How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I offer this as a template to discuss battery life (alterations welcome)

Previous Phones: HTC Rezound (extended battery), Droid Maxx
Carrier: Verizon
Version: Unrooted, 32gb, used for four weeks
Battery Life Average: 11 hours, 5 hours SOT (screen on time)
Average Usage: Internet, no graphics intensive games, 2 email accounts synced hourly, use Facebook, no sync, some photos.
Signal: Mix of wi-fi and LTE, generally strong signal
Battery Management: Lux screen brightness (generally 20-30% inside, higher outside), Greenify (generally freezes facebook), mixture of location settings, use moto display (but not wave to activate), use moto assist, use Moto voice occasionally, Bluetooth on, connected to Fitbit Charge HR
What uses the most battery? By far the screen according to GSAM battery monitor. Particular apps: google+, Facebook, Chrome
Other Notes: Poor signal drains the battery extremely fast. Video recording drains battery quickly. Generally use quick charger in car, especially when using Navigation/Maps. Very low held awake (wakelock)time, standby battery drain is very good. Don’t seem to have any rogue battery sucking apps.
Overall: It’s fine for my use, especially if I need to quick charge for 15-20 minutes and gain a good bit of battery life if needed.

michaelosh49

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi i have now opo and planning to switch it to moto x pure
With my opo on low btightness i get 4.5-6 hours of screen time
How much time i will get with moto x pure?thanks

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi i have now opo and planning to switch it to moto x pure
With my opo on low btightness i get 4.5-6 hours of screen time
How much time i will get with moto x pure?thanks

It's hard to tell. It all depends on usage. Are you a heavy gamer? Do you want to enable all the Moto features?

Here is a video of someone talking about battery life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-P29WYvfFA

damian015

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
From someone that did the same jump, you will noticed the battery hit. About half more or less (from OPO to MOTOX)

Last edited:

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
From someone that did the same jump, you will noticed the battery hit. About half more or less

It will be less, but it may not be quite that much (though as mentioned it depends on what kind of user you are). I get close to five hours of SOT pretty consistently with mine.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure

Attachments

• 1766.jpg
    1766.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 146

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Just thought I'd bring in an update. I think someone else who mentioned bad signal as being especially draining on the battery,more so on this phone than others, is right. All I've done is be on Wi-Fi at work and home instead of LTE and I get two days of battery life easily. I'll be at fifty percent the next morning. Just a word to the wise.

Posted via the Android Central App

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Just thought I'd bring in an update. I think someone else who mentioned bad signal as being especially draining on the battery,more so on this phone than others, is right. All I've done is be on Wi-Fi at work and home instead of LTE and I get two days of battery life easily.

I got 5 hours of SOT when I was in airplane mode, it was wonderful ;)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Just thought I'd bring in an update. I think someone else who mentioned bad signal as being especially draining on the battery,more so on this phone than others, is right. All I've done is be on Wi-Fi at work and home instead of LTE and I get two days of battery life easily. I'll be at fifty percent the next morning. Just a word to the wise.

This device in weak signal areas drains battery worse than the Note 4. Ditto with GPU heavy apps. The Pure seems a much better fit for light to medium users- if sensitive to battery life. I am a heavy user and kept mine anyway.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

Sounds about right. Every phone I have owned if the signal is weak it kills the battery. You think devices would be smart enough now to stop trying to hard to get a signal.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Understand the point of the phone giving up on bad or non-existent signals...but what if it's just really weak and you need to make an emergency call and the phone just gives up trying to connect you based on some arbitrary setting?? Then people would complain that the phone gave up too easily and some poor person didn't get the help they needed because you couldn't reach anyone for help? Double edged sword here!

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Understand the point of the phone giving up on bad or non-existent signals...but what if it's just really weak and you need to make an emergency call and the phone just gives up trying to connect you based on some arbitrary setting?? Then people would complain that the phone gave up too easily and some poor person didn't get the help they needed because you couldn't reach anyone for help? Double edged sword here!

Shouldn't be an issue. Android M is tackling this by implementing Doze, which has shown great results already and will only get better.

It basically does what you're talking about, but only after X amount of inactivity. It won't be on or aggressive when you're actually trying to use the phone. Basically it's built in LeanDroid that doesn't require you to root. It's brilliant and I can't wait to use it on my Moto X Pure/Style as this is the ONLY issue with the phone. Other than that when it's fixed I'll finally have found the phone that to me is PERFECT, aesthetically, software wise, build quality wise AND battery wise.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Shouldn't be an issue. Android M is tackling this by implementing Doze, which has shown great results already and will only get better.

It basically does what you're talking about, but only after X amount of inactivity. It won't be on or aggressive when you're actually trying to use the phone. Basically it's built in LeanDroid that doesn't require you to root. It's brilliant and I can't wait to use it on my Moto X Pure/Style as this is the ONLY issue with the phone. Other than that when it's fixed I'll finally have found the phone that to me is PERFECT, aesthetically, software wise, build quality wise AND battery wise.

Remember - Doze basically needs the phone to be still - like on a desk. It can't be in your pocket or bag or purse and moving.

Nevpaurion

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Remember - Doze basically needs the phone to be still - like on a desk. It can't be in your pocket or bag or purse and moving.

Right. I don't think i'd want it Dozing if I were out and about or on the go, that'd be too aggressive for my taste.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

So for a mobile device, not exactly a point for savings (Doze is for sleep efficiency) ;) Folks seem to forget that there were also great tales of battery life for Lollipop that have not exactly panned out. The main battery drainers for a device are the display, GPU and cell radio in weak areas. There will be minimal SOT improvements since the majority of power consumption is hardware related.

Optimized power savings would be better served if there were focus on more efficient GPU governing and cell radio management (this is chipset specific- not Android). If people like brightness cranked up, that pretty much kills a lot of any expected battery savings, since most of the weight is display related- Unless of course in a weak signal area or using an app that is trying to calculate math and push to the full 1440p. Those two scenarios actually drain more battery than the display on the Pure. You can tell what apps try to draw to 1440p with math- the device runs HOT. Still odd how it runs ten degrees hotter than the Note 4 that has a higher micron fab. Probably has to do with the 418 GPU beating itself to death trying to keep up with true 1440p instead of scaling to larger pixel areas (720p or 1080p).

Again not talking about web or video, but apps that actually force the 418 GPU to manage every pixel to calculate geometry and physics. That is taxing.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So my signal at work hovers around -94dBm 46asm. Would you guys consider that weak?
That's very good. The dBm relationship to signal reception is not proportional, so even a signal of 109 dBm does not drain the battery too bad. There appears to be a bigger drop-off in efficiency at about 114 dBm. That is the case at least with the devices I have used with Verizon.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
That's very good. The dBm relationship to signal reception is not proportional, so even a signal of 109 dBm does not drain the battery too bad. There appears to be a bigger drop-off in efficiency at about 114 dBm. That is the case at least with the devices I have used with Verizon.

Well, my cell radio uses more than my screen. Not using a lot of data or any other indicators excess use.