09-09-2016 03:01 PM
464 ... 678910 ...
tools
    People that post outstanding results usually turn off a bunch of things. It's not objective. Just go to gsmarena and compare battery life between Moto x pure and x 2014. The pure is actually worst in video and Internet (which already wasn't very good). Moto dropped the ball on this one.
    Everyone has their preferences. Your choice is your own. I read the gsmarena review.

According to what I read in the gsmarena review, "Overall, the device's endurance rating is considerably better than that of last year's Moto X, though not the best we've seen in a 2015 flagship."

For my usage (web browsing, email, texts, videos, maps, calls), I don't care to drop the extra $$$ so that I can say I have a "flagship" phone. It's been a few years since I've had a Moto phone; didn't realize till I received the MXPE how much I appreciated the quality of their radios.

Why the hate? If people (like myself) really like this phone, what's the beef? What is it that you think people have turned off when you say "usually turn off a bunch of things"?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but don't put mine (or others) down because this happens to be the phone of choice.
    bpe4 likes this.
    09-26-2015 02:23 PM
    If Moto released a throttle for the GPU, heavier users would also notice better battery life and minimal if any performance decrease. The 808's GPU needs to be better controlled. Same issue on the G4 and why also all-over-the place battery life and heat reports. The three main battery users are display, chipset and radios. The radios are fine and the display can be adjusted down.
    09-26-2015 02:50 PM
    If Moto released a throttle for the GPU, heavier users would also notice better battery life and minimal if any performance decrease. The 808's GPU needs to be better controlled. Same issue on the G4 and why also all-over-the place battery life and heat reports. The three main battery users are display, chipset and radios. The radios are fine and the display can be adjusted down.
    Is this something that could be sorted out with a software update? I don't know how these things work so it could be a daft question.
    09-26-2015 02:55 PM
    Everyone has their preferences. Your choice is your own. I read the gsmarena review.

According to what I read in the gsmarena review, "Overall, the device's endurance rating is considerably better than that of last year's Moto X, though not the best we've seen in a 2015 flagship."

For my usage (web browsing, email, texts, videos, maps, calls), I don't care to drop the extra $$$ so that I can say I have a "flagship" phone. It's been a few years since I've had a Moto phone; didn't realize till I received the MXPE how much I appreciated the quality of their radios.

Why the hate? If people (like myself) really like this phone, what's the beef? What is it that you think people have turned off when you say "usually turn off a bunch of things"?

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but don't put mine (or others) down because this happens to be the phone of choice.
    Precisely. The Pure is a good device- especially for light to medium users, or even heavier users with charging options nearby. Still, the choice of LCD and the 808 chipset puts the battery life wind in front of, instead of behind the Pure. Here is perspective from the one year old Note 4, that also is supported by Anandtech's battery testing.

How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-pure-gsmarena_001.jpgHow's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-samsung-battery-test.jpg

The battery life difference is profound, but light to medium users will not notice since do not use their device enough to be impacted. No harm no foul
    RikkiRay likes this.
    09-26-2015 03:06 PM
    Precisely. The Pure is a good device- especially for light to medium users, or even heavier users with charging options nearby. Still, the choice of LCD and the 808 chipset puts the wind in front of, instead of behind the Pure. Here is perspective from the one year old Note 4, that also is supported by Anandtech's battery testing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pure gsmarena_001.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	198565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samsung battery-test.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	198566

The battery life difference is profound, but light to medium users will not notice since do not use their device enough to be impacted. No harm no foul
    Totally agree with you. Although my MXPE is not considered in the "flagship" category, it's performance for me far exceeds "acceptable", especially considering my old phone. I don't have the ability to flip phones every 6-12 mos., so the extra $$$ saved was a big plus; the turbo charger is another plus. I've used both turbo & regular charging since receiving this phone. I do like the screen tho.

Would be nice if Moto put out a software update to throttle as mentioned earlier. More happy folks.
    rushmore likes this.
    09-26-2015 03:20 PM
    Is this something that could be sorted out with a software update? I don't know how these things work so it could be a daft question.
    Yes, throttle options for the chipset are very easy to add. The Note 4 has it as part of firmware and simply caps the chipset to 70%. I leave my Note 4 set to that unless playing heavy emulators or games. Added: The power save mode currently in the Pure is not the same thing.
    09-26-2015 03:30 PM
    People that post outstanding results usually turn off a bunch of things. It's not objective. Just go to gsmarena and compare battery life between Moto x pure and x 2014. The pure is actually worst in video and Internet (which already wasn't very good). Moto dropped the ball on this one.
    My early impression, which I posted on this thread, was that the XPE battery life was an improvement over the 2014 X. After another week of use my opinion has changed. My experience is that the XPE is a marked improvement over the 2014X when it comes to standby power consumption. When it comes to active use, however, the XPE is at best equal to the 2014 or slightly worse. This screen is a power hog.

Posted via the Android Central App
    sloopjohnb likes this.
    09-27-2015 01:43 PM

There are people in these forums, and in many others, who turn off background data, syncing, and location services as well as dimming their screens to a point were they're almost unusable in order to brag about their incredibly battery life. If that's how they want to use their phones, more power to them. However, it gives a false impression to others who are going to use their phone in a way that allows then to take full advantage of the miniature connected computer they carry in their pocket.

sloopjohnb and kj11 like this.
    09-27-2015 01:50 PM
    I can't complain at all about the battery life. I'm not a gamer, and I'd rather watch a movie on my tablet, so there's that. But, recently we took a road trip through rural areas. I had Google Maps running for 3 hours (battery only, not on charger), choosing NOT to dim the screen between turns. Battery was approx. 95% when we began. When I shut down Maps approx. 3 hours later, I still had 51% battery left.

For my usage & needs, I LOVE this phone!
    Agreed.

I'm about a week in on Verizon & am very happy with the battery life, as well as the phone overall. I'm getting about 4-5 hours of SOT, but closer to the latter than the former. I am not a heavy gamer though, and I usually have LTE turned off unless I'm streaming video.

This is a zero-regret purchase for me.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure
    huntnyc likes this.
    09-27-2015 02:11 PM
    Precisely. The Pure is a good device- especially for light to medium users, or even heavier users with charging options nearby. Still, the choice of LCD and the 808 chipset puts the battery life wind in front of, instead of behind the Pure. Here is perspective from the one year old Note 4, that also is supported by Anandtech's battery testing.

Name:	Pure gsmarena_001.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	198565Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samsung battery-test.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	198566

Here here...

09-27-2015 02:17 PM
    40 min drive bluetooth and Google maps going Started at 71% battery ended 39% battery and phone very warm to touch.

09-28-2015 03:42 PM
    Maps is an odd one on the Pure. Sometime it strains the GPU (hence the heat and power drain) and sometimes not. Did you use basic maps or layered? If the display was off, the GPU would not be the issue though.
    09-28-2015 04:37 PM
    Burning through 1/3 of your battery in 40 minutes isn't normal for any device I've ever had. If mine does that its going right back to Moto. Stuck in customs now and glad it took them almost a month to ship it to me because if it blows I'm just getting a P.
    jephanie likes this.
    09-28-2015 04:55 PM
    Display was on basic google maps. Coming from htc m7 no drain or heat like this phone.

09-28-2015 05:01 PM
    I read this thread while waiting to get off a plane so I did a test going from the airport to my hotel.

I just did a 33 minute nav with screen on the whole time (and some googling at stop lights) and burned 15% battery and the phone was barely warm.
    Ry, huntnyc and BlueBlazer60 like this.
    09-28-2015 05:42 PM
    So after doing some heavy 3D gaming to intentionally drain the battery quicker and do some testing with the fast charging, I've come to the conclusion that I'm okay with a 3,000mAh battery with fast charging as opposed to a slightly larger battery with a bulkier device and no fast charging (in order for Moto to hit their preferred sub-$400 price point.

The most notable experience was that I drained the battery to 4%. I powered down, plugged in and, 50 minutes later I powered back up and had 95% available juice.

Considering their need to hold the price down to the $399 target, I'm very happy with their decision to include the fast charging instead of putting that cost into a larger battery/bulkier device. And I'd much prefer wired turbo charging to standard wireless charging. Because, in the end, you still need to be near a plug for the wireless charger base to be.

So am I the only one totally satisfied with the balance Moto achieved in this area?
    09-28-2015 05:47 PM
    I don't think of the 3A battery as "a little smaller" - I think it is rather huge. But otherwise, if that is the choice, I'd rather it charge quickly and be in my hand more time net. If a device wasn't lasting all day I might care more, but 3000 mAh seems to be plenty to keep this device going all day other than in extreme circumstances so I'm fine with it.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    09-28-2015 06:26 PM
    Personally, I would take the larger battery any time over fast charge. In my job, I am not around a plug in except in the evenings so a phone with endurance is important to me. My s6 active gets over 6 hours screen time on average with no special tricks. No I don't need that much phone time everyday. Usually a couple hours is enough. However, its nice to know when I work in a low signal area that I can still expect my phone to last me through a day. All this said, I love Motorola and want the moto x pure. I'm still monitoring posts about battery life and hoping to be swayed soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    09-28-2015 06:46 PM
    I was very worried at first, but in all honesty after about a week and a half in...the "balance" you referenced seems about right to me.

I get good battery life. More than enough for a full days use. Though on a 1-5 scale with 5 representing truly heavy users I'm about a 3. If I had to pick between a bigger battery and fast charging my default would be the bigger battery....but *only* if it was SIGNIFICANTLY bigger (i.e., 3500-3800mah).

Of course, Moto couldve just went with a 1080p screen and likely avoided all the fuss.

Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    09-28-2015 07:38 PM
    Exactly. A 1080p LCD screen woulda been fine at this size and would have been a great trade off.

09-28-2015 08:38 PM
    A weak signal area with GPS and the display on could drain and heat up more than expected. The S3 for me was the most infamous heat and battery drainer in that regard.
    On2Vegas likes this.
    09-28-2015 09:37 PM
    Of course, Moto couldve just went with a 1080p screen and likely avoided all the fuss.
    I personally agree but in this current time, the marketing spec war would be vicious against it like it was against the OG X with its 720p screen two years ago when 1080p was the rage. I think they felt they had to compete on the specs page at least to some degree.
    Ntchwaidumela and On2Vegas like this.
    09-28-2015 10:09 PM
    How do some users get 5 hours SOT? I get half that.
    Screen 20-30% brightness (adaptive off)
    WiFi on (most of the time)
    Bluetooth on only when needed
    Moto Services on
    Location on
    I get strong network signal (41-53Mbps down)
    How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-battery.jpgHow's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?-battery-details.jpg
    09-29-2015 11:12 AM
    Moto Services on
    Location on

Name:	battery.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	199004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery-details.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	199005
    Just when I think right I will get this phone I see a sot as bad as that and that really bothers me!
    09-29-2015 11:22 AM
    Moto Services on
    Location on

Name:	battery.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	199004Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery-details.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	199005
    How is that smartcam app using more than the screen. Something wrong there.

On2Vegas likes this.
    09-29-2015 11:55 AM
464 ... 678910 ...