09-09-2016 04:01 PM
464 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    I agree with you if you are a moderate user you shouldn't have to have it constantly charging in the car, I really fancy a new phone as I have a weakness for trying different phones and I was dead set on getting the Style BUT the battery life bothers me and I know everyone has different useage but there are a lot of people who are getting really poor battery life, I like my phone screen to be nice and bright so if I got the Style I am sure it wouldn't last me long.

I wasn't sure about it at first but the new Nexus 6P is really grabbing my interest as hopefully that battery might last longer than the Style!
    The Nexus 6p battery life supposedly comes with Marshmallow. So the moto phones should also benefit from that. So the cheaper Moto is still a good buy

Posted via Nexus 6 or Moto X Pure
    VoltaicShock likes this.
    10-05-2015 12:06 AM
    The Nexus 6p battery life supposedly comes with Marshmallow. So the moto phones should also benefit from that. So the cheaper Moto is still a good buy

That is something I am wondering about. Will the update fix the battery issues. I am having battery issues on my Nexus 5 and that is due to the bug in 5.0 with the cell standby.
    10-05-2015 12:16 AM
    I'm just hoping marshmallow fixes the radio active bug. It's basically the only thing draining my battery. When I'm at work all day I probably average about 2-2 1/2 hours screen on time. That's just basically social media and some light web browsing, maybe a few photos. While I'm home, like I was all day Sunday I get almost 4 hours connected to wifi all day.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-05-2015 06:51 AM
    And that's with heavy web browsing and constantly waking my phone for sports updates and taking pictures.

10-05-2015 06:52 AM

Hi there

Thanks for your answer and that sounds good as at this moment I don't want to spend £499 on a 64gb Nexus 6p as I can get the Moto Style 32gb for around £365 and I can put an sd card into it so financially it is better for me as I have an Xperia Z3 and don't really need to replace it

Andy
    10-05-2015 07:20 AM
    Think mine did ok yesterday with the first all day of the charger day. When I am at work I am always around a charger and have the ability to quick charge. Yesterday being off work and just around the house I had mine off charger from 6 AM to 9 PM and still had 20% left which the phone was estimating 5 hours left. I used it a lot during the day, I am always checking Facebook, taking pictures, texting. No phone calls though
    CoMoNexus likes this.
    10-05-2015 11:30 AM
    I confirmed two things compared to my stock VZW Note 4: Both the GPU and radios drain more battery than the Note 4 and radio reception is virtually the same dBm in the same areas.

The GPU strains with any content that is actually 1440p. Not referring to straight video playback, but apps actually using the GPU for data calculations for output. VR apps are ten degrees hotter and the battery drains three times faster with apps such as Cmoar Cinema. The Pure drains fast and gets WTH hot and tops over 120 degrees. True 1440p video though does get the device a lot warmer than the Note 4.

The data radios also drain more battery than the Note 4, but does not get the device hot. It just chugs battery in weak signal areas and the device gets warm. All 3G and LTE radios do drain more battery, but the Pure drains battery Samsung S3 level bad in weak areas.

I think those two issues are heavy weighted and explain the big differences in user battery life. Catch is even light users can get slammed battery-wise if in weak areas. Not as profound as the GPU issue, but overly high draining none the less. My wife's Razr HD and son's DNA both get better signal reception and better battery life in weak areas.

The data radio is such a drainer I just turn that off if no decent signal. Seems both the data radio and the GPU on this device need some taming. That said, the data radios tend to be as-is and more antenna and attenuation dependent. The GPU can be tamed if Motorola deems it a "worthy" update.
    10-05-2015 06:25 PM
    I drain at about 4%/h if I'm on WiFi, 10%/h at work with no WiFi, so that seems to make sense.

10-05-2015 06:41 PM
    Think mine did ok yesterday with the first all day of the charger day. When I am at work I am always around a charger and have the ability to quick charge. Yesterday being off work and just around the house I had mine off charger from 6 AM to 9 PM and still had 20% left which the phone was estimating 5 hours left. I used it a lot during the day, I am always checking Facebook, taking pictures, texting. No phone calls though

I ran into an example of no charging options at an all day presentation in a hotel today. AT&T had decent signal in the giant ballroom, but Verizon data was weak to non existent. The Pure was no better than my Note 4 has been in the same room for dBm signal. What the Pure did do though was drain my battery a lot faster and to the point I turned my data radio off to avoid running to zero. That was with no gaming and literally just MMS texting some Tapatalk and a web check for imail at less than one hour total SOT. I was down to 49% by 2PM. That equates to less than two hours SOT at 20% brightness. This device as far as radios seem not as good as the Droid 3, Razr, Razr HD, or the DNA.

Good example where a spare battery option would have been handy.
    10-05-2015 06:57 PM
    I ran into an example of no charging options at an all day presentation in a hotel today. AT&T had decent signal in the giant ballroom, but Verizon data was weak to non existent. The Pure was no better than my Note 4 has been in the same room for dBm signal. What the Pure did do though was drain my battery a lot faster and to the point I turned my data radio off to avoid running to zero. That was with no gaming and literally just MMS texting some Tapatalk and a web check for imail at less than one hour total SOT. I was down to 49% by 2PM. That equates to less than two hours SOT at 20% brightness. This device as far as radios seem not as good as the Droid 3, Razr, Razr HD, or the DNA.

Good example where a spare battery option would have been handy.
    This phone clearly is not for you.

VoltaicShock and Ry like this.
    10-06-2015 01:16 PM
    External battery packs would have worked too.
    10-06-2015 04:16 PM
    I offer this as a template to discuss battery life (alterations welcome)

Previous Phones: HTC Rezound (extended battery), Droid Maxx
    Carrier: Verizon
    Version: Unrooted, 32gb, used for four weeks
    Battery Life Average: 11 hours, 5 hours SOT (screen on time)
    Average Usage: Internet, no graphics intensive games, 2 email accounts synced hourly, use Facebook, no sync, some photos.
    Signal: Mix of wi-fi and LTE, generally strong signal
    Battery Management: Lux screen brightness (generally 20-30% inside, higher outside), Greenify (generally freezes facebook), mixture of location settings, use moto display (but not wave to activate), use moto assist, use Moto voice occasionally, Bluetooth on, connected to Fitbit Charge HR
    What uses the most battery? By far the screen according to GSAM battery monitor. Particular apps: google+, Facebook, Chrome
    Other Notes: Poor signal drains the battery extremely fast. Video recording drains battery quickly. Generally use quick charger in car, especially when using Navigation/Maps. Very low held awake (wakelock)time, standby battery drain is very good. Don’t seem to have any rogue battery sucking apps.
    Overall: It’s fine for my use, especially if I need to quick charge for 15-20 minutes and gain a good bit of battery life if needed.
    VoltaicShock likes this.
    10-08-2015 10:13 AM
    Hi i have now opo and planning to switch it to moto x pure
    With my opo on low btightness i get 4.5-6 hours of screen time
    How much time i will get with moto x pure?thanks
    10-09-2015 06:50 AM
    Hi i have now opo and planning to switch it to moto x pure
    With my opo on low btightness i get 4.5-6 hours of screen time
    How much time i will get with moto x pure?thanks
    It's hard to tell. It all depends on usage. Are you a heavy gamer? Do you want to enable all the Moto features?

Here is a video of someone talking about battery life:

10-09-2015 07:56 AM
    From someone that did the same jump, you will noticed the battery hit. About half more or less (from OPO to MOTOX)
    10-09-2015 08:04 AM
    From someone that did the same jump, you will noticed the battery hit. About half more or less
    It will be less, but it may not be quite that much (though as mentioned it depends on what kind of user you are). I get close to five hours of SOT pretty consistently with mine.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure
    Attached Thumbnails How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-1766.jpg  
    10-09-2015 09:53 AM
    Just thought I'd bring in an update. I think someone else who mentioned bad signal as being especially draining on the battery,more so on this phone than others, is right. All I've done is be on Wi-Fi at work and home instead of LTE and I get two days of battery life easily. I'll be at fifty percent the next morning. Just a word to the wise.

10-11-2015 02:32 PM
    Just thought I'd bring in an update. I think someone else who mentioned bad signal as being especially draining on the battery,more so on this phone than others, is right. All I've done is be on Wi-Fi at work and home instead of LTE and I get two days of battery life easily.
    I got 5 hours of SOT when I was in airplane mode, it was wonderful
    rushmore likes this.
    10-11-2015 03:17 PM
    Just thought I'd bring in an update. I think someone else who mentioned bad signal as being especially draining on the battery,more so on this phone than others, is right. All I've done is be on Wi-Fi at work and home instead of LTE and I get two days of battery life easily. I'll be at fifty percent the next morning. Just a word to the wise.

This device in weak signal areas drains battery worse than the Note 4. Ditto with GPU heavy apps. The Pure seems a much better fit for light to medium users- if sensitive to battery life. I am a heavy user and kept mine anyway.
    10-11-2015 03:33 PM

Sounds about right. Every phone I have owned if the signal is weak it kills the battery. You think devices would be smart enough now to stop trying to hard to get a signal.
    10-11-2015 05:11 PM
    I am "heavy" user and the Moto X Pure Edition is the right fit for me.
    VoltaicShock and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-12-2015 12:48 PM
    Understand the point of the phone giving up on bad or non-existent signals...but what if it's just really weak and you need to make an emergency call and the phone just gives up trying to connect you based on some arbitrary setting?? Then people would complain that the phone gave up too easily and some poor person didn't get the help they needed because you couldn't reach anyone for help? Double edged sword here!
    10-12-2015 01:28 PM
    Understand the point of the phone giving up on bad or non-existent signals...but what if it's just really weak and you need to make an emergency call and the phone just gives up trying to connect you based on some arbitrary setting?? Then people would complain that the phone gave up too easily and some poor person didn't get the help they needed because you couldn't reach anyone for help? Double edged sword here!
    Shouldn't be an issue. Android M is tackling this by implementing Doze, which has shown great results already and will only get better.

It basically does what you're talking about, but only after X amount of inactivity. It won't be on or aggressive when you're actually trying to use the phone. Basically it's built in LeanDroid that doesn't require you to root. It's brilliant and I can't wait to use it on my Moto X Pure/Style as this is the ONLY issue with the phone. Other than that when it's fixed I'll finally have found the phone that to me is PERFECT, aesthetically, software wise, build quality wise AND battery wise.
    10-12-2015 01:34 PM
    Shouldn't be an issue. Android M is tackling this by implementing Doze, which has shown great results already and will only get better.

It basically does what you're talking about, but only after X amount of inactivity. It won't be on or aggressive when you're actually trying to use the phone. Basically it's built in LeanDroid that doesn't require you to root. It's brilliant and I can't wait to use it on my Moto X Pure/Style as this is the ONLY issue with the phone. Other than that when it's fixed I'll finally have found the phone that to me is PERFECT, aesthetically, software wise, build quality wise AND battery wise.
    Remember - Doze basically needs the phone to be still - like on a desk. It can't be in your pocket or bag or purse and moving.
    Laura Knotek and davidnc like this.
    10-12-2015 02:42 PM
    Remember - Doze basically needs the phone to be still - like on a desk. It can't be in your pocket or bag or purse and moving.
    Right. I don't think i'd want it Dozing if I were out and about or on the go, that'd be too aggressive for my taste.
    10-12-2015 02:45 PM
464 ... 910111213 ...