05-01-2017 03:10 PM
389 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    Hard to take a bad picture with scenery that amazing.
    This is true. Although I have taken a Nexus 5, a One M7, and a Galaxy S6 to Yosemite in the past. The Nexus 5 and One M7 left me with some pretty meh pictures, but the Moto X Pure photos are right up there with the S6 photos.
    10-23-2015 10:59 AM
    Time for a tour of Yosemite Valley.

I ran into an issue with this shot. I needed HDR to keep the sky from blowing out or the trees from being too dark, but if I framed the shot how I wanted, the camera was exposing for the sky too much and even with HDR, the trees were too dark. Switching to manual focus / exposure didn't help because that disabled HDR, which I needed. So I ended up having to point the camera more down than I would have liked so that it got exposure right on the trees, and then I just cropped the bottom out to make it a 16:9 aspect photo.

Went Ansel Adams on this one.

Loiter, ezvv, Laura Knotek and 4 others like this.
    10-23-2015 11:47 AM
    Posting full res images really brings the AC app to a crawl doesn't it? Oh well.

And a low light shot after the sun had set. I had to reduce the exposure to try to reproduce how dark it actually was.
    http://i.imgur.com/v8wqZQ6.jpg
    stock camera app? are you just pointing and shooting or doing extra stuff?
    10-25-2015 09:29 AM
    stock camera app? are you just pointing and shooting or doing extra stuff?
    Yep, stock app, just pointing and shooting.
    10-26-2015 01:49 PM
    Time for a tour of Yosemite Valley.

http://i.imgur.com/Vi7wJHZ.jpg

I ran into an issue with this shot. I needed HDR to keep the sky from blowing out or the trees from being too dark, but if I framed the shot how I wanted, the camera was exposing for the sky too much and even with HDR, the trees were too dark. Switching to manual focus / exposure didn't help because that disabled HDR, which I needed. So I ended up having to point the camera more down than I would have liked so that it got exposure right on the trees, and then I just cropped the bottom out to make it a 16:9 aspect photo.
    http://i.imgur.com/4F8k5kU.jpg

Went Ansel Adams on this one.
    http://i.imgur.com/lqT9Mlu.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NBWCM8m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pZS183h.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RK8KUmr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bzPRvB6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OmYtCEK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/V3k4jNq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Nu63Nje.jpg
    These pictures are incredible for multiple reasons.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-26-2015 08:25 PM
    I've been meaning to upload photos for a while now some I took the other week.

Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20151012_160751610.jpg
    Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20151012_160806171.jpg
    Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20151012_161946033.jpg
    Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20151012_162221950_hdr.jpg
    Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20151012_162357686.jpg
    10-27-2015 10:34 AM
    Sure looks like those Nexus phones took the life out of this thread.
    project.in.process likes this.
    11-14-2015 07:20 AM
    FWIW the marshmallow update is supposed to include some camera improvements, especially low light.
    11-14-2015 12:46 PM
    Sure looks like those Nexus phones took the life out of this thread.
    Pretty standard since most of us are tech nerds to one degree or another and many keep jumping along to each new shiny object. And considering that the new Nexus devices have shockingly good cameras, just like the XPE had when it launched, along with the normal "latest version of Android" thing, it's no surprise that so many members have moved over to that discussion.

I will admit that, considering the closer pricing and potential for excellent cameras in comparison, I might wait on my next upgrade until after the 2016 Moto X AND the Nexus are released to make sure I jump to my next shiny object with absolute happiness. Because, for all the good-ness from the new camera and stereo speakers, there's something about this year's X that just doesn't deliver the day-to-day WOW factor that last year's did. I can't explain it but it just doesn't. I still very much love it other than potentially sketchy call quality compared to the two previous generations.
    ezvv likes this.
    11-14-2015 09:06 PM
    FWIW the marshmallow update is supposed to include some camera improvements, especially low light.
    Source link?
    11-14-2015 09:06 PM
    Try Google plus Moto x forum.
    11-14-2015 09:21 PM
    Pretty standard since most of us are tech nerds to one degree or another and many keep jumping along to each new shiny object. And considering that the new Nexus devices have shockingly good cameras, just like the XPE had when it launched, along with the normal "latest version of Android" thing, it's no surprise that so many members have moved over to that discussion.

I will admit that, considering the closer pricing and potential for excellent cameras in comparison, I might wait on my next upgrade until after the 2016 Moto X AND the Nexus are released to make sure I jump to my next shiny object with absolute happiness. Because, for all the good-ness from the new camera and stereo speakers, there's something about this year's X that just doesn't deliver the day-to-day WOW factor that last year's did. I can't explain it but it just doesn't. I still very much love it other than potentially sketchy call quality compared to the two previous generations.
    This is exactly how I feel. I love this phone but I would swap it for a 6p if I could.

11-15-2015 08:25 AM
    Sadness.

Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20151115_081413824.jpg
    Shimon Mor and Loiter like this.
    11-15-2015 09:40 AM
    Try Google plus Moto x forum.
    So random chat and not an actual Moto source? Meh. I'll wait for a source to push it out.
    11-15-2015 04:54 PM
    Smh. Two people who are moderators on the Moto X forum and they both are test driving marshmallow. But whatever, I didn't say it was gospel.
    jephanie likes this.
    11-15-2015 06:31 PM
    Haven't been able to take many shots with the phone. I hope I will in the near future.
    Just a couple of photos, nothing spectacular, to keep this thread alive.
    The second is one a bit compressed in imgur so it doesn't take a lot of space.

11-18-2015 06:17 AM
    Bright blue sky in Savannah, GA
    Attached Thumbnails Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-16554.jpg  
    Laura Knotek and jephanie like this.
    11-24-2015 05:50 PM
    Took this the other day after work. It's a close up of the berries on my fire bush in the yard.

Attached Thumbnails Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-10704.jpg  
    Laineyc, Laura Knotek and jephanie like this.
    11-25-2015 08:34 PM
    Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20151126_095347452_hdr.jpg

Our lazy sheep standing around. This was taken in bright, contrasty morning side-light which can be difficult for any sensor other than those with the highest dynamic range. This was with HDR mode "On". It did ok. The highlights were still blown and the shadows were too dark. I did a little post-processing to even out the exposure. Not bad for a camera phone...but not great either. iPhones (IMO) tend to really produce the best images overall.

I do like the simple interface and usually stick with the Control Focus and Exposure mode. Works nicely. Overall, I'm happy with this camera. Great for quick shots (especially with launching the app via the wrist twitch) and good results. I usually have my Richo GR with me for more "serious" work.
    11-26-2015 09:57 PM
    Managed to take some pics these past few days. More than satisfied with the result. The one with the running water was in the middle of the night, with very little light and I was afraid for the result. It came up just fine.

IMG_20151129_130009491-03 by Elaith, on Flickr

IMG_20151129_122829866-01 by Elaith, on Flickr

IMG_20151128_202724128-03 by Elaith, on Flickr

IMG_20151126_182754798-01 by Elaith, on Flickr
    11-30-2015 03:42 PM
    Just snap these real quick my Accord and my coworker's Charger. HDR auto is on and it was on for my car but not the Charger
    Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20151201_115233290_hdr.jpg

Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20151201_115433668.jpg
    12-01-2015 02:34 PM
    12-05-2015 11:02 PM
    I've had the Pure for the last week and also the Nexus 5x and a Nexus 6. Surprisingly, of all 3 the Moto X has the worst pics. This is after looking at the pics on a computer thru google photos.

I'll directly download them to my pc to see the full size files soon. From what I see so far though the camera has some, maybe ALL of these problems:

1. Low contrast in images. This could simply be that the lens they use is of lower quality than the nexus ones. You pay thousands of $$ for good camera lenses and this is to get things like low distortion and good contrast without internal reflections. The issue on contrast "could" also be they just have crappy image algorithms. I've played with a few of the images trying to tweak out the curves in Photoshop to color correct and contrast correct but have had little success. This leads me to believe more that the problem is simply bad glass to begin with...a cheap lens on the camera.

2. Really bad noise as the sensor reaches it's limits. There is a lot of color noise present in the images. The Nexus cameras remove most of the color noise the processing in the moto x doesn't. The pure images get really crunchy and grungy at their low and high light limits.

3. Poor detail. This is weird. 21 mp vs. the Nexus's 12mp. Both the old Nexus 6 and the new 5x at least 80% of the time resolve more detail than the Pure. I've noticed that a lot of this is caused by camera movement. The Nexus cameras take the shot instantly but then process it. On the Pure you tap on the screen and there is often a delay which leaves time for you to be slightly moving the phone with you hands causing blur which amounts to robbing you of detail. So, twice the megapixels but a more shaky shooting experience equals detail robbing blur. If I mounted each camera in a tripod every time I took a shot and could force the ISO on the pure to never go past 320 then you'd likely see the pure do much better..but who carries around a tripod for a camera phone..

4. Audio thru headset. Pure is 2nd best. Surprisingly the Nexus 6 is the loudest and cleanest of the 3. The 5x doesn't have the volume of the others but the sound is good. Pair with external amp and you have a nice headphone rig.

Anyway, to be clear, I believe the image issues with the pure start with the lens itself. This can never be fixed. You will always lose contrast to internal reflections and poor lens coating. They could get away with that if they had some really good image processing software as you took the shot, but they don't right now.

Edited to add, the surprise here has been the Nexus 6. It has the best audio, 2nd best pictures, feels the best in my hand and was by far the cheapest. Didn't expect that phone to be so tempting.
    project.in.process likes this.
    12-07-2015 02:51 AM
    Nexus 6 feeling best in your hand? It's for me one of the worst phones in terms of size.
    I also have to disagree about the camera quality in the Nexus 6. The 5X/P yeah can be better in low-light, but not Nexus 6.
    12-07-2015 05:52 AM
    12-07-2015 12:34 PM
389 ... 1112131415 ...