06-04-2016 08:01 AM
202 1234 ...
tools
    Just curious, what backs do those of you with heat issues have? I have a wood (walnut) back, and mine gets pretty hot just browsing the Internet in Chrome. I'm coming from a Note 2 and am liking this phone for the most part, but the mediocre battery life and this heat issue are pushing me towards sending it back... I just hate to give up the nearly-stock Android and the freedom from Verizon's bloatware.
    09-19-2015 01:42 PM
    Deleted (duplicate).
    09-19-2015 01:47 PM
    Mine has definitely been running warm in day to day use. Makes my hands sweat. I am thinking of returning it for this very reason. I think it is affecting battery life also as I can barely break 3 hours screen on time to save my life.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    09-19-2015 03:03 PM
    Mine has not been that hot. I just played Angry Birds for 40 minutes and it was not overly hot, Also Quick Charging WILL NOT harm your battery, Do a little research on Qualcomm and Moto and see the facts. It just boggles my mind that there are a few that talk about Quick Charge like it is going to blow up in your face and destroy your battery.
    Believe everything you read HUH?
    HEAT is bad for electronics and batteries...period. "They" want the battery to fail, and make it almost impossible to replace it so that you will be forced to buy a new phone! If they made the phone to be easily serviceable, with a replaceable battery, then you might not want to buy a new one....they lose revenue...they go out of business...no more Moto phones.
    rushmore likes this.
    09-19-2015 04:38 PM
    Just processed the RMA, back to the trusty steed that is the Note 2 for now. I just couldn't get over the heat issue, and I felt like I didn't want to even use the phone because of the battery life. I understand they cut a few corners to offer this phone for $400, but I'd gladly spend iPhone and Galaxy prices on a high-end unlocked Moto with good features, a good battery, near-stock Android, and expandable memory.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-19-2015 05:56 PM
    Mine got hot once, I was just web browsing.

09-19-2015 07:23 PM
    No heat here. It is slightly warm after downloading on LTE and wifi, over 30gb of apps. I downloaded almost my entire library. All except apps I do not bother with now.

That total is not an exaggeration. I did not use the Moto fast charger, but was using my Note 4 charger. Maybe the heat is due to the Moto charger, since the Pure is cooler than my Note 4 with less of a load in of apps.
    09-19-2015 07:32 PM
    Screen has been on continuously for the past 35 minutes (browsing the AC forums). Battery temp 91.4°F

09-20-2015 07:28 AM
    hmm I realized mine was warm last night when charging like 101°F. I'm going to monitor it more today but right now im charging it with a regular cable and its sitting at 85°F, I do noticed its warm here and there while im just using my phone lightly, not even gaming.

*EDIT*
    okay so I just used the whole for about 10mins browsing around and my phone is sitting 98°F. what is normal temps for the PE?
    09-20-2015 11:23 AM
    hmm I realized mine was warm last night when charging like 101°F. I'm going to monitor it more today but right now im charging it with a regular cable and its sitting at 85°F, I do noticed its warm here and there while im just using my phone lightly, not even gaming.

*EDIT*
    okay so I just used the whole for about 10mins browsing around and my phone is sitting 98°F. what is normal temps for the PE?
    I've noticed the same thing with mine. Only had it for two days ago want to see how things play out after a week of use.

09-20-2015 12:10 PM
    I don't play any CPU intense games, but for what I use my phone for, it's never gotten hotter than barely warm.
    09-20-2015 12:24 PM
    HEAT is bad for electronics and batteries...period. "They" want the battery to fail, and make it almost impossible to replace it so that you will be forced to buy a new phone! If they made the phone to be easily serviceable, with a replaceable battery, then you might not want to buy a new one....they lose revenue...they go out of business...no more Moto phones.
    I worked in the industry and still support contracts in it for small and large customers. People can say what they like, but heat is bad for batteries.
    GeordieAffy likes this.
    09-20-2015 12:32 PM
    I worked in the industry and still support contracts in it for small and large customers. People can say what they like, buy heat is bad for batteries.
    People can say what they like ... but I genuinely believe my gut that that does mess up batteries and also you seem to know your stuff from the posts I have read.

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.
    09-20-2015 02:47 PM
    People can say what they like ... but I genuinely believe my gut that that does mess up batteries and also you seem to know your stuff from the posts I have read.

I just can't check my notes very well. Typed "buy" instead of "but".

It will be interesting to see how the batteries hold up with charge next summer. Runs too hot IMO, so not using it much at all.
    09-20-2015 02:55 PM

It will be interesting to see how the batteries hold up with charge next summer. Runs too hot IMO, so not using it much at all.
    Yeah thats what I'm not looking forward to lol. I will use the turbo charger but only as a last resort but its a beautiful feature to have as sometimes I never get a chance to charge it fully or have long to charge.

But day to day will use a normal charger.

09-20-2015 03:26 PM
    I dont think anybody knows what "hot" for a cell phone battery is. I think 20 or 30 degrees over normal operating temp when on the charger is normal and thats all i has seen. I have worked at power houses that have battery banks of 300 plus batteries and their is fed regulations on how hot and cold they can beand you would be surprised how big of swing in temp they can take
    Ry likes this.
    09-20-2015 04:08 PM

You mean you are not using the pure much now due to heat? If so that is a bit alarming for any potential buyers like myself!
    09-20-2015 05:07 PM
    Probably means using the turbo charger not much at all.
    09-20-2015 06:32 PM
    You mean you are not using the pure much now due to heat? If so that is a bit alarming for any potential buyers like myself!
    Yep, referring to the charger.
    09-20-2015 06:36 PM
    Yep, referring to the charger.
    Phew thank goodness as I am so close to ordering this phone in the UK when they get stock in!
    09-20-2015 06:43 PM
    I would have to say this is a little extreme. Yes the battery isn't super easy to replace like a user replaceable one but you definitely do not have to buy a new phone to get a new battery.
    09-20-2015 07:03 PM
    I would have to say this is a little extreme. Yes the battery isn't super easy to replace like a user replaceable one but you definitely do not have to buy a new phone to get a new battery.
    Yep, but would suck none the less Instead of buying or swapping a battery and moving on, you would ship your device and hope things works out. Not like the iPhone where you can go to an Apple store to replace the battery either. I'm liking the device, but based on the tear down, Moto could have easily went the replaceable route. No unibody design- the build is a press, glue and screw process for the back housing and actually seems more complex than a simple back cover would have been. Were it not for the tear down video, I would never have expected this. The design had to have cost more, so really perplexed about it. Darn video, since ignorance is bliss

It is almost like companies do not want consumers holding on to their devices too long and as an industry, forcing their own overall retirement curve
    Stanley Kubrick likes this.
    09-20-2015 09:33 PM
    Those of you saying you aren't experiencing heat issues under normal use, what backs do you have? I'm wondering if the different backs somehow make it heat up more/don't allow it to cool?

09-20-2015 10:08 PM
    I feel like I am having heat issues. It definitely runs hotter than I am used to and heats up pretty quick.

It heats up when web browsing in chrome.

It heats up a lot when using GPS for navigation.

Too early to tell if it will be a major issue. I will say that I never noticed any degradation in performance when I noticed this heat so I think personally it is more of a comfort issue. If I do keep this phone I'll probably get a case to keep my fingers off the back when it heats up.

I have the plastic back BTW.

09-20-2015 10:42 PM
    My Moto X gets really warm with normal Web browsing. My wife, who uses a 1st Gen Moto g also felt the same. She felt the same with the Moto g 3rd Gen, which I returned to purchase this one

It also hung while receiving a call and once while playing 2048.

Wonder what's happening!!!

09-20-2015 11:06 PM
202 1234 ...