Does the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style have overheating issues?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does the Moto X Pure Edition have overheating issues?

Did previous owners of Nexus 6 with the 805 chip also face heating issues similar to this?

I didn't have a Nexus but any of my phones where I had GPS, Data, etc. going in the car caused it to heat up.

Jul 19, 2015
Visit site

Hi,

Its been 13 hours I had my phone and I am pretty impressed by it. I was very concerned reading about the heating issues. But honestly, I haven't had any. The phone was just "warm" while I was setting it up. Then it was cool. I even played 1 hour of Espn with 80% screen brightness and it was still very cool. Then I played Pandora, while I had the GPS on and also it was charing while I was driving to an event. It was 40 minutes drive and again not even warm. It was till cool and was working perfectly. Did the same on my drive back from home (45 minutes), I had YouTube playing, phone charging and GPS on. Plus all day I had my Moto 360 also connected. I haven't had the time to test the battery so will give it a week before I know how its working. But as for the performance, I am very vey happy. I honestly don't know what's causing the heat issues.

I even played few online videos using Chrome browser, still nothing.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Mine gets warm sometimes but it's pretty random... Not sure when it happens exactly. The screen itself getd warm. The phone rules though, so whatever.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Mine gets warm sometimes but it's pretty random... Not sure when it happens exactly. The screen itself getd warm. The phone rules though, so whatever.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I've noticed that it's random as well. I played Ingress for an hour yesterday . It was 80°F outside. Screen brightness was at about 75%. The screen and GPS were running for that entire hour. Phone never broke 100°F.

The other day, I was browsing the Internet, with the screen brightness at about 10%, and after 10 minutes it was over 100°F.

Dunno. Like I said......random.

Posted via the Android Central App

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Bizarre Heat and Battery Issues - Defective unit?

So I got my moto x about a week and half ago and almost immediately noticed two very concerning things.

First, the battery life was bad. Like, the same if not worse than my S6 (reviled for being fairly crappy on batter life among current smartphones) with the same apps and usage. To paint clearer picture of this: 50/50 wifi vs.cell data, 2 hours screen on time (auto brightness), 2 hours of streaming audio (over wifi mostly), 1 of bluetooth speaker connectivity (my commute), and maybe 20-30 min of video steaming a day was getting me 10-11 hours from full charge to phone dying on empty. I know battery life is a tricky thing to comment on person to person, use case to use case, but I have read many comments and reviews of this phone and none mentioned battery life every approaching that little i was getting.

Far more concerning than the battery was the phone heating up for fairly innocuous tasks. It never got so hot as to be truly uncomfortable, but it would easily get hot enough that you couldn't ignore it in the hand. And again, all this from very basic phone usage. I have one very specific examples of this:

My phone started off at 88 degrees F when i took it out of my pocket (I know this because i was in GSam Battery monitor a lot due to the above mentioned battery issues). I sat down, sent three SMS messages with hangouts, then refreshed and scrolled through Instagram for minute, then on to twitter. I refreshed and was scrolling through twitter for about 5 minutes. I didn't load any videos, or even click any links to open the browser, just passing through tweets. The phone started to get noticeably hot. GSam showed the temp had jumped up to 104 degrees. I locked the phone, put it back in my pocket and a few minutes later i checked and the temp had returned to a more reasonable 91.

Now, I don't pretend to know the totally normal operating temps of cell phones. But a jump of 16 degrees in around 5 minutes just from twitter, instagram, and SMS? That does not seem normal at all. If i had been playing games or pushing hi-res video for a while, fine, i get it, but that isn't this.

Anyway, i'd love some thoughts and perspective on my experiences, especially from those who are more knowledgeable than I (read: most people) on the inner workings of these phone and why i might be seeing what i am from this one.

Thanks in advance.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Bizarre Heat and Battery Issues - Defective unit?

So I got my moto x about a week and half ago and almost immediately noticed two very concerning things.

First, the battery life was bad. Like, the same if not worse than my S6 (reviled for being fairly crappy on batter life among current smartphones) with the same apps and usage. To paint clearer picture of this: 50/50 wifi vs.cell data, 2 hours screen on time (auto brightness), 2 hours of streaming audio (over wifi mostly), 1 of bluetooth speaker connectivity (my commute), and maybe 20-30 min of video steaming a day was getting me 10-11 hours from full charge to phone dying on empty. I know battery life is a tricky thing to comment on person to person, use case to use case, but I have read many comments and reviews of this phone and none mentioned battery life every approaching that little i was getting.

Far more concerning than the battery was the phone heating up for fairly innocuous tasks. It never got so hot as to be truly uncomfortable, but it would easily get hot enough that you couldn't ignore it in the hand. And again, all this from very basic phone usage. I have one very specific examples of this:

My phone started off at 88 degrees F when i took it out of my pocket (I know this because i was in GSam Battery monitor a lot due to the above mentioned battery issues). I sat down, sent three SMS messages with hangouts, then refreshed and scrolled through Instagram for minute, then on to twitter. I refreshed and was scrolling through twitter for about 5 minutes. I didn't load any videos, or even click any links to open the browser, just passing through tweets. The phone started to get noticeably hot. GSam showed the temp had jumped up to 104 degrees. I locked the phone, put it back in my pocket and a few minutes later i checked and the temp had returned to a more reasonable 91.

Now, I don't pretend to know the totally normal operating temps of cell phones. But a jump of 16 degrees in around 5 minutes just from twitter, instagram, and SMS? That does not seem normal at all. If i had been playing games or pushing hi-res video for a while, fine, i get it, but that isn't this.

Anyway, i'd love some thoughts and perspective on my experiences, especially from those who are more knowledgeable than I (read: most people) on the inner workings of these phone and why i might be seeing what i am from this one.

Thanks in advance.

10-11 hours with that kind of use of as good as any phone I've ever had. Curious why you don't charge it on your one hour commute? That would make a world of difference.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Re: Bizarre Heat and Battery Issues - Defective unit?

Really? It's among the worst i've ever gotten. Hell, i was getting better battery time out of my Nexus 5 (with similar usage patterns) way back when. And again, that is not the kind of battery life i've seen described in any of the many review i've read/seen. All those seem to say it can get you through a day with moderate use. 10 hours isn't close to a day. and 2 hours of screen on time is hardly intense usage by normal standards.

And yes, i could charge on the commute. I could also charge, on a normal work day, when i get home. That's kinda not the point. The heat generation and battery life is far below what seems reasonable (and what was predicted by what i've read about the phone from others using it) And, there are many days where I am out in the city etc. where i may have to go more than 10 hours without a charger. I could be crazy, but i don't think it's unreasonable to want a phone that can survive such conditions. Especially considering the S6 i just came from could (barely) and it's biggest critically mentioned downside was bad battery life.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

I guess you have three options. You can live it the way it is which is not acceptable. You can exchange it for another one that hopefully won't have these problems. Or you can return it and simply get a different phone. My phone and many other people's phones don't have these problems fwiw, but others do.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Does the Moto X Pure Edition have overheating issues?

I had the heat issue this evening. I have a lot (almost all) of the tables with Pinball Arcade and Zen Pinball. I was downloading them all and playing some of them- they are GPU heavy apps. The sustained combination got my device over 107 degrees. It also drained the battery much more quickly. My guess is the combo of LTE downloading over 20 minutes and the gpu running with the games did it. Makes no sense this device runs hotter than my Note 5 and the higher nM 805. It also got hot playing Blitz Brigade.

I am going to try some more games and see what happens. Ironic to have all the storage on the 64gb and not be practical to play the games much due to battery life drain and heat.

CPU heavy apps like game emulators barely get the device warm. The heat appears data radio and gpu related. Both MAME and PSP apps use the gpu, but 90% of resources are using the CPU. One of the reasons those apps need fast CPUs to run heavier games smooth.

I probably jinxed things when I said the device rocks ;)

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Got mine to 106°F yesterday. I was at the doctors office, sitting in the waiting room (Fugazi anyone?), and messing around on my phone doing various stuff. That's warm, but not what I would consider hot.

For reference, my phone has an ebony back. Wood is a lousy heat sink.

The argument? Great album.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

I have a walnut back and haven't experienced any heat issues. Coming from a G4, which got so hot i thought the back cover was going to melt off, this thing is ice cold.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

The argument? Great album.

I have every CD Fugazi made. No bad or mediocre releases from them.

As far as the Pure, it seems if you are a light to medium user, the heat issues do not tend to flare up. Heavy users that play 3D games on their device (or other GPU heavy apps) though will be getting some heat- especially if using LTE data at same time.

I do not experience the heat with web, streaming video with Youtube or anything other, nor do I with heavy CPU apps like game emulators. I do with games that are GPU heavy and ESPECIALLY with LTE downloading at same time. Seems best advice is if gaming, do NOT download stuff over LTE at same time ;)

Last edited:

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Moto X running a little warm

So I noticed that when watching a ten minute YouTube video over wifi my phone got a little warm on the back.. By no means was it hot or even really "toasty", just a little warm... Is this normal or should I be alarmed and send it back for a replacement?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X running a little warm

That's pretty common with most devices. Was the video playing in HD?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Normal :) I barely notice any warmth while streaming Youtube with LTE. 3D gaming though while downloading with LTE seems to unleash the Kraken.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Normal :) I barely notice any warmth while streaming Youtube with LTE. 3D gaming though while downloading with LTE seems to unleash the Kraken.

Mine is sort of like this. It warms into the 95 degree range when I am streaming Twitch (brightness at 90+ percent) over LTE. I don't have the best signal at work (not there today) but it's usually around - 100 to - 105 dBm at my desk. With that said though I don't find that out of the norm.

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I have started the process of returning or exchanging my phone. Right now the phone is at 106 degrees and I have been doing nothing except checking e-mail for 30 seconds and I rebooted it a couple times to wipe the external cache which was done at the advice of Motorola customer support. 106 degrees when I am doing next to nothing is unacceptable in my opinion. As noted in a prior post I have already hit 120 degrees at one point. AM I crazy to think this is a problem? What are the rest of you doing that feel this is a problem?

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

I have started the process of returning or exchanging my phone. Right now the phone is at 106 degrees and I have been doing nothing except checking e-mail for 30 seconds and I rebooted it a couple times to wipe the external cache which was done at the advice of Motorola customer support. 106 degrees when I am doing next to nothing is unacceptable in my opinion. As noted in a prior post I have already hit 120 degrees at one point. AM I crazy to think this is a problem? What are the rest of you doing that feel this is a problem?

I dont think your unreasonable. I would do the same. My pure edition 2015 has been cool except today when i ran waze and turbo charging while driving for 30+ minutes.