I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions)

So after a few days with the phone, I am really liking it! I think it's a keeper. I had the most trepidations about the camera but thankfully those fears have been allayed - it is fine for me, and better than what I was getting on my M8. I am actually liking the controls on it, especially the one for adjusting light that I just found yesterday, swiping a finger around is very easy. Low light photos seem fine to me, not bad at all. I would describe the camera as having a very natural and true color and light profile. I am also quite pleased with the video, I go to concerts a lot and the sound on the short clips (done in 1080) are far superior to my M8. Also the sound is quite fine playing music back with headphones, and the speakers equal the M8 ones. General phone functioning is very smooth, no complaints there. I like the Active Notifications on the Moto. Screen is looking quite vibrant to me. Build quality is very solid and not cheap looking or feeling at all. The size of the phone is taking some adjusting on my part, it is a big girl and I am a small one with small hands, but it is not a deal breaker for me. Also, the battery life is decent - i.e it will last me until the end of the day with some to spare (with Bluetooth on and a Moto 360 watch paired with it) and without a top up 95% of the time, and idle time is excellent, uses hardly any battery at all. In all, I am SO glad I went with this phone - excellent phone that can compete with the flagships at $200 less...one of the best values out there!

Last edited:

BoneDigger

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pure love! Confessions of a Note 4 owner.

Glad to hear it! Mine arrives Tuesday. I am currently using a Note 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Glad to hear it! Mine arrives Tuesday. I am currently using a Note 2.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Overall I find the Pure display better than the Note 4. A key reason being the much better image quality with VR movies. For that alone I will trade off the deeper blacks of the Note 4. No more screen door pentile dots with VR :)

Note 4 display looks amazing until you zoom it up with VR.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Overall I find the Pure display better than the Note 4. A key reason being the much better image quality with VR movies. For that alone I will trade off the deeper blacks of the Note 4. No more screen door pentile dots with VR :)

Note 4 display looks amazing until you zoom it up with VR.

(but I wish you could adjust app drawer, messages and setting background to something besides white). White is not battery friendly.

I not sure if this is what you mean but you go into settings >Accessibility> Color inversion >on

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I not sure if this is what you mean but you go into settings >Accessibility> Color inversion >on

If that setting just did it for drawers, messages and settings, it would be perfect, but does it for everything. Very Pink Floyd ;) :)

Last edited:

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

White or any other color doesn't affect the battery on an LCD screen. The whole screen is always lit.

alexisv635

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

So after a few days with the phone, I am really liking it! I think it's a keeper. I had the most trepidations about the camera but thankfully those fears have been allayed - it is fine for me, and better than what I was getting on my M8. I am actually liking the controls on it, especially the one for adjusting light that I just found yesterday, swiping a finger around is very easy. Low light photos seem fine to me, not bad at all. I would describe the camera as having a very natural and true color and light profile. I am also quite pleased with the video, I go to concerts a lot and the sound on the short clips (done in 1080) are far superior to my M8. Also the sound is quite fine playing music back with headphones, and the speakers equal the M8 ones. General phone functioning is very smooth, no complaints there. I like the Active Notifications on the Moto. Screen is looking quite vibrant to me. Build quality is very solid and not cheap looking or feeling at all. The size of the phone is taking some adjusting on my part, it is a big girl and I am a small one with small hands, but it is not a deal breaker for me. Also, the battery life is decent - i.e it will last me until the end of the day with some to spare (with Bluetooth on and a Moto 360 watch paired with it) and without a top up 95% of the time, and idle time is excellent, uses hardly any battery at all. In all, I am SO glad I went with this phone - excellent phone that can compete with the flagships at $200 less...one of the best values out there!
Finally someone with the experience of the One M8 and X Pure, it's my next phone for sure, after I sell M8 this big beast will fall in my hands 😊

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

White or any other color doesn't affect the battery on an LCD screen. The whole screen is always lit.

Correct for the older substrates and pixel arrays designs, but IPS uses more power with brighter colors (hence more color pop than non IPS LCD). The back panel lighting though is the main user for LCD, regardless of color and white is not the big killer like OLED tech. That said, still not sure what the display is here and looking forward to DisplayMate's review.

From a weighted standpoint though, is white really that much weight to affect anything, if the panel back lighting is most of it?

linuxmel

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site

I received mine from Amazon a few minutes ago. It comes in a very nice box. Ships with a turbocharger. It's a little heavier than I thought it would be. I really like the size and weight, it definitely feels premium. I will give more impressions a bit later. The white with Bamboo looks great imo.

They are currently sold out 😬glad you got yous ☺

Posted via the Android Central App

JJ008

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

I have only had my Pure two days, but here are main points: 64GB black/black grippy with gray accents. Verizon carrier.

The feel is just as slim as the Note 5, minus the slippery glass back.

Display is great and no yellow tint and not seeing angle issues some mentioned. Mine is set to fixed 20% brightness and equals 40% setting I used on the Note 4.

No heat issues so far.

Sound quality from headphone jack is great and ditto relatively speaking for the stereo speakers. They get nuts loud and have clarity (I use Poweramp that has an amp adjustment to boost the volume since stock headphone output is low). Note: Be careful with adjusting the amp up and using the speakers!

Build is PREMIUM, and feels better than the highly touted Note 5.

UI is fast and bloat free (but I wish you could adjust app drawer, messages and setting background to something besides white). White is not battery friendly.

The bumper I thought I would leave in the box is better than expected. It protects the device and provides a holding area for gaming, since the bezels are thin.

Signal reception for cell and wifi is very solid and appears a step up from the Note 4.

