How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
It is the cell standby? If so there is a known bug with 5.0 that is causing this issue. I believe it is the cell standby.

Dunno, thankfully I got a lot of those 2000mah chargers free at a conference last week so I can stop panicking if I'm away from a charger for over a few hours.

Posted via the Android Central App

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I don't have the quick charge version but I have the one with IQ.

And I stand corrected I have a 13,000 Mah external battery charger

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4745841

Looks like I can get 4 1/3 charges out of my device.

Yeah this one is IQ too. If my Pure is below 60% ish the charger cuts off immediately. I think it's a bug in the quick charge implementation in the Anker with the Pure drawing more than the overcurrent protection will allow.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Yeah this one is IQ too. If my Pure is below 60% ish the charger cuts off immediately. I think it's a bug in the quick charge implementation in the Anker with the Pure drawing more than the overcurrent protection will allow.

I will have to test this out once I decide to buy the device.

Can you turn on the charger after it cuts off to charge the device? It's really not that big of a deal as 60% should be good to go for awhile.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I have an 10,000 Mah Anker charger but I have yet to try it yet. I usually only break it out for vacations since I work at an office at a tech company and there are ample places to charge if need be. I really should try it out when I get my replacement Moto X since it seems some people are seeing issues.

My Moto X, before it went nuts anyway, was getting me about 24 hours with almost 4 hours screen on time. Overall Android L has so many bugs that impact battery life all 2015 flagships have suffered. Cell standby issues, Google Play services going crazy when off WiFi and you have a weak signal, higher then normal drain with bad signal compared to KitKat; it's just a mess. My X will drain slower in a weak signal them my S6 does but it's not much slower. I don't give a hoot about Doze at this point, I just want L's bugs ironed out. Without that Android is going to continue to have serious battery issues and Doze won't be a band-aide big enough to help.

MTeator

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I will have to test this out once I decide to buy the device.

Can you turn on the charger after it cuts off to charge the device? It's really not that big of a deal as 60% should be good to go for awhile.

If the phone is below ~60% there's no way to use the charger.

I plan to write Anker about it but bought it before a long trip I just got back from so have not had time yet.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
If the phone is below ~60% there's no way to use the charger.

I plan to write Anker about it but bought it before a long trip I just got back from so have not had time yet.

Ok well that is not going to work. I really do not want to buy another charger. Could you let me know what Anker has to say about this. I will try it out too once I get the phone. This worries me.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
When I was at work then home the other day, I got 3hr 50 minutes of sot and had about 25% battery left when I plugged it back in. When I'm at work I will check texts and facebook occasionally, maybe do some googling but not much else.
Today I used maps, driving mode (for about 40 minutes total), took and posted a few pictures and purposely spent a bunch of time on my phone at home. Sot was 3 hours 30 mins w 11% left.
Not great.
I feel like if I take more than a few pictures with this phone or do anything out of the ordinary, the battery will die, and since it's not removable...
Between the battery and it getting hot, I might send it back.
I love the way it looks and coming from suckwiz and an s5, this is a breath of fresh air..but I never worried about the battery in my s5 and the very few times it ran out, I could swap in a fresh one.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how the battery would compare to an LG g4? Just got rid of mine today and am considering one of these

ImTurningViolet

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't know how to add attachments before. Here's screenshots of my usage today.

Attachments

• 10803.jpg
    10803.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 10802.jpg
    10802.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 161

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Fwiw, your app usage appears a little high. What's high in there? Probably the navigation. Everyone's usage and needs are different but I think it's a good practice if you're using maps/navigation to be charging with a turbo charger in the car at the same time.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how the battery would compare to an LG g4? Just got rid of mine today and am considering one of these

They are about the same based on reviews. Considering same chipset, battery and display size- makes sense.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
When I was at work then home the other day, I got 3hr 50 minutes of sot and had about 25% battery left when I plugged it back in. When I'm at work I will check texts and facebook occasionally, maybe do some googling but not much else.
Today I used maps, driving mode (for about 40 minutes total), took and posted a few pictures and purposely spent a bunch of time on my phone at home. Sot was 3 hours 30 mins w 11% left.
Not great.
I feel like if I take more than a few pictures with this phone or do anything out of the ordinary, the battery will die, and since it's not removable...
Between the battery and it getting hot, I might send it back.
I love the way it looks and coming from suckwiz and an s5, this is a breath of fresh air..but I never worried about the battery in my s5 and the very few times it ran out, I could swap in a fresh one.

The problem is the same with the G4. The GPU on the chipset goes into demon mode with any app that tries to draw full 1440p and uses the GPU for calculations. This is why some 3D games you would think would run hot do not (scaling to 1080p) and some apps like Maps and others run hot and drain the battery. The 418 GPU is way over it's head as far as pushing 1440p beyond a UI, video and more static functions like web browsing. An exception to web browsing though is Chrome, since it also tries to leverage the GPU with some of it's graphics extensions- depending on what sites are accessed.

This is also why the 805 chipset in the Note 4 performs better, since the GPU can handle pushing 1440p without beating itself to death. It runs ten degrees less with GPU leveraged 1440p content. VR content is a good litmus, since uses the GPU to draw to 1440p in order to provide the split of 720p (two displays for lenses). VR content is very GPU intensive and the Pure gets over 120 degrees with it. Ten degrees warmer than the Note 4.

Folks should appreciate there is a huge difference scaling graphics down to 1080p and using true 1440p. Even though all 1440p is shown on the display, the GPU works a LOT less geometry and physics calculations treating the display like a 1080p. A lot of iOS games draw 720p and 1080p rather than full 1440p. Ditto for Android.

Last edited: