Which phone are you guys coming from?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Here is battery comparison when watching youtube only. I just compare all kind of phones and moto x pure isn't good with battery. I hope they improve.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Likewise and my Moto X is pretty good on battery. It isn't top like my Notes in the past but it really isn't bad either compared to my G4 / S6.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Likewise and my Moto X is pretty good on battery. It isn't top like my Notes in the past but it really isn't bad either compared to my G4 / S6.
Yes, let us hope that moto x pure fully optimized. I am getting my 2nd moto x pure tomorrow and I will compare with my first mxp. Hoping to get perfect moto x pure. Most of my android have exact same app and settings. Finger crossed*

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Going from the Note 4 to the Moto X Pure.... and I can't wait!!!!

Hello, noticed you mentioned you're upgrading from a Note 4. I have a Note 3 (acquired 5/14 so not quite there yet for upgrade; don't want to payoff Verizon Edge yet). If you have your Moto X Pure by now, how do you like it compared to the Note 4? How is the screen in particular? Feel free to add anything else you like/dislike compared to the Note.

Thanks for your reply!

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Here is battery comparison when watching youtube only. I just compare all kind of phones and moto x pure isn't good with battery. I hope they improve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Pa49TzNQs

Thanks, good to know.

I bet the reason why the Moto x pure edition doesn't beat the s6 in YouTube playback is because the 2 front facing speakers and their energy requirements. The s6 just has 1 small speaker.

Posted via the Android Central App

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, good to know.

I bet the reason why the Moto x pure edition doesn't beat the s6 in YouTube playback is because the 2 front facing speakers and their energy requirements. The s6 just has 1 small speaker.

Never thought about that. Speaker can drain the battery that much?

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

I can't imagine it being worse than the s6. It's really bad.

That being said, it's never been an issue with me because of quick charge 2.0. Quick charge is awesome. I've got 2.0 at home, in my car, and an a backup charger. Never a juice issue!

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I can't imagine it being worse than the s6. It's really bad.

That being said, it's never been an issue with me because of quick charge 2.0. Quick charge is awesome. I've got 2.0 at home, in my car, and an a backup charger. Never a juice issue!

I also have charger around me so it's no problem. I can quickly charge like 20 mins and I good for rest of the day. Moto x pure is solid overall.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5. I busted the screen about 2 months ago and it was killing me to keep using it with the cracked screen. I knew for a while that I wanted to give larger phones a try and the moto x seemed like the most risk free way to test if I like phablets. So far I love them (and I have tiny hands!)

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hello, noticed you mentioned you're upgrading from a Note 4. I have a Note 3 (acquired 5/14 so not quite there yet for upgrade; don't want to payoff Verizon Edge yet). If you have your Moto X Pure by now, how do you like it compared to the Note 4? How is the screen in particular? Feel free to add anything else you like/dislike compared to the Note.

Thanks for your reply!

Lefty Drummer,

I've had the Moto X Pure for about a week now and I'm really enjoying it. The screen is not quite as good imo as the Note 4, but I don't think it's so noticeable that it's going to be distracting or ruin my experience with the Pure. The Pure is running so much smoother than my Note did. Granted, the phone is new, but it's a lot more "light weight" as far as the software goes. Once the Note received the Lollipop update it really started to stutter and hang up a lot... and I kept everything fairly minimal. I closed apps all the time, cached data, kept a simple home screen and didn't download a ton of apps and it still had the so called "jank". This is my first phone with a stock Android operating system and I'm really enjoying that!!! Simple and to the point. One thing that I've noticed about the Moto however is that when I plug in headphones or earbuds is that the overall volume doesn't seem to be as loud as the Note. It's louder without them plugged in with the front facing speakers obviously, but it's a tad muted when plugged in. Who knows? The camera on the Note may be a touch better, but again, not so much that I think it's going to make me regret my dicision. So far the battery on the Motorola is better than on my Note 4 too. For some reason my Note 4 NEVER had the greatest battery life. I don't know if it was my coverage or what (on ATT). With the Motorola being new I'm sure its running it's best, so we'll see after about 6 months. Hope this helped.

Scott

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Lefty Drummer,

I've had the Moto X Pure for about a week now and I'm really enjoying it. The screen is not quite as good imo as the Note 4, but I don't think it's so noticeable that it's going to be distracting or ruin my experience with the Pure. The Pure is running so much smoother than my Note did. Granted, the phone is new, but it's a lot more "light weight" as far as the software goes. Once the Note received the Lollipop update it really started to stutter and hang up a lot... and I kept everything fairly minimal. I closed apps all the time, cached data, kept a simple home screen and didn't download a ton of apps and it still had the so called "jank". This is my first phone with a stock Android operating system and I'm really enjoying that!!! Simple and to the point. One thing that I've noticed about the Moto however is that when I plug in headphones or earbuds is that the overall volume doesn't seem to be as loud as the Note. It's louder without them plugged in with the front facing speakers obviously, but it's a tad muted when plugged in. Who knows? The camera on the Note may be a touch better, but again, not so much that I think it's going to make me regret my dicision. So far the battery on the Motorola is better than on my Note 4 too. For some reason my Note 4 NEVER had the greatest battery life. I don't know if it was my coverage or what (on ATT). With the Motorola being new I'm sure its running it's best, so we'll see after about 6 months. Hope this helped.

Scott

Opposite for me with the Note 4 and correlates to reviews by Anantech and GSMarena (great Note 4 battery life).

I find for my medium to heavy use the Note 4 is significantly better in regards to battery life and heat issues than the Pure. 3D games and HD video runs ten degrees warmer and screen on time is three hours less on average with the Pure. No rational comparison. The heat and sharp battery decline with GPU heavy apps seems unusual with the Pure and Moto needs to manage the governor settings better with the GPU (if they can).

If I just used Dolphin and Firefox, streamed video (not HD), or used lighter GPU apps, the battery life was decent and heat relativity normal with the Pure. Ditto for game emulators since they are very light on the GPU and very heavy with the CPU. After ten days now with the Pure, it seems the Pure is a great device for light to medium users that do not use many apps GPU heavy. The GPU seems the problem on this device.

Per Best Buy, they are getting returns due to the battery and related heat issues. I do not think it as much a product defect as it is the 808's gpu is having a hard time with 1440p and needs to be throttled. That might be the catch- if Moto throttles, the GPU might have a harder time with 1440p. This seems not a lot different than the G4 issues.

Like the G4, most people are light to medium users, so usually no harm no foul for them :)

bh7171

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I also have charger around me so it's no problem. I can quickly charge like 20 mins and I good for rest of the day. Moto x pure is solid overall.

How is it in comparison to your Passport? (from a fellow Passport user)

Posted via Android Central App

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Opposite for me with the Note 4 and correlates to reviews by Anantech and GSMarena (great Note 4 battery life).

I find for my medium to heavy use the Note 4 is significantly better in regards to battery life and heat issues than the Pure. 3D games and HD video runs ten degrees warmer and screen on time is three hours less on average with the Pure. No rational comparison. The heat and sharp battery decline with GPU heavy apps seems unusual with the Pure and Moto needs to manage the governor settings better with the GPU (if they can).

If I just used Dolphin and Firefox, streamed video (not HD), or used lighter GPU apps, the battery life was decent and heat relativity normal with the Pure. Ditto for game emulators since they are very light on the GPU and very heavy with the CPU. After ten days now with the Pure, it seems the Pure is a great device for light to medium users that do not use many apps GPU heavy. The GPU seems the problem on this device.

Per Best Buy, they are getting returns due to the battery and related heat issues. I do not think it as much a product defect as it is the 808's gpu is having a hard time with 1440p and needs to be throttled. That might be the catch- if Moto throttles, the GPU might have a harder time with 1440p. This seems not a lot different than the G4 issues.

Like the G4, most people are light to medium users, so usually no harm no foul for them :)

I can totally get on board with all of your points there. Myself, I'm not a heavy gamer nor due I use a ton of apps. I would consider myself a light to medium user as you mentioned. We'll just see how it holds up over time I guess. I'm really enjoying the phone so far and I'd really hate to have to return it. To your point though.... it does get a little warm!!!

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
How is it in comparison to your Passport? (from a fellow Passport user)

Posted via Android Central App
It's hard to compare to passport. They're completely different system.

Battery: Passport battery life is way better than moto x pure. If MXP battery dies, passport will still have 35% or more battery life leftover.

Screen: They're both very solid but moto x pure seems to have more vibrant colors.

Speaker: They are great speakers. Passport has stereo speakers on the bottom and moto x had speaker on the top/bottom.

OS: I personally love bb10 more than android OS but they lack of app support and Google support.

If bb10 had full app support with google, I probably won't be buying android. If you don't care about app or Google support, passport is much better IMO.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

jackwagon06

May 15, 2012
Visit site
G4, back to Note 3 whilst I wait. "Should" be here tomorrow.

Had my N3 rooted/rommed. Borked it so bad had to ODIN back to stock LP update....oh my does stock suck....

jern820

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from a Droid Maxx. So you can imagine that one of the interesting things I find is about the comments about poor battery life with the MXPE. What's interesting with mine is I actually get better battery life with my MXPE than I ever did with my Droid Maxx. With all of the negative comments about battery life, maybe I got a 'Play' battery in mine? J/K. Seriously though. I pull my phone off of the charger at 7:30 AM and dont plug it back in until 12:30-1:00 AM and it's at 45% on moderate usage. I just use a regular charger and have saved the 'turbo charger' for road trips, etc. Guess I count myself lucky.

Lefty Drummer

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Lefty Drummer,

Scott

Hey Scott,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. The screen is a small concern but honestly here in 2015 a QHD screen I would think looks good almost no matter the type (all those that want to argue this point please save it). I was looking for someone coming from either the same phone as me (Note 3) or similar. I too am not a gamer nor heavy multimedia user, I just want the phone to "work" and be studder and as lag free as possible. I also have not had a vanilla Android phone, so this does intrigue me, as does the "almost as fast as Nexus" updates, especially with Marshmallow coming. I have pretty much made up my mind to get a Pure, now to scrounge up the extra scratch for it!
Again Thank You Scott, much appreciated.

Cheers!

Lefty

Scott Shrewsberry

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Hey Scott,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. The screen is a small concern but honestly here in 2015 a QHD screen I would think looks good almost no matter the type (all those that want to argue this point please save it). I was looking for someone coming from either the same phone as me (Note 3) or similar. I too am not a gamer nor heavy multimedia user, I just want the phone to "work" and be studder and as lag free as possible. I also have not had a vanilla Android phone, so this does intrigue me, as does the "almost as fast as Nexus" updates, especially with Marshmallow coming. I have pretty much made up my mind to get a Pure, now to scrounge up the extra scratch for it!
Again Thank You Scott, much appreciated.

Cheers!

Lefty

Not a problem at all. I'm glad my little bit of info helped. Let me know how it goes once you get it.

Cheers.

john morris1

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from the OnePlus One. I also have the OnePlus 2. The X is my daily, the 2 is my back up. Moto assist is something that I must have now!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12