How's the battery life on the Moto X Pure Edition?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So after 16 days with the device and a couple full battery cycles... with really good mobile signal I can get 4 hours of SOT but the battery is under 15%, poor signal (like at work) it struggles to make 3 hours SOT, and if you go outside in the bright daylight maybe 1.5 hours. I have yet to have a great mobile signal and be on good WiFi all day, that is usually very battery friendly so I am assuming (hoping) 5+ hours SOT is possible under ideal conditions. I find myself charging mid-day quite often and carrying a small charger pack, something I very rarely did with Moto G 2015.

The battery life for high-end features like 21MP camera and 2k display are a tough trade off to get used to... the display is wonderful, bright, vibrant, and super clear, and the camera takes amazing pictures by comparison to many phones.

I am literally on the fence of switching back... I took out my G3 this morning and factory defaulted it, started setting it up, and about half-way through the restore decided it wasn't worth it and just dumped it and defaulted it and put it back in the box, and is again sitting on the shelf as a potential backup or test device device sitting next to my Lumia 640.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've found by checking adaptive brightness and sleep after 1 minute of inactivity, battery life gets better. Like I said earlier, I have a Huawei Android watch connected by BT, I'm around 100% when I start work and usually at between 50-60% when I'm done 8 hours later with moderate use (email, texting, web). I'm fine with that.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer: I am not an Apple guy, but am somewhat of a gadget guy.
Was running my pandora to my Bose off my MXPE while I was using my iPhone 6+ and it drops pretty significantly just doing that and nothing else.
Decided to shelve the MXPE for awhile and use the 6+ exclusively. Running pandora thru the 6+ again now as well as doing everything else with. Wow, what a change regarding the battery life. Nite and Day! I prefer android for sure. but having a phone last all day and night doing everything is a close second and catching up fast. 6+ is 2 years old and has a slightly smaller battery. MXPE is 7 months old and it feels like the battery is undersized.
Note to self: Next android device needs a minimum of 3500mAh battery at the very least.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Disclaimer: I am not an Apple guy, but am somewhat of a gadget guy.
Was running my pandora to my Bose off my MXPE while I was using my iPhone 6+ and it drops pretty significantly just doing that and nothing else.
Decided to shelve the MXPE for awhile and use the 6+ exclusively. Running pandora thru the 6+ again now as well as doing everything else with. Wow, what a change regarding the battery life. Nite and Day! I prefer android for sure. but having a phone last all day and night doing everything is a close second and catching up fast. 6+ is 2 years old and has a slightly smaller battery. MXPE is 7 months old and it feels like the battery is undersized.
Note to self: Next android device needs a minimum of 3500mAh battery at the very least.
I don't think that it's all Android devices in general, I'm beginning to think that the large ips display on the MXPE is a bit of a battery hog. My BB Priv has a large Super Amoled display and it does a bit better. Turning down the brightness and time-out time generally help quite a bit.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that it's all Android devices in general, I'm beginning to think that the large ips display on the MXPE is a bit of a battery hog. My BB Priv has a large Super Amoled display and it does a bit better. Turning down the brightness and time-out time generally help quite a bit.

No, don't think it's all either. MXPE and 6+ are both LCD. I keep the screen at 50%. Used to have it at 100% and saw little change if any when I lowered it. I always use the phone about the same everyday and some days are fine, some not. I don't think it's the battery anyway, it's the way the phone handles the power it takes to do the tasks. I boost the charge as needed so not that big of a deal. My next phone won't have less than a 3500mAh.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
No, don't think it's all either. MXPE and 6+ are both LCD. I keep the screen at 50%. Used to have it at 100% and saw little change if any when I lowered it. I always use the phone about the same everyday and some days are fine, some not. I don't think it's the battery anyway, it's the way the phone handles the power it takes to do the tasks. I boost the charge as needed so not that big of a deal. My next phone won't have less than a 3500mAh.
Definitely agree that the Moto X Pure's battery performance is a bit of a let down. Great backup phone nonetheless.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The MXPE has good battery life as long as the apps used are not GPU heavy and in a good signal area for LTE. The two things that hurt the MXPE though for battery life and both appear linked to the 808:

1. Apps that are GPU heavy nearly choke the device, resulting in battery drain and heat. The 1440p LCD does not help here.
2. If the signal strength is not good, the battery life when connected to data is bad and the heat picks up as well.

I am not sure how much of this is due to the device design, or the 808 chip. My guess is the combo of an LCD and the 808 is the issue.

BTW, you can tell how heavy an app is with GPU use based on the heat and battery drain increase. The app does not have to be 3D heavy to be GPU heavy. Even web browsers and certain sites can be GPU heavy.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Battery life and the failure for its "pure" status to mean much other than the first quick update to marshmallow are my biggest complaints. I really believe even using the turbocharger even moderately has degraded the battery over time.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I turbo charge all the time so shorter battery life over time isn't a big deal. It's going to happen to all batteries eventually

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I turbo charge all the time so shorter battery life over time isn't a big deal. It's going to happen to all batteries eventually

Agreed they all get worse over time. Some here as well as myself are experiencing some battery shenanigans tho. I use my MXP the same every day, don't game or anything very intensive at all. I don't count web browsing as intensive, but after a few minutes it starts to get warm and the battery starts to drop % rather quickly. When stopping it cools down and the % drops but much slower, more "normal" maybe. I'd chalk this up to just the way it is an get used to it, but it only does this maybe 40% of the time. The rest of the time it runs cool as it should for what I'm barely asking of it. Furthermore it didn't start doing this till the camera started to malfunction by not opening. Flashlight won't work either when the cam is on the fritz. An obvious connection. Reboot fixes, but geezus that's annoying. FWIW, I have not downloaded anything additional since all this started happening about two months or so ago. Phone is only 7 months old. I'm probably done with moto. Considered getting a Z, but decided against it. The MXPE is one of my fave devices so I will keep it for a backup. Have an HTC 10 enroute . If it disappoints I may look into a Nexus when released. There should be nothing making this battery heat like that. 113F is common. GSM battery tells me nothing is amiss. Well something certainly is not right. Then the next day it's fine, F'ing up whenever. Kind of a rant but my .02 re: the battery.

Zaku77

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
My battery life is pretty terrible at this point. I think this is the worst battery performance I've ever had from a phone. I'm getting a note 7 this week just to have a shot at better battery life. Honestly, they shipped this phone with too small of a battery for what it is.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
^ I'd say that tells us very little. But I have read that rooted and properly set up battery life can be improved a good deal.
Just keep screen brightness down and stay away from poor signal areas, maybe even disable Moto display... the Moto X has decent battery life but the screen is the biggest battery user. It's idle battery use is pretty minimal as long as you have decent signal, weak signal will suck the battery dry in a hurry on this device.

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it's outstanding.
Really not sure how you manage to get that sort of battery performance, but kudos to you and enjoy it while you got it as it's not what most of us are getting.
My battery life is mediocre at best. I think this is the poorest battery performance I've ever had for a flagship device and I've had a few different android phones these past 2 years. Even my BlackBerry PRIV gets better overall battery life and it's not on the top 5 list of best smartphones. In recent weeks I've been scanning and reading all sorts of industry reviews in the hope of eventually finding my next best ever phone. At the end of the day, completely agree with many others that they designed this phone with too small a battery for what it consumes. I also believe that had they included a 5.2 inch super amoled display, slightly bigger battery and improved power management, that this thread wouldn't exist. Just my fifty cents.

Last edited:

tk42one

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
He has amazing battery "life" because he's not using the phone. When "standby" is your biggest drain, it means you're not using the phone. Standby is always the #1 battery suck on my phone when I leave it on the nightstand unplugged at night.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
He has amazing battery "life" because he's not using the phone. When "standby" is your biggest drain, it means you're not using the phone. Standby is always the #1 battery suck on my phone when I leave it on the nightstand unplugged at night.
I don't even get great battery life on standby. Yesterday after 14 hours on wifi, only 1 hour sot, my HTC 10 was at 70℅. In the same conditions my MXPE will be in battery saver mode after 12 hours.
There are plenty of things I love about the MXPE but battery life is definitely not one.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Yes, my screenshot was sort of a fraud. I am not a "power user". My phone is mainly a communication tool (talk, text, email, ebook reader and photography) and not an entertainment device or fashion accessory. However on my recent trip to the UK I was using it almost constantly: Google Maps, Hangouts, Camera and reader for down time (several guidebooks from Amazon). It always made it to the end of the day and longer if I forgot to charge it at night. I'm happy.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish