I am returning my Moto X Pure Edition

djh2011

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn. Honestly, I submitted an RMA yesterday and canceled my Moto Care for 79.99. I printed the FedEx return shipping label and even went back to my LG G3. I just have shipped the darn thing back yet. I want to. The X is nice. There are some nice features and boy, is it FAST. Love the SD card. Battery life is good for me (not great, but better than G3). The main reasons I want to return are: 1. It's just a little too big. Having a hard time handling one-handed. 2. The camera is just Ok. 3. No cases (the bumper is nice, but slippery, yet better than nothing). 4. Earpiece volume is lower than I expected. It seems if you adjust the phone it makes a difference, but I don't want to have to find the sweet spot and it ends up being uncomfortable.

czaplin

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Returning.
I have MXP. It's a great phone, unfortunately, battery life sucks big time. I'm returning one. Why do they chose to compete in screen department is beyond me. 1080p screen is very capable in this size of screen. Nexus 5X looks promising, but please don't try to tell us that pathetic 16GB in these days is enough for our storage needs. I like its most specs, including 1080 screen, stereo speakers, finger print scanner and stock android. Even given battery size, but more manageable size. One more time let me ask: Why the **** are you pushing us into the cloud, Google? Have you ever been traveling from Delta, UT to Yosemite NP via US-6? Try to stream music from your Google Music or watch photos from Drive? Every single network suck at that remote area (and a lot of places in US). Where do you want me to keep my music collection? OTG USB drive? Haha.
Unless you, Google, assume all of us have free wifi or unlimited mobile data everywhere.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm torn. Honestly, I submitted an RMA yesterday and canceled my Moto Care for 79.99. I printed the FedEx return shipping label and even went back to my LG G3. I just have shipped the darn thing back yet. I want to. The X is nice. There are some nice features and boy, is it FAST. Love the SD card. Battery life is good for me (not great, but better than G3). The main reasons I want to return are: 1. It's just a little too big. Having a hard time handling one-handed. 2. The camera is just Ok. 3. No cases (the bumper is nice, but slippery, yet better than nothing). 4. Earpiece volume is lower than I expected. It seems if you adjust the phone it makes a difference, but I don't want to have to find the sweet spot and it ends up being uncomfortable.

Same here. I did an RMA tonight and still will debate/wonder until Monday. The device gets too hot with GPU heavy apps after 30 minutes and the battery life takes a far bigger dive than my Note 4. I was watching a VR movie tonight and after 30 minutes the device was 120 degrees and drained 50% in 30 minutes. This is even worse since was not even using a VR theater background and was just black screen background (no VR background for the GPU to deal with).

I really like the device, but the fixed battery and "Flame on!" GPU is likely a killer for me. I have tested enough with my Note 4 to see the 805 is better in regards to GPU heavy apps. It would perhaps be better if not a sealed back, since would run a little cooler and battery swap options.

Ironically I think the Pure would have been a much better device with the year old 805 for heavier users, since the GPU issues would not be prevalent. Again, if a light to medium app user, no harm no foul.

Last edited:

GooGler8

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
Was it a jarring experience for you returning to the Note 4 after the MXPE? I'm also returning mine. Just got my RMA, but do I really want to keep my MXPE... Yes... My Note 4 feels clunky and slow in my hand now. I wish I could root this thing.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I am boxing my Pure up now. Were it not for the rogue GPU, I would keep it, but not assuming Motorola will fix it. If they do, I will reconsider ordering again. As far as the Note 4, I have all the bloat disabled with Package Disabler. My Note 4 is fast. It has half the storage and no superb stereo speakers, but also does not get crazy hot and drain the battery fast with apps using the GPU for more than just mainly passing video through.

I'll take the three hours on average better battery screen on time for my use with the Note 4. The Pure gets too hot with a fixed battery. Again, light to medium users should not run into the heat issue much, so no harm no foul for them.

Seems Qualcomm really screwed up with the 808, since similar issues with the G4. At least it has a replaceable battery, FWIW.

Aridon

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I really think the over heating units and bad battery life are linked. Either that or radio issues with certain carriers / areas. Seems to be a pretty clear separation on people that have no heat issues, no lag and great battery life and other that are loathing 120 degree phones from simple browsing, 2 hours of SOT and super yellow screens.

I'd be inclined to say they had some bad runs. Perhaps some thermal paste issues or who knows what else.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I really think the over heating units and bad battery life are linked. Either that or radio issues with certain carriers / areas. Seems to be a pretty clear separation on people that have no heat issues, no lag and great battery life and other that are loathing 120 degree phones from simple browsing, 2 hours of SOT and super yellow screens.

I'd be inclined to say they had some bad runs. Perhaps some thermal paste issues or who knows what else.

Seems as simple as if you use the GPU much with apps or not. Light to medium users should be least likely to see the issues. The GPU on the 808 is a heat building, power sucking demon. Funny. The 808 has a better CPU than the 805, but the GPU is a lot better on the 805. The 805 does not get hot like this, or drain battery anywhere as fast with GPU heavy apps. The GPU though is typically the main power user on a chipset.

The Harrington

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am one of those people having a heat issue and am returning the XPE. Hopefully the one that replaces it doesn't have any of the same issues.

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I am one of those people having a heat issue and am returning the XPE. Hopefully the one that replaces it doesn't have any of the same issues.

FWIW (hopefully not much), I think the issue is systemic to the device, but you getting a second one is more objective than my conjecture :) My Pure battery and heat issues though were absolutely due to apps that used the GPU compared to ones that do not. Great device until the GPU has to do some work ;)

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
FWIW (hopefully not much), I think the issue is systemic to the device, but you getting a second one is more objective than my conjecture :) My Pure battery and heat issues though were absolutely due to apps that used the GPU compared to ones that do not. Great device until the GPU has to do some work ;)

You're making a huge mistake, Rushmore :confused: All other alternatives will seem cold and distant. Where else can you have a custom designed phone that reflects your personality, that has these awesome MOTO features, as well as the promise of unbloated FAST software updates?

As good as the Nexus 6p looks, I don't think it's long list of features will equal the in-hand experience of the XPE.

Cancel that RMA!

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
You're making a huge mistake, Rushmore :confused: All other alternatives will seem cold and distant. Where else can you have a custom designed phone that reflects your personality, that has these awesome MOTO features, as well as the promise of unbloated FAST software updates?

As good as the Nexus 6p looks, I don't think it's long list of features will equal the in-hand experience of the XPE.

Cancel that RMA!

That new nexus has be questioning things as well. When I saw the battery size I did a double take and now I can't wait to see what comes out tomorrow.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Cancel that RMA!

I thought so too, but the Pure gets too hot with a lot of the apps that I use and battery life is poor as a result. Seems no point in all the space if the battery and heat does not sustain enough to play beyond twenty minutes. Seems better to wait and see if Moto releases an update to help the issue out :)

I found myself always 'strategizing' about my next charge- no such issue with the Note 4. SOT is nearly twice as long with the Note 4 and my usage.

Again, if I were a lighter user, ignorance would truly be bliss :)

BTW, my custom Pure was a black standard back with dark gray with no custom engrave or greeting. That should show how my personality might be inclined ;) ............... :(

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
That new nexus has be questioning things as well. When I saw the battery size I did a double take and now I can't wait to see what comes out tomorrow.

This is an industry wide "conspiracy" ;) OE's are putting smaller batteries in fixed designs to force the aggregate retirement curve of devices in their favor. Notice each year performance increases and battery life from a practical aspect are diminishing? People are keeping their devices longer as a result. What better way to help push the curve in their favor than fixed batteries? Companies are banking on you buying another device instead of paying for a battery replacement two years later or more. Apathy is a business best friend. The low redemption rates for rebates in retail (in general) is proof of that.

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I've tried to get used to the Pure Edition, but it is just too big for me.

Going back to the 2013 model, I've noticed a few things:
1) I feel like a giant. It's amazing how much smaller this phone is cubists to the Pure edition
2) The Pure edition was fast and smooth.
3) I like Lollipop on the Moto X 2013.

The Pure Edition is a great phone, but it was just too big for me. A 5.2 inch screen would of been my preferred size.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Returning mine as well, Nexus 6P on the way.

Nothing really bad to say about the MXPE though, just thought I'd add my name to the list and the reason why.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I've tried to get used to the Pure Edition, but it is just too big for me.

Going back to the 2013 model, I've noticed a few things:
1) I feel like a giant. It's amazing how much smaller this phone is cubists to the Pure edition
2) The Pure edition was fast and smooth.
3) I like Lollipop on the Moto X 2013.

The Pure Edition is a great phone, but it was just too big for me. A 5.2 inch screen would of been my preferred size.

Nexus 5X sounds perfect for you then, same processor as the MXPE, all the nexus benefits and your desired screen size. No brainer!

ahmiowa

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Well, shipped out my MXPE last night - it's in Dallas now.

I really wanted to like it - but it was just flat out too large for me and my hands. The performance was very good for the 6 days I had it, although it did have a couple of quirks.

- The phone made a bizarre rattling sound with vibration - made me wonder if something was loose and a risk for future problems
- The audio output on Bluetooth was actually pretty poor - much lower volume than my old HTC One X+ that is dying with a failing battery. Didn't pair as easily, either.
- The supposedly upgraded camera is still a disappointment - much cooler color representation than my HTC or other digital camera, and the image quality when zoomed in was pretty grainy.

So I'm still limping along, looking for a smaller phone with at least 2GB RAM, 64GB (or 32GB +SD), and a decent camera. I have some insurance funding from the HTC, so I may find a 2014 X Pure Edition that can bridge until someone comes out with a phone I can fit in my pocket that has some performance capabilities. I know the camera is the compromise, but it has to work for more than 5 minutes without overheating.

I see the new Sony compact looks interesting as well, but the overheating and support problem reports are discouraging.

Oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt