How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Wow - first full day with normal usage and its really bad. Like something must be wrong bad. Off charger at 7am and now its 4pm, and I'm at 30%. Would definitely need to charge to make it to this evening. Can't keep this phone if I can't get a full day of normal usage and today wasnt that heavy a usage.

Looks like Screen On Time is only 1 hour so far. So that is really bad. That is at 30% brightness.

I think the biggest drain I saw all day has something to do with the Driving Feature enabled. This AM on commute, I had that feature turn on, which let me answer texts etc using voice commands. Seemed like a nice idea - but on a 1 hour commute, with Bluetooth streaming while it was on, burned through 30% battery. Seemed like it was constantly searching for cloud Moto signal or something?

Google Services seems to be big hog as well as Android OS. Hoping that is a first day thing or something.

So I'm hoping its just a matter of turning off some features like that one. Maybe the motion sensors as well. But stinks to get a new phone with new features and be struggling to turn stuff off to make it through a day. Had been hoping to at least be able to leave bluetooth and GPS on all day, and hopefully the active notifications from Moto. Will try that AM tomorrow.

Might want to charge it while on your 1 hour commute.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Wow - first full day with normal usage and its really bad. Like something must be wrong bad. Off charger at 7am and now its 4pm, and I'm at 30%. Would definitely need to charge to make it to this evening. Can't keep this phone if I can't get a full day of normal usage and today wasnt that heavy a usage.

Looks like Screen On Time is only 1 hour so far. So that is really bad. That is at 30% brightness.

I think the biggest drain I saw all day has something to do with the Driving Feature enabled. This AM on commute, I had that feature turn on, which let me answer texts etc using voice commands. Seemed like a nice idea - but on a 1 hour commute, with Bluetooth streaming while it was on, burned through 30% battery. Seemed like it was constantly searching for cloud Moto signal or something?

Google Services seems to be big hog as well as Android OS. Hoping that is a first day thing or something.

So I'm hoping its just a matter of turning off some features like that one. Maybe the motion sensors as well. But stinks to get a new phone with new features and be struggling to turn stuff off to make it through a day. Had been hoping to at least be able to leave bluetooth and GPS on all day, and hopefully the active notifications from Moto. Will try that AM tomorrow.

That's pretty abysmal. You're right, crappy to have a new phone with all these new features if you have to kill them just to get through a day

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Thats odd... Im having excellent battery life with my pure edition 2015. In fact, i came home with 53% battery after streaming Iheartradio for 5+ hours on 4G LTE, 1 hour screen on, and 11 hours off the hook. Keep in mind that my work gots no wifi and that my moto 2013 would be dead by now.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 313.jpg
    313.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 314.jpg
    314.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 214
  • 315.jpg
    315.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 215

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thats odd... Im having excellent battery life with my pure edition 2015. In fact, i came home with 53% battery after streaming Iheartradio for 5+ hours on 4G LTE, 1 hour screen on, and 11 hours off the hook. Keep in mind that my work gots no wifi and that my moto 2013 would be dead by now.

Streaming music usually leaves the screen off for most of it.

(which is why SOT isn't the end all/be all metric for me personally)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

That is to most people, very light use ;) One hour SOT- of course battery life should be stupendously amazing. That though would probably only equate to 2.5 hours SOT, considering most of the weight of use is the display. So far for my normal use compared to the Note 4 and stock battery, I am not making it through a day. Battery life (so far) seems about 30% less than my Note 4- based on my own personal use with the Note 4 for the last year.

Still, I LIKE this device. Just like a girlfriend you like, but she has some glaring flaws. Girls can replace with "boyfriend and boy". Same thing :)

I am hoping my initial results are biased by new device usage syndrome. Plan on keeping this puppy :)

Last edited:

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Streaming music usually leaves the screen off for most of it.

(which is why SOT isn't the end all/be all metric for me personally)

:) im at 2hours and 25min SOT with 5 hours iheartradio on lte, and 14 hours off the plug so far.

turf

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The screenshots I see in this thread exhibit the Lollipop mobile radio active bug. A phone without the bug will typically have the screen as the #1 battery drain and it will be at least 5 times greater than the next item on the battery list. There are three things you can do:

1. You can go the to the Google lollipop MRA bug tracker website and star the issue to register your displeasure. It already has over 3400 stars so this won't mean much, but it is something.
2. Wait for marshmallow to be released since the bug will reportedly be fixed
3. Return the phone to Motorola and be sure to mention it is due to the horrible battery life due to the mobile radio active bug. Then perhaps they will lean on Google to more quickly address the issue.

bpe4

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
That is to most people, very light use ;) One hour SOT- of course battery life should be stupendously amazing. That though would probably only equate to 2.5 hours SOT, considering most of the weight of use is the display. So far for my normal use compared to the Note 4 and stock battery, I am not making it through a day. Battery life (so far) seems about 30% less than my Note 4- based on my own personal use with the Note 4 for the last year.

Still, I LIKE this device. Just like a girlfriend you like, but she has some glaring flaws. Girls can replace with "boyfriend and boy". Same thing :)

I am hoping my initial results are biased by new device usage syndrome. Plan on keeping this puppy :)

Rushmore,
You might want to look at your 14-day return expiration date and see where it stands with the Nexus 6 announcement and pre-order (9/29). The new Nexus 6 has some key features missing from the X, along with a forecasted 3500mah battery.

Just sayin......

eak1570

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I watch one review and the guy who review the X mentioned that his X get most battery on Sprint network 6 hours SOT and not good on AT&T..

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I watch one review and the guy who review the X mentioned that his X get most battery on Sprint network 6 hours SOT and not good on AT&T..

As someone with AT&T I can definitely say that the Lollipop cell standby bug is eating into my battery life, usually about 10% to 15% per day. Not as bad as it was on my S6, but it is there. Turning off VoLTE/Enhanced LTE helped on my S6 but I don't have the option on the X. I'm still getting around 19 to 20 hours with 3 to 4 hours SoT though, provided I stay on WiFi.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

You're not going to get results based on 1 day of use. The battery needs to be conditioned and charged multiple times before you see any results. A full week of use and charging will tell you how the battery life is.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Network and network coverage will play a big role in battery life.

Another reason I don't only go by SOT.

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
As someone with AT&T I can definitely say that the Lollipop cell standby bug is eating into my battery life, usually about 10% to 15% per day. Not as bad as it was on my S6, but it is there. Turning off VoLTE/Enhanced LTE helped on my S6 but I don't have the option on the X. I'm still getting around 19 to 20 hours with 3 to 4 hours SoT though, provided I stay on WiFi.

This is why I can't wait to get M on my 2014, Lollipop does not play well with it. :'( Can't come soon enough.

anon(632186)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing some decent improvement after having the device for a week now. I tend to be able to get about 4 hours screen on time and it lasts me all day without issue. I'm curious if anyone else has seen marked improvement with time. When I first got it I could barely get over two hours sot. Seems it needs some conditioning.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm seeing some decent improvement after having the device for a week now. I tend to be able to get about 4 hours screen on time and it lasts me all day without issue. I'm curious if anyone else has seen marked improvement with time. When I first got it I could barely get over two hours sot. Seems it needs some conditioning.

Mine has done the same. I think some of the Google stuff gets less aggressive with sending location data, etc, after a week of so of 'leanring'. All my phones have gotten better battery life after a few weeks use.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Yes. When I first got it I was concerned. 3.5hrs SOT was what I was getting. Now I'm feeling much better about this phone. I'm at ~3hrs SOT and I still have 45% remaining. That is a good mix of WiFi and LTE and lots of chrome browsing too. I got this yesterday, although to be fair a little over an hr was ereading on WiFi. But I didn't have to charge my phone the whole day starting from 6am and using it a lot on a 40min commute both ways.

Attachments

• 1303.jpg
    1303.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 138

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes. When I first got it I was concerned. 3.5hrs SOT was what I was getting. Now I'm feeling much better about this phone. I'm at ~3hrs SOT and I still have 45% remaining. That is a good mix of WiFi and LTE and lots of chrome browsing too. I got this yesterday, although to be fair a little over an hr was ereading on WiFi. But I didn't have to charge my phone the whole day starting from 6am and using it a lot on a 40min commute both ways.

Nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49