How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any screenshots yet but I am seeing close to what I got on the S6, if not a tiny bit better. Yesterday I got about 24 hours with a bit over 3 hours SOT and today I got about 21 hours with 2:45 SOT. My idle drain is high though, I loose about 7% to 10% overnight (about 7 hours) and cell standby is usually about 15% each morning and is at about 12% to 20% at the end of the day.

Sadly I don't have a way to turn off AT&T's 'enhanced' LTE to get rid of the call standby bug. If I did, the numbers would likely be much better.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I don't have any screenshots yet but I am seeing close to what I got on the S6, if not a tiny bit better. Yesterday I got about 24 hours with a bit over 3 hours SOT and today I got about 21 hours with 2:45 SOT. My idle drain is high though, I loose about 7% to 10% overnight (about 7 hours) and cell standby is usually about 15% each morning and is at about 12% to 20% at the end of the day.

Sadly I don't have a way to turn off AT&T's 'enhanced' LTE to get rid of the call standby bug. If I did, the numbers would likely be much better.

Look in the Play Store for an app called LTEOnOff - HTC Thunderbolt. It works great. Switch your phone to WCDMA preferred whenever you want to be in HSPA mode and back to LTE/GSM when you want to be on LTE. I've used it on all three Moto Xs and a Nexus 6 (all on AT&T).

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Folks, please check this tear down video. There appears to be room for a bigger battery, so not getting Moto's decision here (weight concern?). I have worked in consumer and commercial electronics with contract manufacturing, a battery company and my undergrad is in both computer electronics and industrial technology (I have some idea of how this stuff is put together).

Also not sure why they went the non replaceable route, due to the material design they used in the housing. Odd since the cost delta would be nominal if anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuewklttaSc

Last edited:

mtva24

May 28, 2013
Visit site
battery life is just ok

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-12-17-19-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-12-17-19-16.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Screenshot_2015-09-14-21-36-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-14-21-36-05.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Screenshot_2015-09-13-08-03-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-13-08-03-03.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 190
  • Screenshot_2015-09-12-06-18-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-12-06-18-27.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Folks, please check this tear down video. There appears to be room for a bigger battery, so not getting Moto's decision here (weight concern?). I have worked in consumer and commercial electronics with contract manufacturing, a battery company and my undergrad is in both computer electronics and industrial technology (I have some idea of how this stuff is put together).

Also not sure why they went the non replaceable route, due to the material design they used in the housing. Odd since the cost delta would be nominal if anything.

weight and/or pricing issue ... it was weird that moto used such a larger battery in the play and opted for the smaller one here. I'm not at all surprised to learn that there was indeed space. moto and Verizon are huge partners in the US, and Moto generates about 25% of its revenue from that relationship. it wouldn't be that far fetched to think that with the turbo being marketed for its battery, moto agreed to back of a little.

either way, it's a great device. and I don't get some of the guys at AC suggesting it has a cheap, plastic feel. I didn't get that impression at all. I thought it felt great, and considering the size it's really comfortable to hold.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It's a conspiracy.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
weight and/or pricing issue ... it was weird that moto used such a larger battery in the play and opted for the smaller one here. I'm not at all surprised to learn that there was indeed space. moto and Verizon are huge partners in the US, and Moto generates about 25% of its revenue from that relationship. it wouldn't be that far fetched to think that with the turbo being marketed for its battery, moto agreed to back of a little.

either way, it's a great device. and I don't get some of the guys at AC suggesting it has a cheap, plastic feel. I didn't get that impression at all. I thought it felt great, and considering the size it's really comfortable to hold.

I don't get the cheap feel claims either. Feels every bit as premium as the 2014 to me.

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I unplugged the phone around 10.00. AM to 1.15 AM..so far so good...

Attachments

• 1442477661022.jpg
    1442477661022.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 134

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've seen nothing impressive with battery life. That's a place where they could have made a difference. But they didn't. Just another phone with average battery and average camera. At least they didn't price it like a premium

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I unplugged the phone around 10.00. AM to 1.15 AM..so far so good...

5 hours sot is superb but for me I like a nice bright screen as I know when some people claim lots of hours sot they have a really dim screen so for 5 hours sot what was your brightness set to.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
So far, it's about on par with my Nexus 6. I've only had it two days though, so I really need to give it a week or so before I can really make any judgments.

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I've seen nothing impressive with battery life. That's a place where they could have made a difference. But they didn't. Just another phone with average battery and average camera. At least they didn't price it like a premium

Premium: A word that shouldn't be used to describe any item that is a commodity.

Moto XPE

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using the PE after using a G4? Both have the same size battery but wondering how the battery life compares from the G4 to the PE.
I had the TMobile G4 and am now using the MXPE ... Battery life has been better than the G4 for me, and the X battery life continues to improve (I've only had it since last Friday).

With the G4 I was rooted and disabled a ton of LG apps/features, delete all T-Mobile crapware, location services was on battery saver, location history off and Greenify installed.

With the X the only things that I have off are attentive display (have no use for it) and approach for moto display (I find it to be extremely annoying as it's WAY too aggressive).

First two days were rough, but since then the X has been easily getting me through my typical day; and the moto features are awesome! Being able to respond to a text without ever touching the phone while driving is just plain AWESOME!

MOTO X PURE EDITION!

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I guess i missed which one of my 4 screenshots having 4 hrs SOT.

Sadly, you're not getting that like the majority of us seem to be. Other than signal strength, battery life is definitely app and screen brightness specific. When I'm indoors, I keep the screen at about 20% bright and it is plenty bright at that level. But some of the 3D gaming I've recently messed around with definitely hits the battery much harder than Words With Friends and Facebook. So consider what your app utilization is along with screen brightness.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, you're not getting that like the majority of us seem to be. Other than signal strength, battery life is definitely app and screen brightness specific. When I'm indoors, I keep the screen at about 20% bright and it is plenty bright at that level. But some of the 3D gaming I've recently messed around with definitely hits the battery much harder than Words With Friends and Facebook. So consider what your app utilization is along with screen brightness.

Ditto! The GPU use and LTE use / signal strength are two of the biggest wild cards besides display brightness. That said, those two things drain the Note 4, Note 5 and iPhone 6+ a lot more quickly as well. GPU and signal strength are the great equalizers.