What micro SD card are you using with your Moto X Pure Edition?

J_Jameson

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Just to be clear(for my FYI) , i thought the max size SD card for the Moto Pure is 128GB. I know you can put any size in but it will only read 128GB ?

SDXC is SDXC. If it works with a 64GB SDXC, it'll work with any size of SDXC. The same applies to SDHC and SD. The important aspect is rather the phone supports exFAT and/or FAT32. Formatting a card to exFAT(the default file system for SDXC cards) has the benefit of having an essentially no file size limit* other than the cards capacity. FAT32 limits individual file size to 4GB. Also, phones that say they only support 32GB max or SDHC will still accept SDXC cards if fotmatted to FAT32.

*for now and for a very long time to come.

pinoymutt

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the PNY 64GB Turbo U3 card mentioned in post #2 and it screams with the MXPE. (Make sure you get the Turbo and not the High, as there is a speed difference).

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Currently using an LG G3 and I've been using this 32gb SD card that came free with the HTC Thunderbolt lol ... Guess I should finally step that up when I get my Moto X.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ah, ye ol Thunderbolt. Lol. That phone is one I'll never forget.

Giumbix

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I have a couple questions, if somebody can help please:
1) One is related to this cars I am planning to buy for my 16GB Moto X Style, is this a good choise ?
amazon DOT com/dp/B010Q57S62/

2) I read that all the app go to the internal phone storage (whatever left of 16GB in my case) while everything else, like music and pics can go to Micro SD - my question in this case is this: if some app allows the user to download content, in my case that would be "udemy" which allows the user to download the video lessons on the device so that you can watch it where the i-net speed is n/a or slow or limited - where is this particular content going to be stored ? I hope it's the microSD :).

Thanks.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a couple questions, if somebody can help please:
1) One is related to this cars I am planning to buy for my 16GB Moto X Style, is this a good choise ?
amazon DOT com/dp/B010Q57S62/

2) I read that all the app go to the internal phone storage (whatever left of 16GB in my case) while everything else, like music and pics can go to Micro SD - my question in this case is this: if some app allows the user to download content, in my case that would be "udemy" which allows the user to download the video lessons on the device so that you can watch it where the i-net speed is n/a or slow or limited - where is this particular content going to be stored ? I hope it's the microSD :).

Thanks.

From my understanding, downloading apps and running those apps on microsd cards will create problems, such as lag and etc. However, android marshmallow will change that. It will allow microsd cards to act like internal storage.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
Best SD Card for Moto XP?

Is there a "best brand/type" of micro SD card anyone would recommend?

I've never purchased one for a phone before and I don't know if there's a difference in quality or something to watch out for. I see a wide range of types (ultra, extreme, etc.) and I'm confused..

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Best SD Card for Moto XP?

I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB and it's great. I've got all my music, pictures, and videos on it.

Westiemom

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

I ended up ordering a SanDisk Extreme 32GB. I think it will be enough for me , we'll see. Thanks all!

Shimon Mor

May 5, 2013
Visit site

Is there a "best brand/type" of micro SD card anyone would recommend?

My first response above was a bit of tongue-in-cheek...but it is the best card out there if you need the space.

That's the first question you need to ask...how much space do you want/need? Everyone has different needs. Some of the posters above say they have more than enough space with a 64GB card. My wife uses a 32GB card and hardly uses any of it. I have a 128GB card currently and only have 2GB available. I store a lot of stuff for work and need quick access to it and I don't want to rely on the cloud.

As for brand...Sandisk, Samsung, Kingston, Lexar are all good brands. Sony is OK but seems to have more problems. The "lesser" tiers are Patriot, Transcend, PNY...cheaper than the others but people have had a lot of success with them but they are also a little slower and more prone to problems. Avoid the "off-off" brands like Santin, MIC and other strange names. Always check the reviews on Amazon and other places.

Even good brands have problems. Two years ago Sandisk had a batch of bad 64GB cards that constantly unmounted. I went through three cards before buying a Samsung instead. And even the off-brand cards perform well for many people as I'm sure someone will come up and say, "I've been using a Santin card for years with no problems...it's a great card."

As for "ultra" and "extreme"...they are just faster cards. You also may see things like class 2,4, 8,10 or even UHS classes. 10 is the fastest at 10MB/s (same as class 1 UHS). Faster card means faster read/write for videos or if you are storing apps on your card. I would go middle of the road with a "ultra" (which, I believe, is a Sandisk designation).

More interesting info here: SD card showdown: Testing the SanDisk Extreme | Android Central