Games play fast and CPU hungry emulators like MAME and PSP plays smoother than the Note 4 with 805.

Watching VR movies with the Pure is FANTASTIC. None of the screen door issues from the pentile displayed Note 4. I have a FreeFly VR set (great VR set, BTW) that has the same big field of view as the Gear VR. The Note 4 looks ugly in comparison to the Pure for VR content. Chalk up a BIG win for the Pure display in this regard.

I had a concern with chargers besides the one in the box being slow, but found a few that work fine. I have no desire to use the fast charger much due to the heat. IMO the Pure gets too warm.

Also had a BIG concern with the stock Android nav bar taking up display space in some apps, but there is an app for 99 cents called "Fulscrn" that fixed that for my needs.

Of course, like any "love" there can be catches and my only apparent issue now is battery life, but will take several more days to know that. Frankly, as good as the Pure has been, it would have to be pretty bad battery life for me to return this.

Note: The reviews say there are no EQ adjustments, but that is incorrect. There are stock adjustment options for the headphone jack and the speakers.

Also, 200gb SD card formatted exfat works fine.

So far, the Moto X Pure 2015 rocks real hard! :)

Could you possibly show your setup that you have on poweramp for the Moto X?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Could you possibly show your setup that you have on poweramp for the Moto X?
EQ enabled in V shape

Tone disabled

Amp three quarters up. Had higher, but what is good for headphone jack is too loud for speakers.

That is pretty much it :)

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It has the bumper case with it. I actually like the case.

Thing gets warm though.

I like it, but removed it because the turbocharger is the only cable that will fit with the bumper on. The opening is too narrow for other cables, and the turbocharger cable doesn't detach from the wall plug.

BTW, I have a clear case ordered from Amazon. So that should work, too.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I like it, but removed it because the turbocharger is the only cable that will fit with the bumper on. The opening is too narrow for other cables, and the turbocharger cable doesn't detach from the wall plug.

FWIW, The opening in the Incipio DualPro is large enough for the Turbo plug

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

So far, the Moto X Pure 2015 rocks real hard! :)

Rushmore, looks like you might barely make it to the Nexus 6 announcement right when your 14-day return period is about up. Anyone on the fence about their device should keep that in mind. They say pre-orders start on Sept 29th with delivery in mid-Oct.

So far the latest/greatest spec rumors:
5.7-inch 2560 x 1440 Quad-HD Display
8-core Snapdragon 810 processor with 3 or 4GB of RAM
32 & 64GB storage configurations
Android 6.0 Marshmallow
21 Megapixel rear and 8mp front camera setup, laser autofocus, dual-LED flash
3,500 mAh battery
Aluminum Design
Dual Front Facing Speakers
Fingerprint Scanner
USB Type-C Port

As you see above, the specs above are a significant improvement in features over the X. And you're guaranteed the fastest software updates without carrier intervention.

All this, for I'd guess would be $150 more. $449 Moto X with 32GB versus $599 for 32gb Nexus 6. There's no point in even mentioning the 16gb Moto price as that model should never have been an option.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Rushmore, looks like you might barely make it to the Nexus 6 announcement right when your 14-day return period is about up. Anyone on the fence about their device should keep that in mind. They say pre-orders start on Sept 29th with delivery in mid-Oct.

So far the latest/greatest spec rumors:
5.7-inch 2560 x 1440 Quad-HD Display
8-core Snapdragon 810 processor with 3 or 4GB of RAM
32 & 64GB storage configurations
Android 6.0 Marshmallow
21 Megapixel rear and 8mp front camera setup, laser autofocus, dual-LED flash
3,500 mAh battery
Aluminum Design
Dual Front Facing Speakers
Fingerprint Scanner
USB Type-C Port

As you see above, the specs above are a significant improvement in features over the X. And you're guaranteed the fastest software updates without carrier intervention.

All this, for I'd guess would be $150 more. $449 Moto X with 32GB versus $599 for 32gb Nexus 6. There's no point in even mentioning the 16gb Moto price as that model should never have been an option.

I thought it was a 5.5 screen and not 5.7 for the new Nexus 6?

NM: Just saw the new information that was released.

greg5524

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

There's no point in even mentioning the 16gb Moto price as that model should never have been an option.

I've seen that type of comment here and there. I've had a 16gb Note 2 for 2.5 years and I've never deleted anything for space issues. I have what I consider to be a lot of apps (+ bloat). What am I doing wrong?

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

I've seen that type of comment here and there. I've had a 16gb Note 2 for 2.5 years and I've never deleted anything for space issues. I have what I consider to be a lot of apps (+ bloat). What am I doing wrong?

For those that use the standard apps and many apps that fit within the 10MB to 50MB range, it should be fine. But if you install any amount of games on your phone, you'd realize that developers are stretching the boundaries from 300MB to 2-3GB per game, with only a portion of it movable to the SD card. So if you install a handful of games of this type, you'd be done on a 16GB phone. It'll only get worse as time goes by. Even the smaller apps are getting larger with every new update.

greg5524

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. I don't have any big games. I'm still on the fence about 16 or 32. I'm leaning toward 32 because as you say everything seems to get bigger over time. Including, I assume, marshmallow vs lollipop/kitkat?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I'm willing to bet the new nexus camera won't be as good as the Pure even with OIS. I don't consider the 810 an advantage over the 808. It will be interesting to see how the screens compare. Battery life will likely be better for the nexus with a bigger battery. Nexus will get the fastest updates. Moto has a few nice enhancements. It just depends on what matters to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke