Does the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style have overheating issues?

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: Heating Issues?

I dont think anybody knows what "hot" for a cell phone battery is. I think 20 or 30 degrees over normal operating temp when on the charger is normal and thats all i has seen. I have worked at power houses that have battery banks of 300 plus batteries and their is fed regulations on how hot and cold they can beand you would be surprised how big of swing in temp they can take

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I just can't check my notes very well. Typed "buy" instead of "but".

It will be interesting to see how the batteries hold up with charge next summer. Runs too hot IMO, so not using it much at all.

You mean you are not using the pure much now due to heat? If so that is a bit alarming for any potential buyers like myself!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Believe everything you read HUH?
HEAT is bad for electronics and batteries...period. "They" want the battery to fail, and make it almost impossible to replace it so that you will be forced to buy a new phone! If they made the phone to be easily serviceable, with a replaceable battery, then you might not want to buy a new one....they lose revenue...they go out of business...no more Moto phones.

I would have to say this is a little extreme. Yes the battery isn't super easy to replace like a user replaceable one but you definitely do not have to buy a new phone to get a new battery.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I would have to say this is a little extreme. Yes the battery isn't super easy to replace like a user replaceable one but you definitely do not have to buy a new phone to get a new battery.

Yep, but would suck none the less ;) Instead of buying or swapping a battery and moving on, you would ship your device and hope things works out. Not like the iPhone where you can go to an Apple store to replace the battery either. I'm liking the device, but based on the tear down, Moto could have easily went the replaceable route. No unibody design- the build is a press, glue and screw process for the back housing and actually seems more complex than a simple back cover would have been. Were it not for the tear down video, I would never have expected this. The design had to have cost more, so really perplexed about it. Darn video, since ignorance is bliss :)

It is almost like companies do not want consumers holding on to their devices too long and as an industry, forcing their own overall retirement curve ;)

PDXNW

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does the Moto X Pure Edition have overheating issues?

Those of you saying you aren't experiencing heat issues under normal use, what backs do you have? I'm wondering if the different backs somehow make it heat up more/don't allow it to cool?

Posted via the Android Central App

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I feel like I am having heat issues. It definitely runs hotter than I am used to and heats up pretty quick.

It heats up when web browsing in chrome.

It heats up a lot when using GPS for navigation.

Too early to tell if it will be a major issue. I will say that I never noticed any degradation in performance when I noticed this heat so I think personally it is more of a comfort issue. If I do keep this phone I'll probably get a case to keep my fingers off the back when it heats up.

I have the plastic back BTW.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site

My Moto X gets really warm with normal Web browsing. My wife, who uses a 1st Gen Moto g also felt the same. She felt the same with the Moto g 3rd Gen, which I returned to purchase this one

It also hung while receiving a call and once while playing 2048.

Wonder what's happening!!!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Could we get actual temperatures?

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Got mine to 106°F yesterday. I was at the doctors office, sitting in the waiting room (Fugazi anyone?), and messing around on my phone doing various stuff. That's warm, but not what I would consider hot.

For reference, my phone has an ebony back. Wood is a lousy heat sink.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Just when I thought that I have finally convinced myself the battery life won't be too bad and was ready to order this heat problem arises and it does concern me, my Xperia does heat up a bit when I use it and my G3 did but does the Style heat up more!

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm wondering if I should be concerned. This morning, for example, I did a little internet browsing, configured some settings, backed up some files to google drive and played a few Words With Friends games and in less than an hour it went from in the low 80s to 104.9 degrees. I have seen it go higher and this seems unusually hot to me. I have the black leather back. Should I be worried?

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Just when I thought that I have finally convinced myself the battery life won't be too bad and was ready to order this heat problem arises and it does concern me, my Xperia does heat up a bit when I use it and my G3 did but does the Style heat up more!

What heating problems ? Somebody saying it feels warn really means nothing , what feels warm to me might not to someone else. Until we get battery specs and find out operating temp specs all this really means nothing. Just think about battery temp in the middle of the winter compared to the dogs days of summer that's a big temp swing . These batteries can take alot.

nhuth

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Okay people, we need numbers. What temperatures are you seeing with what usage?

YeahMon360

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Heat and Battery Issues - Possibly Defective Model

I must say, mine has got pretty toasty a few times. I don't even play games on the phone, and it wasn't when it was charging. I was surfing apps. I saw it get up to 116F once.

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Okay people, we need numbers. What temperatures are you seeing with what usage?

I was using Waze GPS and listening to FBHW app while driving this morning. Also had phone plugged into a turbo charger and was using bluetooth headset. As you can see by the attached image, phone got up to 120°. 120°!! Unplugged the turbo charger and kept it unplugged or plugged into regular charger and it started at about 110° - 113° for my entire five hour drive. During this time I had also turned off the FBHW app and only thing I did was run Waze and occasionally check gmail.

Attachments

• 62790.jpg
    62790.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 144

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

The G4 gets hot too. Wonder if the 808 is just a hot chip. Probably so, since a gimped version of the 810.

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site

I am receiving my phone tomorrow and it will be my first Moto X. I have Samsung S5. Honestly no issues with heating, except sometimes when I watch ESPN for an hour or so. GPS I don't have any issue with on S5.

I travel a lot and GPS is used a lot. I hope there are no major heat issues. I will try testing GPS, ESPN, YouTube as soon as I get the phone.

My friend got the phone and is returning it as he's not happy with the heating. But everyone usage is different. I am still being optimistic, waited for almost 3 weeks so why not give this a chance !!