09-09-2016 04:01 PM
464 12345 ...
tools
    I really want this phone, but the battery life is holding me back. I currently have an s6 active and I average almost 7 hours screen on time. Sounds like the moto x pure is about half that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    With the battery life I've been getting I shouldn't have an issue hitting 6hrs SOT...if I ever needed to have my screen on that much.
    09-18-2015 10:25 AM
    Really really want to order one. But I was hoping for a bigger battery and better battery life then my 2013 X. Contemplating waiting for the Turbo 2.
    09-18-2015 11:45 AM
    I was in the same boat as far as battery, but will test it out and see if my own use does not my usual day. The 64GB w/card slot, front stereo speakers, no bloat, custom build, much lower cost and perhaps better radio reception than my Note 4- combined, makes it too good IMO to not at least give it a chance.

Also hoping there is less screen door effect for VR content than my Note 4 and it's pentile display.
    09-18-2015 11:59 AM
    I really wanted this phone but for me I just know that the battery life will be nowhere near as good as a few people on here say it is as I like a bright screen so my brightness will be turned up more and some claims on here of 5/6 hours sot will no doubt have the brightness down at 20% and to me that is a non starter as I like bright displays and I bet the battery life is no better than the G3 I had and that was shocking so I am just going to give this phone a miss.

It is a real shame as I love the idea of a 5.7" screen and wanting a screen that size does limit my choices somewhat and the two new Nexus phones will be no good as the LG is likely to be a 5.2" and the bigger one is a make I wouldn't ever consider buying.
    09-18-2015 12:01 PM
    I was in the same boat as far as battery, but will test it out and see if my own use does not my usual day. The 64GB w/card slot, front stereo speakers, no bloat, custom build, much lower cost and perhaps better radio reception than my Note 4- combined, makes it too good IMO to not at least give it a chance.

Also hoping there is less screed door effect for VR content than my Note 4 and it's pentile display.
    I had both Moto Xs prior to getting my Note 4 in March. I loved both, and switched to the Note 4 for the battery. I've come to really like the larger form factor, and if the battery results turn out well, I will probably switch back.
    09-18-2015 12:16 PM
    I had both Moto Xs prior to getting my Note 4 in March. I loved both, and switched to the Note 4 for the battery. I've come to really like the larger form factor, and if the battery results turn out well, I will probably switch back.
    Can I ask your thoughts on your Note 4 as I also love a larger screen and did fancy trying the Note 4 even though I said I wouldn't have another Samsung phone I might just try and find one as I just think the Pure/Style battery won't be that great and a few reviews I have read say that the colours are more pastel rather than vibrant so I have reservations about that as well.
    09-18-2015 12:51 PM
    I saw a tear down on YouTube yesterday and a few people commented how it looked like it could hold a larger battery. Maybe someone will try to install a larger battery and tell us how it turned out??? Otherwise I am going to bed after about 17 hours average with the phone turned on and I still have plenty left over before I shut it down and put it on a regular slow charger. Don't like or trust those high speed chargers as I am convinced they will deteriorate the battery faster than normal. I don't care about my SOT because I use it for normal texting, email, phone calls (WOW phone calls on a cell phone) and the occasional Chrome WEB session.
    VoltaicShock likes this.
    09-18-2015 01:53 PM
    Recap my usage and settings -

Auto brightness enabled.
    GPS set to High Accuracy and always enabled.
    WiFi always On even when I'm not connected to a WiFi network.
    Bluetooth always On and always connected to a Motorola Moto 360 and Motorola Power Pack Micro.
    Google Photos set to sync all the time (not just while on WiFi)
    All Motorola Actions Enabled (Twist, Chop, Wave, etc.)

Device is encrypted per work policy.
    I have to use AirWatch MDM including their Inbox/Calendar for work.

Apps I use everyday: AC app, AC Forums app, Instagram, Motorola Camera, Motorola Gallery, Google Photos, Google Chrome, Facebook, AirWatch Inbox, AirWatch Calendar, Gmail, Amazon, eBay, YouTube, PocketCasts, Google Keep, Google Drive, Google Hangouts, Google+, WebEx, Phone.

I have an hour commute both ways so Moto Assist via the Moto app runs for at least two hours. On my drive, I'm listening to podcasts via PocketCasts.

5 days in and I'm getting what I expected - a full day's worth of use.
    09-18-2015 02:48 PM
    Recap my usage and settings -

Auto brightness enabled.
    GPS set to High Accuracy and always enabled.
    WiFi always On even when I'm not connected to a WiFi network.
    Bluetooth always On and always connected to a Motorola Moto 360 and Motorola Power Pack Micro.
    Google Photos set to sync all the time (not just while on WiFi)
    All Motorola Actions Enabled (Twist, Chop, Wave, etc.)

Device is encrypted per work policy.
    I have to use AirWatch MDM including their Inbox/Calendar for work.

Apps I use everyday: AC app, AC Forums app, Instagram, Motorola Camera, Motorola Gallery, Google Photos, Google Chrome, Facebook, AirWatch Inbox, AirWatch Calendar, Gmail, Amazon, eBay, YouTube, PocketCasts, Google Keep, Google Drive, Google Hangouts, Google+, WebEx, Phone.

I have an hour commute both ways so Moto Assist via the Moto app runs for at least two hours. On my drive, I'm listening to podcasts via PocketCasts.

5 days in and I'm getting what I expected - a full day's worth of use.
    Glad to know you are getting a full days worth. I am hearing some reviews saying it has poor battery life, then again I am near a plug all day.
    09-18-2015 03:14 PM
    I was listening to 3 hours of streaming podcast's, 3 hours of pre loaded Spotify music, 2 hours of talk time and 1 1/2 hours of on screen time in my 8 hour work day and went from 100% to 48%. My 2nd gen Moto x would have been in the 20's with this usage. I'm liking the phone if I can get used to its size.

Edit: my screen was turned up to 50% which is actually one of the brighter screens I've owned. This screen is much brighter than the G3's screen.

Posted via the Android Central App
    jasmeer oberoi likes this.
    09-18-2015 05:18 PM
    I feel like I'm getting OK battery life. Usually lasts from 4 am wake up to 4-5 pm then I pop it on the turbo charger for a bit before going to bed but checking my stats kind of bummed me out to see only about 2 hrs of screen on time. And on top of that whatever the heck "mobile radio active" is it seems to be on a lot.

Attached Thumbnails How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-2617.jpg   How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-2619.jpg  
    09-18-2015 07:40 PM
    I feel like I'm getting OK battery life. Usually lasts from 4 am wake up to 4-5 pm then I pop it on the turbo charger for a bit before going to bed but checking my stats kind of bummed me out to see only about 2 hrs of screen on time. And on top of that whatever the heck "mobile radio active" is it seems to be on a lot.

Only 2 hours of sot! I know if I got one that's probably what I would get but I hope that improves for you.
    09-18-2015 07:51 PM
    Is anyone using the Moto XPE on Sprint, specifically Sprint Prepaid? How's the service? Would it be wise to switch from T-Mobile Prepaid over to Sprint? It would save me $5 a month, if so.

09-18-2015 08:04 PM
    Is anyone using the Moto XPE on Sprint, specifically Sprint Prepaid? How's the service? Would it be wise to switch from T-Mobile Prepaid over to Sprint? It would save me $5 a month, if so.

For $5 bucks I wouldn't switch.
    09-18-2015 08:32 PM

From your screenshots it doesn't look like you have a strong signal. A weak signal can cause your battery to drain faster.

Also I believe there is a bug in 5.1.1 in regards to the radios.
    09-18-2015 08:33 PM
    From your screenshots it doesn't look like you have a strong signal. A weak signal can cause your battery to drain faster.

Also I believe there is a bug in 5.1.1 in regards to the radios.
    I noticed that, which is weird since the only place I never have service is in the local while foods which I got to maybe once every 10 days or so. I read about the radio bug a little after I noticed that but all I found was basically that Google doesn't give a crap.

09-18-2015 08:55 PM
    I unplugged at 6AM this morning and spent all day at work no WiFi medium to strong 4G VZW signal at work. Came home about 4 PM with WiFi at home and still have 51% left at 7 PM. Moderate use all day.
    LaxRef93 and VoltaicShock like this.
    09-18-2015 09:59 PM
    I noticed that, which is weird since the only place I never have service is in the local while foods which I got to maybe once every 10 days or so. I read about the radio bug a little after I noticed that but all I found was basically that Google doesn't give a crap.

Good old Whole Foods! - : P

I can't find it right now but someone said they acknowledged this bug and are going to fix it. (Read enough people complained about it)
    09-18-2015 10:20 PM
    Good old Whole Foods! - : P

I can't find it right now but someone said they acknowledged this bug and are going to fix it. (Read enough people complained about it)
    Good to know. I get enough use out of the battery but more is always better, podcasts or music on a half hour commute to and from work, some light gaming, twitter and Instagram a few times a day and these forums and some internet browsing.

benjamminh likes this.
    09-18-2015 10:35 PM
    Eight hours on, seven hours screen on, mostly internet today before charging.
    VoltaicShock likes this.
    09-18-2015 10:40 PM
    Good to know. I get enough use out of the battery but more is always better, podcasts or music on a half hour commute to and from work, some light gaming, twitter and Instagram a few times a day and these forums and some internet browsing.

Yeah once it gets cold I will be taking the bus which can take me up to an hour or more to get to work. I usually watch Netflix. It will be nice to have a larger screen.
    09-18-2015 10:56 PM
    I will agree with you about the bug needing to be fixed. My Nexus 5 drains quickly.

What I don't understand is why do you need more than 4 hours of screen on time?
    My Nexus 5 is terrible for battery life also.

And if you're someone who travels, and works from your phone, and relies on GPS... etc. you take all the battery life you can get. That, and clash of clans doesn't just play itself.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
    09-18-2015 11:31 PM
    Can I ask your thoughts on your Note 4 as I also love a larger screen and did fancy trying the Note 4 even though I said I wouldn't have another Samsung phone I might just try and find one as I just think the Pure/Style battery won't be that great and a few reviews I have read say that the colours are more pastel rather than vibrant so I have reservations about that as well.
    I like my note 4. As I noted, I had both X's prior. I prefer the vanilla android experience with the Moto apps over TouchWiz, although there are a few things here and there that are nice with TouchWiz. The screen on the note 4 and camera are amazing.

I switched primarily to the note 4 due to the battery and being able to swap that out. Admittedly I only do it once or twice a month, but it is so nice to from 20% to 100% in a minute. Despite what people with say about turbo charging and battery banks, that isn't as convenient. This is the one area that gives me pause on the new X. If the battery were larger, I would probably switch. For now I will wait and see. Interested to see how the new x does in the phone arena battery tests. I know that is not real world usage, but it is a consistent benchmark and one I could use to get a general sense of how the battery life will be relative to the note 4.
    turf likes this.
    09-19-2015 07:56 AM
    Well, I charged using a turbo charger yesterday evening and my phone was at 100% when I went to bed so I didn't put it on the charger. I woke up with it at about 94% I think it was at 7:30am. Since then I've been checking draft kings and onefootball app all morning while watching soccer and checking twitter and browsing these forums all while connected to my WiFi at home and have my highest screen on time, no issue with mobile radio active and Google services not using anywhere near as much battery as when I'm out and about.

Anyone know what to take away from this? I usually turn off WiFi when I leave my house so its not searching for WiFi all day, and I have Verizon so I pretty much always have 4g except at the grocery store. Could it just be a case of the battery settling in, if that's a thing?

Attached Thumbnails How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-2625.jpg   How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-2626.jpg  
    09-19-2015 10:58 AM
    It sure has been my experience with just about every phone I owned from BlackBerry's to Droids. It seems to take about 2 weeks to start seeing consistent battery life. My Droid Turbo wouldn't hardly get past one day but after a week or two it lasted all day with 40% left by bed time. I also am on Verizon and shut off WiFi when I leave the house.
    09-19-2015 11:56 AM
464 12345 ...