How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Sounds like it's defaulting to a standard charge, which is better than the Anker that won't charge at all.

Posted via the Android Central App

Have you tried with different cables. I have had issues with cables before. There are two at my desk that charge my current phone (Nexus 5) really slow, but the other USB cables I have charge at a faster rate.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried with different cables. I have had issues with cables before. There are two at my desk that charge my current phone (Nexus 5) really slow, but the other USB cables I have charge at a faster rate.

Yes, I have a variety of cables, including the one that came with the charger.

It's confirmed by Anker that it's not compatible.

This isn't a case of slow charging. The screen shows Turbocharger, then disconnects.

When the phone is above 60% or so it shows Turbocharger, and stays charging.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like it's defaulting to a standard charge, which is better than the Anker that won't charge at all.

Tried the Aukey again when my battery got down to 20% tonight. I was able to charge from 20% to 100% in 70 minutes. The breakdown is as follows:

20% to 60% - 20 minutes
61% to 72% - 10 minutes
73% to 83% - 10 minutes
84% to 92% - 10 minutes
93% to 100% - 20 minutes

When I first plugged in the charger to screen did say Turbocharger. I was using the supplied usb cable.

I plan to do a similar test tomorrow using the same charger but a generic usb cable.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Tried the Aukey again when my battery got down to 20% tonight. I was able to charge from 20% to 100% in 70 minutes. The breakdown is as follows:

20% to 60% - 20 minutes
61% to 72% - 10 minutes
73% to 83% - 10 minutes
84% to 92% - 10 minutes
93% to 100% - 20 minutes

Very close to my results last night, with a fully charged Aukey 15000, and using the supplied usb cable:

25 - 60% - 20 minutes
60 - 84% - 20 minutes
84 - 98% - 20 minutes
100% - 6 minutes

The Aukey has a micro usb for power input, and two full size usb ports for power output, one of which has an orange tab inside. That is the Qualcomm 2.0 output, while the other one is regular output. The orange output is the one that gives me the "Turbo" message on the phone.

I haven't done any quantification of the Moto XPE's battery life. It seems decent to me. It may not be as good as my previous Note 4, but perhaps I've been playing more with my Moto now while it is new. I was used to having replaceable batteries, though, so this Aukey charger looked like a good alternative for airports or other times when I might not be near a charger.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I have a variety of cables, including the one that came with the charger.

It's confirmed by Anker that it's not compatible.

This isn't a case of slow charging. The screen shows Turbocharger, then disconnects.

When the phone is above 60% or so it shows Turbocharger, and stays charging.

I'm confused I thought you said it didn't charge when it was above 60%. But now you are saying it charges above 60%?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Performed a 2nd test with my Aukey 15000 mAh with Quick Charge 2.0. 1st charge from yesterday was using the QC output port with the supplied cable. 2nd test was using the QC output port with a generic micro usb cable (purchased from AT&T about a year ago). Both tests result in the screen showing Turbocharger when plugged in.

Results of Test 1
20% to 60% - 20 minutes
61% to 72% - 10 minutes
73% to 83% - 10 minutes
84% to 92% - 10 minutes
93% to 100% - 20 minutes

Results of Test 2
20% to 59% - 20 minutes
60% to 71% - 10 minutes
72% to 83% - 10 minutes
84% to 92% - 10 minutes
93% to 100% - 20 minutes

It seems the Aukey does not care what usb cable is used as the charging times were the same.

If there is any other test someone wants performed please let me know.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm confused I thought you said it didn't charge when it was above 60%. But now you are saying it charges above 60%?

Maybe a misunderstanding

Phone above 60% - Anker 10050mah qc2.0 charges, MotoX indicates Turbocharger on display, phone charges to 100%.

Phone below 60% - Anker 10050mah QC2.0 charger connects, phone shows Turbocharger, then immediately disconnects. Phone will not charge.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Maybe a misunderstanding

Phone above 60% - Anker 10050mah qc2.0 charges, MotoX indicates Turbocharger on display, phone charges to 100%.

Phone below 60% - Anker 10050mah QC2.0 charger connects, phone shows Turbocharger, then immediately disconnects. Phone will not charge.

Ok Thanks for clarifying this for me.

This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4758155

Mine doesn't have quick charge so I am hoping it still charges below 60%

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Very close to my results last night, with a fully charged Aukey 15000, and using the supplied usb cable:

25 - 60% - 20 minutes
60 - 84% - 20 minutes
84 - 98% - 20 minutes
100% - 6 minutes

I tried this again last night using the A/C Turbo charger that came with the XPE, and the charging times were identical to what I got from the Aukey, except the A/C charger got to 62% after 20 minutes, and 85% after another 20 minutes (both almost identical to the Aukey). I'm impressed with the Aukey. I hope it does well charging a phone multiple times, and lasts long.

SLORider

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
FAIL: Totally destroyed Moto X Pure with 2 foot drop

COMPLETE FAIL. Is this phone too fragile?

Less than 48 hours ownership... Bent down to tie my shoe, phone falls 24 inches from breast pocket, screen totally obliterated and unresponsive. Phone is bricked. Can't unlock. Can't retrieve data. Can't answer calls or read texts or SILENCE ALARMS!!!

This fragility is totally unacceptable. I carried a DROID MAXX HD for 2-1/2 years with only a 3M film screen protector. The MAXX HD suffered numerous cringing falls and rebounds off my foot skittering across asphalt and concrete. Never a scratch on that screen.

I don't see any 3M film screen protectors for the MXPE, only tempered glass. It seems to me that film is superior. Hard tempered glass protectors would seem to transfer shock while plastic film deforms and absorbs shock.

MOTO CARE SUCKS (so far). I immediately purchased Moto Care online (which advertises retroactive coverage if purchased within thirty days). But the Moto web site did not immediately recognize my purchase. Spoke to three uninformative customer (non-) service representatives (with heavy language barriers).

The third rep told me my Moto Care would take up to ten days for "delivery". WHAT? There is nothing to ship! Further, the Moto Care purchase FAQ says nothing about "delivery" delays. The rep says "sorry", there's nothing he can do.

Next day, my Moto Care package magically "appears" on the Moto web site under "My Stuff" and so I click the "Repair" button. I enter all my details and make payment. Now, it's almost been a week and there's no sign of life. I click "Track Repair" and enter my RMA number. Nothing. So, then I attempt to track using my IMEI number. Nothing. Finally, I try it again using my phone number and zip code. Surprise---that one works and I can see I have a repair order, but it's all blanks under "Replacement device, date shipped, etc."

How many days to get a replacement? Who knows.

Any other aftermarket sources to replace a cracked screen?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: I dropped my Moto X Pure Edition

I dropped mine but had a case on it. There is a huge difference in a 5.7" display and the ones you compare as far as cracking when dropped. A device like the MXPE needs a case or bumper. Gravity loves big displays.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I dropped mine but had a case on it. There is a huge difference in a 5.7" display and the ones you compare as far as cracking when dropped. A device like the MXPE needs a case or bumper. Gravity loves big displays.

Totally agree. I dropped my 2014 Moto X onto concrete face down once with just a back cover and it survived unscathed. However just the other day my beloved Pure fell onto hard pavement and fell face down. I had a nice Incipio back cover on it and a tempered glass screen protector. Well the lip on the back cover helped but one of the corners shattered. Much to my relief only the tempered glass shattered - the screen is just fine without a scratch. Dang I feel lucky!

My feeling is the Pure is a heavier phone than the 2014 X so protection is even more important. I'm so paranoid now I'm back to using my 2014 until a replacement screen cover gets here. Geez I miss my Pure but don't want to take a chance. It's bigger and heavier and accidents happen.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Totally agree. I dropped my 2014 Moto X onto concrete face down once with just a back cover and it survived unscathed. However just the other day my beloved Pure fell onto hard pavement and fell face down. I had a nice Incipio back cover on it and a tempered glass screen protector. Well the lip on the back cover helped but one of the corners shattered. Much to my relief only the tempered glass shattered - the screen is just fine without a scratch. Dang I feel lucky!

My feeling is the Pure is a heavier phone than the 2014 X so protection is even more important. I'm so paranoid now I'm back to using my 2014 until a replacement screen cover gets here. Geez I miss my Pure but don't want to take a chance. It's bigger and heavier and accidents happen.

Dropping a phone really depends on so much. You can drop one phone from high up and be fine but the next it crack entirely. It really isn't a fair comparison since no phone is dropped the same. Example.. Back in the day I dropped my iPhone 4 at least 5+ times with no consequences... My ex gf... First drop from sitting on a chair instant full crack.

Angle depends a lot and how it falls. Either way these phones aren't built to take screen drops. The new one from Motorola for Verizon is advertised for it... If it cracks then yes I could see some being upset... But this phone isn't advertised that way. The right drop can cause destruction.

colton groters

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
First day, battery life was not the best at all but I was downloading apps and music and transferring files from my old phone. Second day, battery life is much better. Hoping it just keeps getting better from the first day on!

Hendry775

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
First day, battery life was not the best at all but I was downloading apps and music and transferring files from my old phone. Second day, battery life is much better. Hoping it just keeps getting better from the first day on!

Same here, been using it for 2 days and battery life keeps getting better. Guess I will get a good estimate after at least a week of use and letting it go through some charge/discharge cycles.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I have a tempered glass protector on my 2013 Nexus 5 and have dropped the phone (it is in a case, I always use a case). The tempered glass now has a line going through it but the actual screen under it is fine.

SLORider

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

It really isn't a fair comparison since no phone is dropped the same. ... Either way these phones aren't built to take screen drops.

Point understood, yet dozens of no-damage drops and kicks to my MAXX HD compared to one 24-inch total-destruction drop on the MXPE really does equal out the comparison.

There is a huge difference in a 5.7" display and the ones you compare as far as cracking when dropped. A device like the MXPE needs a case or bumper. Gravity loves big displays.

I don't perceive 1" to be 'a huge difference' (RAZR MAXX HD has 4.7" display), albeit there is some difference. The MAXX HD incorporated a so very much more effective lip around the display.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Point understood, yet dozens of no-damage drops and kicks to my MAXX HD compared to one 24-inch total-destruction drop on the MXPE really does equal out the comparison.

As I said before.. Just depends on how it drops. The right way can easily do that.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: FAIL: Totally destroyed Moto X Pure with 2 foot drop

COMPLETE FAIL. Is this phone too fragile?

Less than 48 hours ownership... Bent down to tie my shoe, phone falls 24 inches from breast pocket, screen totally obliterated and unresponsive. Phone is bricked. Can't unlock. Can't retrieve data. Can't answer calls or read texts or SILENCE ALARMS!!!

This fragility is totally unacceptable. I carried a DROID MAXX HD for 2-1/2 years with only a 3M film screen protector. The MAXX HD suffered numerous cringing falls and rebounds off my foot skittering across asphalt and concrete. Never a scratch on that screen.

I don't see any 3M film screen protectors for the MXPE, only tempered glass. It seems to me that film is superior. Hard tempered glass protectors would seem to transfer shock while plastic film deforms and absorbs shock.

MOTO CARE SUCKS (so far). I immediately purchased Moto Care online (which advertises retroactive coverage if purchased within thirty days). But the Moto web site did not immediately recognize my purchase. Spoke to three uninformative customer (non-) service representatives (with heavy language barriers).

The third rep told me my Moto Care would take up to ten days for "delivery". WHAT? There is nothing to ship! Further, the Moto Care purchase FAQ says nothing about "delivery" delays. The rep says "sorry", there's nothing he can do.

Next day, my Moto Care package magically "appears" on the Moto web site under "My Stuff" and so I click the "Repair" button. I enter all my details and make payment. Now, it's almost been a week and there's no sign of life. I click "Track Repair" and enter my RMA number. Nothing. So, then I attempt to track using my IMEI number. Nothing. Finally, I try it again using my phone number and zip code. Surprise---that one works and I can see I have a repair order, but it's all blanks under "Replacement device, date shipped, etc."

How many days to get a replacement? Who knows.

Any other aftermarket sources to replace a cracked screen?

I think it's reasonable to think sacrifices were made to get the price of the phone down to where moto wanted it. Cheaper materials, more fragile. You get what you pay for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo