06-04-2016 08:01 AM
202 ... 56789
tools
    Any small device like this pushing a GPU with 1440p for apps is going to get hot. The MXPE just does not hide it as well as some other devices. The MXPE does appears tp get a little hotter than my Note 4, but the GPU on the Note 4 has a bigger ceiling for 1440p apps. The heat is usually due to apps trying to push 1440p rather than scale apps down to 1080p.
    11-02-2015 01:02 PM
    I received my Moto X Style 64 GB in mid Sep. The CPU temperature rose to 42° C during some file copy and move operation.
    Later when I played games shadow fight 2 and Dead Trigger, phone CPU temperature reached 44° C - 111° F.
    I contacted Motorola customer care to inquire if this is a known issue. They said, I was one of the first user to report this problem and offered to replace the device. I returned the old one and received a replacement device on Friday last week. I was hoping to have a solution to the heating issue with the new device.
    I tried to play the graphics heavy game Modern Combat 5 for 15 minutes and the CPU temperature again reached 44° C - 111° F and the phone feels really hot in hands.
    I am measuring CPU temperature with Cooler Master App.
    Normal CPU temperature varies between 27° C- 35° C.
    I am not sure how much CPU temperature is normal for a phone. Reading the posts here, I feel this is a general issue with the phone. I am really unsure to keep the phone (as I love the phone in general without the overheating issue) or return it and try S6 instead.
    I have a 64 GB version with wallnut finish. Is the overheating problem specific to Moto X Style / Pure with these specs or it is a general issue ?
    I will then return this one as well and try a 32 GB version with leather / silicon back.

Thanks a lot !!
    Was this enough for the phone to shut down?
    11-02-2015 01:19 PM
    Posting here as I did my own post and got very little response perhaps as this thread existed.

I too am concerned about the temperature of my Moto X Style. I have a bamboo back. I've known it get so hot whilst playing a game in a warm room it hurt to touch the metal strip on the back. This wasn't some state of the art 3D game either.

Recently I played a Tetris type game ( called 1010 ) for 15 mins and again so hot can feel it on my finger tip when touching the screen. The screen area where the dimple on the back is seems the hottest point. It gets warm on the web and watching YouTube.

Often I use the phone and return it too my pocket and it's notably warm against my leg. I tried a full factory reset as someone suggested ( and to make the RMA easier ) but it didn't help at all it seems.

I agree with many others this feels abnormal and I'm not happy with it. I wish I could just get a refund as I have no confidence after reading here a new unit will be any better but it's out of the 28 days so I guess they are going to force me into a replacement. Could I ask for a refund with any chance of success??

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-02-2015 04:51 PM
    No, it might happen if I will play graphics heavy game for an hour or so

11-02-2015 04:55 PM
    No, it might happen if I will play graphics heavy game for an hour or so

In all seriousness - try it. If there was an overheating problem, the phone would try to shut itself down by design.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-02-2015 05:03 PM
    It's also good to use a battery monitor like GSAM so you can get a better sense of what causes your phone to get warm and quantify how much so you can compare with others.
    11-02-2015 05:32 PM
    In all seriousness - try it. If there was an overheating problem, the phone would try to shut itself down by design.
    Just played can knockdown 3 for 30 odd minutes, CPU temperature reached 44.8 C this time..

11-02-2015 05:39 PM
    Just played can knockdown 3 for 30 odd minutes, CPU temperature reached 44.8 C this time..

If the phone didn't try to shut itself down, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Laura Knotek and parthbhatt like this.
    11-02-2015 05:41 PM

I get temperatures higher than that just browsing the Web, reading articles and comments for a few minutes in between refreshes. I'm at 115 right now and my phone was just sitting on the desk for the past 10 minutes and I just picked it up a minute ago.. =/. I agree that the dimple on the back actually gets hit to the touch and my hands are sweating from the heat coming out of this thing.
    11-02-2015 06:35 PM
    I've been browsing AC for about 45 minutes using Chrome and I'm up to 108* Definitely getting toasty. I didn't really expect it to get this warm just browsing. It's really chewing through my battery too.

No case, just the stock bumper.
    11-02-2015 10:40 PM
    i think NFC should get off.. may reduce heating problem!!
    11-06-2015 01:49 AM
    I wouldn't worry too much as my Sony Xperia Z3 always runs hot even just web browsing for a few minutes it can hit 130f
    11-06-2015 02:01 AM
    I am using now Moto X Style since a week and the phone temperature varies between 22°C to 45 °C on daily basis.
    Phone normally overheats in case of playing CPU heavy games for long or using the phone for browsing during charging on. Phone didnt shut down itself until now.
    I am not sure if day temperature as hgh as 45° C every day affects the phone performance or battery in the long run.
    The battery performance is infact better than expected. I am a moderate user and charge the phone in the morning.
    With mobile data on full day and around 20-25 minutes of talk time I have 50% of battery in the evening, which is pretty good in my opinion.
    Does the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style have overheating issues?-screenshot_2015-11-06-10-33-54.jpg
    11-06-2015 04:39 AM
    I had the same problem. 98F to 106F for browsing and 108 to 116 while gaming, uncomfortably hot on Motorola dimpo and metal frame surrounding phone. After a while I would feel warm on screen too. Did factory reset, checked in safe mode etc.. nothing helped. Returned it today.
    11-17-2015 04:19 PM
    Just got my Pure Edition yesterday,, and I have to say that I think it's destined to return to whence it came from.
    This thing is burning my hand.
    Is it possible that the tempered glass screen protector is holding in heat?

Thoughts?

11-28-2015 10:29 AM
    I got mine yesterday and it was very hot as well. Not as bad today but still slightly warm from light usage. I believe it will get better over time as the battery is being put under a lot of pressure in the beginning with all the downloads and account syncs going on. If we give it a few days I think it will be better. Just have to wait and see.
    PeltFrelken likes this.
    11-28-2015 10:32 AM
    Mine only seems to get hot when I use the quick charger but other than that it never gets very warm under normal use for the almost 3 months that I have had it.
    Rocketsaucev2 and armon_p like this.
    11-28-2015 11:08 AM
    Still no overheating issues with my Moto X Pure Edition.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-28-2015 12:07 PM
    No overheat issues on mine either.

Laura Knotek and Ry like this.
    11-28-2015 12:24 PM
    Navigation plus quick charge at the same time will warm mine up.
    Laura Knotek and thejesse like this.
    11-28-2015 12:52 PM
    Have not had heat problems with mine and I've had it a little over 2 weeks. Didn't even get more than barely warm when I transferred everything over from my Turbo and I remember the Turbo getting very hot when I first set it up, and also while charging.
    My Pure gets warm while charging, but not hot like my Turbo did. I haven't tried navigation with it yet, but I expect it will get hot then. I've never had a phone that didn't get hot while navigating.
    I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised so far that this phone has been so much smoother than my Turbo, which technically was a more "spec loaded" phone. Hope it continues!

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-28-2015 03:02 PM
    Mine has not gotten excessively warm so far. I've had it about 1½ months so far.
    11-28-2015 03:11 PM
    Install GSam Battery Monitor to measure what temperature does it exactly go to. Mine hovers around 85 to 91 F during moderate usage but goes up to 109 F when gaming.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-28-2015 04:25 PM
    No overheat issues on mine either.

It depends on what do you consider as overheating. Have you tried playing a game for 20 minutes? Mine reaches 46°c with similar amount of game play or navigating while charging.

I ordered my moto x style around a month back and noticed overheating. So I returned it. I got a replacement device which has similar behaviour. So I guess this is an issue with all spec heavy phones. If you let it rest while being charged(it charges pretty quickly anyway) or not a heavy game player, i guess you will not notice the overheating.
    If you want to monitor the temperature and battery usage, use gsam battery monitor app.

Laura Knotek and Coresh like this.
    11-29-2015 01:11 AM
    Okay, dang it....I go and brag that I haven't had any overheating issues and then it happens today!

I like to read articles suggested by Google (you know, when you hit the home button and slide up or go through the "G" icon) and I linked to one today from Forbes magazine. As I was reading there was a sudden pop-up that said as the first owner of a Moto X Pure Edition to visit their site today I had won a prize. It had several items listed (iPad mini, etc.) and told me to pick one. Being the skeptic I am I immediately "Xed" out and when I did another pop-up came up that said "are you sure you want to leave this page?" I hit "yes" and clicked the box that said stop asking this and got out of it.

Well after that my phone was hot! My mind raced about what would cause that from this spam. I cleared out the link from my recent apps/pages and then cleared cache. Then I rebooted my phone. It's been fine since, but man that was unsettling. I don't think I'll be clicking any links to Forbes again!

Anybody else had something similar happen?

11-29-2015 06:47 PM
202 ... 56789