Does the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style have overheating issues?

Ichigo91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Don't own this device yet, but I haven't seen a review yet that mention how much/fast the device heat (if at all) under surfing the net for a while and watching videos (at least for 20-50 min?)

Anyone?

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Heating Issues?

Havent experience it yet but it only heats up when using the charger it comes with which is normal because its charging the battery at a fast rate

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Havent experience it yet but it only heats up when using the charger it comes with which is normal because its charging the battery at a fast rate

Two of a battery's worst enemies are heat and forced charge cycles (fast charging). I will turn it off unless I need to be super quick with a charge and turned it off on the Note 4 and does not even have a fixed battery. Use it if I need it (which with the Note 4 has not been much).

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I have not witnessed any overheating issues with my new Moto X.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Mine got up to 95 degrees during setup. That was me messing around on it while it downloaded all my apps via LTE. After that it operates at normal temps.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does the Moto X Pure Edition have overheating issues?

I never had a overheating issue but it gets pretty hot if you watch youtube for awhile. Especially near the dimple area.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

darkman265

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Moto X Pure Phone getting hot?

I have been experiencing issues with the phone getting extremely hot while browsing the internet up to 116 degrees F

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Phone getting hot?

I wouldn't say "extremely" hot, my note ii got to 154 °F once.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I don't know about extremely hot, but I noticed that this definitely runs warmer than my Note 5.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Check in your battery stats if any app is using an unusual high percentage. Maybe there's some heavy sync running in the background. Being a new phone my bet would be on Google photos or a similar cloud storage. Check the sync settings in that kind of app. Have you noticed if the phone gets hotter while on mobile data?

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site

Moto x pure is definitely runs hot. Especially back nearby dimple area. I am thinking that's the place where they have GPU located.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

My phone gets warm but not what I would call overly hot. The highest GSam has given me was 100F after about 20 or so minutes or texting, chrome, some youtube, etc. It does run warmer then my S6 did but the S6 did get into the low 90s sometimes after the same use. Of course, the S6 is made of metal and glass so it may dissipate heat better or it may not warm up 'all over' like the X does.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I have yet to notice my phone getting hot. Maybe I haven't paid attention to it but I know for sure it hasn't reached the temps that some of you guys have posted. Still comfortable to hold in hand.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't say it gets uncomfortable by any means. To me it just feels warm, at least on the back. I have to be doing something that pushes the GPU a bit to, like watching a video for more then 10 or so minutes. It's nothing I haven't seen on other phones, though the Moto X is a tad warmer.

Of course this is the first non metal or glass phone I've had in almost 2 years and those tend to dissipate heat differently.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Folks, watching videos should not make the device warm much, yet alone hot. You have to get to 4K video before a GPU starts to have video throughput as a resource burden. Not even the overly warm to hot running S3 got very warm with Netflix or Youtube. Unless in a weak signal area using data, but that was the crappy radios causing the heat.

If that stuff gets the device very warm or hot, that would suggest a device issue. Looking forward to testing.

SandmanATHF

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

I just received my phone a couple hours ago. When it was restoring my apps/settings from my OG Moto X, it did get hot. It was downloading a lot, but it was definitely warm. The OG was my first phone and the only I can compare to, but I had never felt it get this hot before.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Posted via the Android Central App

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Havent noticed heating yet. However i just got the phone today

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae