I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)

LaxRef93

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: First Day with my Moto Pure X

Lucky you :) can I ask what your thoughts are on the screen and screen colours are they bright and crisp or are the colours a bit washed out?

Thanks
The colors seem great to me. They look good, no washed out look, good detail. And it is very fast (compared to my 2013).

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: First Day with my Moto Pure X

Settings - Display - Color mode - may make a difference for some people. I think my screen looks great! It's white.

mona5804

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions)

Honestly the yellow screen or warm screen is not that bothersome to me at least. I've noticed that reading is a lot easier on the eyes compared to how bright white my iPhone 6 plus was.

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I got my slate grey back yesterday. Absolutely love it, great color, great grip, easier to hold and find the dimple.

My charcoal ash wood had a really cool look to it, but I really dig the color and grip of the slate. Returned the ash wood yesterday!

ShadyMouse

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site

I picked me up yesterday from my local FedEx store near my job. When I got back to work and unboxed it, I was very surprised about the size (in a good way).

- This phone is exactly the same size as the One Plus. In fact, the One Plus feels a little bigger in the hand.

- The leather back feels awesome as well as the overall feel. Very stylish looking phone, the smaller dimple on the back actually makes the phone look better.

- Haven't had much time to play with software since I was out all night, but the whites on my screen look very bright, no yellowing as far as I can tell. The screen is bright and colorful, no complaints there.

- I personally think the Bumper is pretty cool. It doesn't really add any girth to the phone. I don't have big hands and I can honestly say that Motorola did one hell of a job with the form factor. I tried the Nexus 6 and it is truly a big a** phone.

I think people need to have the phone in their hands to truly appreciate the size of it. Hearing people keep saying the same thing about it being 5.7" gets old and makes me question if they actually held it.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

So, first a few "size photos" (all uncased, though they all normally ride in a case of some kind):

The phones are (1) A 1st Gen Moto G LTE; (2) an iPhone 6 (not plus); (3) Droid Maxx; and (4) Moto X Pure.
Side Size.JPG

Stacked Size.JPG

The Droid Maxx is my [old] daily driver; the Moto G was to both test drive AT&T and to port over my late mother's land-line while we were closing her estate; the iPhone is my company issued work phone.

The Droid Maxx has been in an Incipio Dual Pro, and, anticipating I was buying a MXPE, I ordered a Dual Pro for it from Amazon as soon as they showed availability: So, side-by-sides of the uncased and Dual Pro cased Maxx and MXPE:

MaxxvPure.JPG

MaxxvPure Dual Pro.JPG

I have used some inexpensive horizontal belt cases purchased from Amazon for the Maxx, and knew I wanted something similar for the MXPE, so I purchased this through Amazon, too. Because it is 'sized" for the N6 in a case, it is actually a little big, but fits the MXPE in the Dual Pro.

I also have a Sknomi screen protector, but I haven't applied it yet. I got an e-mail from them the other day: "Thank You for your purchase of the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition Screen Protector. The initial screen protector sent out to you works however, we noticed we could make some improvements that would increase the area covered by our protector. We have created a replacement order with the new, updated design that has been shipped to you. We are terribly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused."

Very cool of them, Though I am probably going to order one of the glass protectors.

I am kind of glad I waited, I decided on the 16GB after really looking hard at my memory usage in the Droid Maxx, and I had a 128GB SD card that I got on sale plus used some Best Buy points to bring the price down. Also coming in with a VZW activated SIM, it let the dust settle a little with them, too. I am on a grandfathered UDP.

So, setup was pretty much a breeze. The only glitch was it didn't automatically pull down all my apps, but, I decided that I actually preferred that, because it lets me edit my app list and get rid of those I no longer use, and delete from my profile those that I was trying out and will probably never re-use. Motorola Migrate worked to get my other stuff over to this phone.

I paired it up with my Moto 360 this morning; it's kind of a PITA that you have to factory reset the 360 to get it to pair, but it paired easily on the first try. It also easily paired as a second phone to my Plantronics Voyager BT headset. I didn't get any sound warning when I maxed out the BT volume on the navigation and on a phone call.

As I said in another thread, it's already in my "My Stuff" in Motorola's site and it's properly listed on my Verizon account and all discounts seem to be intact.

To address some of the issues I've seen already:
(1) No yellow cast to the screen whites; in fact the screen seems "cooler" than the Maxx in a side-by-side.
(2) No crackling in the speaker at high volume, though I only listened to one podcast and one song so far.
(3) The battery does get warmish using it a lot, but it's been sitting dark running the MHS as I write this post, and the battery is at 89 degrees. MHS on the Maxx always raised the temperature on that phone.

I ran a Google Maps Navigation today (even though I knew where I was going); these 50+ year-old eyes LIKE, REALLY LIKE the screen size and the brightness in a sunlit car interior.

Stuff I am unsure about:
(1) No Connect to Chrome on my laptop. It was handy, but not a deal-breaker, since the laptop isn't on all the time.
(2) Center earphone jack. I like earbuds when I am on the treadmill or walking; on the Maxx, the offset position makes it easy to plug in to the jack in the horizontal holster; so I will have to see how that works out. Maybe it's time for BT stereo earbuds.
(3) Which "disaster" warranty to get, or just "self-insure."
(4) Lollipop sound volume handling. Is it just me, or did Google make this one unnecessarily complex? (Please, PLEASE, PLEASE license Blackberry sound profiles and bake it in).

That's all for the first few hours of actual use. I have yet to try out the camera, so that's next.

Last edited:

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Bought the 16gb on a whim

So yesterday I was off and didn't have anything scheduled so I treated myself to a Best Buy Moto X. I didn't think I would like the size increase in the Moto. Coming from a 6+ and the Note line, I'm not against bigger phones, but the Moto X's size was part of it's charm for me. It was a great little android phone that able to get the job done and be quick about it. I loved my 2nd Gen X more than I thought I would and kept it longer than I thought I would.

The only thing that I didn't like about the 2nd gen Moto X was it's terrible camera. This 3rd gen X is has everything that was great about the 2nd, with the addition of a much better camera. The battery life in the X line is still meh from what I can tell but it's livable. I definitely miss the amoled panel from he previous generation. It made Moto Display look so much better, and overall I like the colors on amoled better.

Pending Google's announcement on the 29th I'll either return my 16gb Moto X for the Nexus 5 or get a custom 64gb Moto X pure if I'm not interested in the Nexus.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

So just an update. I've noticed a few moments of lag and a few times when the home screen had to redraw, BUT, they were 100% all when in Chrome or going home from Chrome. So I'd say it's safe to say that Chrome is the issue. That being said, performance after 6 days now and 80+ apps, is absolutely perfect otherwise.

Also I think people with yellowish screens have broken phones. My girlfriend is a photographer and very particular about color and said that the whites are definitely not yellowish on mine.

Loving this phone. It's funny though, like I told one of my friends, its so good that I'm almost bored with it. It's just this thing that I carry around that works perfect and does what I want it to do. I never have to fiddle or mess with stuff haha.

Oh and BTW I actually just happened to get a new car yesterday (new phone and new car... What a week) and the Bluetooth works perfect. Just figured I'd report on that since I had nothing to really test Bluetooth with before haha.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

david61983

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site

How does the battery life compare to the 2014 edition?

Posted via the Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

First of all the Deep Sea Blue back is almost black and not really blue at all. Don't get me wrong, it looks good - just not blue. I just set mine up and I'm a stickler for detail, so it took me a while, but I have to say it was a breeze setting it up. It's every bit as snappy as my 2014 Moto X, and holding them side by side I get a real sense of how much bigger this phone is. I'm not a huge fan of the freebie bumper, but it'll do until my Cimo back cover gets here (hurry up Amazon!). I ordered a couple of other cases for it today, but they won't ship until mid-October (BOO!) as well as a screen protector. This is my third Moto X so I'm used to the lack of available accessories.

The phone itself has no lag whatsoever, and not having all that AT&T crud pre-loaded - priceless! And the camera - absolutely positively BETTER than the 2014 Moto X. I'm not getting all those blurred shots! It's the one reason I felt compelled to upgrade from the 2014, which except for the crappy camera has been a stellar phone - and so far the 2015 hasn't disappointed. I'll miss how easily the 2014 fit in my pocket, but to be able to take decent pictures now without having to take at least five shots to get one that isn't a blurry mess more than makes up for it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions)

Here are my first impressions (been using a Note 4 for a year):

+ Build: Looks and feels flagship to me, so can not comprehend the mid-range comments by reviewers.
+ Feel: Feels good in the hand and better than the glass Note 5
+ Display: Bright, sharp and nice color. No "pentile" envy ;)
+ Speakers: Wow good for a phone and IMO a tad better than M8/9
+ Radios: Data and wifi radios seems solid.
+ Bumper: I actually like it. Gives a little space for the thin bezel and I do not press the buttons by mistake.

NOT LIKE

- Notifications: Prefer the far better battery life option of an LED.
- UI: Not Moto's fault, but I despise the on screen nav bar taking up space. No likes and miss the home button.
- There is 4gb less storage than the Note 5 64gb. WHERE is it?
- Charging with any charger besides the one it shipped with takes a loooooonnng time. I'm not lugging the charger around or buying more of them and don't like how warm to hot the device gets using it anyway. Will not use the fast charger much at all.
- Power management: No throttle option like Samsung. The Note has a power save mode that throttles the chipset 30 percent and does not impact performance unless heavy gaming. Unless playing a heavy resource game, I leave the N4 in power save mode.

TIDBITS

The reviews said there are no audio EQ adjustments, but there are actually separate EQ settings for the headphone jack and speakers. Bass, balanced, treble and voice (did not notice if a custom or not).

My exfat formatted 200gb card works great and so does my converted micro to nano sim I also use in the Note 4.

Last edited:

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Elaborate not extrapolate

Extrapolate: *to form an opinion or to make an estimate about something from known facts.

I'd agree that elaborate might be slightly more appropriate, but extrapolate is fine here as well.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Pure love! Confessions of a Note 4 owner.

I have only had my Pure two days, but here are main points: 64GB black/black grippy with gray accents. Verizon carrier.

The feel is just as slim as the Note 5, minus the slippery glass back.

Display is great and no yellow tint and not seeing angle issues some mentioned. Mine is set to fixed 20% brightness and equals 40% setting I used on the Note 4.

No heat issues so far.

Sound quality from headphone jack is great and ditto relatively speaking for the stereo speakers. They get nuts loud and have clarity (I use Poweramp that has an amp adjustment to boost the volume since stock headphone output is low). Note: Be careful with adjusting the amp up and using the speakers!

Build is PREMIUM, and feels better than the highly touted Note 5.

UI is fast and bloat free (but I wish you could adjust app drawer, messages and setting background to something besides white). White is not battery friendly.

The bumper I thought I would leave in the box is better than expected. It protects the device and provides a holding area for gaming, since the bezels are thin.

Signal reception for cell and wifi is very solid and appears a step up from the Note 4.

Games play fast and CPU hungry emulators like MAME and PSP plays smoother than the Note 4 with 805.

Watching VR movies with the Pure is FANTASTIC. None of the screen door issues from the pentile displayed Note 4. I have a FreeFly VR set (great VR set, BTW) that has the same big field of view as the Gear VR. The Note 4 looks ugly in comparison to the Pure for VR content. Chalk up a BIG win for the Pure display in this regard.

I had a concern with chargers besides the one in the box being slow, but found a few that work fine. I have no desire to use the fast charger much due to the heat. IMO the Pure gets too warm.

Also had a BIG concern with the stock Android nav bar taking up display space in some apps, but there is an app for 99 cents called "Fulscrn" that fixed that for my needs.

Of course, like any "love" there can be catches and my only apparent issue now is battery life, but will take several more days to know that. Frankly, as good as the Pure has been, it would have to be pretty bad battery life for me to return this.

Note: The reviews say there are no EQ adjustments, but that is incorrect. There are stock adjustment options for the headphone jack and the speakers.

Also, 200gb SD card formatted exfat works fine.

So far, the Moto X Pure 2015 rocks real hard! :)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance