I got my Moto X Pure Edition! (First Impressions and User Reviews)

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
As I said something is wrong with theirs.

I get liking the MXPE but I still won't down play other phones just because I don't use them. The Note 5 is beast mode even with the bloat. It is pretty hard to deny that. Camera, speed, screen, battery, etc. Is this the case for all? Sometimes not just like some HATE the MXPE whereas some of us love it and have no issues.

Note is OK.. Before I got my x.. I am so used to and inlove with the front facing speakers are do not think I could ever go back to a phone without them

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Note is OK.. Before I got my x.. I am so used to and inlove with the front facing speakers are do not think I could ever go back to a phone without them

I get this -- I was simply commenting on you saying you "read it lagged" -- so I was asking if you used one before because it shouldn't lag. I get not liking due to preference but to say things like "It lags" without trying is unfair imo.

amosrock

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Frustrations with the OS

Hmm, I didn't try with my car aux-in but I did just try with my headphones and the call came through my headphones without having to do anything. I would think this works the same way.

In my car, I'm connected to bluetooth but I'm guessing this isn't an option?

Yeah no bluetooth in my car unfortunately. My old iPhone 5 wouldn't do calls through the car speakers either until they updated the software. And it always worked on my 6+. So I'm thinking it has something to do with software that isn't allowing it to send the sound through the car speakers.

Either way it's really not a deal breaker like I said. The speaker on the phone is loud enough so I can just use that if need be. Maybe I'll get lucky and marshmallow will fix it.

amosrock

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Thought I'd update with my progress toward finding solutions for my issues just in case anyone else is looking for similar answers...

Battery Life - The turbo charger is great but my battery is usually dead shortly after I get home from work. I'm not a super heavy user. My phone plays music in my car for 2 hours per day. I watch about 45 min of Netflix per day. And I send a few texts per day. With my iPhone I'd be able to make it from morning to bed time without any issue. With this phone it's around 30% by the time I get home and then when I start using it more in the evening it drops down very quickly. I usually have to put it on a charger within 30 minutes of being home and using my phone.

Still no progress on this one. I charged my phone 3 times yesterday (2 only partial)...

Music - I don't like the google play music app. I use my phone as my iPod and plug it into my car using the auxiliary jack. I've tried Poweramp, Rocket Player, and Amazon Prime Music. The Amazon app is alright but it's not as organized as I would like. Poweramp and Rocket Player don't allow me to easily sort by genre. I have a very large music library spanning multiple genre's that I keep very organized. With the way the iPhone music app USED TO work I could tap "Genre" and then see a list of all the genre's. And then if I tapped on one I would see a list of all artists in that genre. Tapping on one of those artists would then show a list of albums from them. Part of my frustration with the iPhone music app was that when they updated it they made it so that tapping on a genre immediately shows a list of albums instead of artists. I'd much rather see a list of 50 artists in a genre than see an alphabetical list of 300 albums that aren't grouped together. My problem with Rocket Player and Poweramp both is that they behave the same way. No way to tap Genre and see Artist next. Can anyone recommend a music app that does what I am looking for? I don't need anything super complicated. I don't care about equalizers, I don't care about streaming music, I don't care about editing tags or any of that stuff. I just want a straight forward, user friendly music player that can easily accommodate a large library.

Downloaded about 30 different music apps before finding one that works exactly how I want. GoneMAD Music Player is the solution and it's fantastic. You can customize just about anything in it. I'm surprised more of the "best music players for android" lists I read didn't mention it.

Games - I only play 2 games regularly. Family Guy: The Quest For Stuff, and The Simpsons: Tapped Out. Both of these lag quite a bit and are very choppy. It isn't consistently like that. Most of the time if I'm on the app for a few minutes it seems to sort of kick into gear and works just fine. But at first it is slow. I have also found that the simpsons game only works on WiFi. If I try to get on it while not connected to WiFi it shows the initial startup screen and then immediately goes black. I don't have this problem when on WiFi. On my iPhone I was able to play the game whether it was WiFi or LTE.

Oddly the lag seems to be getting better. Not sure why that is but I won't complain. I still can't get on the simpsons game if I'm not on WiFi and it's driving me nuts. I like to play on my lunch breaks at work and we don't have WiFi.

Browser - I'm not sure I like Chrome as the browser on my phone. Getting into the bookmarks seems cumbersome to me. Can anyone recommend a better browser?

Someone recommended changing the tab setting to stay in the browser. I did this and it definitely helps. From reading about other browsers I didn't see anything I thought would be a better option. Sticking with Chrome for now.

Gmail - I hate the gmail app. I have to swipe each email to delete it. With my iPhone I could tap "edit" and then select however many emails I wanted and batch delete. I get a lot of emails in the morning that I usually don't read (ads and such) and I'd like to be able to select and delete more than one at a time. Is there another app with this functionality?

Thanks to Ry I was educated that this functionality is in the gmail app. No complaints from me now.

Alarm Clock - I noticed this morning that 2 of my alarms didn't go off. I set 4 because I usually have a hard time getting up in the morning and I had to be up extra early for a meeting. The first 2 I had set did not go off. Luckily the last 2 did (and thankfully I have my wife set alarms as well just in case). Has anyone else add issues with alarms not going off? Is there a better app that is reliable 100% of the time?

No progress on this one. May just have to make due.

Also is there a way to make the app drawer screen scroll horizontally instead of vertically? For whatever reason the first day I got the phone it was horizontal and then the next day it changed itself to verticle. Not sure if this is from some sort of update or what...

Downloaded Nova Launcher (awesome) and it has the horizontal scrolling. The app icons are a little small for me but it looks like if I pay for the "prime" version I can change that so assuming I keep the phone I'll pay for that.

WiFi - Last night when I got home my phone automatically connected to my WiFi like it should. About 20 minutes later it disconnected itself and kept saying "Authentication error" when I would try to connect again. My wife's phone (also a XPE) was connected just fine. I ended up having to "forget" the network and log back in to get it to connect. I have no idea why that happened but it was concerning to say the least.

No issues last night so I'm not sure what happened the night before. My wife did tell me the same thing happened to her earlier in the day (the same day it happened to me).

Notepad - I downloaded a notepad app (I was surprised there wasn't one?) but I'm not liking it very much. Anyone have a good suggestion for a notepad app?

A couple of people suggested Google Keep. I downloaded it and it's awesome! Way better than the iOS notepad app. Very happy with that suggestion.

All in all I'm definitely making some progress on these things thanks to the help from you guys. Hopefully I can figure out some of these others.

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Thought I'd update with my progress toward finding solutions for my issues just in case anyone else is looking for similar answers...

Still no progress on this one. I charged my phone 3 times yesterday (2 only partial)...

Downloaded about 30 different music apps before finding one that works exactly how I want. GoneMAD Music Player is the solution and it's fantastic. You can customize just about anything in it. I'm surprised more of the "best music players for android" lists I read didn't mention it.

Oddly the lag seems to be getting better. Not sure why that is but I won't complain. I still can't get on the simpsons game if I'm not on WiFi and it's driving me nuts. I like to play on my lunch breaks at work and we don't have WiFi.

Someone recommended changing the tab setting to stay in the browser. I did this and it definitely helps. From reading about other browsers I didn't see anything I thought would be a better option. Sticking with Chrome for now.

Thanks to Ry I was educated that this functionality is in the gmail app. No complaints from me now.

No progress on this one. May just have to make due.

Downloaded Nova Launcher (awesome) and it has the horizontal scrolling. The app icons are a little small for me but it looks like if I pay for the "prime" version I can change that so assuming I keep the phone I'll pay for that.

No issues last night so I'm not sure what happened the night before. My wife did tell me the same thing happened to her earlier in the day (the same day it happened to me).

A couple of people suggested Google Keep. I downloaded it and it's awesome! Way better than the iOS notepad app. Very happy with that suggestion.

All in all I'm definitely making some progress on these things thanks to the help from you guys. Hopefully I can figure out some of these others.

I just discovered today why my alarms weren't going off, and it's because of Google's terrible implementation of the volume settings on lollipop. As you probably discovered, the only way to set your phone to silent mode is to press "none" after you hit one of the volume buttons. However, this silences your alarms too (super smart, guys..). As an alternative, if you ever need to silence your phone, just put it in priority mode (next to "none" ). Assuming you have nobody on your priority list, your phone is effectively silenced with your alarms still active.

Luckily, the new version of Android coming out soon has reverted back to the old method of simply holding down the volume down button for silent.

Also, I highly recommend downloading Timely from the store. It is a beautiful and extremely functional alarm/stopwatch/timer app.

If this wasn't your problem, then I'm not sure how to help you! Good luck!

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
sorry the customizable leather back of mine, and the bamboo back of my wife's feels great also and they won't crack if they get dropped. Yeah sorry you can't customize your note..

