How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
5 hours sot is superb but for me I like a nice bright screen as I know when some people claim lots of hours sot they have a really dim screen so for 5 hours sot what was your brightness set to.

I never dim my screen but with the X pure..30-35% brightness is bright enough for me..

Oneplus two 3300 mah with 1080p get around 3.5-4 SOT..without turbo charger I think we can't complain anything.

derekeh

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I really want this phone, but the battery life is holding me back. I currently have an s6 active and I average almost 7 hours screen on time. Sounds like the moto x pure is about half that :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I really want this phone, but the battery life is holding me back. I currently have an s6 active and I average almost 7 hours screen on time. Sounds like the moto x pure is about half that :(

Yeah, you better keep it - if you're getting that much SOT with the S6 Active, you better hold on to it. No way you'll get that with the PE.

derekeh

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I don't expect that much sot out of the pe... But when I see posts of 4 and half to 5 hours sot , it gives me hope that some tweaking or updates may make this phone closer to what I want and need :)

turf

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
We can't know what the potential battery life is for this phone since there are no Kitkat roms for it and Lollipop roms, with their battery draining bugs, get about 30-50% less battery life. Google finally acknowledged the mobile radio active bug in Lollipop yesterday, so perhaps that will be fixed in a month or two. I will wait until Lollipop is repaired or Marshmallow is released, then see what the battery is like. 4 hours SOT is not acceptable to me, especially without a replaceable battery. I will stick with my Oneplus One on Kitkat where I get 6 hours SOT (with normal adaptive brightness). I am not downgrading to that much less battery life.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
We can't know what the potential battery life is for this phone since there are no Kitkat roms for it and Lollipop roms, with their battery draining bugs, get about 30-50% less battery life. Google finally acknowledged the mobile radio active bug in Lollipop yesterday, so perhaps that will be fixed in a month or two. I will wait until Lollipop is repaired or Marshmallow is released, then see what the battery is like. 4 hours SOT is not acceptable to me, especially without a replaceable battery. I will stick with my Oneplus One on Kitkat where I get 6 hours SOT (with normal adaptive brightness). I am not downgrading to that much less battery life.

I will agree with you about the bug needing to be fixed. My Nexus 5 drains quickly.

What I don't understand is why do you need more than 4 hours of screen on time?

bholt6

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

With the battery life I've been getting I shouldn't have an issue hitting 6hrs SOT...if I ever needed to have my screen on that much.

lonewolfarcher

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Really really want to order one. But I was hoping for a bigger battery and better battery life then my 2013 X. Contemplating waiting for the Turbo 2.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat as far as battery, but will test it out and see if my own use does not my usual day. The 64GB w/card slot, front stereo speakers, no bloat, custom build, much lower cost and perhaps better radio reception than my Note 4- combined, makes it too good IMO to not at least give it a chance.

Also hoping there is less screen door effect for VR content than my Note 4 and it's pentile display.

Last edited:

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I really wanted this phone but for me I just know that the battery life will be nowhere near as good as a few people on here say it is as I like a bright screen so my brightness will be turned up more and some claims on here of 5/6 hours sot will no doubt have the brightness down at 20% and to me that is a non starter as I like bright displays and I bet the battery life is no better than the G3 I had and that was shocking so I am just going to give this phone a miss.

It is a real shame as I love the idea of a 5.7" screen and wanting a screen that size does limit my choices somewhat and the two new Nexus phones will be no good as the LG is likely to be a 5.2" and the bigger one is a make I wouldn't ever consider buying.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat as far as battery, but will test it out and see if my own use does not my usual day. The 64GB w/card slot, front stereo speakers, no bloat, custom build, much lower cost and perhaps better radio reception than my Note 4- combined, makes it too good IMO to not at least give it a chance.

Also hoping there is less screed door effect for VR content than my Note 4 and it's pentile display.

I had both Moto Xs prior to getting my Note 4 in March. I loved both, and switched to the Note 4 for the battery. I've come to really like the larger form factor, and if the battery results turn out well, I will probably switch back.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I had both Moto Xs prior to getting my Note 4 in March. I loved both, and switched to the Note 4 for the battery. I've come to really like the larger form factor, and if the battery results turn out well, I will probably switch back.

Can I ask your thoughts on your Note 4 as I also love a larger screen and did fancy trying the Note 4 even though I said I wouldn't have another Samsung phone I might just try and find one as I just think the Pure/Style battery won't be that great and a few reviews I have read say that the colours are more pastel rather than vibrant so I have reservations about that as well.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I saw a tear down on YouTube yesterday and a few people commented how it looked like it could hold a larger battery. Maybe someone will try to install a larger battery and tell us how it turned out??? Otherwise I am going to bed after about 17 hours average with the phone turned on and I still have plenty left over before I shut it down and put it on a regular slow charger. Don't like or trust those high speed chargers as I am convinced they will deteriorate the battery faster than normal. I don't care about my SOT because I use it for normal texting, email, phone calls (WOW phone calls on a cell phone) :confused: and the occasional Chrome WEB session.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Recap my usage and settings -

Auto brightness enabled.
GPS set to High Accuracy and always enabled.
WiFi always On even when I'm not connected to a WiFi network.
Bluetooth always On and always connected to a Motorola Moto 360 and Motorola Power Pack Micro.
Google Photos set to sync all the time (not just while on WiFi)
All Motorola Actions Enabled (Twist, Chop, Wave, etc.)

Device is encrypted per work policy.
I have to use AirWatch MDM including their Inbox/Calendar for work.

Apps I use everyday: AC app, AC Forums app, Instagram, Motorola Camera, Motorola Gallery, Google Photos, Google Chrome, Facebook, AirWatch Inbox, AirWatch Calendar, Gmail, Amazon, eBay, YouTube, PocketCasts, Google Keep, Google Drive, Google Hangouts, Google+, WebEx, Phone.

I have an hour commute both ways so Moto Assist via the Moto app runs for at least two hours. On my drive, I'm listening to podcasts via PocketCasts.

5 days in and I'm getting what I expected - a full day's worth of use.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Recap my usage and settings -

Auto brightness enabled.
GPS set to High Accuracy and always enabled.
WiFi always On even when I'm not connected to a WiFi network.
Bluetooth always On and always connected to a Motorola Moto 360 and Motorola Power Pack Micro.
Google Photos set to sync all the time (not just while on WiFi)
All Motorola Actions Enabled (Twist, Chop, Wave, etc.)

Device is encrypted per work policy.
I have to use AirWatch MDM including their Inbox/Calendar for work.

Apps I use everyday: AC app, AC Forums app, Instagram, Motorola Camera, Motorola Gallery, Google Photos, Google Chrome, Facebook, AirWatch Inbox, AirWatch Calendar, Gmail, Amazon, eBay, YouTube, PocketCasts, Google Keep, Google Drive, Google Hangouts, Google+, WebEx, Phone.

I have an hour commute both ways so Moto Assist via the Moto app runs for at least two hours. On my drive, I'm listening to podcasts via PocketCasts.

5 days in and I'm getting what I expected - a full day's worth of use.

Glad to know you are getting a full days worth. I am hearing some reviews saying it has poor battery life, then again I am near a plug all day.

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I was listening to 3 hours of streaming podcast's, 3 hours of pre loaded Spotify music, 2 hours of talk time and 1 1/2 hours of on screen time in my 8 hour work day and went from 100% to 48%. My 2nd gen Moto x would have been in the 20's with this usage. I'm liking the phone if I can get used to its size.

Edit: my screen was turned up to 50% which is actually one of the brighter screens I've owned. This screen is much brighter than the G3's screen.

Posted via the Android Central App