09-09-2016 03:01 PM
464 ... 56789 ...
tools
    All the active notifications and eye movement sensors impact battery life. Turning that stuff off, the battery went up by at least 15% for me. Also the relative brightness impacts as well. I had my Note 4 set to 40% brightness and 20% is the same brightness on the Pure, so I leave it there.

The GPU on the 808 seems to run hotter than the 805 when going all out and an issue with the G4 as well. Motorola needs to add a throttle option, since most apps do not need the GPU running at maximum overdrive. The 805 handles most games and all apps smoothly capping the 805 at 70% (that is what the Note 4 throttles as max with Samsung's power save option). This is not the same thing as the stock power save option on the Pure, since the Pure throttles a lot more stuff than just the chipset and very low.

Motorola should have put more thought into this and added a throttle option for users. The 808 seems to not be a very self-efficient chip and needs the user intervention with throttle caps.
    09-25-2015 07:45 AM
    I hear you man. My battery life has been getting steadily worse every day I use it. I went from 14 hours with 4 hours SOT, now down to 3 hours over 12 hours. I have installed only bare essentials so far (not even facebook) and it's just getting worse. I have good reception right now and I'm at 90% with 20 mins SOT and 40 mins off the charger. At that rate I'll get 3.3 hours and 6.7 hours off the charger. WTF?

This and the terrible viewing angles are what have me second guessing it. You lose about half your brightness if you're 30 degrees off from facing it directly. It also refuses to pair with either of my Bluetooth speakers. I'm a week into my purchase, so if this doesn't clear up over the weekend I'm sending it back. I really wanted to love this guy, too...
    09-25-2015 08:22 AM
    Then carrier bloat killed it, ruined the battery life. Sold it, and eventually got the Moto x Pure thinking no carrier bloat will kill this guy!
    My G4 only suffered when bloat hindered it. I bought the pure specifically because bloat wouldn't be there but it seems hindered anyways.
    Without any details or screenshots of how you use the phone no one can help you.

Battery life discussions tend to get crazy because you get people who get crazy SOT but have location, bluetooth, nfc... all off, no accounts syncing, screen brightness at 2%, never leave a strong wifi signal....etc. you get the point. Those same people can't fathom the idea that anybody would use their phone any differently than they do. You also get people on the complete other end of the spectrum and everywhere in between.

You seem to equate battery life solely with Bloatware, and while I hate Bloat as much as anybody there's a lot of other contributing factors that will have a much bigger impact.

Try looking at your usage graphs and stats in the battery settings and actually seeing where your battery is going. Signal strength plays a huge roll and basing your opinions of a phone on the battery life for 1 day that you knew you had no signal sounds like you just want people to back you up and make you feel better about buying another new phone.

If you are just looking for an excuse to go back to LG then just do it, if you genuinely want to use the moto then don't be so rash and be willing to try things or even a factory reset. Or, for someone with SOT as low as yours but prioritizes battery life look at a droid turbo or something like that.
    09-25-2015 09:25 AM
    I have seen improvements as well which is encouraging.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    09-25-2015 11:53 AM
    Had my phone since Friday. Battery is getting more consistent and lasting a set amount of hours for me. 4 hours SOT is decent. Slightly better than my G4. Adaptive display is on along with a solid WiFi and location. I'm a happy camper.

Posted via my New Moto X Pure 32GB Verizon
    Attached Thumbnails How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-894.jpg  
    09-25-2015 12:09 PM
    Without any details or screenshots of how you use the phone no one can help you.

Battery life discussions tend to get crazy because you get people who get crazy SOT but have location, bluetooth, nfc... all off, no accounts syncing, screen brightness at 2%, never leave a strong wifi signal....etc. you get the point. Those same people can't fathom the idea that anybody would use their phone any differently than they do. You also get people on the complete other end of the spectrum and everywhere in between.

You seem to equate battery life solely with Bloatware, and while I hate Bloat as much as anybody there's a lot of other contributing factors that will have a much bigger impact.

Try looking at your usage graphs and stats in the battery settings and actually seeing where your battery is going. Signal strength plays a huge roll and basing your opinions of a phone on the battery life for 1 day that you knew you had no signal sounds like you just want people to back you up and make you feel better about buying another new phone.

If you are just looking for an excuse to go back to LG then just do it, if you genuinely want to use the moto then don't be so rash and be willing to try things or even a factory reset. Or, for someone with SOT as low as yours but prioritizes battery life look at a droid turbo or something like that.
    I'm really just looking to get the same battery life i got out of the same battery size with a similar screen size.

I understand the bloat confusion. Here's the back story

I had the TMO G4 and it was doing AMAZING. Then suddenly a TMO app went rogue, started showing up on battery stats as bine up to 30% of my battery usage. Couldn't uninstall, couldn't kill it without rooting. Gave up and sold it.

My thought was since the only thing that ruined that phone's battery life was the bloat that a phone without any bloat and the same size battery would perform as good with a carbon copy of its apps and settings.

I'm not looking for validation here on my decisions to feel better about it, I'm more just venting and looking to other people's experiences that could be in similar situations.
    09-25-2015 12:40 PM
    I'm a light to moderate user. Talking about the phone of course. I was getting poor battery life and everything looked normal when I checked battery usage. I did all the usual battery savings things. I hadn't set up Moto Voice yet so I disabled it and my battery life tripled. It doesn't show up in battery stats. I use Dynamic Notifications for screen off messages and won't use Moto Voice. Battery life is fantastic now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-25-2015 12:51 PM
    So far the battery life on mine has been great.No problems.I'm almost always Max. out signal wise too
    09-25-2015 02:07 PM
    Here is a good battery life review when using youtube only.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
    huntnyc, VoltaicShock and czaplin like this.
    09-25-2015 02:13 PM
    In other words... the battery life sucks, simple as that. The Moto X Pure gets 30-50% less battery life than other android phones with similiar sized batteries (2900-3200). I wish Motorola would start making high-end phones for a change. They always end up with mid-end compromised frustrating devices. The Pure looks nice and all but it's still a big, thick, heavy piece of phone with bad battery life, average camera and ok screen. If moto could make a device with stock android, moto features (voice and screen), premium design and stellar hardware, that would be awesome. (Sorry, but the turbo doesn't qualify, the OS is never optimized well enough and omg the ugliness.)
    09-25-2015 09:24 PM
    I'm unplugging at 8am and generally make it to 5-6pm before a short charge.

Sent from a cell phone. Sorry for any typos.
    09-25-2015 09:26 PM
    Battery life after a week for me seems that the device is better suited for people that do not use apps that are heavy on the GPU: 3D games and VR as example. Like the G4, the Pure appears to have a slightly stressed GPU that results in heat and battery life taking a hit. I wonder if the issue is the 1440p display is a little too much for the 808 and explains why the 805 in comparison does not get as hot or drain the battery as quickly. The GPU in the 805 handles 1440p better than the 808, but the CPU is faster in the 808.

Game emulators on the other hand are CPU dependent and only run warm with good battery life on the Pure. Seems if you are a light to medium user that does not game much, the 808 is a good chipset fit, but for people that use a lot of GPU heavy apps, not so much.
    09-25-2015 10:44 PM
    In other words... the battery life sucks, simple as that. The Moto X Pure gets 30-50% less battery life than other android phones with similiar sized batteries (2900-3200). I wish Motorola would start making high-end phones for a change. They always end up with mid-end compromised frustrating devices. The Pure looks nice and all but it's still a big, thick, heavy piece of phone with bad battery life, average camera and ok screen. If moto could make a device with stock android, moto features (voice and screen), premium design and stellar hardware, that would be awesome. (Sorry, but the turbo doesn't qualify, the OS is never optimized well enough and omg the ugliness.)
    The weak link seems to be the 808's GPU.
    09-25-2015 11:28 PM
    I'm so frustrated at this point.

Backstory: I had a G4 and for a while I loved it. I was getting 19 hours off the charger 40 minutes screen on time and was at 76%

Then carrier bloat killed it, ruined the battery life. Sold it, and eventually got the Moto x Pure thinking no carrier bloat will kill this guy!

Day one: I am at 14 hours off charge with 50 minutes screen on time, and I'm at 61%...HOW?

I backed up from the G4 so literally every setting I can think of down to nova launcher are carbon copied.

I'll keep an eye on the battery but at this point I'm tempted to ditch the Pure and snag an unlocked international G4 for 399 and call it a day.

UGH

Any insights would be great. Could it be day 1 syndrome and the battery needs to "settle"?
    In my experience, the battery definitely settled in. On the first full day of use, I got 2.5 hours of SOT. A week later and I already had 1 hour SOT at 90%. Granted, I keep airplane mode on, only use WiFi, screen brightness all the way down.. You get the point. I expect about 4.5-5.5 hours this time around.

Posted via the awesome Moto X Pure
    09-26-2015 03:07 AM
    I think it depends on how much apps use the GPU and that is the main wild card. IMO the GPU is a power sucking demon and more so than others. It needs to be throttled.
    09-26-2015 06:32 AM
    Okay, I folded yesterday and bought a Pure from Best Buy during lunch. Those of you who have seen my posts know I've criticized the battery size that was put into the XPE. Well, I wanted to try it myself so here's my experience after only '2' charge cycles.

- Got home, unpacked it, put in the SIM, and powered it up. It started with 50% battery.
    - I plugged it in with the included quick charger, and started the app updates and downloads.
    - I check back an hour later, it's fully charged, and all my apps are loaded. I unplug it and start setting things up like I typically do. This goes on pretty much for the rest of the afternoon and early evening.
    - Around 10:30pm I know I'll be still playing with it while in bed, so I top it off to around 96%.

The charts you see below are after the 2nd Charge cycle. The brightness was set on Automatic/Adaptive and slider at 50%. The only optimization I did was to disable the google services I don't use (i.e. docs, people details, sheets, slides, etc..)

How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-screenshot_2015-09-26-08-36-17.jpg
    How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-screenshot_2015-09-26-08-36-31.jpg

As you see, I didn't sleep much last night... I watched a bunch of YouTube videos, played a game or two, and browsed a lot of sites. When I saw the stats this morning, I was AMAZED. With the battery left (20%) I can see going well over 6 hours of SOT with no issue. And this is without any 'settling in' time, which is really kind of confusing as all phones are known to have crap battery life right out of the box. It certainly doesn't jive with most of the reports in this thread, so I may have some sort of mutant Moto XPE.

In the top left corner you see Qualcomm's Battery Guru app running. I'm certain it had nothing to do with this battery life as it is still in 'Learning' mode, as I just installed it. (I've used it on an LG G4 with good success)
    09-26-2015 07:54 AM
    After a couple of weeks my battery performance is much improved. The WiFi seemed to always show in use, even when it was turned off.

Posted via the Android Central App
    09-26-2015 08:23 AM
    Okay, I folded yesterday and bought a Pure from Best Buy during lunch. Those of you who have seen my posts know I've criticized the battery size that was put into the XPE. Well, I wanted to try it myself so here's my experience after only '2' charge cycles.

- Got home, unpacked it, put in the SIM, and powered it up. It started with 50% battery.
    - I plugged it in with the included quick charger, and started the app updates and downloads.
    - I check back an hour later, it's fully charged, and all my apps are loaded. I unplug it and start setting things up like I typically do. This goes on pretty much for the rest of the afternoon and early evening.
    - Around 10:30pm I know I'll be still playing with it while in bed, so I top it off to around 96%.

The charts you see below are after the 2nd Charge cycle. The brightness was set on Automatic/Adaptive and slider at 50%. The only optimization I did was to disable the google services I don't use (i.e. docs, people details, sheets, slides, etc..)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-26-08-36-17.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	198527
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2015-09-26-08-36-31.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	198528

As you see, I didn't sleep much last night... I watched a bunch of YouTube videos, played a game or two, and browsed a lot of sites. When I saw the stats this morning, I was AMAZED. With the battery left (20%) I can see going well over 6 hours of SOT with no issue. And this is without any 'settling in' time, which is really kind of confusing as all phones are known to have crap battery life right out of the box. It certainly doesn't jive with most of the reports in this thread, so I may have some sort of mutant Moto XPE.

In the top left corner you see Qualcomm's Battery Guru app running. I'm certain it had nothing to do with this battery life as it is still in 'Learning' mode, as I just installed it. (I've used it on an LG G4 with good success)
    Hi there

I know you were on the fence about buying this phone and I am still on the fence about buying it in fact I totally dismissed it yesterday due to the phone heating up and some people saying the screen whites weren't that great so I was thinking of getting a Nexus 6 that are now reduced but the burn in bothers me with the Nexus and the whites don't look that great on the Nexus either!

But crikey I am amazed at that battery! My needs are really a phone that I can use for browsing the Internet and as a sales rep on the road a nice big screen so I can watch Netflix while I have my coffee and a sandwich for lunch, so I have an Xperia Z3 at present which has a 5.2" screen but I just fancy that 5.7" size and even though it is a bigger phone the Sony is too square and is very uncomfortable in my jeans front pocket.

I would be really keen to hear more of your thoughts on the phone in general as in build quality performance and especially the screen quality as I know you had major doubts didn't you

Thanks

Andy
    StenTuff likes this.
    09-26-2015 12:39 PM
    Andy,
    I'm really happy with the phone as far as fit and finish. There was a video review posted in this forum where the reviewer kept repeating over and over how good the phone felt in the hand, and now I know what he means. Compared to other 'big' phones like the Nexus 6 or LG G4 or Note 4 (I haven't held a Note 5), the XPE really is a great phone to hold. Somehow it doesn't feel big at all. I tried a Nexus 6 for about a month, and honestly it was just too wide to be held and used comfortably. The XPE is 'just right'.

The screen is nice and bright, and luckily it seems I have one that isn't warm (yellowish tint). Also, I haven't had a full Moto phone since the original X, and now I remember how GREAT the Moto features are (active display, active voice). I love picking up the phone and having the on-screen slider ready to turn it on without having to do a double tap or hunt for a side button.

If I were you I'd take the plunge. Like others have said, you have 14 days to see for yourself, or else you can just send it back. My other criticisms still stand (not future proof, missing key features that are in upcoming flagships: fingerprint scanner, wireless charging, usb-c). However, I guess for the price and the actual in-hand 'experience', it's worth it. And as I showed above, the battery life isn't an issue from what I've seen.
    VoltaicShock, huntnyc and StenTuff like this.
    09-26-2015 01:00 PM
    Thanks so much bpe4 for that and YOU are the one person who has totally changed my mind on getting the Style as I always wanted it but certain things were putting me off and as much as I like the Nexus 6 it is older and the Style is new so I am going to take the plunge that is WHEN it is released for sale in the UK as at this moment it isn't!

Any more thoughts and ramblings you have please post them up as I said I know you were very sceptical about this phone so if you are impressed thenI am sure I will be

Andy
    VoltaicShock and StenTuff like this.
    09-26-2015 01:06 PM
    Glad you decided to give it a try .
    09-26-2015 01:25 PM
    I can't complain at all about the battery life. I'm not a gamer, and I'd rather watch a movie on my tablet, so there's that. But, recently we took a road trip through rural areas. I had Google Maps running for 3 hours (battery only, not on charger), choosing NOT to dim the screen between turns. Battery was approx. 95% when we began. When I shut down Maps approx. 3 hours later, I still had 51% battery left.

For my usage & needs, I LOVE this phone!
    09-26-2015 01:28 PM
    People that post outstanding results usually turn off a bunch of things. It's not objective. Just go to gsmarena and compare battery life between Moto x pure and x 2014. The pure is actually worst in video and Internet (which already wasn't very good). Moto dropped the ball on this one.
    09-26-2015 01:51 PM
    Honestly, I'm not quite sure why everyone's battery results seem to be all over the map. In the charts I showed I was being very objective. I had NOTHING turned off from default other than telling Google not to sync services I don't use.

My only observation is that the SOT is very good on this phone IF you use it nonstop, which I admit even for me is very unusual.

I went from an almost full charge and played with it nonstop for 5 hours (YouTube, reading kindle book, and surfing). I did not play any high GPU intensive games. Using it this way, the phone seems to give you great SOT. But its far from typical use.

I think in any normal day where you pick it up occasionally, you're looking at 3-4 hours of SOT.
    09-26-2015 02:16 PM
    People that post outstanding results usually turn off a bunch of things. It's not objective. Just go to gsmarena and compare battery life between Moto x pure and x 2014. The pure is actually worst in video and Internet (which already wasn't very good). Moto dropped the ball on this one.
    Most folks are light to medium users, so battery life is fine. Of course, this device would have been at least $100 more and out of the business model they stated for this product. Take cost and multiply by 2.5 to remain margin whole at retail. A newer OLED display, chipset, and fingerprint scanner adds up. Frankly, I wish they offered this with a Premium Pure as a product option.

The only thing that makes no sense is the fixed battery. The layers on the back and lack of unibody design does provide design reasons for the fixed battery. A simple cover would have been even lower cost and afforded better heat dissipation. They could have still have the cover period options.

I think a simple GPS throttle would provide significant battery life improvement and no impact to performance. The GPU on this device is rogue.
    09-26-2015 02:17 PM
464 ... 56789 ...