I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)

smrdroid

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions)

So far so good. The size is very manageable when sitting upright. And I'm 5'2" with 18, 19 cm hands. Battery holds up well despite the large QHD screen. I charge it once a day with moderate internet use and lots of YouTube over WiFi (no sim card in yet)
What do you mean by manageable when sitting upright? Are you referring to the phone sitting upright? It took me a while to get use to the size of my 2014 X and I am concerned about going larger to a phablet size. Can you hold the phone easily with one hand and can you text a reply message with one hand, or does it require two hands for most useage? And, has anyone tried to fit it in the front pocket of jeans? Thanks.

Scott93274

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

Sadly I'm too poor to buy one right now so I must wait a month or two. I have however had the opportunity to play with one on display at Best Buy yesterday and the phone is very nice. The feel of the textured back plate is an especially nice touch and alleviates any worries about this thing slipping out of hand. The device is just the right size for me, but size is subjective though. I will admit that while I think the screen is bright and colorful, the image quality looked a bit unusual, like it was slightly textured. I'm not 100% sure I'm really content with the display. The phone was especially responsive though. Very fluid and all Lollipop animations were smooth. My current smartphone is the Moto X 2013 so my comparisons made in the short hands on time I had were based off of that.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Sadly I'm too poor to buy one right now so I must wait a month or two. I have however had the opportunity to play with one on display at Best Buy yesterday and the phone is very nice. The feel of the textured back plate is an especially nice touch and alleviates any worries about this thing slipping out of hand. The device is just the right size for me, but size is subjective though. I will admit that while I think the screen is bright and colorful, the image quality looked a bit unusual, like it was slightly textured. I'm not 100% sure I'm really content with the display. The phone was especially responsive though. Very fluid and all Lollipop animations were smooth. My current smartphone is the Moto X 2013 so my comparisons made in the short hands on time I had were based off of that.

Oh that isn't what I want to hear regarding the display as when I finally get the chance to order one in the UK I won't be able to try it out and the display is really important to me!

Scott93274

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

Oh that isn't what I want to hear regarding the display as when I finally get the chance to order one in the UK I won't be able to try it out and the display is really important to me!

Let me make this clear, I had my face up very close to the phone when I made this observation, I intend to use Google Cardboard with the Moto X Pure/Style and I wanted to check out just how detailed the display is. Maybe my expectations were too high/unrealistic for the resolution, I cannot actually compare it to other 2K devices. It's still a very attractive phone especially for the price and should look perfectly fine from a reasonable/typical viewing distance. Most other people seem perfectly content with the display so far. You should simply reserve judgement for when you get to see the phone for yourself. I'm still determined to get the phone, my 2013 model was nothing short of awesome.

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

Go to fedex.com, create an account, then sign up for Delivery Manager. You can then log in to Delivery Manager anytime to see if a Fed Ex label has been created for your order. Once you have a tracking number, you can check any time you want to see the status of your order.

It is free to open the account correct?

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

I have to disagree. The S6 in basic mode which is calibrated to sRGB is very similar to the MXPE, but the MXPE doesn't have any problems displaying reds or an overly green grayscale like the pentile s6. You probably have the phone in amoled cinema or adaptive display which are garbage for color accuracy that are way over-saturated with a far too cool white balance. The only two screen modes worthy of consideration are amoled photo(adobe RGB) and basic(sRGB). As far as the camera, the only times the camera on the s6 is noticeably better than the MXPE(so far at least, I need to take a lot more photos, I'll be taking them out for some comparisons with my NEX-6 and a few other phones soon) have been in extreme low light conditions which I don't take pictures in other than while testing.
I am no expert on colors but for me s6 and note 5 screen looks awesome. I really like rich colors lol. Just like high end monitors. Maybe it's just me.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

I am no expert on colors but for me s6 and note 5 screen looks awesome. I really like rich colors lol. Just like high end monitors. Maybe it's just me.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Where are the screen settings located on the Moto xpe?

J_Jameson

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

Under settings, display, color mode, normal or vibrant. Normal is much closer to sRGB.

J_Jameson

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

They are awesome screens barring the issues I have already mentioned. High end monitors are calibrated to AdobeRGB and/or sRGB. Using an S6 or Note 5 in any mode other than basic or Amoled photo will produce far too oversaturated colors for it to be considered realistic or a high end experience. In Amoled photo and basic mode, they provide a fantastic experience.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

As far as grip goes, leather or silicone. I currently have wood ;-), I know how that feels. I always wanted leather, just didn't like the type of leather on the '14. How's this new leather compared to this new silicone? Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

They are awesome screens barring the issues I have already mentioned. High end monitors are calibrated to AdobeRGB and/or sRGB. Using an S6 or Note 5 in any mode other than basic or Amoled photo will produce far too oversaturated colors for it to be considered realistic or a high end experience. In Amoled photo and basic mode, they provide a fantastic experience.
So moto x pure is better screen?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

J_Jameson

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

So moto x pure is better screen?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
No, but a more balanced one. The S6 and Note 5 have the best screens available on phones overall from a technological standpoint, but their obvious chroma skew towards green makes them especially bad at displaying proper reds at higher saturation points and it can't be calibrated out. The issue is far less noticeable with other colors, as well as across the gray scale, in actual content. However, with reds, to someone without any color blindness, it is painfully obvious how bad pentile OLEDs are at displaying the color. If you look at the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, the Galaxy Tab S 10.5, and some of the LG OLED TVs you'll see just how much better S stripe RGB and Full RGB OLEDs really are and how much pentile really does suck as a technology. Me personally, I would rather have minor, barely perceptible at best, calibration and/or color issues across the board than have imperceptible color issues in most areas and glaring issues in a one or two. The moto x style screen is excellent everywhere but the darkest of rooms, even with no light, it's weaknesses are simply due to the inherent weaknesses of IPS LCDs.

Edit: I should say that the black levels are excellent and much better than what is available on the iphone 6/6 plus, HTC One m8/m9. They are pretty comparable to what is available on the G4 but with better calibration to sRGB.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Let me make this clear, I had my face up very close to the phone when I made this observation, I intend to use Google Cardboard with the Moto X Pure/Style and I wanted to check out just how detailed the display is. Maybe my expectations were too high/unrealistic for the resolution, I cannot actually compare it to other 2K devices. It's still a very attractive phone especially for the price and should look perfectly fine from a reasonable/typical viewing distance. Most other people seem perfectly content with the display so far. You should simply reserve judgement for when you get to see the phone for yourself. I'm still determined to get the phone, my 2013 model was nothing short of awesome.

I was hoping the LCD design would result in less screen door than the Note 4 with VR. The Note 4's pentile design makes screen door stand out more, even with a 1440p display. VR splits the display, so a 1440p display equals (at best) 720p for viewing content. The pentile panel design though is more glaring for screen door when zoomed up for VR use. Not much of an issue for games, but I use mine mainly for movies where it is more of an issue.

How does the Pure 2015 look with VR content? I have a Gear VR that only works with the Note, but also have a Freefly (great VR unit, BTW) that works with any device. I was going to use the Pure 15 with the Freefly. If the display has any issues like pentile, it will stand out with that.

Scott93274

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

I was hoping the LCD design would result in less screen door than the Note 4 with VR. The Note 4's pentile design makes screen door stand out more, even with a 1440p display. VR splits the display, so a 1440p display equals (at best) 720p for viewing content. The pentile panel design though is more glaring for screen door when zoomed up for VR use. Not much of an issue for games, but I use mine mainly for movies where it is more of an issue.

How does the Pure 2015 look with VR content? I have a Gear VR that only works with the Note, but also have a Freefly (great VR unit, BTW) that works with any device. I was going to use the Pure 15 with the Freefly. If the display has any issues like pentile, it will stand out with that.

You know, my hands on time was very limited. I snuck away from the wife to check it out when I should have been helping her and her mom pick out a new laptop. I'll head back today and compare it to some of the Samsung devices they have on display. I'm a little concerned that the screen door effect you mentioned may be an issue with the Pure, I've never tried VR, but I've been following the Oculus Rift news long enough to know what you're talking about.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Just got mine this morning. Coming from a G4, when I picked it up I thought, "this is heavy". It's refreshing to see snappy response to touches and interaction. From using the G4 since day one I just grew accustom to how laggy it was, and how bad the touch screen misses actually were. Looking forward to pacing this thing out.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Picked my up at the local FedEx store on my lunch break today and am very impressed. It looks very nice and feels very solid. The only issue I have with the phone body itself is the power key and volume keys feel quite loose. It's not enough for me to want to send it back and exchange it but it is noticeable compared to my S6.

The phone is very speedy and there is no stutter or lag anywhere in the phone expect for when I go from the Google Now screen back to the home screen; there is just a tiny bit of stutter. I like the screen size much more then the S6, I have freaky huge hands though, and the screen is very good, Not quite as good as the S6 but it's just right below it.

I do miss the home button on the S6 though but I'm sure I'll get used to Moto display soon enough. It is rather awesome that all I have to do is reach for it and the phone 'comes alive'.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude