10-17-2015 06:21 AM
465 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Can someone tell me what the new silicone back feels like. Is it grippy, when your hand is sweaty does it turn really slick? Since its not in any stores by me i don't know what i would be getting. The pine on the back of my X 2nd gen is very nice, and has a little grip. Just looking for some opinions, thanks.
    09-11-2015 01:54 PM
    Can someone tell me what the new silicone back feels like. Is it grippy, when your hand is sweaty does it turn really slick? Since its not in any stores by me i don't know what i would be getting. The pine on the back of my X 2nd gen is very nice, and has a little grip. Just looking for some opinions, thanks.
    Its grippy but I feel if your hands get sweaty it can a a little slick. It feels really great, resist fingerprints, and wipes clean easily. I've never felt once like I was going to drop it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    anthony2558 likes this.
    09-11-2015 02:39 PM
    Does anyone know why the Redbox app will not work, says "your device isn't compatible with this version"
    I wonder if it has issues with Quad HD. Anyone know if it works with any other QHD devices?
    09-11-2015 02:53 PM
    How quickly does Motorola get there updates? For some reason I remember the moto x getting there lollipop shortly after the nexus devices before htc,lg,Samsung.
    Well, they started soak testing before the Nexus 5 got 5.0... but Google pushed the official OTA for wide distribution before the X got it. Didn't stop a lot of Nexus 5 users from self-flagilating themselves for a little bit.

But it remains to be seen how quickly these will get updates. When they were under Google, Moto got stuff out REALLY fast. But, well, duh... they were Google, so they could get access to the full source tree a lot quicker than anyone else. Ever since they transitioned over to Lenovo, things haven't been as quick. But the Motorola higher ups apoloigzed for those issues and vowed to address them.

But while they are now a regular OEM... they are also an OEM that doesn't fuss around with the core stuff. You get Android pretty much exactly how it comes from Google... with their stuff added on. So the total R&D effort is far less than what Samsung devotes to getting Touchwiz out the door.
    DC Wuff, ewak12321 and Mel823 like this.
    09-11-2015 03:07 PM
    64gb black/ash wood

Vibrate motor is nice. I disliked the one in the nexus 6

Size and weight feel great

GPS locked quickly

Ash wood picks up fingerprints/smudges easily (since I'm going caseless I also ordered a slate back which will be here next week, not sure which I'm keeping)
    Glad to hear about the vibrate and GPS. Two things that have been a problem for me with my OPO.

09-11-2015 04:19 PM
    Testing out one with the rubberized back. The texture feels REALLY nice in the hand.

Obviously it feels much larger in the hand than the 2014 X but, duh, of course it will. That being said, the design continues to make it feel much smaller, more comfortable and more manageable. Weirdly, I keep looking for the power and volume rockers to be just a bit higher on the side than they are.

Popped in a Verizon sim from my previous X and it connected without a glitch.

The camera is absolutely better than previous generations. The weather here sucks today but I snapped a couple of pics of some stuff in the house, a couple of the pets and such. All in all, very satisfying. I noticed an odd pixel display (like waterpaint quality) on some of the pics but I know I was pushing it compared to the light I'd normally prefer. Plus, it was only really obvious at 100%. For social media, it looks great.

Turbo charging. WOW. I plugged in a regular one to see what it would predict. From ~63%, it predicted 1h44m to a full charge. I plugged in to the included turbo charger and gave it a moment to recognize things. And the predicted time to a full charge as 21m. HOLE.....EEEEEE.......COW!!!!

The screen is magnitudes brighter than the OG X. Sadly, I can't compare it to be recently deceased 2014 X. Around the house, during daylight hours and/or with moderate indoor lighting on, it's very comfortable to enjoy at ~25% brightness.

Screen Cast works flawlessly to the ChromeCast.

I knew I'd love this phone and I wasn't wrong. The only concern is that I bought the 16GB version. I bought the 32GB micro-SD cards while they were on sale at Amazon and I don't usually have boatloads of apps, so I'm hoping I'll be okay with this arrangement.
    09-11-2015 04:56 PM
    Testing out one with the rubberized back. The texture feels REALLY nice in the hand.

Obviously it feels much larger in the hand than the 2014 X but, duh, of course it will. That being said, the design continues to make it feel much smaller, more comfortable and more manageable. Weirdly, I keep looking for the power and volume rockers to be just a bit higher on the side than they are.

Popped in a Verizon sim from my previous X and it connected without a glitch.

The camera is absolutely better than previous generations. The weather here sucks today but I snapped a couple of pics of some stuff in the house, a couple of the pets and such. All in all, very satisfying. I noticed an odd pixel display (like waterpaint quality) on some of the pics but I know I was pushing it compared to the light I'd normally prefer. Plus, it was only really obvious at 100%. For social media, it looks great.

Turbo charging. WOW. I plugged in a regular one to see what it would predict. From ~63%, it predicted 1h44m to a full charge. I plugged in to the included turbo charger and gave it a moment to recognize things. And the predicted time to a full charge as 21m. HOLE.....EEEEEE.......COW!!!!

The screen is magnitudes brighter than the OG X. Sadly, I can't compare it to be recently deceased 2014 X. Around the house, during daylight hours and/or with moderate indoor lighting on, it's very comfortable to enjoy at ~25% brightness.

Screen Cast works flawlessly to the ChromeCast.

I knew I'd love this phone and I wasn't wrong. The only concern is that I bought the 16GB version. I bought the 32GB micro-SD cards while they were on sale at Amazon and I don't usually have boatloads of apps, so I'm hoping I'll be okay with this arrangement.
    Quick question, is it possible to turn off the moto display for notifications and get the traditional stock android lock screen?
    09-11-2015 05:06 PM
    I wonder if it has issues with Quad HD. Anyone know if it works with any other QHD devices?
    Regarding Redbox: Doesn't work with my Nexus 6 either ...
    09-11-2015 05:12 PM
    Quick question, is it possible to turn off the moto display for notifications and get the traditional stock android lock screen?
    Here ya go! Attachment 196296

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    redeyss likes this.
    09-11-2015 05:16 PM
    Here ya go! Attachment 196296

Wow that's awesome! The stock lockscreen is still there though correct?
    09-11-2015 05:30 PM
    Update! After my debacle at the Verizon corporate store I tried my luck at an authorized retailer. The guy suggested swapping the SIM card from my droid Maxx to the Pure and THEN turn it off and back on, which I did not do this morning. So far it has worked! Very happy with the phone so far.
    jephanie and co.ag.2005 like this.
    09-11-2015 05:46 PM
    That's what I told myself after the Moto X 2014. And I really believed it, too. And yet, here I am, ording a 5.7-incher.
    09-11-2015 06:24 PM
    Wow that's awesome! The stock lockscreen is still there though correct?
    Yes.

Attachment 196305

09-11-2015 06:34 PM
    Yes.

Attachment 196305

BTW, pretty sure I read somewhere that there is a setting somewhere so you turn of the Carrier name in the notification bar.
    09-11-2015 07:42 PM
    I hope none of you experience the defective display issue. Hurts to see that happen.
    09-11-2015 09:28 PM
    I hope none of you experience the defective display issue. Hurts to see that happen.
    QA fail
    09-11-2015 09:36 PM
    What I want to know about this phone is its call quality (its purpose is a phone, first). For those who have it and have been on a call, how is it? Give us the good, the bad, and the ugly (apply where applicable).
    09-11-2015 11:05 PM
    Very strong call quality, albeit a small sample size.
    09-11-2015 11:19 PM
    I was not able to activate my phone on Verizon today. I'm really disappointed! I called Motorola and they said it was a known issue and I had to wait. I requested an RMA number. What else could I do?

09-11-2015 11:35 PM
    What did they say the issue was.

09-11-2015 11:53 PM
    BTW, pretty sure I read somewhere that there is a setting somewhere so you turn of the Carrier name in the notification bar.
    I have T-Mobile and don't have the carrier name in the status bar

09-12-2015 12:01 AM
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Been on the Note 4 since it was first available, but am now wanting to try "stock". I agree with you in regards to loving the Note 4 screen, but I can't see where it would be so much of a difference that I couldn't live with it. I went ahead and ordered one last night and I can't wait to get this thing in hand. It's supposed to be here on Sept. 16th!!!
    Ohh! I'll definitely be pm'ing you for some reviews on your switch! Lemme know how it goes!
    project.in.process likes this.
    09-12-2015 12:25 AM
    Mobiletechreview said view angle is not very good..Is that really not good?
    09-12-2015 12:43 AM
    Well depends if you use it at angles or not. Doesnt bother me as whenever I have my phone I always view it head on.

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.
    09-12-2015 05:51 AM
    I can read your post all the way to near 90 degrees when the letters all blur together because they are so close together. Same from the top/bottom.
    09-12-2015 06:44 AM
465 ... 45678 ...