04-04-2016 07:11 PM
78 1234
tools
    I'm using the PNY 64GB Turbo U3 card mentioned in post #2 and it screams with the MXPE. (Make sure you get the Turbo and not the High, as there is a speed difference).
    09-25-2015 06:39 PM
    Currently using an LG G3 and I've been using this 32gb SD card that came free with the HTC Thunderbolt lol ... Guess I should finally step that up when I get my Moto X.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Ah, ye ol Thunderbolt. Lol. That phone is one I'll never forget.

09-25-2015 09:05 PM
    I installed the same Samsung 128GB card I had in my Note 4. Works great.

09-25-2015 10:19 PM
    I have a couple questions, if somebody can help please:
    1) One is related to this cars I am planning to buy for my 16GB Moto X Style, is this a good choise ?
    amazon DOT com/dp/B010Q57S62/

2) I read that all the app go to the internal phone storage (whatever left of 16GB in my case) while everything else, like music and pics can go to Micro SD - my question in this case is this: if some app allows the user to download content, in my case that would be "udemy" which allows the user to download the video lessons on the device so that you can watch it where the i-net speed is n/a or slow or limited - where is this particular content going to be stored ? I hope it's the microSD .

Thanks.
    09-26-2015 02:56 PM
    I have a couple questions, if somebody can help please:
    1) One is related to this cars I am planning to buy for my 16GB Moto X Style, is this a good choise ?
    amazon DOT com/dp/B010Q57S62/

2) I read that all the app go to the internal phone storage (whatever left of 16GB in my case) while everything else, like music and pics can go to Micro SD - my question in this case is this: if some app allows the user to download content, in my case that would be "udemy" which allows the user to download the video lessons on the device so that you can watch it where the i-net speed is n/a or slow or limited - where is this particular content going to be stored ? I hope it's the microSD .

Thanks.
    From my understanding, downloading apps and running those apps on microsd cards will create problems, such as lag and etc. However, android marshmallow will change that. It will allow microsd cards to act like internal storage.

10-04-2015 12:06 AM
    Is there a "best brand/type" of micro SD card anyone would recommend?

I've never purchased one for a phone before and I don't know if there's a difference in quality or something to watch out for. I see a wide range of types (ultra, extreme, etc.) and I'm confused..

11-13-2015 10:07 PM
    Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD (SDSDQUAN-200G-G4A): Electronics

This is probably the "best" card you can get.
    dmark44 and Westiemom like this.
    11-13-2015 10:54 PM
    I generally stick with Samsung EVO.

Ntchwaidumela and Westiemom like this.
    11-13-2015 11:05 PM
    Yikes! The price!

11-13-2015 11:15 PM
    11-13-2015 11:26 PM
    I have a 64 gig with tons of space.

Westiemom likes this.
    11-13-2015 11:55 PM
    I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 64GB and it's great. I've got all my music, pictures, and videos on it.

dmark44 and Westiemom like this.
    11-14-2015 01:22 AM
    I ended up ordering a SanDisk Extreme 32GB. I think it will be enough for me , we'll see. Thanks all!

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-14-2015 07:12 AM
    Thanks Laura, I probably should have ordered this one...

11-14-2015 07:14 AM
    Is there a "best brand/type" of micro SD card anyone would recommend?
    My first response above was a bit of tongue-in-cheek...but it is the best card out there if you need the space.

That's the first question you need to ask...how much space do you want/need? Everyone has different needs. Some of the posters above say they have more than enough space with a 64GB card. My wife uses a 32GB card and hardly uses any of it. I have a 128GB card currently and only have 2GB available. I store a lot of stuff for work and need quick access to it and I don't want to rely on the cloud.

As for brand...Sandisk, Samsung, Kingston, Lexar are all good brands. Sony is OK but seems to have more problems. The "lesser" tiers are Patriot, Transcend, PNY...cheaper than the others but people have had a lot of success with them but they are also a little slower and more prone to problems. Avoid the "off-off" brands like Santin, MIC and other strange names. Always check the reviews on Amazon and other places.

Even good brands have problems. Two years ago Sandisk had a batch of bad 64GB cards that constantly unmounted. I went through three cards before buying a Samsung instead. And even the off-brand cards perform well for many people as I'm sure someone will come up and say, "I've been using a Santin card for years with no problems...it's a great card."

As for "ultra" and "extreme"...they are just faster cards. You also may see things like class 2,4, 8,10 or even UHS classes. 10 is the fastest at 10MB/s (same as class 1 UHS). Faster card means faster read/write for videos or if you are storing apps on your card. I would go middle of the road with a "ultra" (which, I believe, is a Sandisk designation).

More interesting info here: SD card showdown: Testing the SanDisk Extreme | Android Central
    11-14-2015 07:18 AM
    My first response above was a bit of tongue-in-cheek...but it is the best card out there if you need the space.

That's the first question you need to ask...how much space do you want/need? Everyone has different needs. Some of the posters above say they have more than enough space with a 64GB card. My wife uses a 32GB card and hardly uses any of it. I have a 128GB card currently and only have 2GB available. I store a lot of stuff for work and need quick access to it and I don't want to rely on the cloud.

As for brand...Sandisk, Samsung, Kingston, Lexar are all good brands. Sony is OK but seems to have more problems. The "lesser" tiers are Patriot, Transcend, PNY...cheaper than the others but people have had a lot of success with them but they are also a little slower and more prone to problems. Avoid the "off-off" brands like Santin, MIC and other strange names. Always check the reviews on Amazon and other places.

Even good brands have problems. Two years ago Sandisk had a batch of bad 64GB cards that constantly unmounted. I went through three cards before buying a Samsung instead. And even the off-brand cards perform well for many people as I'm sure someone will come up and say, "I've been using a Santin card for years with no problems...it's a great card."

As for "ultra" and "extreme"...they are just faster cards. You also may see things like class 2,4, 8,10 or even UHS classes. 10 is the fastest at 10MB/s (same as class 1 UHS). Faster card means faster read/write for videos or if you are storing apps on your card. I would go middle of the road with a "ultra" (which, I believe, is a Sandisk designation).

More interesting info here: SD card showdown: Testing the SanDisk Extreme | Android Central
    Thank you! Very helpful!

I am hoping I will be able to store apps on my card if necessary - but mostly pictures, I'm not much of a music collector. But I thought I heard we'll have to wait for 6.0 to be able to put apps on a SD card?

11-14-2015 08:31 AM
    http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_13431...cUvbUpU4835024

Amazon has some good prices on PNY (32/64/128) cards today as part of the Deal of the Day. Not super prices but pretty good.
    11-16-2015 08:28 AM
    IMO no reason not to get a 128GB card- especially if you plan on using adoptive storage with Marshmallow. You have to essentially start from scratch if you decide on upgrading the size later. The card is encrypted and can not be copied to another card once formatted as adoptive. This also means you have stranded apps and will need to reinstall most stuff if you have a 16GB MXPE now.

200GB card is a good investment if you are a media hound. Leaving mine as media storage only though, since have the 64GB MXPE.
    Shimon Mor likes this.
    11-16-2015 08:37 AM
    Yea, I should have gotten a larger SD, but with the price of a good card I really should have gone ahead and ordered at least a 32 GB phone. Didn't think about that at the time ...would have cost $50 more but even the 32 GB card was $20.

11-16-2015 09:50 AM
    Amazon.com: November 16th Deal Of The Day: Electronics

Amazon has some good prices on PNY (32/64/128) cards today as part of the Deal of the Day. Not super prices but pretty good.
    I have the 64GB PNY card and it works just great. I don't plan on using it as adoptive storage, simply to many things could go wrong from bugs to card issues for me to treat it as fully encrypted phone storage, but so far for just music and videos and pictures it works just fine.
    11-16-2015 10:11 AM
    I bought the card listed below on Amazon weeks before I bought the MXPE. Despite the heading, it is a UHS-3 card with max 90MB/s transfer speeds.

I agree with the poster that said anything "Ultra" (Sandisk's term) level or equivalent will work well. But I wanted one super fast card in my arsenal.

SanDisk Extreme 64GB MicroSDXC UHS-1 Card with Adapter (SDSQXNE-064G-GN6MA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013CP5IWO...cUvbUpU4835750
    11-16-2015 01:15 PM
    From my understanding, downloading apps and running those apps on microsd cards will create problems, such as lag and etc. However, android marshmallow will change that. It will allow microsd cards to act like internal storage.

I was going through my apps from the "apps" menu in settings. I noticed that some apps gave the option to "move to SD card." I moved Facebook, Messenger, and Flipboard - all of which are huge apps - and they all continue to work as they did before. I was glad to get those behemoths out of my phone's internal storage.

11-17-2015 05:28 AM
    I'm using the PNY 64GB Turbo U3 card mentioned in post #2 and it screams with the MXPE. (Make sure you get the Turbo and not the High, as there is a speed difference).
    Can you please run the androbench app from Play Store and select the MicroSD as the source and provide the result? I would like to know the random IO ISOP.
    11-21-2015 12:00 PM
    SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC Class 10 48 MB/s Memory Card
    11-23-2015 08:52 PM
    I got this one.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-23-2015 11:21 PM
78 1234