09-09-2016 03:01 PM
464 1234 ...
tools
    battery life is just ok
    Attached Thumbnails How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-screenshot_2015-09-12-17-19-16.jpg   How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-screenshot_2015-09-14-21-36-05.jpg   How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-screenshot_2015-09-13-08-03-03.jpg   How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-screenshot_2015-09-12-06-18-27.jpg  
    09-16-2015 09:52 PM
    Folks, please check this tear down video. There appears to be room for a bigger battery, so not getting Moto's decision here (weight concern?). I have worked in consumer and commercial electronics with contract manufacturing, a battery company and my undergrad is in both computer electronics and industrial technology (I have some idea of how this stuff is put together).

Also not sure why they went the non replaceable route, due to the material design they used in the housing. Odd since the cost delta would be nominal if anything.

weight and/or pricing issue ... it was weird that moto used such a larger battery in the play and opted for the smaller one here. I'm not at all surprised to learn that there was indeed space. moto and Verizon are huge partners in the US, and Moto generates about 25% of its revenue from that relationship. it wouldn't be that far fetched to think that with the turbo being marketed for its battery, moto agreed to back of a little.

either way, it's a great device. and I don't get some of the guys at AC suggesting it has a cheap, plastic feel. I didn't get that impression at all. I thought it felt great, and considering the size it's really comfortable to hold.
    jasmeer oberoi likes this.
    09-16-2015 10:23 PM
    Folks, please check this tear down video. There appears to be room for a bigger battery, so not getting Moto's decision here (weight concern?). I have worked in consumer and commercial electronics with contract manufacturing, a battery company and my undergrad is in both computer electronics and industrial technology (I have some idea of how this stuff is put together).

Also not sure why they went the non replaceable route, due to the material design they used in the housing. Odd since the cost delta would be nominal if anything.

It's a conspiracy.
    rushmore, Bob Terry and jephanie like this.
    09-16-2015 11:15 PM
    battery life is just ok
    Four hours of SOT is "ok?" I would call that, combined with the fast charging capability to be pretty darn good.
    09-17-2015 12:02 AM
    weight and/or pricing issue ... it was weird that moto used such a larger battery in the play and opted for the smaller one here. I'm not at all surprised to learn that there was indeed space. moto and Verizon are huge partners in the US, and Moto generates about 25% of its revenue from that relationship. it wouldn't be that far fetched to think that with the turbo being marketed for its battery, moto agreed to back of a little.

either way, it's a great device. and I don't get some of the guys at AC suggesting it has a cheap, plastic feel. I didn't get that impression at all. I thought it felt great, and considering the size it's really comfortable to hold.
    I don't get the cheap feel claims either. Feels every bit as premium as the 2014 to me.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-17-2015 01:09 AM
    I unplugged the phone around 10.00. AM to 1.15 AM..so far so good...
    Attached Thumbnails How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-1442477661022.jpg  
    VoltaicShock likes this.
    09-17-2015 03:16 AM
    I've seen nothing impressive with battery life. That's a place where they could have made a difference. But they didn't. Just another phone with average battery and average camera. At least they didn't price it like a premium
    09-17-2015 04:08 AM
    I unplugged the phone around 10.00. AM to 1.15 AM..so far so good...
    5 hours sot is superb but for me I like a nice bright screen as I know when some people claim lots of hours sot they have a really dim screen so for 5 hours sot what was your brightness set to.
    09-17-2015 04:26 AM
    So far, it's about on par with my Nexus 6. I've only had it two days though, so I really need to give it a week or so before I can really make any judgments.

09-17-2015 04:43 AM
    I've seen nothing impressive with battery life. That's a place where they could have made a difference. But they didn't. Just another phone with average battery and average camera. At least they didn't price it like a premium
    Premium: A word that shouldn't be used to describe any item that is a commodity.

Moto XPE
    Bob Terry likes this.
    09-17-2015 05:24 AM
    Anyone using the PE after using a G4? Both have the same size battery but wondering how the battery life compares from the G4 to the PE.
    I had the TMobile G4 and am now using the MXPE ... Battery life has been better than the G4 for me, and the X battery life continues to improve (I've only had it since last Friday).

With the G4 I was rooted and disabled a ton of LG apps/features, delete all T-Mobile crapware, location services was on battery saver, location history off and Greenify installed.

With the X the only things that I have off are attentive display (have no use for it) and approach for moto display (I find it to be extremely annoying as it's WAY too aggressive).

First two days were rough, but since then the X has been easily getting me through my typical day; and the moto features are awesome! Being able to respond to a text without ever touching the phone while driving is just plain AWESOME!

MOTO X PURE EDITION!
    ibcop likes this.
    09-17-2015 05:56 AM
    Four hours of SOT is "ok?" I would call that, combined with the fast charging capability to be pretty darn good.
    I guess i missed which one of my 4 screenshots having 4 hrs SOT.
    09-17-2015 06:16 AM
    Sadly, you're not getting that like the majority of us seem to be. Other than signal strength, battery life is definitely app and screen brightness specific. When I'm indoors, I keep the screen at about 20% bright and it is plenty bright at that level. But some of the 3D gaming I've recently messed around with definitely hits the battery much harder than Words With Friends and Facebook. So consider what your app utilization is along with screen brightness.
    09-17-2015 08:00 AM
    I don't get the cheap feel claims either. Feels every bit as premium as the 2014 to me.

It is the direct opposite of cheap IMO.
    On2Vegas and dmark44 like this.
    09-17-2015 08:06 AM
    Sadly, you're not getting that like the majority of us seem to be. Other than signal strength, battery life is definitely app and screen brightness specific. When I'm indoors, I keep the screen at about 20% bright and it is plenty bright at that level. But some of the 3D gaming I've recently messed around with definitely hits the battery much harder than Words With Friends and Facebook. So consider what your app utilization is along with screen brightness.
    Ditto! The GPU use and LTE use / signal strength are two of the biggest wild cards besides display brightness. That said, those two things drain the Note 4, Note 5 and iPhone 6+ a lot more quickly as well. GPU and signal strength are the great equalizers.
    dmark44 likes this.
    09-17-2015 08:09 AM
    5 hours sot is superb but for me I like a nice bright screen as I know when some people claim lots of hours sot they have a really dim screen so for 5 hours sot what was your brightness set to.
    I never dim my screen but with the X pure..30-35% brightness is bright enough for me..

Oneplus two 3300 mah with 1080p get around 3.5-4 SOT..without turbo charger I think we can't complain anything.
    09-17-2015 10:37 AM
    Thanks for that video!

He has the Black/Red that I am thinking of getting.
    09-17-2015 11:17 AM
    Both your first and last screenshot read, "Screen On: 4h 1m"
    09-17-2015 11:18 AM
    Both your first and last screenshot read, "Screen On: 4h 1m"
    Those were early averages, which is weird because I never got over 4 hrs SOT on this phone. Now the average is down to about 3 h 20 mins.
    09-17-2015 12:17 PM
    I really want this phone, but the battery life is holding me back. I currently have an s6 active and I average almost 7 hours screen on time. Sounds like the moto x pure is about half that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    09-17-2015 03:30 PM
    I really want this phone, but the battery life is holding me back. I currently have an s6 active and I average almost 7 hours screen on time. Sounds like the moto x pure is about half that

Yeah, you better keep it - if you're getting that much SOT with the S6 Active, you better hold on to it. No way you'll get that with the PE.
    09-17-2015 05:11 PM
    Looks like standby time is pretty good...

Attached Thumbnails How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-599.jpg  
    Phonejock likes this.
    09-18-2015 03:42 AM
    Yeah I don't expect that much sot out of the pe... But when I see posts of 4 and half to 5 hours sot , it gives me hope that some tweaking or updates may make this phone closer to what I want and need

09-18-2015 07:35 AM
    We can't know what the potential battery life is for this phone since there are no Kitkat roms for it and Lollipop roms, with their battery draining bugs, get about 30-50% less battery life. Google finally acknowledged the mobile radio active bug in Lollipop yesterday, so perhaps that will be fixed in a month or two. I will wait until Lollipop is repaired or Marshmallow is released, then see what the battery is like. 4 hours SOT is not acceptable to me, especially without a replaceable battery. I will stick with my Oneplus One on Kitkat where I get 6 hours SOT (with normal adaptive brightness). I am not downgrading to that much less battery life.
    09-18-2015 08:38 AM
    We can't know what the potential battery life is for this phone since there are no Kitkat roms for it and Lollipop roms, with their battery draining bugs, get about 30-50% less battery life. Google finally acknowledged the mobile radio active bug in Lollipop yesterday, so perhaps that will be fixed in a month or two. I will wait until Lollipop is repaired or Marshmallow is released, then see what the battery is like. 4 hours SOT is not acceptable to me, especially without a replaceable battery. I will stick with my Oneplus One on Kitkat where I get 6 hours SOT (with normal adaptive brightness). I am not downgrading to that much less battery life.
    I will agree with you about the bug needing to be fixed. My Nexus 5 drains quickly.

What I don't understand is why do you need more than 4 hours of screen on time?
    09-18-2015 09:03 AM
464 1234 ...