Using the Moto X Pure Edition on Sprint?

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Anybody having issues getting this phone working on Sprint?

Asking because Sprint has a history of only activating white listed phones. While motorola says the pure is compatible, I've seen no corresponding announcement from Sprint saying they've ceased whitelisting or have added all Pure IMEIs to their database.

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sprint?

There is a Sprint tech over on XDA that said that he activated his without an issue and it's working fine. Gives me hope, haha.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Do I just take the SIM from my HTC M8 and put it into the X and go? Or do I need to contact Sprint? The M8 is the first Sprint phone I've had with a SIM.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Do I just take the SIM from my HTC M8 and put it into the X and go? Or do I need to contact Sprint? The M8 is the first Sprint phone I've had with a SIM.

I had a Moto X and a Nexus 5 when I was on sprint. I found the easiest way to switch devices was to use Sprint's website. They each had different sim cards of different sizes so I never tried that method. Historically Sprint has needed the IMEI of the device you want to use to activate the CDMA side of the radio (LTE shouldn't matter), and Sprint would only activate the device if it was already in it's white-list database.

Nexus 5 owners had a problem in that at first only Sprint sold devices were in Sprint's database and devices bought from google could not be activated on Sprint. This was rectified and sprint uploaded all google play purchased IMEIs. However, I still believe that T-mobile purchased Nexus 5s are not in Sprint's database and you'll have trouble getting it activated with sprint.

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Using the Moto X Pure Edition on Sprint

If anyone with Sprint gets their's first, let me know how it goes.

I am going to have to put the new nano Sim I got from Sprint into mine and then activate it online. Unfortunately my Nexus 5 has a micro Sim and I didn't want to cut it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

conversation I just had with a chat representative

"Stephen R: Let me check
Stephen R: Does that phone shows Sprint logo when you turn it on?
You: no it is an unlocked phone so it has to be added to the system/network
Stephen R: I understand that
Stephen R: We have to raise a click IT ticket for that and it takes 24 to 48 hours to get it resolved
Stephen R: After that you can also activate it online
You: ok that sounds fine
Stephen R: Great!
Stephen R: So now we will add all the information"

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

conversation I just had with a chat representative

"Stephen R: Let me check
Stephen R: Does that phone shows Sprint logo when you turn it on?
You: no it is an unlocked phone so it has to be added to the system/network
Stephen R: I understand that
Stephen R: We have to raise a click IT ticket for that and it takes 24 to 48 hours to get it resolved
Stephen R: After that you can also activate it online
You: ok that sounds fine
Stephen R: Great!
Stephen R: So now we will add all the information"

I figured this would be an issue. Let us know if they get back to you.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site

Sprint has tutorials for the Moto X Pure Edition on their website. Here is one for activating.

Activate your device

My phone hasn't arrived yet so I can't say if it helps or not.

Looks like that info requires that the phone came with the correct SIM. Just had a chat with an online agent at sprint.

Kim S.: Hello Nicholas, congratulations on the new phone. You will need a Sprint sim that is compatible with the Motorola Pure. When you ordered the phone from Motorola, there should have been an option to select carrier so they will send a compatible sim with the phone.
You: It is an unlocked phone. They never asked for the carrier.
Kim S.: yes it is unlocked, but on motorola.com there is an option to choose carrier during purchase and the phone will be sent with correct sim
Kim S.: Your M8 sim will not be compatible
You: People are not getting SIMs with this phone.
You: I just went through the order page again and it did not ask for a carrier.
Kim S.: I am sorry to hear that, the information we received from Motorola stated there would be the option. So once you receive the device you may get a compatible Sprint sim in a Sprint store.

youngusaplaya

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Looks like that info requires that the phone came with the correct SIM. Just had a chat with an online agent at sprint.

Kim S.: Hello Nicholas, congratulations on the new phone. You will need a Sprint sim that is compatible with the Motorola Pure. When you ordered the phone from Motorola, there should have been an option to select carrier so they will send a compatible sim with the phone.
You: It is an unlocked phone. They never asked for the carrier.
Kim S.: yes it is unlocked, but on motorola.com there is an option to choose carrier during purchase and the phone will be sent with correct sim
Kim S.: Your M8 sim will not be compatible
You: People are not getting SIMs with this phone.
You: I just went through the order page again and it did not ask for a carrier.
Kim S.: I am sorry to hear that, the information we received from Motorola stated there would be the option. So once you receive the device you may get a compatible Sprint sim in a Sprint store.

so i just purchased a SIM card for sprint from Best Buy and activated my phone online by entering the IMEI minus the last number and everything went through perfectly....rejoice please spread the word as dealing with sprint directly was a headache and a nightmare

chapy008

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

After Sprint sent me the wrong SIM and then told me they didn't have a SIM that they could send me, I did some investigating on other forums and it turns out you can go to a Best Buy Mobile store and ask for the following SIM:

Part: SIMGLW446C
SKU: CZ2144LWC
UPC: 019962040146

It costs $10 but it works. Also, they can call Sprint and get the IMEI uploaded into the system. 15 minutes after I walked into the store I had a MXPE that worked on Sprint. Also, some people have had success at getting Sprint to eat the cost the SIM card.

Turns out Sprint's customer service is a lot better with Best Buy Mobile employees then with it's own customers.

J_Jameson

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

They have a specific nano sim for it, sku: 019962040146. Go to a store, if they have stock, they will give you one, if not, they can ship one out to you as can customer care. Once you have the SIM/ICCID, you can activate the phone online, in store, or over the phone. Just put the MEID HEX of the phone into your account along with that sim and it activates without issues.

Reposting this here for people. No point in going to Best Buy and spending $10. Sprint provides SIM cards free of charge to anyone with an active account. It's not a matter of getting Sprint to "eat the charge" as there is no charge to begin with.

J_Jameson

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

After Sprint sent me the wrong SIM and then told me they didn't have a SIM that they could send me, I did some investigating on other forums and it turns out you can go to a Best Buy Mobile store and ask for the following SIM:

Part: SIMGLW446C
SKU: CZ2144LWC
UPC: 019962040146

It costs $10 but it works. Also, they can call Sprint and get the IMEI uploaded into the system. 15 minutes after I walked into the store I had a MXPE that worked on Sprint. Also, some people have had success at getting Sprint to eat the cost the SIM card.

Turns out Sprint's customer service is a lot better with Best Buy Mobile employees then with it's own customers.

Literally all Sprint store's as well as their Customer Care have access to ordering these SIM cards. You may have to provide them the UPC/SKU to ring it out in store or so they can ship it to you. Not all Sprint stores have employees as experienced or knowledgeable as the one I go to. Sometimes you have to politely nudge them in the right direction.

Jeparisoe

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Well, I called sprint right after I bought the phone and had them send me the correct Sim card for the phone. Today I received the phone and the Sim card is incompatible... Why do carriers have so many idiots working for them?

J_Jameson

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I called sprint right after I bought the phone and had them send me the correct Sim card for the phone. Today I received the phone and the Sim card is incompatible... Why do carriers have so many idiots working for them?

You say that like the world isn't just filled with idiots. In my experience, people are stupid, myself included. There are only ever a few who stand out in any company as more thoughtful, knowledgeable, or intelligent(although they are rarely recognized for it). It doesn't help that carriers in general provide very little information to their employees and even then it's ambiguous at best. It's a business model that utilizes a lack of clarity as a sales tactic. If carriers were actually clear with their employees or with customers, they couldn't succeed with all of their horrible, manipulative, and greedy practices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12