09-09-2016 03:01 PM
464 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Wow - first full day with normal usage and its really bad. Like something must be wrong bad. Off charger at 7am and now its 4pm, and I'm at 30%. Would definitely need to charge to make it to this evening. Can't keep this phone if I can't get a full day of normal usage and today wasnt that heavy a usage.

Looks like Screen On Time is only 1 hour so far. So that is really bad. That is at 30% brightness.

I think the biggest drain I saw all day has something to do with the Driving Feature enabled. This AM on commute, I had that feature turn on, which let me answer texts etc using voice commands. Seemed like a nice idea - but on a 1 hour commute, with Bluetooth streaming while it was on, burned through 30% battery. Seemed like it was constantly searching for cloud Moto signal or something?

Google Services seems to be big hog as well as Android OS. Hoping that is a first day thing or something.

So I'm hoping its just a matter of turning off some features like that one. Maybe the motion sensors as well. But stinks to get a new phone with new features and be struggling to turn stuff off to make it through a day. Had been hoping to at least be able to leave bluetooth and GPS on all day, and hopefully the active notifications from Moto. Will try that AM tomorrow.
    Might want to charge it while on your 1 hour commute.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-21-2015 03:47 PM
    Wow - first full day with normal usage and its really bad. Like something must be wrong bad. Off charger at 7am and now its 4pm, and I'm at 30%. Would definitely need to charge to make it to this evening. Can't keep this phone if I can't get a full day of normal usage and today wasnt that heavy a usage.

Looks like Screen On Time is only 1 hour so far. So that is really bad. That is at 30% brightness.

I think the biggest drain I saw all day has something to do with the Driving Feature enabled. This AM on commute, I had that feature turn on, which let me answer texts etc using voice commands. Seemed like a nice idea - but on a 1 hour commute, with Bluetooth streaming while it was on, burned through 30% battery. Seemed like it was constantly searching for cloud Moto signal or something?

Google Services seems to be big hog as well as Android OS. Hoping that is a first day thing or something.

So I'm hoping its just a matter of turning off some features like that one. Maybe the motion sensors as well. But stinks to get a new phone with new features and be struggling to turn stuff off to make it through a day. Had been hoping to at least be able to leave bluetooth and GPS on all day, and hopefully the active notifications from Moto. Will try that AM tomorrow.
    That's pretty abysmal. You're right, crappy to have a new phone with all these new features if you have to kill them just to get through a day
    alon3232 likes this.
    09-21-2015 04:14 PM

Thats odd... Im having excellent battery life with my pure edition 2015. In fact, i came home with 53% battery after streaming Iheartradio for 5+ hours on 4G LTE, 1 hour screen on, and 11 hours off the hook. Keep in mind that my work gots no wifi and that my moto 2013 would be dead by now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-313.jpg   How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-314.jpg   How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-315.jpg  
    jasmeer oberoi likes this.
    09-21-2015 04:35 PM
    Thats odd... Im having excellent battery life with my pure edition 2015. In fact, i came home with 53% battery after streaming Iheartradio for 5+ hours on 4G LTE, 1 hour screen on, and 11 hours off the hook. Keep in mind that my work gots no wifi and that my moto 2013 would be dead by now.

Streaming music usually leaves the screen off for most of it.

(which is why SOT isn't the end all/be all metric for me personally)
    09-21-2015 04:57 PM

That is to most people, very light use One hour SOT- of course battery life should be stupendously amazing. That though would probably only equate to 2.5 hours SOT, considering most of the weight of use is the display. So far for my normal use compared to the Note 4 and stock battery, I am not making it through a day. Battery life (so far) seems about 30% less than my Note 4- based on my own personal use with the Note 4 for the last year.

Still, I LIKE this device. Just like a girlfriend you like, but she has some glaring flaws. Girls can replace with "boyfriend and boy". Same thing

I am hoping my initial results are biased by new device usage syndrome. Plan on keeping this puppy
    09-21-2015 05:03 PM
    Might want to charge it while on your 1 hour commute.
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Why not charge it while driving.
    Ry likes this.
    09-21-2015 07:03 PM
    Streaming music usually leaves the screen off for most of it.

(which is why SOT isn't the end all/be all metric for me personally)
    im at 2hours and 25min SOT with 5 hours iheartradio on lte, and 14 hours off the plug so far.

Ry and jasmeer oberoi like this.
    09-21-2015 07:55 PM
    That is exactly what I was thinking. Why not charge it while driving.
    I've never had a smart phone I didn't charge whenever I'm driving.

VoltaicShock and Ry like this.
    09-21-2015 07:57 PM
    The screenshots I see in this thread exhibit the Lollipop mobile radio active bug. A phone without the bug will typically have the screen as the #1 battery drain and it will be at least 5 times greater than the next item on the battery list. There are three things you can do:

1. You can go the to the Google lollipop MRA bug tracker website and star the issue to register your displeasure. It already has over 3400 stars so this won't mean much, but it is something.
    2. Wait for marshmallow to be released since the bug will reportedly be fixed
    3. Return the phone to Motorola and be sure to mention it is due to the horrible battery life due to the mobile radio active bug. Then perhaps they will lean on Google to more quickly address the issue.
    09-21-2015 10:18 PM
    WiFi being used almost the whole time with no Bluetooth & screen at 50% I managed to get 10 hrs of use going from from 95%-2% and got 4.5 hrs of SOT
    09-22-2015 08:24 AM
    That is to most people, very light use One hour SOT- of course battery life should be stupendously amazing. That though would probably only equate to 2.5 hours SOT, considering most of the weight of use is the display. So far for my normal use compared to the Note 4 and stock battery, I am not making it through a day. Battery life (so far) seems about 30% less than my Note 4- based on my own personal use with the Note 4 for the last year.

Still, I LIKE this device. Just like a girlfriend you like, but she has some glaring flaws. Girls can replace with "boyfriend and boy". Same thing

I am hoping my initial results are biased by new device usage syndrome. Plan on keeping this puppy
    Rushmore,
    You might want to look at your 14-day return expiration date and see where it stands with the Nexus 6 announcement and pre-order (9/29). The new Nexus 6 has some key features missing from the X, along with a forecasted 3500mah battery.

Just sayin......
    09-22-2015 11:35 AM
    I watch one review and the guy who review the X mentioned that his X get most battery on Sprint network 6 hours SOT and not good on AT&T..
    09-22-2015 02:42 PM
    I watch one review and the guy who review the X mentioned that his X get most battery on Sprint network 6 hours SOT and not good on AT&T..
    As someone with AT&T I can definitely say that the Lollipop cell standby bug is eating into my battery life, usually about 10% to 15% per day. Not as bad as it was on my S6, but it is there. Turning off VoLTE/Enhanced LTE helped on my S6 but I don't have the option on the X. I'm still getting around 19 to 20 hours with 3 to 4 hours SoT though, provided I stay on WiFi.
    09-22-2015 02:58 PM

You're not going to get results based on 1 day of use. The battery needs to be conditioned and charged multiple times before you see any results. A full week of use and charging will tell you how the battery life is.
    YeahMon360 likes this.
    09-22-2015 03:03 PM
    Network and network coverage will play a big role in battery life.

Another reason I don't only go by SOT.
    09-22-2015 03:05 PM
    As someone with AT&T I can definitely say that the Lollipop cell standby bug is eating into my battery life, usually about 10% to 15% per day. Not as bad as it was on my S6, but it is there. Turning off VoLTE/Enhanced LTE helped on my S6 but I don't have the option on the X. I'm still getting around 19 to 20 hours with 3 to 4 hours SoT though, provided I stay on WiFi.
    This is why I can't wait to get M on my 2014, Lollipop does not play well with it. Can't come soon enough.
    09-22-2015 03:11 PM
    I'm seeing some decent improvement after having the device for a week now. I tend to be able to get about 4 hours screen on time and it lasts me all day without issue. I'm curious if anyone else has seen marked improvement with time. When I first got it I could barely get over two hours sot. Seems it needs some conditioning.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Ry likes this.
    09-22-2015 03:58 PM
    I'm seeing some decent improvement after having the device for a week now. I tend to be able to get about 4 hours screen on time and it lasts me all day without issue. I'm curious if anyone else has seen marked improvement with time. When I first got it I could barely get over two hours sot. Seems it needs some conditioning.

Mine has done the same. I think some of the Google stuff gets less aggressive with sending location data, etc, after a week of so of 'leanring'. All my phones have gotten better battery life after a few weeks use.
    Ry likes this.
    09-22-2015 04:05 PM

Yes. When I first got it I was concerned. 3.5hrs SOT was what I was getting. Now I'm feeling much better about this phone. I'm at ~3hrs SOT and I still have 45% remaining. That is a good mix of WiFi and LTE and lots of chrome browsing too. I got this yesterday, although to be fair a little over an hr was ereading on WiFi. But I didn't have to charge my phone the whole day starting from 6am and using it a lot on a 40min commute both ways.

Attached Thumbnails How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-1303.jpg  
    Ry and VoltaicShock like this.
    09-22-2015 06:14 PM
    Yes. When I first got it I was concerned. 3.5hrs SOT was what I was getting. Now I'm feeling much better about this phone. I'm at ~3hrs SOT and I still have 45% remaining. That is a good mix of WiFi and LTE and lots of chrome browsing too. I got this yesterday, although to be fair a little over an hr was ereading on WiFi. But I didn't have to charge my phone the whole day starting from 6am and using it a lot on a 40min commute both ways.

Nice!
    09-22-2015 06:24 PM
    The screenshots I see in this thread exhibit the Lollipop mobile radio active bug. A phone without the bug will typically have the screen as the #1 battery drain and it will be at least 5 times greater than the next item on the battery list. There are three things you can do:

1. You can go the to the Google lollipop MRA bug tracker website and star the issue to register your displeasure. It already has over 3400 stars so this won't mean much, but it is something.
    2. Wait for marshmallow to be released since the bug will reportedly be fixed
    3. Return the phone to Motorola and be sure to mention it is due to the horrible battery life due to the mobile radio active bug. Then perhaps they will lean on Google to more quickly address the issue.
    For those wondering here is a link about the issue:

https://code.google.com/p/android/is...tail?id=165558
    09-22-2015 08:51 PM
    Rushmore,
    You might want to look at your 14-day return expiration date and see where it stands with the Nexus 6 announcement and pre-order (9/29). The new Nexus 6 has some key features missing from the X, along with a forecasted 3500mah battery.

Just sayin......

But no SD slot. That is an absolute killer for me. At least until a 256GB exists with Moto I have a 200GB card in my 64GB Pure. Doing fine too

Here is GSM's battery life review (one of the more respected for battery life tests). Above average, but not better than the Samsung's. Their screen on time is higher than other reviews, but their video playback time is equal to the other reviews.

Moto X Style (Pure Edition) review: Made to order - page 3 - GSMArena.com
    09-22-2015 09:41 PM
    Network and network coverage will play a big role in battery life.

Another reason I don't only go by SOT.

Big time. Seems better really to turn off data until you need it. That way you still get texts and calls Unless you use social apps- need data for that.
    09-22-2015 09:44 PM
    Here ya go. Over 21 hours off charger and about 4 hrs 40 min of SOT. If I really took the effort and actually had a reason to be on my phone more, I should have no issues hitting 6 hrs SOT (obviously not with 21 hours off the charger, though). This is with WiFi always on, high accuracy location and adaptive display on.
    High accurately location can eat your battery and drained like no tomorrow. Just a little hint

09-22-2015 11:43 PM
    I was all day long on LTE only. Getting at most 3.5hrs SOT. Even 3hrs I'd say. Cannot even touch my previous Z3 with 5hrs.
    09-22-2015 11:58 PM
464 ... 34567 ...