I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions)

Are 3D games/VR the only things that can put you in the heavy user category? (wrt your gpu comment)

All depends on the app and how it calls the GPU for resources. Generally, if you do not 3D game much or VR with the device, all should be good :) Some HD 1080p or higher streaming content gets the device hot as well.

VR movies were the absolute worst for battery drain and heat. Shame, since the display detail looks better than the Note 4 with VR for movie watching. Catch is the Pure is not practical due to the battery and heat issues. Most people are going to be very happy with the Pure. If I knew for sure that Moto would release a governor settings option soon, I would keep my Pure. Catch is you have to root and that voids the warranty. IMO the device gets too hot for my use to have a fixed battery. The G4 is IMO nowhere near as good as the Pure, but at least has a replaceable battery.

Will stick with the Note 4 and see what Motorola does. Depends on how many returns they see if they are aware enough to determine if an update is needed. My guess is No, since most folks are light to medium users. Hence my VERY reluctant return of the Pure. Seriously.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm a heavy user and this device is fantastic.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

To those that have a white front, are the sensors distracting? I'm debating which I would choose.

Posted via the Android Central App

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

To those that have a white front, are the sensors distracting? I'm debating which I would choose.

I was debating the exact same....never the less a phone is not forever. Change is good 😎

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G 😎

Mike Spranger

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

Not to me.

i have the white, too. seems fine to me.
not loving the leather yet. just got it today though. wish it had the smoother leather, hoping it wears in nicely.
hard to believe people complained about the screen though. i love it.
coming from a note 4, this thing is so much better. i probably have half the apps that i had before (samsung and vzw)
had to cut down my sim card, which made me nervous, but it was easy and worked fine.
mine got a little warm when i was downloading and transferring, but not as bad as i'm used to.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

i have the white, too. seems fine to me.
not loving the leather yet. just got it today though. wish it had the smoother leather, hoping it wears in nicely.
hard to believe people complained about the screen though. i love it.
coming from a note 4, this thing is so much better. i probably have half the apps that i had before (samsung and vzw)
had to cut down my sim card, which made me nervous, but it was easy and worked fine.
mine got a little warm when i was downloading and transferring, but not as bad as i'm used to.

Funny how perspective is different with folks. My impression is opposite. Display on Note 4 is better, camera better, runs cooler, far longer battery life (as per reviews from GSMarena and others) and no lag issues since I kill the bloat with Package Disabler. The Pure speakers though and the extra storage were both SWEET. Catch is no point in all the storage if the battery life is mediocre for my use. Added: Moto radios handle weaker cell data signal better too.

Also like the CPU heavy MAME emulator performance on the Pure, since heavy games like Dead or Alive + were smooth on the Pure, but are not on the Note 4. The GPU though on the Note 4 handles 1440p content much better. MAME though does not use the GPU much at all :(

In spite of all this, I still have not returned the Pure yet. I have the RMA and sitting in the box ready to go since Sunday night. Looking for reasons to keep it :) ;) If it were possible to switch the SIM card easier or have two Verizon SIM cards (one phone on and one off) I just might. The eject pin design of the Pure though for the card slot is way too delicate to handle many pokes. I can easily see it get stuck after some repeated poking. My guess is a few dozen and stuck city.

Added: I think you can have two sim cards, but only one can be active in the system. This would mean the process of activating sim cards off and on with the web account site and this can create issues and is not convenient. Would have been much better if the Pure had a removable back and the sim card easier to get to :)

Last edited:

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Funny how perspective is different with folks. My impression is opposite. Display on Note 4 is better, camera better, runs cooler, far longer battery life (as per reviews from GSMarena and others) and no lag issues since I kill the bloat with Package Disabler. The Pure speakers though and the extra storage were both SWEET. Catch is no point in all the storage if the battery life is mediocre for my use. Added: Moto radios handle weaker cell data signal better too.

Also like the CPU heavy MAME emulator performance on the Pure, since heavy games like Dead or Alive + were smooth on the Pure, but are not on the Note 4. The GPU though on the Note 4 handles 1440p content much better. MAME though does not use the GPU much at all :(

In spite of all this, I still have not returned the Pure yet. I have the RMA and sitting in the box ready to go since Sunday night. Looking for reasons to keep it :) ;) If it were possible to switch the SIM card easier or have two Verizon SIM cards (one phone on and one off) I just might. The eject pin design of the Pure though for the card slot is way too delicate to handle many pokes. I can easily see it get stuck after some repeated poking. My guess is a few dozen and stuck city.

Added: I think you can have two sim cards, but only one can be active in the system. This would mean the process of activating sim cards off and on with the web account site and this can create issues and is not convenient. Would have been much better if the Pure had a removable back and the sim card easier to get to :)

I am so close to ordering this phone but the battery life still bothers me and I have the chance to buy a used note 4 black 32g at £260 in very good condition so now I have no idea what to do as I don't think I will use the stylus at all and then there is Touchwiz! I would love to know your thoughts on the Note 4.

Andy

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

In spite of all this, I still have not returned the Pure yet. I have the RMA and sitting in the box ready to go since Sunday night. Looking for reasons to keep it :) ;) If it were possible to switch the SIM card

Keep it, Rushmore. Remember, we're only 2 weeks since they started arriving. Your battery is bound to get better and updates and patches will no doubt answer the issues you've been having.

I waited for the official specs of the Nexus 6p and honestly I'm not too inspired. It has all the right features but I'm just not enamored with the design. The XPE just feels right. Moto did a magic act to make it feel so small with a 5.7 screen.

I think you should hold on for those updates. If anything, you can always Swappa your phone 3-4 months down the road. It should resale fine being that it's 64gb.

I myself bought a 16 gb model from Bestbuy to test drive. I was sold after 3-4 days with it. I boxed it up, returned it, and am awaiting my custom slate/red accent 64gb through motomaker. Won't get it till Oct 13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Keep it, Rushmore. Remember, we're only 2 weeks since they started arriving. Your battery is bound to get better and updates and patches will no doubt answer the issues you've been having.

I waited for the official specs of the Nexus 6p and honestly I'm not too inspired. It has all the right features but I'm just not enamored with the design. The XPE just feels right. Moto did a magic act to make it feel so small with a 5.7 screen.

I think you should hold on for those updates. If anything, you can always Swappa your phone 3-4 months down the road. It should resale fine being that it's 64gb.

I myself bought a 16 gb model from Bestbuy to test drive. I was sold after 3-4 days with it. I boxed it up, returned it, and am awaiting my custom slate/red accent 64gb through motomaker. Won't get it till Oct 13.

LOL I should do what you did with BestBuy (did they make you pay a restocking fee?)

I waited for the Nexus 6P as well. The issue is I can get the 64GB Moto X Pure Edition cheaper and still ad a 128GB card to it for more space. The Nexus 6P tops out at 128GB.

Still not sure which one I want :\

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I am so close to ordering this phone but the battery life still bothers me and I have the chance to buy a used note 4 black 32g at £260 in very good condition so now I have no idea what to do as I don't think I will use the stylus at all and then there is Touchwiz! I would love to know your thoughts on the Note 4.

Andy
Great device, but so is the Pure. Just depends on your use. If a heavy user the Note 4 is a good fit, and if a light to medium user the Pure is a good fit.

JMO though.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I agree with you about the sim slot being delicate. The only one trickier for me is the 2013 Moto X. I kind of miss the days of removable backs and swapping sims whenever the mood hit me.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Modding is not going to help the 808's GPU trying to cope with 1440p worth of math calculations. G4 has the same issue, but not quite as hot since the G4 design is less enclosed. The 808 is not a good overall fit for 1440p due to the GPU. That is IF the app leverages the GPU to manage 1440p. Some apps do and some don't. Some that do: A lot of 3D games, Maps and Virtual Reality apps. If you want to feel how hot the Pure can get, play a movie with a VR app. My tests resulted in nothing but 120 degree peak heat and one hour battery life. That is not good for a fixed batter device.

Even Youtube 1440p video can get the device hot and there is relatively minimal effort from a GPU for that now. Again, folks that are light to medium users should run into minimal issues, so no harm no foul for them :) The Pure is a great device for those users :)

Mike Spranger

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site

i LOVED the Note 4 when i got it, and the s-pen is nice. i've thought about keeping it around as a wifi tablet, just for the s-pen. it's just too buggy and laggy for everyday use. my texts end up with words repeated because it can't keep up with my typing, and i'm sick of deleting my call and messaging history just to speed it up (my wife will prob start getting suspicious as to why i'm deleting them eventually too)
everyone on here blamed it on touchwiz, so i installed nova launcher and now all my songs skip, whether paying from the sd card, pandora or play music. and it didn't fix any of the lag issues. haven't heard of the package disabler, but too late now i guess :(
you are right about perspective, bet we'd both agree that the note 4 display looks better at first glance, and is more impressive, but i don't mind this screen at all. battery life on moto x is way better than i've been getting with my note 4, but might not be any better than the note 4 was new. camera on note 4 was better, but moto x seems good enough, i bought a nice dslr the other day though for real pictures.it cost about the difference between the pure and the note, and should outlast my next 5 phones
the speakers were a nice surprise - i never used them much on the note, as i usually connect via bluetooth for any music listening, but tried the pure out due to the reviews, and it was pretty impressive. will prob still always connect to bluetooth though.
agreed on the sim tray.

newmanmikeusa

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site

Here's an update: The problem pretty much just affects the top 25% of the screen, and it is only intermittent. When it does happen, usually turning the screen off then back on will fix it.

I even did a reset of the phone to be sure it wasn't just a problem with a launcher I installed. Problem still there.

Otherwise, I really like the phone. It seems quite fast to me. (I do miss my LED light though.) I called customer service, and a replacement is in the works. Hopefully, the replacement won't have this problem.

Update: It took about 2 weeks but the replacement finally arrived. I've used it quite a bit for 2 days now and it (knock on wood) does not have the defective screen problem that the first one did. This is good.

I'm pretty happy with the phone overall. I do miss the LED notification light and physical home button from my Note II. Also the Motorola camera app is not good IMO, but I've been using the Google camera app and have been pretty happy with it.

I really like how quick the phone is.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Update: It took about 2 weeks but the replacement finally arrived. I've used it quite a bit for 2 days now and it (knock on wood) does not have the defective screen problem that the first one did. This is good.

I'm pretty happy with the phone overall. I do miss the LED notification light and physical home button from my Note II. Also the Motorola camera app is not good IMO, but I've been using the Google camera app and have been pretty happy with it.

I really like how quick the phone is.

Nice :D. Be sure to check our Russell's write up here -- Moto X Pure Edition camera tips and tricks | Android Central.

husa3695

May 23, 2011
Visit site

i LOVED the Note 4 when i got it, and the s-pen is nice. i've thought about keeping it around as a wifi tablet, just for the s-pen. it's just too buggy and laggy for everyday use. my texts end up with words repeated because it can't keep up with my typing, and i'm sick of deleting my call and messaging history just to speed it up (my wife will prob start getting suspicious as to why i'm deleting them eventually too)
everyone on here blamed it on touchwiz, so i installed nova launcher and now all my songs skip, whether paying from the sd card, pandora or play music. and it didn't fix any of the lag issues. haven't heard of the package disabler, but too late now i guess :(
you are right about perspective, bet we'd both agree that the note 4 display looks better at first glance, and is more impressive, but i don't mind this screen at all. battery life on moto x is way better than i've been getting with my note 4, but might not be any better than the note 4 was new. camera on note 4 was better, but moto x seems good enough, i bought a nice dslr the other day though for real pictures.it cost about the difference between the pure and the note, and should outlast my next 5 phones
the speakers were a nice surprise - i never used them much on the note, as i usually connect via bluetooth for any music listening, but tried the pure out due to the reviews, and it was pretty impressive. will prob still always connect to bluetooth though.
agreed on the sim tray.

Are you a heavy user, I'm on the fence about this or the 6P. The battery life kinda scares me. I'm not going to limit my phone use just to get the phone to last 12 hours, some people say that they turn off WiFi and limit account sync in the background and I just don't want to do that. I also have a note 4 and that phone no longer lasts 12 hours anymore.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Are you a heavy user, I'm on the fence about this or the 6P. The battery life kinda scares me. I'm not going to limit my phone use just to get the phone to last 12 hours, some people say that they turn off WiFi and limit account sync in the background and I just don't want to do that. I also have a note 4 and that phone no longer lasts 12 hours anymore.

I'm generally happy with the Pure battery life. I get 4.5 hours SOT with a light mix of games and heavier with web and video. If heavier with games 3.5 SOT and about 3 SOT if mainly games. 3D games are main part of that mix.

I do not have active display or eye sensors on and display brightness at 20%, which is same brightness as my Note 4 at 40%.

wire1141

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Which color of leather did you get? I'm wanting to swap my dark teal back for leather and was hoping for a little more grip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12