05-01-2017 03:10 PM
389 1234 ...
tools
    Note 4s auto image processing will do that and it does give a little bit of an orange hue if not in very low light situations. I have still taken one of my favorite pictures ever w/ a Note 4 under a porch light b/c of the processing. It also automatically sharpens everything.

From this side by side alone accompanied w/ what I've seen previously, I feel confident in what the camera does in well lit situations.

I look forward to more of your side by sides. Feel free to PM me your PayPal address and I'll send you $5 for your time lol.
    Ha no need. After taking only about 50 pictures over the last 2 hours (i.e. a very early summary) and one video I would describe the MXPE as:

"Like the Nexus 6 only better, plus the video camera doesn't constantly refocus."
    sulla1965 likes this.
    09-11-2015 12:40 PM
    upload to youtube and share the link?

4k video. Recorded while walking.
    This thing takes a ton of space. It gives you a warning beforehand lol.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-11-2015 12:49 PM
    Dog pictures from my normally lit living room (some might consider it a little lower light than would be optimal)

Not going for 'best shot ever' here, just snap and post . Also I uploaded these through Tapatalk, not sure what kind of compression there is there.

Side by side vs note 4 coming when I can get my wife's phone from her.

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...b8739c1ba0.jpghttps://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...6e468e578c.jpghttps://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09...5d3d2fa4d6.jpg
    O.. m .. g. PUPPPPPPY!! (Sorry I like dogs) lol.
    Clocks likes this.
    09-11-2015 03:31 PM
    Have you noticed any shutter lag?

I ask because I have a suspicion that this camera is the same hardware as the one on the Droid Turbo but with some software tweaks to it. IIRC, you once had a Turbo but got rid of it because of the shutter lag.
    Is it a Sony sensor in the DROID TURBO?
    09-11-2015 03:44 PM
    Only the cat under the window is HDR. Everything else is standard. I tried to pick opportunities with challenging lighting just because that's where it can be make-or-break sometimes.

Attachment 196288Attachment 196289Attachment 196290Attachment 196291Attachment 196292Attachment 196293Attachment 196294Attachment 196295
    09-11-2015 05:08 PM
    Selfie with front camera and flash. Attachment 196301

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    jimbo1mcm, Mel823, DC Wuff and 3 others like this.
    09-11-2015 05:49 PM
    Auto mode for everything (HDR off on both). I opened the photos in paint.net to add the text, then saved tham as jpeg at 95% quality.

I took about 20 pics (shutter snapped at the same time, lenses about an inch apart from eachother) and this is typical of the differences. Note 4 is still quite a bit better in color accuracy and detail (hint: my living room doesn't have an weird blue glow to it as the MXPE shows. but the shepherd also isn't as orange as the Note 4 makes him look). I would say the MXPE is closer to the Nexus 6 in how it handles this situation than it is to the Note 4.

Attachment 196239
    Attachment 196240
    Would have been fun if you posted both without telling us and had people pick which one looks better....

I can see what you're saying about the orange tint on the note 4, but that aside the colors are vibrant, vs a bit washed out looking on the X
    09-11-2015 06:19 PM
    Some really low light shots:

MOTO X PURE EDITION!
    09-11-2015 06:59 PM
    Is it a Sony sensor in the DROID TURBO?
    Yes, I've read it is a Sony IMX230 sensor.
    09-11-2015 07:31 PM
    Some really low light shots:

MOTO X PURE EDITION!
    That is encouraging. Very little noise in the dark areas of each shot. What was the light source?
    09-11-2015 07:33 PM
    Sorry to be the first to say it, but i'm not impressed at all. looks like a typical moto pic to me.
    They aren't horrible or anything, but the coloring is wrong, the almost appear to have a gray-ish or slight washed out / flat looking, but with some over saturation at the same time.

The pic of the dog taken with the Note. the note blows it away. sorry.
    kj11 likes this.
    09-11-2015 07:51 PM
    Sorry to be the first to say it, but i'm not impressed at all. looks like a typical moto pic to me.
    They aren't horrible or anything, but the coloring is wrong, the almost appear to have a gray-ish or slight washed out / flat looking, but with some over saturation at the same time.

I agree. Outside it may do great (most all cell phones do) but inside its just a modest improvement over last year and the nexus 6. Or maybe we just keep our house really dark inside lol...

It ain't going to beat Samsung or LG though.
    09-11-2015 08:19 PM

All of the non-HDR pics from mine have been very color-accurate. The HDR pic was a little overdone with the orange in the cat but was still nice looking compared to the actual scene. I'm quite satisfied by the camera, especially since I can buy two of these awesome devices for the prices of one Note.
    redeyss, DC Wuff and Eduardo06sp like this.
    09-11-2015 08:19 PM

Can we expect a $400 phone to compete w/ a Note though? Not at all. I agree that the Note 4 is a premiere and arguably the best camera on the planet but I'm not expecting the Pure to top that. I just want it to compete and I think it does. I think the camera looks pretty good to be honest. Plus it's Moto Android which >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Touchwiz and Moto's features >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sammy's features. If they could get Sammy's photo processing, this would be the perfect phone IMO

I'll probably be trading my Note 4 for this.
    jephanie, co.ag.2005 and DC Wuff like this.
    09-11-2015 10:46 PM
    Can we expect a $400 phone to compete w/ a Note though? Not at all. I agree that the Note 4 is a premiere and arguably the best camera on the planet but I'm not expecting the Pure to top that. I just want it to compete and I think it does. I think the camera looks pretty good to be honest. Plus it's Moto Android which >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Touchwiz and Moto's features >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sammy's features. If they could get Sammy's photo processing, this would be the perfect phone IMO

I'll probably be trading my Note 4 for this.
    When Motorola advertises it as a "top rated" camera, yea I think certain expectations come with that...
    mayconvert and Eduardo06sp like this.
    09-12-2015 01:45 AM
    Best in class can also be interpreted based on the price of the phone. If you want the best screen and camera, Samsung is your best bet. But if you want mostly stock Android with some subtle enhancements, good radios (what a concept for a phone), an SD slot, hopefully fast carrier free updates, the ability to take your phone to any carrier, a real company (One Plus I'm looking at you), the ability to customize and also a good (not great) screen and camera, this phone should work for you (assuming your battery needs are average and you're willing/able to charge sometimes during the day). And if paying hundreds of dollars less than a top of the line Samsung has value for you. The beauty of Android is the gift of choice.
    09-12-2015 06:17 AM
    Not sure if he also added Youtube stabilization to this, but the lack of shakiness is crazy (it's almost too aggressive, as you can see some waviness happening)

This looks sharp, but the contrast also looks very low. Any reason for that?
    jasmeer oberoi likes this.
    09-12-2015 11:11 AM
    Auto mode for everything (HDR off on both). I opened the photos in paint.net to add the text, then saved tham as jpeg at 95% quality.

I took about 20 pics (shutter snapped at the same time, lenses about an inch apart from eachother) and this is typical of the differences. Note 4 is still quite a bit better in color accuracy and detail (hint: my living room doesn't have an weird blue glow to it as the MXPE shows. but the shepherd also isn't as orange as the Note 4 makes him look). I would say the MXPE is closer to the Nexus 6 in how it handles this situation than it is to the Note 4.

Attachment 196239
    Attachment 196240
    The color differences here are due to white balance, and are easily corrected in software. What cannot be recovered, however, is fine detail. Zoom in on the dog's rear leg and look at the light hair on the leg in contrast to the dark hair on the body. The top picture has finer detail by a good margin. You don't even have to zoom in to see it.

This whole cellphone camera obsession is a bit like quibbling over who makes the better burger, McDonald's or Burger King. If you want a really good burger, neither of them will be on the list. But if you just want something because it's convenient, either will work.

IMO, either of these will serve as a good snapshot, but neither will serve as a high-quality photograph, at least not without a few touches in post-processing. But cellphone cameras are all about snapshots, i.e. always having a camera with you to take an opportune shot. If you're setting out to capture high-quality photographs, though, a cellphone simply isn't the right tool for the job.

-- Rob
    09-12-2015 11:23 AM
    Excellent camera in good light, it seems to suffer a bit in low light but still I can't understand how much from the samples I've seen.
    Clocks likes this.
    09-12-2015 12:12 PM
    Excellent camera in good light, it seems to suffer a bit in low light
    Pretty much sums up any cell phone camera, and particularly Motorola's.
    09-12-2015 12:25 PM
    Selfie, window view and arrival at a cosplay convention. I am loving this camera. Attachment 196427Attachment 196428Attachment 196429

On2Vegas, Mel823, DC Wuff and 5 others like this.
    09-12-2015 01:47 PM
    Selfie, window view and arrival at a cosplay convention. I am loving this camera.
    Is there a "Beauty" filter or something similar on the front-facing/selfie camera? That particular shot looks very soft, as if a filter of some type was applied. Or maybe the image was compressed by TapaTalk?

I'm really considering this phone for my next Android; there is so much to like. But I'm definitely concerned about the camera quality.
    kj11 likes this.
    09-12-2015 07:03 PM
    Dim room food shot. One is the Note 4 one is the MXPE

Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-img_20150912_201036538.jpg
    Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!-20150912_201056.jpg

spoiler/

the top one is the MXPE, the bottom one is the Note 4

/spoiler
    Eduardo06sp and BlueBlazer60 like this.
    09-12-2015 07:39 PM
    Moto on top?
    09-12-2015 07:49 PM
    Dim room food shot. One is the Note 4 one is the MXPE

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150912_201036538.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	658.8 KB 
ID:	196462
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150912_201056.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	722.9 KB 
ID:	196463

spoiler/

the top one is the MXPE, the bottom one is the Note 4

/spoiler
    Which is more accurate? On my screen the bottom one looks over-saturated.
    09-12-2015 08:02 PM
389 1234 ...