I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Anyone still love your Moto X Pure Edition?

Many Moto X pure users aren't happy with the phone..some return...I just want to know that who still like the phone..

For me I am absolutely love the phone...I think moto X pure is the best phone for less than $500 that you can buy now..

For me

1. Display is still very good. I had note 5 for a while before return it and I know the note has best display on the planet but the pure is good enough for every day used..
2. Battery is good enough for a full day..plus super quick charge..
3. Good overall camera..

I decided to keep mine and still love the phone..

Anyone still happy?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyone still love your Moto X Pure Edition?

Many Moto X pure users aren't happy with the phone..some return...I just want to know that who still like the phone..

For me I am absolutely love the phone...I think moto X pure is the best phone for less than $500 that you can buy now..

For me

1. Display is still very good. I had note 5 for a while before return it and I know the note has best display on the planet but the pure is good enough for every day used..
3. Good overall camera..

Anyone still happy?

It's the best Android phone available today.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

For me

3. Good overall camera..

Anyone still happy?

I am very happy with my purchase. This is my first Moto device and I like what I see :D.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

For me

3. Good overall camera..

Anyone still happy?

I'm curious where you are getting this from. Every phone experiences some returns, where are you seeing the Pure is anymore than the usual?

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I'm curious where you are getting this from. Every phone experiences some returns, where are you seeing the Pure is anymore than the usual?

The unhappy people always make more noise than the happy people.

Posted via the Android Central App

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

For me

3. Good overall camera..

Anyone still happy?

Perfectly happy with mine. I never like my 2014 X as much as the 2013 X. However, I think the Pure is a great improvement over the 2014.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions)

By far the best Android phone I've ever had.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

The unhappy people always make more noise than the happy people.

Oh yes, totally agree. That's very common, and partly why asked. But that sounded like it was based off some reference data. I was curious where he was getting it from.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

After having had the Moto X for a week I can pretty much say that it's pretty much the best Android phone I've had. The HTC One X and HTC M8 I had are very close seconds but the X nudges past them.

-The screen is great. Colors are not as 'poppy' as my S6, but, Samsung has always been that way with AMLOED screens. It's a personal preference thing but for a $399 phone the X screen is pretty darn great. (Note, I do not seem to have a screen that is running yellow like some do)

-Battery life. Lollipop has janked battery life bad. My M8 would only get about 7 hours off the charger with about an hour of screen time and my S6 could get about 18 to 20 hours with 2 hours of screen on time and always the worst offenders were Play services, cell standby and the Google app. Wifi seems to be a battery sucker on 5.X as well. With the Moto X I am getting 18 to 24 hours per charge and between 3 and 4 hours SoT, so a definte improvement and the only thing I changed was turning off the sync for the Google stuff I never use. Cell Standby and Play Services are the worst offenders still, but the lack of tinkering on Moto's part seems to have improved standby greatly, so long as I am off Wifi. The moment I go on cell data all bets are off, but again, that isn't Moto's fault. I have seen it on 3 Lollipop phones now.

-It all just...works. I have never had a stock Andriod phone before but I could never touch anything with a skin again. The X is fast, fluid, and it just works. No oddball design elements the look like the came out of KitKat or before (looking at you here Samsung) or no random and odd behavior or slowdowns because of OEM tinkering. It just works and has a unified design.

-The camera is pretty darn good. It's not S6/G4 good but I'd put it right below that. Again, for a $399 phone it is rather impressive. I don't use the camera much but for a quick 'let me catch this awesome thing real quick' it's more then enough. It's also nice to see Moto took the criticism to heart and delivered something better with the camera instead of slapping something that sounds better in and then hoping for the best (looking at you here HTC)

-Moto features are really useful. I don't use Moto Voice much but Moto Display is awesome. All I have to do it wave my hand and boom, quick, at a glace, info. When the screen lights up for an incoming notification it is just a subtle, soft indication that fades away after a few seconds; which is really nice in places where a full screen lighting up with every notification can be awkward.

-Turbo Changing is awesome and people who ask me about my phone are usually pretty impressed/wowed that you can design your own phone.

-The X does get warm, not quite uncomfortable warm, but definitely warm. The highest Gsam has given me was 106F but the phone does not seem to suffer any issues because of it. Most phones will aggressively throttle and start popping up warnings long before it gets warm enough to do any damage so i am not that worried but I do find it odd. Not sure if this years Snapdragons all just run hot, which is possible since a family member of mine says G4 can get pretty hot, or if the build material of the phone doesn't really allow heat to escape as quickly. Most phones are metal and basic plastic (polycarbonate, etc) but the X has wood, leather, and coated silicon rubber. None of those seems to be the best at thermal management but who knows. I'm not to worried.

-The build quality seems to be good, but my power and volume buttons are fairly loose. I'm not worried (yet) but I'll keep an eye on it.

Overall I am very, very impressed with Moto and what they have made. I have never had a Moto smartphone before but they almost have me as a loyal customer.The big test will come with Android M and how Moto handles the updates. If they can push them out as quickly as they said they can/will, though I'm not expecting something like the day after the Nexus' get them, then I'll be happy and stick with Moto for awhile.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I just noticed something about the screen brightness. I have mine at about 30% right now, Adaptive Brightness is on. I used the Starbucks app to pay for a drink and when I went to the Barcode screen, it got way brighter. Had not noticed that before on other phones, but I was used to keeping the brightness up higher.

Posted from my XT1575

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I just noticed something about the screen brightness. I have mine at about 30% right now, Adaptive Brightness is on. I used the Starbucks app to pay for a drink and when I went to the Barcode screen, it got way brighter. Had not noticed that before on other phones, but I was used to keeping the brightness up higher.

Posted from my XT1575

The Starbucks app does this so it makes it easier to scan. It should reset when you're done paying.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

The Starbucks app does this so it makes it easier to scan. It should reset when you're done paying.

Yeah, it does. Says something about the brightness on the XPE vs. my previous phones (HTC Thunderbolt and Droid Maxx)

Posted from my XT1575

BoneDigger

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Just received mine this morning. My take, coming from a Note 2

So, my new Pure was delivered first thing this morning. It looks really good and I like the way it feels in my hand. The build quality seems pretty good to me and I like the leather back. I went with the black face, gray accents, black leather back. The engraving is all but invisible like this, but oh well. I was able to use the Migrate app with no issues so my phone log, texts, etc. came through with no problems. Instead of doing a bulk download of apps, I decided to go through and pick which ones I want. My Pure is a 64g version and with all of my apps loaded, including a big GPS app, I still have 45g left to use. My music, etc. is all on the card.

I took my Note 2 and the Pure to the local AT&T store. They cut my sim down to size for free and it seems to work fine.

I am completely reliant on the home button on my Note 2. This is something I'll have to get used to on the Pure. In fact, much of the gesturing, etc. is all foreign to me, so that'll take some time. The screen seems really nice to me, and the speakers are pretty good. I use Poweramp so I can adjust the volume up a bit. It does seem that the volume of calls is a little low to my ears. By this, I mean that when I am talking to someone, I have to concentrate on what they are saying a little more. If anyone knows of a way to boost the volume besides the rocker button, let me know. I think it is maxed out. I'm almost 50 and my hearing isn't as good as it used to be. Damn you AC/DC!

There have been a few things I am stilling pondering and trying to figure out. For some reason, my Aquamail no longer shows a number of new e-mails received. Still working on that one. I switched over to Swiftkey keyboard and like it better than the stock one. I especially like that you can increase the size of the keyboard and add numbers to the top.

I have NOT played around with the camera yet. I plan to maybe do that tomorrow.

My Galaxy Note 2 was a good phone. Admittedly, I only used the stylus like maybe 4-5 times in the 3 years I've owned it. In the last 6 months or so it has developed some annoying habits and sometimes locks up so I have to take the battery out. Other than that, no real complaints. So, you can see that I am not a phone aficionado. I've had one single phone for 3 years. Before that it was an Iphone 3 or 4.

I really think I am going to like the Pure. It does everything I want, has a good screen, and it has good speakers for a phone. The wifi seems better than on my Note 2 (a little better range), and the reception overall seems good. I have no idea about the battery. I'll charge it fully tonight and see how it does over the next few days. My Note 2 was having to be charged 2-3 times a day. So, even if I recharge once a day, that's fine. I did notice that the recharge time is very quick. It recharged the phone almost completely in around 30 minutes. Pretty cool!

I'm not sure how I feel about the included bumper. If anyone has a recommendation for a good, protective case, please let me know. I almost hate to use a case given the feel of the phone as it is, with the leather back. I just worry I'll drop it and shatter the glass. Also, I liked the look of the texting on the Note better. The Pure text app just doesn't do it for me. Can the look of the text app be modified? Black with white writing seems best. But, I don't want to change the background on the WHOLE phone.

MRS DIVA

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Just received mine this morning. My take, coming from a Note 2

I really appreciate your overview of the Pure, I am currently rocking a Note 2 and it has began to slow down.

I look forward to hearing more of your views about this device..

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
If anyone has a recommendation for a good, protective case, please let me know.

I purchased this one and like it quite a bit...

Motorola Moto X Pure Edition Case , [ Storm Buy ] Premium Hard & Soft Sturdy Durable Rugged Shell Hybrid Protective [ Anti Scratch ] Phone Case Cover with Built in Kickstand (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013Y53RT...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4702907

It's worth noting that it adds a bit of bulk to the phone (seems reminiscent of an otterbox commuter case if you're familiar with those). But it also feels really well protected, fits snugly, has good button cover placement, and looks reasonably stylish. The kickstand works very nicely too.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure

Last edited:

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

So, my new Pure was delivered first thing this morning. It looks really good and I like the way it feels in my hand. The build quality seems pretty good to me and I like the leather back. I went with the black face, gray accents, black leather back. The engraving is all but invisible like this, but oh well. I was able to use the Migrate app with no issues so my phone log, texts, etc. came through with no problems. Instead of doing a bulk download of apps, I decided to go through and pick which ones I want. My Pure is a 64g version and with all of my apps loaded, including a big GPS app, I still have 45g left to use. My music, etc. is all on the card.

I took my Note 2 and the Pure to the local AT&T store. They cut my sim down to size for free and it seems to work fine.

I am completely reliant on the home button on my Note 2. This is something I'll have to get used to on the Pure. In fact, much of the gesturing, etc. is all foreign to me, so that'll take some time. The screen seems really nice to me, and the speakers are pretty good. I use Poweramp so I can adjust the volume up a bit. It does seem that the volume of calls is a little low to my ears. By this, I mean that when I am talking to someone, I have to concentrate on what they are saying a little more. If anyone knows of a way to boost the volume besides the rocker button, let me know. I think it is maxed out. I'm almost 50 and my hearing isn't as good as it used to be. Damn you AC/DC!

There have been a few things I am stilling pondering and trying to figure out. For some reason, my Aquamail no longer shows a number of new e-mails received. Still working on that one. I switched over to Swiftkey keyboard and like it better than the stock one. I especially like that you can increase the size of the keyboard and add numbers to the top.

I have NOT played around with the camera yet. I plan to maybe do that tomorrow.

My Galaxy Note 2 was a good phone. Admittedly, I only used the stylus like maybe 4-5 times in the 3 years I've owned it. In the last 6 months or so it has developed some annoying habits and sometimes locks up so I have to take the battery out. Other than that, no real complaints. So, you can see that I am not a phone aficionado. I've had one single phone for 3 years. Before that it was an Iphone 3 or 4.

I really think I am going to like the Pure. It does everything I want, has a good screen, and it has good speakers for a phone. The wifi seems better than on my Note 2 (a little better range), and the reception overall seems good. I have no idea about the battery. I'll charge it fully tonight and see how it does over the next few days. My Note 2 was having to be charged 2-3 times a day. So, even if I recharge once a day, that's fine. I did notice that the recharge time is very quick. It recharged the phone almost completely in around 30 minutes. Pretty cool!

I'm not sure how I feel about the included bumper. If anyone has a recommendation for a good, protective case, please let me know. I almost hate to use a case given the feel of the phone as it is, with the leather back. I just worry I'll drop it and shatter the glass. Also, I liked the look of the texting on the Note better. The Pure text app just doesn't do it for me. Can the look of the text app be modified? Black with white writing seems best. But, I don't want to change the background on the WHOLE phone.

I use textra for my texting needs and it's great, you can customize all the colors you want within the app.

Curious... Coming from a Note, why did you go with the MXPE? Did you consider the Note 5 at all?

BoneDigger

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I did. But I listen to a lot of music and really like the speakers and SD slot on the Pure.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz