Does the Moto X Pure Edition/Moto X Style have overheating issues?

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: This phone is hot (literally)

Have not had heat problems with mine and I've had it a little over 2 weeks. Didn't even get more than barely warm when I transferred everything over from my Turbo and I remember the Turbo getting very hot when I first set it up, and also while charging.
My Pure gets warm while charging, but not hot like my Turbo did. I haven't tried navigation with it yet, but I expect it will get hot then. I've never had a phone that didn't get hot while navigating.
I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised so far that this phone has been so much smoother than my Turbo, which technically was a more "spec loaded" phone. Hope it continues!

Posted via the Android Central App

Hendry775

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site

Install GSam Battery Monitor to measure what temperature does it exactly go to. Mine hovers around 85 to 91 F during moderate usage but goes up to 109 F when gaming.

parthbhatt

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
No overheat issues on mine either.

It depends on what do you consider as overheating. Have you tried playing a game for 20 minutes? Mine reaches 46°c with similar amount of game play or navigating while charging.

I ordered my moto x style around a month back and noticed overheating. So I returned it. I got a replacement device which has similar behaviour. So I guess this is an issue with all spec heavy phones. If you let it rest while being charged(it charges pretty quickly anyway) or not a heavy game player, i guess you will not notice the overheating.
If you want to monitor the temperature and battery usage, use gsam battery monitor app.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Okay, dang it....I go and brag that I haven't had any overheating issues and then it happens today!

I like to read articles suggested by Google (you know, when you hit the home button and slide up or go through the "G" icon) and I linked to one today from Forbes magazine. As I was reading there was a sudden pop-up that said as the first owner of a Moto X Pure Edition to visit their site today I had won a prize. It had several items listed (iPad mini, etc.) and told me to pick one. Being the skeptic I am I immediately "Xed" out and when I did another pop-up came up that said "are you sure you want to leave this page?" I hit "yes" and clicked the box that said stop asking this and got out of it.

Well after that my phone was hot! My mind raced about what would cause that from this spam. I cleared out the link from my recent apps/pages and then cleared cache. Then I rebooted my phone. It's been fine since, but man that was unsettling. I don't think I'll be clicking any links to Forbes again!

Anybody else had something similar happen?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

It depends on what do you consider as overheating. Have you tried playing a game for 20 minutes? Mine reaches 46°c with similar amount of game play or navigating while charging.

I ordered my moto x style around a month back and noticed overheating. So I returned it. I got a replacement device which has similar behaviour. So I guess this is an issue with all spec heavy phones. If you let it rest while being charged(it charges pretty quickly anyway) or not a heavy game player, i guess you will not notice the overheating.
If you want to monitor the temperature and battery usage, use gsam battery monitor app.

I charge my phone and use navigation everyday on my way home from work. Not because I don't know the way. I have at least an hr drive home from Detroit everyday with various accidents along the way. Maps helps me avoid them.

Never does my phone feel warm to the touch.

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

pop-up that said as the first owner of a Moto X Pure Edition to visit their site today I had won a prize. It had several items listed (iPad mini, etc.) and told me to pick one.

If you would have picked one of the prizes it probably would have been awarded by a Nigerian prince. You missed your opportunity to hob-nob with royalty. Maybe next time. :D

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

If you would have picked one of the prizes it probably would have been awarded by a Nigerian prince. You missed your opportunity to hob-nob with royalty. Maybe next time. :D

And going by the temperature of my phone, that prince must have been hot! Lol!

thymeless

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site

My MPE idles a little warmer than my Note 3 did, but the Note got much hotter in use. Charging the MXPE seems to be a cooler experience than my Note 3 as well. Charging temps run around 105 on the battery, cooler on the exterior surfaces of the MPE. The Note often approached 120 on charge.

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
2542052088ed4305976268b85b74ed75.jpg

115+° normal and acceptable? it's pretty hot to hold.

parthbhatt

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Is there any side effect due to this regular overheating?
Mine reaches 43-45 C every time I use it while being charged or play games for around 15-20 minutes and it happens at least once a day

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine never gets "hot" but I do not use the rapid charger nor do I play games. Using it for everything else including navigation GPS and still just gets a little warm...just like all my other phones did.

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I had never encountered problems with my phone getting hot until yesterday. I was at a luncheon and had used my phone and after use I placed it in the pocket of my purse. After I got home and I pulled it out the phone was still on and very hot. For some reason it never shut off when I quit using it. I had turned it off prior to placing in my purse but it either turned back on or never shut off. Once I shut it down it promptly cooled off and I have had no problems with it since then.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Nancy, that may have been what is called a 'phantom re-boot'...sometimes these mini-computers of ours just decide to shut down and re-start themselves. You did the right thing to manually do a re-boot (or maybe you just turned the screen off? Either way, your'e probably ok.

I've watched this thread since the original post (way before getting 2 Pures for us) and get more info from the posts that include actual temperatures (thanx to all!) but don't recall noticing anyone say that they *know* that the auto temp protection designed into the device(s) actually shut the phone down for excess temp. I've trusted Moto through approx two dozen devices going back to 3 of the OG Droids and sometimes they've warmed up but never shut down.

Beueller? Anyone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech