The included TurboCharger 25 is one piece (not brick+cable)

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Is your turbo-charger/quick-charger (whatever it's called) a single unit where the cable is permanently attached to the power block? Meaning, no USB cable? That's very odd. Now you have to carry two cables.

Posted via the Android Central App

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Re: Charger block/cable is one piece?

Is your turbo-charger/quick-charger (whatever it's called) a single unit where the cable is permanently attached to the power block? Meaning, no USB cable? That's very odd. Now you have to carry two cables.

There might be a reason for this. Maybe it's because it is as 25W charger.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

More to do with cost, since there are plenty of higher power charges in two pieces. Moto should have traded up on the power supply and got rid of the bumper :)

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

More to do with cost, since there are plenty of higher power charges in two pieces. Moto should have traded up on the power supply and got rid of the bumper :)

At 25W in stead of 15W your wire in the cable needs to be larger and moto probblally doent want you to just plug in any cable and have melt down

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
At 25W in stead of 15W your wire in the cable needs to be larger and moto probblally doent want you to just plug in any cable and have melt down

This is my thinking. Stick a low gauge wire in one of those things would melt it.

Last edited:

MoPhoMan

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

This is my thinking. Stick a low gauge wire in one offer those things would melt it.

This has been confirmed by Motorola. Using a lower gauge USB cable could possibly impact charging speed and damage the phone, the wire, or the charger itself so they went with a one piece unit to avoid issues. I think it's a smart idea.

I'm not sure I understand the comment in the OP for the need to carry two cables.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

This has been confirmed by Motorola. Using a lower gauge USB cable could possibly impact charging speed and damage the phone, the wire, or the charger itself so they went with a one piece unit to avoid issues. I think it's a smart idea.

I'm not sure I understand the comment in the OP for the need to carry two cables.
Now it's not a USB for connecting to a computer

XT1060

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Now it's not a USB for connecting to a computer

XT1060

you can still use your old chargers and the computer it just wont be 25W fast charge thats all. the 2.0 chargers will work just fine, i plan on using my OG moto X charger for over night charging since i wont need it fast .

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site

MoPhoMan was asking what the op meant about carrying two cables

XT1060

Meaning if you are not near a wall outlet and need to charge, you'll need a separate cable to charge from your laptop or a power block (via USB port). Since the oem charger is one piece, you can't use it to charge any other way but a wall outlet.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

Meaning if you are not near a wall outlet and need to charge, you'll need a separate cable to charge from your laptop or a power block (via USB port). Since the oem charger is one piece, you can't use it to charge any other way but a wall outlet.

Exactly

XT1060

reno55

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site

So Qualcomm quick charge won't work the same as turbo charging?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Yes and no. Slightly slower, but still quick charge 2.0 speeds with a non-Motorola charger that is 2.0 complaint.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site

I can understand having the cord integrated but I would have appreciated folding plug prongs.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

I purchased the Power Pack 4000. It's pretty compact and should be perfect for quick charging on the run. At the discounted price of $7.99, it's a super alternative to plugging in when you need a power boost.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Except every other OEM charger requires a wall outlet if you want to use the charger block. How many other phones have you had? How many other Micro USB cables do you have floating around? The phone will charge using any of those micro USB cables but it won't be quick-charge (which requires the wall-wart anyway).

I get it, I guess, that if you bring your wall charger along but also want the flexibility to use a USB port to charge you will need another cable but that seems to be a minor annoyance. I see the integrated cable as a CYA for Motorola, to prevent the "the Turbo charger melted the regular USB cable I plugged into it because I couldn't find the mega-sized one that came with the phone" lawsuits.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I purchased the Power Pack 4000. It's pretty compact and should be perfect for quick charging on the run. At the discounted price of $7.99, it's a super alternative to plugging in when you need a power boost.

Just to make it clear, the Power Pack 4000 isn't a "Quick Charge"/TurboPower battery pack.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

I purchased a FUZ dock to use with my Pure. The MicroUSB end of the USB cable has a fused plastic fitting that holds it upright in the aluminum dock. This will require me to use a non-turbo charger when I charge it. That suits me. I usually charge overnight anyway. If I need a fast charge, I'll use the Turbo in a different outlet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae