06-04-2016 09:01 AM
202 12345 ...
tools
    Could we get actual temperatures?
    09-21-2015 01:54 AM
    Got mine to 106°F yesterday. I was at the doctors office, sitting in the waiting room (Fugazi anyone?), and messing around on my phone doing various stuff. That's warm, but not what I would consider hot.

For reference, my phone has an ebony back. Wood is a lousy heat sink.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-21-2015 05:54 AM
    Just when I thought that I have finally convinced myself the battery life won't be too bad and was ready to order this heat problem arises and it does concern me, my Xperia does heat up a bit when I use it and my G3 did but does the Style heat up more!
    09-21-2015 06:03 AM
    I'm wondering if I should be concerned. This morning, for example, I did a little internet browsing, configured some settings, backed up some files to google drive and played a few Words With Friends games and in less than an hour it went from in the low 80s to 104.9 degrees. I have seen it go higher and this seems unusually hot to me. I have the black leather back. Should I be worried?
    09-21-2015 07:26 AM
    Just when I thought that I have finally convinced myself the battery life won't be too bad and was ready to order this heat problem arises and it does concern me, my Xperia does heat up a bit when I use it and my G3 did but does the Style heat up more!
    What heating problems ? Somebody saying it feels warn really means nothing , what feels warm to me might not to someone else. Until we get battery specs and find out operating temp specs all this really means nothing. Just think about battery temp in the middle of the winter compared to the dogs days of summer that's a big temp swing . These batteries can take alot.
    09-21-2015 10:41 AM
    Okay people, we need numbers. What temperatures are you seeing with what usage?
    Ry and jephanie like this.
    09-21-2015 12:01 PM
    I must say, mine has got pretty toasty a few times. I don't even play games on the phone, and it wasn't when it was charging. I was surfing apps. I saw it get up to 116F once.
    09-21-2015 06:56 PM
    Okay people, we need numbers. What temperatures are you seeing with what usage?
    I was using Waze GPS and listening to FBHW app while driving this morning. Also had phone plugged into a turbo charger and was using bluetooth headset. As you can see by the attached image, phone got up to 120°. 120°!! Unplugged the turbo charger and kept it unplugged or plugged into regular charger and it started at about 110° - 113° for my entire five hour drive. During this time I had also turned off the FBHW app and only thing I did was run Waze and occasionally check gmail.

Attached Thumbnails Does the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style have overheating issues?-62790.jpg  
    09-21-2015 07:20 PM
    The G4 gets hot too. Wonder if the 808 is just a hot chip. Probably so, since a gimped version of the 810.
    09-21-2015 07:43 PM
    I am receiving my phone tomorrow and it will be my first Moto X. I have Samsung S5. Honestly no issues with heating, except sometimes when I watch ESPN for an hour or so. GPS I don't have any issue with on S5.

I travel a lot and GPS is used a lot. I hope there are no major heat issues. I will try testing GPS, ESPN, YouTube as soon as I get the phone.

My friend got the phone and is returning it as he's not happy with the heating. But everyone usage is different. I am still being optimistic, waited for almost 3 weeks so why not give this a chance !!
    09-21-2015 07:46 PM
    Did previous owners of Nexus 6 with the 805 chip also face heating issues similar to this?
    09-22-2015 01:46 PM
    Did previous owners of Nexus 6 with the 805 chip also face heating issues similar to this?
    I didn't have a Nexus but any of my phones where I had GPS, Data, etc. going in the car caused it to heat up.
    09-22-2015 01:51 PM
    Hi,

Its been 13 hours I had my phone and I am pretty impressed by it. I was very concerned reading about the heating issues. But honestly, I haven't had any. The phone was just "warm" while I was setting it up. Then it was cool. I even played 1 hour of Espn with 80% screen brightness and it was still very cool. Then I played Pandora, while I had the GPS on and also it was charing while I was driving to an event. It was 40 minutes drive and again not even warm. It was till cool and was working perfectly. Did the same on my drive back from home (45 minutes), I had YouTube playing, phone charging and GPS on. Plus all day I had my Moto 360 also connected. I haven't had the time to test the battery so will give it a week before I know how its working. But as for the performance, I am very vey happy. I honestly don't know what's causing the heat issues.

I even played few online videos using Chrome browser, still nothing.
    09-23-2015 01:00 AM
    Mine gets warm sometimes but it's pretty random... Not sure when it happens exactly. The screen itself getd warm. The phone rules though, so whatever.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    09-23-2015 01:27 AM
    Mine gets warm sometimes but it's pretty random... Not sure when it happens exactly. The screen itself getd warm. The phone rules though, so whatever.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    I've noticed that it's random as well. I played Ingress for an hour yesterday . It was 80°F outside. Screen brightness was at about 75%. The screen and GPS were running for that entire hour. Phone never broke 100°F.

The other day, I was browsing the Internet, with the screen brightness at about 10%, and after 10 minutes it was over 100°F.

Dunno. Like I said......random.

09-23-2015 06:08 AM
    So I got my moto x about a week and half ago and almost immediately noticed two very concerning things.

First, the battery life was bad. Like, the same if not worse than my S6 (reviled for being fairly crappy on batter life among current smartphones) with the same apps and usage. To paint clearer picture of this: 50/50 wifi vs.cell data, 2 hours screen on time (auto brightness), 2 hours of streaming audio (over wifi mostly), 1 of bluetooth speaker connectivity (my commute), and maybe 20-30 min of video steaming a day was getting me 10-11 hours from full charge to phone dying on empty. I know battery life is a tricky thing to comment on person to person, use case to use case, but I have read many comments and reviews of this phone and none mentioned battery life every approaching that little i was getting.

Far more concerning than the battery was the phone heating up for fairly innocuous tasks. It never got so hot as to be truly uncomfortable, but it would easily get hot enough that you couldn't ignore it in the hand. And again, all this from very basic phone usage. I have one very specific examples of this:

My phone started off at 88 degrees F when i took it out of my pocket (I know this because i was in GSam Battery monitor a lot due to the above mentioned battery issues). I sat down, sent three SMS messages with hangouts, then refreshed and scrolled through Instagram for minute, then on to twitter. I refreshed and was scrolling through twitter for about 5 minutes. I didn't load any videos, or even click any links to open the browser, just passing through tweets. The phone started to get noticeably hot. GSam showed the temp had jumped up to 104 degrees. I locked the phone, put it back in my pocket and a few minutes later i checked and the temp had returned to a more reasonable 91.

Now, I don't pretend to know the totally normal operating temps of cell phones. But a jump of 16 degrees in around 5 minutes just from twitter, instagram, and SMS? That does not seem normal at all. If i had been playing games or pushing hi-res video for a while, fine, i get it, but that isn't this.

Anyway, i'd love some thoughts and perspective on my experiences, especially from those who are more knowledgeable than I (read: most people) on the inner workings of these phone and why i might be seeing what i am from this one.

Thanks in advance.
    09-23-2015 02:49 PM
    So I got my moto x about a week and half ago and almost immediately noticed two very concerning things.

First, the battery life was bad. Like, the same if not worse than my S6 (reviled for being fairly crappy on batter life among current smartphones) with the same apps and usage. To paint clearer picture of this: 50/50 wifi vs.cell data, 2 hours screen on time (auto brightness), 2 hours of streaming audio (over wifi mostly), 1 of bluetooth speaker connectivity (my commute), and maybe 20-30 min of video steaming a day was getting me 10-11 hours from full charge to phone dying on empty. I know battery life is a tricky thing to comment on person to person, use case to use case, but I have read many comments and reviews of this phone and none mentioned battery life every approaching that little i was getting.

Far more concerning than the battery was the phone heating up for fairly innocuous tasks. It never got so hot as to be truly uncomfortable, but it would easily get hot enough that you couldn't ignore it in the hand. And again, all this from very basic phone usage. I have one very specific examples of this:

My phone started off at 88 degrees F when i took it out of my pocket (I know this because i was in GSam Battery monitor a lot due to the above mentioned battery issues). I sat down, sent three SMS messages with hangouts, then refreshed and scrolled through Instagram for minute, then on to twitter. I refreshed and was scrolling through twitter for about 5 minutes. I didn't load any videos, or even click any links to open the browser, just passing through tweets. The phone started to get noticeably hot. GSam showed the temp had jumped up to 104 degrees. I locked the phone, put it back in my pocket and a few minutes later i checked and the temp had returned to a more reasonable 91.

Now, I don't pretend to know the totally normal operating temps of cell phones. But a jump of 16 degrees in around 5 minutes just from twitter, instagram, and SMS? That does not seem normal at all. If i had been playing games or pushing hi-res video for a while, fine, i get it, but that isn't this.

Anyway, i'd love some thoughts and perspective on my experiences, especially from those who are more knowledgeable than I (read: most people) on the inner workings of these phone and why i might be seeing what i am from this one.

Thanks in advance.
    10-11 hours with that kind of use of as good as any phone I've ever had. Curious why you don't charge it on your one hour commute? That would make a world of difference.

09-23-2015 04:10 PM
    Really? It's among the worst i've ever gotten. Hell, i was getting better battery time out of my Nexus 5 (with similar usage patterns) way back when. And again, that is not the kind of battery life i've seen described in any of the many review i've read/seen. All those seem to say it can get you through a day with moderate use. 10 hours isn't close to a day. and 2 hours of screen on time is hardly intense usage by normal standards.

And yes, i could charge on the commute. I could also charge, on a normal work day, when i get home. That's kinda not the point. The heat generation and battery life is far below what seems reasonable (and what was predicted by what i've read about the phone from others using it) And, there are many days where I am out in the city etc. where i may have to go more than 10 hours without a charger. I could be crazy, but i don't think it's unreasonable to want a phone that can survive such conditions. Especially considering the S6 i just came from could (barely) and it's biggest critically mentioned downside was bad battery life.
    09-23-2015 08:10 PM
    I guess you have three options. You can live it the way it is which is not acceptable. You can exchange it for another one that hopefully won't have these problems. Or you can return it and simply get a different phone. My phone and many other people's phones don't have these problems fwiw, but others do.
    09-23-2015 09:09 PM
    I had the heat issue this evening. I have a lot (almost all) of the tables with Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball. I was downloading them all and playing some of them- they are GPU heavy apps. The sustained combination got my device over 107 degrees. It also drained the battery much more quickly. My guess is the combo of LTE downloading over 20 minutes and the gpu running with the games did it. Makes no sense this device runs hotter than my Note 5 and the higher nM 805. It also got hot playing Blitz Brigade.

I am going to try some more games and see what happens. Ironic to have all the storage on the 64gb and not be practical to play the games much due to battery life drain and heat.

CPU heavy apps like game emulators barely get the device warm. The heat appears data radio and gpu related. Both MAME and PSP apps use the gpu, but 90% of resources are using the CPU. One of the reasons those apps need fast CPUs to run heavier games smooth.

I probably jinxed things when I said the device rocks
    09-23-2015 11:10 PM
    Got mine to 106°F yesterday. I was at the doctors office, sitting in the waiting room (Fugazi anyone?), and messing around on my phone doing various stuff. That's warm, but not what I would consider hot.

For reference, my phone has an ebony back. Wood is a lousy heat sink.

The argument? Great album.
    rushmore likes this.
    09-23-2015 11:18 PM
    I have a walnut back and haven't experienced any heat issues. Coming from a G4, which got so hot i thought the back cover was going to melt off, this thing is ice cold.
    09-23-2015 11:23 PM
    The argument? Great album.
    I have every CD Fugazi made. No bad or mediocre releases from them.

As far as the Pure, it seems if you are a light to medium user, the heat issues do not tend to flare up. Heavy users that play 3D games on their device (or other GPU heavy apps) though will be getting some heat- especially if using LTE data at same time.

I do not experience the heat with web, streaming video with Youtube or anything other, nor do I with heavy CPU apps like game emulators. I do with games that are GPU heavy and ESPECIALLY with LTE downloading at same time. Seems best advice is if gaming, do NOT download stuff over LTE at same time
    09-23-2015 11:32 PM
    So I noticed that when watching a ten minute YouTube video over wifi my phone got a little warm on the back.. By no means was it hot or even really "toasty", just a little warm... Is this normal or should I be alarmed and send it back for a replacement?
    09-24-2015 12:46 AM
    That's pretty common with most devices. Was the video playing in HD?
    09-24-2015 03:30 AM
202 12345 ...