I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions)

I popped my SIM in from my droid Maxx. Initially it worked, but then didn't. Then went to a corporate store that swore there was nothing they can do. Will next try an authorized retailer. GRRRRRR!

Sent from my XT1080
I've had the same thing happen before. Sometimes when I am swapping sims, the system will automatically suspend the line, as if it thinks it was stolen.

If you login to your Verizon Wireless account what device is on your line and is the line itself suspended?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I agree, and didn't mind paying $100 to bump up to 64 gb, but I am sure Moto wanted to maintain the sub-$400 starting price point.

However, I think any future models should start at 32 GB. Moto may have also figured they could skimp, since it includes an SD card slot.
Especially since it appears all three devices are shorted up to 4GB based on allocation reports out of box. Not adding up.

robert7107

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

How quickly does Motorola get there updates? For some reason I remember the moto x getting there lollipop shortly after the nexus devices before htc,lg,Samsung.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

How quickly does Motorola get there updates? For some reason I remember the moto x getting there lollipop shortly after the nexus devices before htc,lg,Samsung.

Usually pretty quick. There was one instance were the 2013 got the update before two of the Nexus devices.

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone know why the Redbox app will not work, says "your device isn't compatible with this version"

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Can someone tell me what the new silicone back feels like. Is it grippy, when your hand is sweaty does it turn really slick? Since its not in any stores by me i don't know what i would be getting. The pine on the back of my X 2nd gen is very nice, and has a little grip. Just looking for some opinions, thanks.

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Can someone tell me what the new silicone back feels like. Is it grippy, when your hand is sweaty does it turn really slick? Since its not in any stores by me i don't know what i would be getting. The pine on the back of my X 2nd gen is very nice, and has a little grip. Just looking for some opinions, thanks.

Its grippy but I feel if your hands get sweaty it can a a little slick. It feels really great, resist fingerprints, and wipes clean easily. I've never felt once like I was going to drop it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Does anyone know why the Redbox app will not work, says "your device isn't compatible with this version"

I wonder if it has issues with Quad HD. Anyone know if it works with any other QHD devices?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, they started soak testing before the Nexus 5 got 5.0... but Google pushed the official OTA for wide distribution before the X got it. Didn't stop a lot of Nexus 5 users from self-flagilating themselves for a little bit.

But it remains to be seen how quickly these will get updates. When they were under Google, Moto got stuff out REALLY fast. But, well, duh... they were Google, so they could get access to the full source tree a lot quicker than anyone else. Ever since they transitioned over to Lenovo, things haven't been as quick. But the Motorola higher ups apoloigzed for those issues and vowed to address them.

But while they are now a regular OEM... they are also an OEM that doesn't fuss around with the core stuff. You get Android pretty much exactly how it comes from Google... with their stuff added on. So the total R&D effort is far less than what Samsung devotes to getting Touchwiz out the door.

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

64gb black/ash wood

Vibrate motor is nice. I disliked the one in the nexus 6

Size and weight feel great

GPS locked quickly

Ash wood picks up fingerprints/smudges easily (since I'm going caseless I also ordered a slate back which will be here next week, not sure which I'm keeping)

Glad to hear about the vibrate and GPS. Two things that have been a problem for me with my OPO.

Posted via the Android Central App

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Testing out one with the rubberized back. The texture feels REALLY nice in the hand.

Obviously it feels much larger in the hand than the 2014 X but, duh, of course it will. That being said, the design continues to make it feel much smaller, more comfortable and more manageable. Weirdly, I keep looking for the power and volume rockers to be just a bit higher on the side than they are.

Popped in a Verizon sim from my previous X and it connected without a glitch.

The camera is absolutely better than previous generations. The weather here sucks today but I snapped a couple of pics of some stuff in the house, a couple of the pets and such. All in all, very satisfying. I noticed an odd pixel display (like waterpaint quality) on some of the pics but I know I was pushing it compared to the light I'd normally prefer. Plus, it was only really obvious at 100%. For social media, it looks great.

Turbo charging. WOW. I plugged in a regular one to see what it would predict. From ~63%, it predicted 1h44m to a full charge. I plugged in to the included turbo charger and gave it a moment to recognize things. And the predicted time to a full charge as 21m. HOLE.....EEEEEE.......COW!!!!

The screen is magnitudes brighter than the OG X. Sadly, I can't compare it to be recently deceased 2014 X. Around the house, during daylight hours and/or with moderate indoor lighting on, it's very comfortable to enjoy at ~25% brightness.

Screen Cast works flawlessly to the ChromeCast.

I knew I'd love this phone and I wasn't wrong. The only concern is that I bought the 16GB version. I bought the 32GB micro-SD cards while they were on sale at Amazon and I don't usually have boatloads of apps, so I'm hoping I'll be okay with this arrangement.

Gurilla

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site

Testing out one with the rubberized back. The texture feels REALLY nice in the hand.

Obviously it feels much larger in the hand than the 2014 X but, duh, of course it will. That being said, the design continues to make it feel much smaller, more comfortable and more manageable. Weirdly, I keep looking for the power and volume rockers to be just a bit higher on the side than they are.

Popped in a Verizon sim from my previous X and it connected without a glitch.

The camera is absolutely better than previous generations. The weather here sucks today but I snapped a couple of pics of some stuff in the house, a couple of the pets and such. All in all, very satisfying. I noticed an odd pixel display (like waterpaint quality) on some of the pics but I know I was pushing it compared to the light I'd normally prefer. Plus, it was only really obvious at 100%. For social media, it looks great.

Turbo charging. WOW. I plugged in a regular one to see what it would predict. From ~63%, it predicted 1h44m to a full charge. I plugged in to the included turbo charger and gave it a moment to recognize things. And the predicted time to a full charge as 21m. HOLE.....EEEEEE.......COW!!!!

The screen is magnitudes brighter than the OG X. Sadly, I can't compare it to be recently deceased 2014 X. Around the house, during daylight hours and/or with moderate indoor lighting on, it's very comfortable to enjoy at ~25% brightness.

Screen Cast works flawlessly to the ChromeCast.

I knew I'd love this phone and I wasn't wrong. The only concern is that I bought the 16GB version. I bought the 32GB micro-SD cards while they were on sale at Amazon and I don't usually have boatloads of apps, so I'm hoping I'll be okay with this arrangement.

Quick question, is it possible to turn off the moto display for notifications and get the traditional stock android lock screen?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Update! After my debacle at the Verizon corporate store I tried my luck at an authorized retailer. The guy suggested swapping the SIM card from my droid Maxx to the Pure and THEN turn it off and back on, which I did not do this morning. So far it has worked! Very happy with the phone so far.

kenspencerbrown

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

That's what I told myself after the Moto X 2014. And I really believed it, too. And yet, here I am, ording a 5.7-incher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze