Does the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style have overheating issues?

maestreaux

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Does the Moto X Pure Edition have overheating issues?

Just got off a chat with Motorola. The rep said the highest temperature the phone should be is 104 Fahrenheit or 40 Celsius. Mine was at 108 yesterday. I've only had the phone a week so I'm going to monitor it a few more weeks and see if the temps level off. If not then it's going back.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Just got off a chat with Motorola. The rep said the highest temperature the phone should be is 104 Fahrenheit or 40 Celsius. Mine was at 108 yesterday. I've only had the phone a week so I'm going to monitor it a few more weeks and see if the temps level off. If not then it's going back.

I highly suspect that that temperature is not what the upper limit is actually. If 104 was designed to be the upper limit, the phone would be shutting down.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I highly suspect that that temperature is not what the upper limit is actually. If 104 was designed to be the upper limit, the phone would be shutting down.

Yep. The rep seems technically ignorant to modern devices. All newer devices can get up to 110 degrees or even higher with higher res 3D gaming as example. Especially if using a case. The Pure got 120 degrees with 1440p VR, but was in the Freefly VR headset that is an enclosed design (back has no air space).

I wonder though if the MXPE has a shutdown warning, since have yet to see anybody report it, but concur the device can get real toasty under certain conditions. The Note 4 comes up with a warning as example. Usually when using VR content with (Gear VR in this case).

When a small device like a phone's GPU has to push true 1440p (VR content always pushes the native resolution of device) there is nowhere for the heat to go besides the frame. If the apps you use do not push 1440p, there should be no potential heat issues. By "push" I mean the GPU is calculating math to the 1440p. Video media is not an issue, unless of course watching with a VR app on a headset.

The issues noted in this thread though are no different than the G4. Same chipset. The 810 actually gets hotter. Yikes.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

Yup. A phone will start to aggressively throttle and then outright shutdown long before it's hits its thermal threshold. You'll also get a bucket load of warning messages before it does so.

maestreaux

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site

Found this info on the Motorola website:

"Some facts on battery temperature

* Devices need their space; There are no on-board fans, cooling relies solely on the device being able to dissipate heat through the air. To help cooling, ensure the device is not in a pocket, purse, carrying case, or direct sunlight.

* Normal temperature is (97f) ~36c

* A user will begin to sense a “warm” device at 106f (~41c) and it will seem hot at 109f (~43c)

* Cool Down Mode kicks in at 152f (67c)

* Batteries with temps => 113f to 140f (45c to 60c) will not charge to 100% capacity

* Battery temps >140f (60c)will not charge at all."

Mine got to 112f when charging this morning. I guess that's normal but it was very warm!

Ichigo91

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site

The thing is, you will hear from EVERY phone company people that have heat issues and some who don't at all... let's just admit it, there are too many defects out there, or they just don't know how to make phones...

Anton Watts

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
Re: Hot hot phone

134 degrees this is just way to hot just surfing the Web. On lte using att service love the phone but think the heat is going to kill the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Found this info on the Motorola website:

"Some facts on battery temperature

* Devices need their space; There are no on-board fans, cooling relies solely on the device being able to dissipate heat through the air. To help cooling, ensure the device is not in a pocket, purse, carrying case, or direct sunlight.

* Normal temperature is (97f) ~36c

* A user will begin to sense a “warm” device at 106f (~41c) and it will seem hot at 109f (~43c)

* Cool Down Mode kicks in at 152f (67c)

* Batteries with temps => 113f to 140f (45c to 60c) will not charge to 100% capacity

* Battery temps >140f (60c)will not charge at all."

Mine got to 112f when charging this morning. I guess that's normal but it was very warm!

Link?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

The thing is, you will hear from EVERY phone company people that have heat issues and some who don't at all... let's just admit it, there are too many defects out there, or they just don't know how to make phones...

As well as actual app usage, charging, display brightness, case on device, perception, material design (some hide the heat), signal and ambient temperature.

anon(9622135)

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site

Mine was overheating, reaching 110° just using chrome (even after a week). Tried clearing cache in recovery and so far so good. Now the phone barely heats up unless playing a game. Worth a shot!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Mine was overheating, reaching 110° just using chrome (even after a week). Tried clearing cache in recovery and so far so good. Now the phone barely heats up unless playing a game. Worth a shot!
For whatever reason, Chrome and the Firefox beta both run real warm. I mainly use Dolphin or Xscope .

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

In the few days I've had mine, it runs slightly warm to the touch under strong use. Not quite truly heavy use. Certainly cooler so far than my Samsung phones have run. The 808 behaves better than the 810 that often throttles down to worse performance than 808. Moto made the right choice in the current market by going with the 808.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Hottest I've been so far was 112F, and that was playing Ingress, with a case on the phone, while charging, in direct sunlight, on an 75 degree day. That's hot, but not hot enough for me to be concerned about, especially given the circumstances.

parthbhatt

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site

I received my Moto X Style 64 GB in mid Sep. The CPU temperature rose to 42° C during some file copy and move operation.
Later when I played games shadow fight 2 and Dead Trigger, phone CPU temperature reached 44° C - 111° F.
I contacted Motorola customer care to inquire if this is a known issue. They said, I was one of the first user to report this problem and offered to replace the device. I returned the old one and received a replacement device on Friday last week. I was hoping to have a solution to the heating issue with the new device.
I tried to play the graphics heavy game Modern Combat 5 for 15 minutes and the CPU temperature again reached 44° C - 111° F and the phone feels really hot in hands.
I am measuring CPU temperature with Cooler Master App.
Normal CPU temperature varies between 27° C- 35° C.
I am not sure how much CPU temperature is normal for a phone. Reading the posts here, I feel this is a general issue with the phone. I am really unsure to keep the phone (as I love the phone in general without the overheating issue) or return it and try S6 instead.
I have a 64 GB version with wallnut finish. Is the overheating problem specific to Moto X Style / Pure with these specs or it is a general issue ?
I will then return this one as well and try a 32 GB version with leather / silicon back.

Thanks a lot !!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma