FedEx said it wasn't coming until Monday!!), and here are my first impressions:
    1. It isn't as wide as I thought it would be (only slightly wider than the case protecting my Moto X 2013), and about an inch taller or so.

2. Someone commented in another thread that they thought the back was slippery. Yes, I would absolutely agree with that. I feel like I need to change the way I hold it so that it doesn't go flying. At least I have the Moto Insurance.

3. Seems very responsive so far, but I'm just downloading all my apps right now, so it will be a little bit before I can really play around with it.

4. Feels like a well-built phone, until I put the plastic bumper on. Then it made it feel a little cheaper. I think we need the bumper on it, so maybe I'll look around for a different one.

5. I wasn't quite sure what to expect weight-wise, but it does feel heavy to me. I'm sure I'll get used to it though. Afterall, I'm coming from a much smaller phone.

6. I think I got one of the white screens (not a yellow screen).

Can't wait to play around with it this weekend! I think I'm going to like it.. the biggest thing will just be getting used to the size.
    09-18-2015 11:58 AM
    I received my Moto XPE today (FedEx said it wasn't coming until Monday!!), and here are my first impressions:
    1. It isn't as wide as I thought it would be (only slightly wider than the case protecting my Moto X 2013), and about an inch taller or so.

2. Someone commented in another thread that they thought the back was slippery. Yes, I would absolutely agree with that. I feel like I need to change the way I hold it so that it doesn't go flying. At least I have the Moto Insurance.

3. Seems very responsive so far, but I'm just downloading all my apps right now, so it will be a little bit before I can really play around with it.

4. Feels like a well-built phone, until I put the plastic bumper on. Then it made it feel a little cheaper. I think we need the bumper on it, so maybe I'll look around for a different one.

5. I wasn't quite sure what to expect weight-wise, but it does feel heavy to me. I'm sure I'll get used to it though. Afterall, I'm coming from a much smaller phone.

6. I think I got one of the white screens (not a yellow screen).

Can't wait to play around with it this weekend! I think I'm going to like it.. the biggest thing will just be getting used to the size.
    Lucky you can I ask what your thoughts are on the screen and screen colours are they bright and crisp or are the colours a bit washed out?

Thanks
    09-18-2015 12:18 PM
    Lucky you can I ask what your thoughts are on the screen and screen colours are they bright and crisp or are the colours a bit washed out?

Thanks
    The colors seem great to me. They look good, no washed out look, good detail. And it is very fast (compared to my 2013).

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    09-18-2015 01:34 PM
    Settings - Display - Color mode - may make a difference for some people. I think my screen looks great! It's white.
    09-18-2015 01:47 PM
    Settings - Display - Color mode - may make a difference for some people. I think my screen looks great! It's white.
    Same here. I really like the screen. My whites look white.

09-18-2015 03:23 PM
    What color mode are you using in that setting?

09-18-2015 03:50 PM
    Honestly the yellow screen or warm screen is not that bothersome to me at least. I've noticed that reading is a lot easier on the eyes compared to how bright white my iPhone 6 plus was.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Ryaan Johnson likes this.
    09-19-2015 01:17 AM
    Congrats dude
    09-19-2015 01:24 AM
    I got my slate grey back yesterday. Absolutely love it, great color, great grip, easier to hold and find the dimple.

My charcoal ash wood had a really cool look to it, but I really dig the color and grip of the slate. Returned the ash wood yesterday!
    Ry, GeordieAffy and dmark44 like this.
    09-19-2015 07:57 AM
    I picked me up yesterday from my local FedEx store near my job. When I got back to work and unboxed it, I was very surprised about the size (in a good way).

- This phone is exactly the same size as the One Plus. In fact, the One Plus feels a little bigger in the hand.

- The leather back feels awesome as well as the overall feel. Very stylish looking phone, the smaller dimple on the back actually makes the phone look better.

- Haven't had much time to play with software since I was out all night, but the whites on my screen look very bright, no yellowing as far as I can tell. The screen is bright and colorful, no complaints there.

- I personally think the Bumper is pretty cool. It doesn't really add any girth to the phone. I don't have big hands and I can honestly say that Motorola did one hell of a job with the form factor. I tried the Nexus 6 and it is truly a big a** phone.

I think people need to have the phone in their hands to truly appreciate the size of it. Hearing people keep saying the same thing about it being 5.7" gets old and makes me question if they actually held it.
    09-19-2015 10:08 AM
    So, first a few "size photos" (all uncased, though they all normally ride in a case of some kind):

The phones are (1) A 1st Gen Moto G LTE; (2) an iPhone 6 (not plus); (3) Droid Maxx; and (4) Moto X Pure.
    I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)-side-size.jpg

I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)-stacked-size.jpg

The Droid Maxx is my [old] daily driver; the Moto G was to both test drive AT&T and to port over my late mother's land-line while we were closing her estate; the iPhone is my company issued work phone.

The Droid Maxx has been in an Incipio Dual Pro, and, anticipating I was buying a MXPE, I ordered a Dual Pro for it from Amazon as soon as they showed availability: So, side-by-sides of the uncased and Dual Pro cased Maxx and MXPE:

I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)-maxxvpure.jpg

I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)-maxxvpure-dual-pro.jpg

I have used some inexpensive horizontal belt cases purchased from Amazon for the Maxx, and knew I wanted something similar for the MXPE, so I purchased this through Amazon, too. Because it is 'sized" for the N6 in a case, it is actually a little big, but fits the MXPE in the Dual Pro.

I also have a Sknomi screen protector, but I haven't applied it yet. I got an e-mail from them the other day: "Thank You for your purchase of the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition Screen Protector. The initial screen protector sent out to you works however, we noticed we could make some improvements that would increase the area covered by our protector. We have created a replacement order with the new, updated design that has been shipped to you. We are terribly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Very cool of them, Though I am probably going to order one of the glass protectors.

I am kind of glad I waited, I decided on the 16GB after really looking hard at my memory usage in the Droid Maxx, and I had a 128GB SD card that I got on sale plus used some Best Buy points to bring the price down. Also coming in with a VZW activated SIM, it let the dust settle a little with them, too. I am on a grandfathered UDP.

So, setup was pretty much a breeze. The only glitch was it didn't automatically pull down all my apps, but, I decided that I actually preferred that, because it lets me edit my app list and get rid of those I no longer use, and delete from my profile those that I was trying out and will probably never re-use. Motorola Migrate worked to get my other stuff over to this phone.

I paired it up with my Moto 360 this morning; it's kind of a PITA that you have to factory reset the 360 to get it to pair, but it paired easily on the first try. It also easily paired as a second phone to my Plantronics Voyager BT headset. I didn't get any sound warning when I maxed out the BT volume on the navigation and on a phone call.

As I said in another thread, it's already in my "My Stuff" in Motorola's site and it's properly listed on my Verizon account and all discounts seem to be intact.

To address some of the issues I've seen already:
    (1) No yellow cast to the screen whites; in fact the screen seems "cooler" than the Maxx in a side-by-side.
    (2) No crackling in the speaker at high volume, though I only listened to one podcast and one song so far.
    (3) The battery does get warmish using it a lot, but it's been sitting dark running the MHS as I write this post, and the battery is at 89 degrees. MHS on the Maxx always raised the temperature on that phone.

I ran a Google Maps Navigation today (even though I knew where I was going); these 50+ year-old eyes LIKE, REALLY LIKE the screen size and the brightness in a sunlit car interior.

Stuff I am unsure about:
    (1) No Connect to Chrome on my laptop. It was handy, but not a deal-breaker, since the laptop isn't on all the time.
    (2) Center earphone jack. I like earbuds when I am on the treadmill or walking; on the Maxx, the offset position makes it easy to plug in to the jack in the horizontal holster; so I will have to see how that works out. Maybe it's time for BT stereo earbuds.
    (3) Which "disaster" warranty to get, or just "self-insure."
    (4) Lollipop sound volume handling. Is it just me, or did Google make this one unnecessarily complex? (Please, PLEASE, PLEASE license Blackberry sound profiles and bake it in).

That's all for the first few hours of actual use. I have yet to try out the camera, so that's next.
    GeordieAffy and Cady like this.
    09-19-2015 11:14 AM
    So yesterday I was off and didn't have anything scheduled so I treated myself to a Best Buy Moto X. I didn't think I would like the size increase in the Moto. Coming from a 6+ and the Note line, I'm not against bigger phones, but the Moto X's size was part of it's charm for me. It was a great little android phone that able to get the job done and be quick about it. I loved my 2nd Gen X more than I thought I would and kept it longer than I thought I would.

The only thing that I didn't like about the 2nd gen Moto X was it's terrible camera. This 3rd gen X is has everything that was great about the 2nd, with the addition of a much better camera. The battery life in the X line is still meh from what I can tell but it's livable. I definitely miss the amoled panel from he previous generation. It made Moto Display look so much better, and overall I like the colors on amoled better.

Pending Google's announcement on the 29th I'll either return my 16gb Moto X for the Nexus 5 or get a custom 64gb Moto X pure if I'm not interested in the Nexus.
    09-19-2015 11:58 AM
    So just an update. I've noticed a few moments of lag and a few times when the home screen had to redraw, BUT, they were 100% all when in Chrome or going home from Chrome. So I'd say it's safe to say that Chrome is the issue. That being said, performance after 6 days now and 80+ apps, is absolutely perfect otherwise.

Also I think people with yellowish screens have broken phones. My girlfriend is a photographer and very particular about color and said that the whites are definitely not yellowish on mine.

Loving this phone. It's funny though, like I told one of my friends, its so good that I'm almost bored with it. It's just this thing that I carry around that works perfect and does what I want it to do. I never have to fiddle or mess with stuff haha.

Oh and BTW I actually just happened to get a new car yesterday (new phone and new car... What a week) and the Bluetooth works perfect. Just figured I'd report on that since I had nothing to really test Bluetooth with before haha.

Uncle Louie and dmark44 like this.
    09-19-2015 12:42 PM
    How does the battery life compare to the 2014 edition?

09-19-2015 12:56 PM
    What color mode are you using in that setting?

Normal
    09-19-2015 01:48 PM
    First of all the Deep Sea Blue back is almost black and not really blue at all. Don't get me wrong, it looks good - just not blue. I just set mine up and I'm a stickler for detail, so it took me a while, but I have to say it was a breeze setting it up. It's every bit as snappy as my 2014 Moto X, and holding them side by side I get a real sense of how much bigger this phone is. I'm not a huge fan of the freebie bumper, but it'll do until my Cimo back cover gets here (hurry up Amazon!). I ordered a couple of other cases for it today, but they won't ship until mid-October (BOO!) as well as a screen protector. This is my third Moto X so I'm used to the lack of available accessories.

The phone itself has no lag whatsoever, and not having all that AT&T crud pre-loaded - priceless! And the camera - absolutely positively BETTER than the 2014 Moto X. I'm not getting all those blurred shots! It's the one reason I felt compelled to upgrade from the 2014, which except for the crappy camera has been a stellar phone - and so far the 2015 hasn't disappointed. I'll miss how easily the 2014 fit in my pocket, but to be able to take decent pictures now without having to take at least five shots to get one that isn't a blurry mess more than makes up for it.
    huntnyc, VoltaicShock and dmark44 like this.
    09-19-2015 05:31 PM
    I really like this phone.

David Rosen likes this.
    09-19-2015 07:21 PM
465 ... 910111213 ...