Motorola sales told me that we will only get OS updates for one year

Status
Not open for further replies.

android4ever1

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Chatted and spoke on phone with Motorola today. I explained that Google will update the nexus phones for 2 years. I asked how long will Motorola update the OS on the moto X pure 2015; they told me that only one year. This was told to me twice, by 2 different people from Motorola sales. If this is true. This is not the same Motorola we used to know, I guess that I'll have to buy the nexus 2015. I hope this info is wrong. Let me know, thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: OS updates only for one year.

Chatted and spoke on phone with Motorola today. I explained that Google will update the nexus phones for 2 years. I asked how long will Motorola update the OS on the moto X pure 2015; they told me that only one year. This was told to me twice, by 2 different people from Motorola sales. If this is true. This is not the same Motorola we used to know, I guess that I'll have to buy the nexus 2015. I hope this info is wrong. Let me know, thanks.

From my chats with Moto support about a few different things I'm pretty sure they don't know much about anything. I'd take that with a huge grain of salt.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: OS updates only for one year.

While I understand how, if true, this might concern some, it doesn't worry me too much. If we get one year of updates that may very well mean Marshmallow *and* Nougat (or whatever the next iteration will be called). Even if it was only Marshmallow, in September of next year we'll likely still have a newer OS than 75% of every other Android phone out there due to fragmentation issues. As long as serious security patch updates are pushed out I'm happy. Just my 0.02.

Posted via my Ascend Mate 7 or my "soon to be" Moto X Pure

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: OS updates only for one year?

In my experience CSRs don't tend to know much about future plans so I would be dubious of the source. However, if it IS true, I would think it likely they are only willing to guarantee upgrades for one year. That wouldn't necessarily mean there won't be upgrades beyond one year.

Rickosw

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but there was an article very recently that the First Generation of Moto X is still getting updates ya?

Coming from Nexus 7 (II), officially Google can totally ignore me post the 'two yr' service promise. But I still get updates just two-three was back. I'm pretty confident that I am getting Android 6.0 on my N7(II)

As for Moto.

Rickosw

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site

As for Moto. From their track record of updates even for their most budget Moto E to lollipop. I am 99% sure that for their Flagship Moto X style. We can get to see it getting support post two yrs.

Realistically SD 808 with 3G RAM is not fastest kid in the block. It is not a weak animal either. Specs wise should be future proof for min 2 yrs if you are not a hardcore power user.

Also. If you compare with other OEM eg LG. Do you think LG G2 will get lollipop? (state side or International)

Compare to Moto?

I will put my money on Moto.....

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The prepaid Moto E for Verizon is getting updated. Even under Lenovo, I am not worried about Motorola keeping their products up to date.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No offense but I don't understand why people bother calling the sales rep and get info. They probably have less info than us.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
No offense but I don't understand why people bother calling the sales rep and get info. They probably have less info than us.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Clearly. Sales reps can only provide the replies they are directed to provide.

The prepaid Moto E for Verizon is getting updated. Even under Lenovo, I am not worried about Motorola keeping their products up to date.

Agreed. Motorola has a very good reputation. Until I see opposing concrete evidence, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

Also. If you compare with other OEM eg LG. Do you think LG G2 will get lollipop? (state side or International)

Compare to Moto?

I will put my money on Moto.....

Yes, LG did update the LG G2 to Lollipop. (Son uses one on Verizon)

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
How is hard to believe the statements from the CSR's? It's obviously a liability issue. The company will promise updates for only up to 1 year in the case the company decides to STOP supporting it. Of course, as history of the last few handsets have shown, they've gone beyond that 1 year.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This. I'm not worried about it. Chat reps don't always know what they're saying.. Some just say what they think so they can answer the customers question.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
There's also the risk of going too fast. Motorola got burned on Lollipop 5.0.

Heck, at times the Nexus and Google Play edition devices don't get the updates at the same time.

iAmEFFeX

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site

I was going to post this too, just read a few articles about it.

I think it's way too early to tell what will or won't happen with Moto XPE, it just came out. Besides, most agents in customer service wouldn't have information like this readily available. I'd assume that they are just provided with general information / talking points.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

no way some CSR making $9 an hour has access to that information. most of those people are clueless. sounds like this one wanted to sound important, like he or she has some inside information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae