Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition here!

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Post pictures taken with your Moto X Pure Edition (Moto X Style) here!

Best in class can also be interpreted based on the price of the phone. If you want the best screen and camera, Samsung is your best bet. But if you want mostly stock Android with some subtle enhancements, good radios (what a concept for a phone), an SD slot, hopefully fast carrier free updates, the ability to take your phone to any carrier, a real company (One Plus I'm looking at you), the ability to customize and also a good (not great) screen and camera, this phone should work for you (assuming your battery needs are average and you're willing/able to charge sometimes during the day). And if paying hundreds of dollars less than a top of the line Samsung has value for you. The beauty of Android is the gift of choice.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Auto mode for everything (HDR off on both). I opened the photos in paint.net to add the text, then saved tham as jpeg at 95% quality.

I took about 20 pics (shutter snapped at the same time, lenses about an inch apart from eachother) and this is typical of the differences. Note 4 is still quite a bit better in color accuracy and detail (hint: my living room doesn't have an weird blue glow to it as the MXPE shows. but the shepherd also isn't as orange as the Note 4 makes him look). I would say the MXPE is closer to the Nexus 6 in how it handles this situation than it is to the Note 4.

View attachment 196239
View attachment 196240

The color differences here are due to white balance, and are easily corrected in software. What cannot be recovered, however, is fine detail. Zoom in on the dog's rear leg and look at the light hair on the leg in contrast to the dark hair on the body. The top picture has finer detail by a good margin. You don't even have to zoom in to see it.

This whole cellphone camera obsession is a bit like quibbling over who makes the better burger, McDonald's or Burger King. If you want a really good burger, neither of them will be on the list. But if you just want something because it's convenient, either will work.

IMO, either of these will serve as a good snapshot, but neither will serve as a high-quality photograph, at least not without a few touches in post-processing. But cellphone cameras are all about snapshots, i.e. always having a camera with you to take an opportune shot. If you're setting out to capture high-quality photographs, though, a cellphone simply isn't the right tool for the job.

-- Rob

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

Excellent camera in good light, it seems to suffer a bit in low light but still I can't understand how much from the samples I've seen.

GolferChris68

May 14, 2011
Visit site

Selfie, window view and arrival at a cosplay convention. I am loving this camera.
Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Is there a "Beauty" filter or something similar on the front-facing/selfie camera? That particular shot looks very soft, as if a filter of some type was applied. Or maybe the image was compressed by TapaTalk?

I'm really considering this phone for my next Android; there is so much to like. But I'm definitely concerned about the camera quality.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Dim room food shot. One is the Note 4 one is the MXPE

IMG_20150912_201036538.jpg
20150912_201056.jpg

spoiler/

the top one is the MXPE, the bottom one is the Note 4

/spoiler

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

moto on top and note on bottom.
to me in this photo I don't see how anybody can choose one over the other. the moto probably looks more real and the note looks almost to good to be true. as in to much processing. but ether one looks great to me.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

another thing how fast does the moto attach a photo to a text message ? this always takes forever on my note 4 even htough ive got the camera set on 6mp it still sets there for to long saying resizing image.

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

another thing how fast does the moto attach a photo to a text message ? this always takes forever on my note 4 even htough ive got the camera set on 6mp it still sets there for to long saying resizing image.

I don't know, but doesn't that also depend upon the text messaging app you're using?

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I don't know, but doesn't that also depend upon the text messaging app you're using?
well that's with the stock Samsung app . I did try the google messaging app but it wouldn't work right.

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site

well that's with the stock Samsung app . I did try the google messaging app but it wouldn't work right.

I'm not familiar with the stock Samsung app, but I've been using Textra for awhile. It's been working very well for me. I use the paid version, but still, I have had pretty good luck with it.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Which is more accurate? On my screen the bottom one looks over-saturated.
The top one (the Moto x) is much more accurate in this case. At full zoom the note 4 has more detail though. Neither perfectly nailed the color.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

The top one (the Moto x) is much more accurate in this case. At full zoom the note 4 has more detail though. Neither perfectly nailed the color.
This looks like the same white balance issue as with the dog pics: the Moto is cooler while the Note is warmer.

As for detail, though, I think you're looking at difference focus points. I'm guessing the aperture was wide open which will give you shallow depth-of-field, especially close-up like this. In the Moto pic, the focus point is on the nuts in the center, where you can see the fine texture on the surface of the nuts. Closer to the lens, however, at the front of the cake, the shallow depth-of-field starts to show some blur. In the Note pic, the focus point is on the nuts more toward the front, so the cake itself is sharper, but the nuts in the center start to show some depth-of-field blur.

-- Rob

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Here's what I got after a quick tweak of the white balance. They don't match up perfectly since I couldn't compare them side-by-side from my phone, but you get the idea.

-- Rob

Attachments

• 1442143381025.jpg
    1442143381025.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 294
  • 1442143390928.jpg
    1442143390928.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 295