Speaker crackling issues at or near maximum volume on my Moto X Pure Edition

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I am noticing some crackling in my top speaker when at maximum volume. (or even a couple clicks below) It only happens when I play certain things. Audio books seem to do it the most. Turning off the "Audio effects" option in settings seems to mitigate the problem, but doesn't make it go away entirely. I also notice some distortion at full volumes...

My other issue is when i turn the device to landscape and back while playing music or youtube the sound goes out for a second each time it moves from straight to landscape

Is this normal or should I do a warranty exchange?

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure edition speaker issues..

Speaker crackling isnt but is normal, honestly phones speakers shouldnt be all the way up iv had many phones when played at loud sound there would be some crackle but your issue u say with audio books that sounds odd

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I am noticing some crackling in my top speaker when at maximum volume. (or even a couple clicks below) It only happens when I play certain things. Audio books seem to do it the most. Turning off the "Audio effects" option in settings seems to mitigate the problem, but doesn't make it go away entirely. I also notice some distortion at full volumes...

My other issue is when i turn the device to landscape and back while playing music or youtube the sound goes out for a second each time it moves from straight to landscape

Is this normal or should I do a warranty exchange?

I'd be hesitant to put the volume all the way up. I learned the hard way a long time ago, that it could permanently damage the speaker, and since then I've never tested it.

If it's crackling a few notches down, it's possible either you blew it out, or it was defective in the first place. Either way, is definitely call Moto and look for a replacement.

And I'd be careful on the next device about turning the volume all the way up. Good luck!

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

Kinda like the speakers in your car - doesn't matter what type but if ya turn it all the way up, they will distort a bit.

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site

Kinda like the speakers in your car - doesn't matter what type but if ya turn it all the way up, they will distort a bit.

i would tend to agree but i had a htc m8 with no such problem with audio quality at max volume . so i attribute it to poor quality speakers or poor quality control during assembly

RikkiRay

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I'd be hesitant to put the volume all the way up. I learned the hard way a long time ago, that it could permanently damage the speaker, and since then I've never tested it.

If it's crackling a few notches down, it's possible either you blew it out, or it was defective in the first place. Either way, is definitely call Moto and look for a replacement.

And I'd be careful on the next device about turning the volume all the way up. Good luck!

Agreed. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
so guys i called Motorola today and they definitively have some major customer service issues. I orders a 16gb moto x the first day of preorders and canceled it 2 days latter because i realized i need more onboard storage. the agent i spoke to in a foreign country assured me the order was canceled and my refund was on the way. I even got a confirmation email of the cancellation. So i took them for their word and ordered a new moto x with my credit card. I even checked the only line status and it said order canceled. So guess what showed up at my door this morning, Yes the canceled original Moto X !!!! I was pissed i called them and gave them hell for incompetence. All i was told was sorry the agent processed the cancellation incorrectly, but to add insult to injury the second moto x i had has the speaker defect. The agent told me i had to pay $25 for an exchange and i flipped. I said you mean to tell me that you screw up a cancellation and send me a broken phone and you expect me to pay $25??? I asked for a supervisor and still another person that barely spoke English say the same thing. So i threatend them with contacting the BBB.org . I asked for the highest authority and i finally got someone that sounded like they were from the states... She waived the $25 fee and gave me a code to build a new moto X and $50.00 credit for accessories.. So also assured me that she will process the refund asap oh and issued me two return shipping labels.. So i will let you guys know if its a wide spread issue or just with the one unit

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Like someone else said...most speakers will distort at full volume unless they are $$$$$$$ with CLEAN expensive amplification. This is a phone with teeny tiny speakers. I wouldn't even call them speakers unless you are the size of a grasshopper! As for the skip when turning the phone from/to landscape that is due to the stereo mix from left to right adjusting from vertical to horizontal.

mvasquez009

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Bad speakers on the Moto X?

I've been seeing more and more reports of bad speakers on the pure.. How many of you are experiencing crackling distorted speakers?

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
so guys i called Motorola today and they definitively have some major customer service issues. I orders a 16gb moto x the first day of preorders and canceled it 2 days latter because i realized i need more onboard storage. the agent i spoke to in a foreign country assured me the order was canceled and my refund was on the way. I even got a confirmation email of the cancellation. So i took them for their word and ordered a new moto x with my credit card. I even checked the only line status and it said order canceled. So guess what showed up at my door this morning, Yes the canceled original Moto X !!!! I was pissed i called them and gave them hell for incompetence. All i was told was sorry the agent processed the cancellation incorrectly, but to add insult to injury the second moto x i had has the speaker defect. The agent told me i had to pay $25 for an exchange and i flipped. I said you mean to tell me that you screw up a cancellation and send me a broken phone and you expect me to pay $25??? I asked for a supervisor and still another person that barely spoke English say the same thing. So i threatend them with contacting the BBB.org . I asked for the highest authority and i finally got someone that sounded like they were from the states... She waived the $25 fee and gave me a code to build a new moto X and $50.00 credit for accessories.. So also assured me that she will process the refund asap oh and issued me two return shipping labels.. So i will let you guys know if its a wide spread issue or just with the one unit

Their policy is very clear that you only have one hour after ordering to cancel.

Posted via the Android Central App

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Heck, I'm just envious that your order was shipped and you already received it....

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So I can hear it on the zeta ring tone at very high volume settings, but I can put music at max volume and not hear any crackling.

I also tried a podcast at max volume and heard no crackling. It's just the zeta ring tone for mine.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I hear it with the zeta ringtone and when I'm trying out all the different notification sounds. I don't hear it with the ESPN alert sound, the screen lock and unlock sound, or when watching YouTube or listening to music. I'm really, really hoping this is a software issue that can be fixed and not a hardware issue that would require a replacement.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't hear any crackling out distortion, however, it seems like my bottom speaker is slightly louder than the top.

Posted via the Android Central App

Riccardo C

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Like someone else said...most speakers will distort at full volume unless they are $$$$$$$ with CLEAN expensive amplification. This is a phone with teeny tiny speakers. I wouldn't even call them speakers unless you are the size of a grasshopper! As for the skip when turning the phone from/to landscape that is due to the stereo mix from left to right adjusting from vertical to horizontal.

my htc m8 does not skip and it has stereo speakers but in the mot forums they found if you rotate clockwise there is no skip just counter clockwise

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21