As for the touchwiz and other carrier bloatware laggy issues. Yep mxpe has got it right. Let Android do Android and its buttery smooth..

And I can still have all my movies and music on sd card when I told travel so I can swap them in and out on the airplane.. Or in the mountains.

Sorry I used to be a Samsung fan. But what they did this year lost me bro. Sorry

You don't have to apologize, I don't care what device you use. I'm happy with my Note 5, you're happy with your X. For the things important to me, camera, screen, battery life, the note 5 is better in each category.

When Samsung puts out a product this beautiful, I don't need or want to customize it. I love the glass back and the sapphire black looks great. To me, the customization is a little gimmicky. Almost all phones offer at least a black and white choice these days. All you're really doing is picking the back you like and a small accent color. Eh. A bunch of people will then throw a case on to cover it up, so what's really the point? Again, my preference. Obviously people think it's a cute idea, just not something that appeals to me.

amosrock

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I just discovered today why my alarms weren't going off, and it's because of Google's terrible implementation of the volume settings on lollipop. As you probably discovered, the only way to set your phone to silent mode is to press "none" after you hit one of the volume buttons. However, this silences your alarms too (super smart, guys..). As an alternative, if you ever need to silence your phone, just put it in priority mode (next to "none" ). Assuming you have nobody on your priority list, your phone is effectively silenced with your alarms still active.

Luckily, the new version of Android coming out soon has reverted back to the old method of simply holding down the volume down button for silent.

Also, I highly recommend downloading Timely from the store. It is a beautiful and extremely functional alarm/stopwatch/timer app.

I'll try timely! Thank you!

I don't keep my phone on silent at night so I don't think that was the issue with it not going off but maybe timely will be more reliable anyway.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Again -- I am going off first hand experience. To simply go off videos is pointless. Should I find videos where people say the Moto X Pure Edition sucks? I could do the same and I am sure you would disagree from your first hand experience -- or am I mistaken?

Every time I see your posts I want to watch Southpark.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I'll try timely! Thank you!

I don't keep my phone on silent at night so I don't think that was the issue with it not going off but maybe timely will be more reliable anyway.

Where did you have sound set? The way Google implemented sounds in 5.0 was horrible (at least to me). The combined everything together and then had these new modes and there was no way to silent all easily.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I would say this was probably the issue. It took me awhile to figure out why my alarms were not working when I upgraded to 5.0 as well.

amosrock

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Where did you have sound set? The way Google implemented sounds in 5.0 was horrible (at least to me). The combined everything together and then had these new modes and there was no way to silent all easily.

The sound was on full volume. And 2 of my 4 alarms went off. It was just the first 2 that didn't.

There's always a small chance too that they actually did go off and I literally have no recollection of turning them off lol. With as obnoxious as the alarm is (which is good) it would surprise me but it's possible.

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Yeah no bluetooth in my car unfortunately. My old iPhone 5 wouldn't do calls through the car speakers either until they updated the software. And it always worked on my 6+. So I'm thinking it has something to do with software that isn't allowing it to send the sound through the car speakers.

Either way it's really not a deal breaker like I said. The speaker on the phone is loud enough so I can just use that if need be. Maybe I'll get lucky and marshmallow will fix it.

I'll have to give this a try later. I wonder if there's a difference between the heads of an aux cable and headphone cable that the phone recognizes.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
The sound was on full volume. And 2 of my 4 alarms went off. It was just the first 2 that didn't.

There's always a small chance too that they actually did go off and I literally have no recollection of turning them off lol. With as obnoxious as the alarm is (which is good) it would surprise me but it's possible.

Did you check that your alarms were set to repeat - I.e. go off on. The days you want it to. Expand the alarm and hit repeat and check the days you want them to go off.

The Google alarm is fantastic and works well for me as long as this is remembered.

amosrock

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you check that your alarms were set to repeat - I.e. go off on. The days you want it to. Expand the alarm and hit repeat and check the days you want them to go off.

The Google alarm is fantastic and works well for me as long as this is remembered.

I don't use the repeat function at all actually. I turn them on before I go to sleep each night. Its a weird OCD thing lol.

amosrock

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I'll have to give this a try later. I wonder if there's a difference between the heads of an aux cable and headphone cable that the phone recognizes.

I don't know...I can't see there really being a difference. Plus the AUX cable I'm using is the same AUX cable I used with my iPhone 6+ and the voice came through the speakers with no problem.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I have done that plenty of times only to find out I have 15-30 minutes to get up showered dressed and catch the bus :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463